friday. freaking finally! this morning marshall made a comment about how fast the week went by. “it’s already friday?” he asked, with surprise in his voice, “that was fast!” me: “are you flipping kidding me? it has been the slowest week evvvvver!”
then i started thinking about the whole fast week/slow week concept. it is so strange how some weeks (or days, or months) can go by so fast and others seem to creep by at the pace of a snail. but when it all comes down to it, there are the same number of seconds in each and every day. it baffles me that sometimes when friday comes around, monday seems like a distant memory.. and other times, it feels like it was just yesterday.
sorry to ramble. i get fascinated by really dumb things. i won’t even get started on my thoughts on how crazy it is that you can go from being so, so, SO hungry one minute (like you’ve never felt such hunger in your LIFE).. and then you can take 3 or 4 minutes to eat real fast.. and be the FULLEST you’ve ever been. just like that.
i never said i was normal.
marshall and i combined forces last night and made an awesome dinner! it was too glorious not to share.
marshall said he wanted something with pesto. luckily, we had a big bag of basil (how’s that for alliteration?) from the farmers market. we also had all other necessary pesto ingredients.
while i know all the ingredients that go into pesto, i wasn’t sure of exact measurements. i had marshall google a pesto recipe on his iphone and he came up with this one from simplyrecipes.com:
we followed the recipe..
fresh, homemade pesto! for the most part, it was spot on in the flavor department.
the only change i would make next time is a little less garlic. i am all about garlic, but 3 cloves was even a little too much for me. i don’t think i will ever buy jarred pesto again.
once the pesto was out of the way, we worked on assembling the rest of the meal.
marshall seasoned two chicken breasts with salt, pepper, oregano & rosemary. he grilled the chicken on the barbecue and then i diced it into bite-size pieces.
i diced two garden fresh tomatoes.. a special thanks to emily for bring me some fresh veggies from her garden! what a babe!
marshall, AKA the noodle cooker (i hate cooking noodles), boiled this delicious spinach & chive linguine from trader joe’s:
and then we assembled it all in my huge pasta bowl.
noodles, tomatoes, chicken & asiago cheese.
in went the pesto!
i tossed the pesto with the pasta and called it good.
we also had a few side dishes. broccoli, garlic bread & marinated mozzarella and tomatoes.
i love having a dinner table of our very own!
after dinner, we took the pups on a walk and came back and watched season 2 of “the shield”. then i made peach milkshakes with vanilla bean ice cream.
this is the life.
i didn’t know what i wanted to flash back to this week. i got to thinking about how long i’ve been doing flashback friday. i wanted to see just HOW long i really have been carrying on this weekly tradition. so i checked the archives!
the VERY FIRST time i introduced flashback friday to blog land was on friday, august 7, 2009. over a year ago! wow, time flies. i love that flashback friday has caught on with several other bloggers and so many of you have participated over the past year. it is always fun to reminisce and it is also to take a peek into your lives “before the blog”. i have rarely missed flashback friday, but there were a few weeks that went un-flashed.
in honor of over a year of flashing back, i decided to compile a list of ALL the flashback fridays. kind of a flashback of the flashbacks, if you will :)
- #1: 8/7/09: august 7th’s through the years (2006, 2007, 2008)
- #2: 8/14/09: penny’s first vet visit
- #3: 8/21/09: penny’s puppy shower
- #4: 8/28/09: mable was dognapped and i was sad
- #5: 9/4/09: family trip to oceanside, california
- #6: 9/11/09: the state fair
- #7: 9/25/09: first 5k / trip to san francisco
- #8: 10/9/09: concerts i’ve been to
- #9: 10/16/09: marshall’s birthday
- #10: 10/23/09: i got penelope jane
- #11: 10/30/09: halloween
- #12: 11/13/09: randy bit penny
- #13: 11/20/09: body for life challenge after photos
- #14: 11/30/09: thanksgiving
- #15: 12/4/09: holiday parties
- #16: 12/11/09: my first pork tenderloin
- #17: 12/18/09: the december files
- #18: 12/27/09: christmas
- #19: 1/2/10: happy new year
- #20: 1/8/10: this day “X” number of years ago
- #21: 1/15/10: studying abroad in london
- #22: 1/22/10: my trip to italy
- #23: 1/29/10: i got deported from canada
- #24: 2/19/10: part of my trip to jamaica
- #25: 2/26/10: my sister’s birthday and our trip to california
- #26: 3/7/10: i broke my humerus
- #27: 3/12/10: wendover
- #28: 3/19/10: st patrick’s day
- #29: 3/26/10: the march files
- #30: 4/2/10: easter
- #31: 4/9/10: playa del carmen, mexico
- #32: 4/16/10: snowboarding season
- #33: 4/30/10: photo booth strips
- #34: 5/7/10: i got my tonsils out
- #35: 5/14/10: the cabin
- #36: 5/21/10: the may files
- #37: 5/28/10: my birthday
- #38: 6/4/10: photos of me & marshall
- #39: 6/11/10: camping
- #40: 6/18/10: j5’s birthday
- #41: 7/2/10: fourth of july weekend
- #42: 7/9/10: fun with the ladies
- #43: 7/16/10: photos from my childhood (marshall’s too)
- #44: 7/30/10: my wedding day, before the wedding
- #45: 8/13/10: my honeymoon
YOWZA! that is a lot of flashback action! so, if you are bored, you can click on one of the 45 installments of flashback friday. as for today, i am going to leave it at that.
i did create a page specifically for flashback friday, click here! you can leave any links to your own flashback posts in the comments section of that page. please do.
also, i updated my about me page. click, click!
hope you have something fun planned for the weekend! i am not sure what is on my agenda, i am going to play it by ear.
1. what is something you used to buy pre-made but now make at home? pesto is on my list now! along with spaghetti sauce and hummus.. although i still will buy sabra hummus every so often.
2. in honor of flashing back: what were you doing a year ago today/this week? last august 20, i was 2 weeks into a strict body for life, by the book challenge. you can read about it here. i was going out with friends and enjoying summer. i lived with 4 other girls. the thought of being married and owning a house was nowhere near my mind. i am baffled at what a difference a year can make!
xo. janetha g.