flashback friday: flashback friday.

by Janetha on August 20, 2010

in meals

friday. freaking finally! this morning marshall made a comment about how fast the week went by. “it’s already friday?” he asked, with surprise in his voice, “that was fast!”  me: “are you flipping kidding me? it has been the slowest week evvvvver!”

then i started thinking about the whole fast week/slow week concept.  it is so strange how some weeks (or days, or months) can go by so fast and others seem to creep by at the pace of a snail.  but when it all comes down to it, there are the same number of seconds in each and every day. it baffles me that sometimes when friday comes around, monday seems like a distant memory.. and other times, it feels like it was just yesterday.

sorry to ramble. i get fascinated by really dumb things. i won’t even get started on my thoughts on how crazy it is that you can go from being so, so, SO hungry one minute (like you’ve never felt such hunger in your LIFE).. and then you can take 3 or 4 minutes to eat real fast.. and be the FULLEST you’ve ever been. just like that.

uncanny.

i never said i was normal.

marshall and i combined forces last night and made an awesome dinner! it was too glorious not to share.

marshall said he wanted something with pesto.  luckily, we had a big bag of basil (how’s that for alliteration?) from the farmers market.  we also had all other necessary pesto ingredients.

while i know all the ingredients that go into pesto, i wasn’t sure of exact measurements.  i had marshall google a pesto recipe on his iphone and he came up with this one from simplyrecipes.com:

we followed the recipe..

IMG_0393IMG_0394IMG_0395IMG_0396IMG_0397

voilà!

fresh, homemade pesto! for the most part, it was spot on in the flavor department.

the only change i would make next time is a little less garlic. i am all about garlic, but 3 cloves was even a little too much for me.  i don’t think i will ever buy jarred pesto again.

once the pesto was out of the way, we worked on assembling the rest of the meal.

marshall seasoned two chicken breasts with salt, pepper, oregano & rosemary.  he grilled the chicken on the barbecue and then i diced it into bite-size pieces.

i diced two garden fresh tomatoes.. a special thanks to emily for bring me some fresh veggies from her garden! what a babe!

marshall, AKA the noodle cooker (i hate cooking noodles), boiled this delicious spinach & chive linguine from trader joe’s:

and then we assembled it all in my huge pasta bowl.

noodles, tomatoes, chicken & asiago cheese.

in went the pesto!

i tossed the pesto with the pasta and called it good.

we also had a few side dishes. broccoli, garlic bread & marinated mozzarella and tomatoes.

IMG_0437IMG_0436

i love having a dinner table of our very own!

PERFECT meal!

after dinner, we took the pups on a walk and came back and watched season 2 of “the shield”. then i made peach milkshakes with vanilla bean ice cream.

this is the life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

flashback friday!

i didn’t know what i wanted to flash back to this week.  i got to thinking about how long i’ve been doing flashback friday.  i wanted to see just HOW long i really have been carrying on this weekly tradition.  so i checked the archives!

the VERY FIRST time i introduced flashback friday to blog land was on friday, august 7, 2009. over a year ago! wow, time flies. i love that flashback friday has caught on with several other bloggers and so many of you have participated over the past year.  it is always fun to reminisce and it is also to take a peek into your lives “before the blog”.  i have rarely missed flashback friday, but there were a few weeks that went un-flashed.

in honor of over a year of flashing back, i decided to compile a list of ALL the flashback fridays.  kind of a flashback of the flashbacks, if you will :)

YOWZA! that is a lot of flashback action! so, if you are bored, you can click on one of the 45 installments of flashback friday. as for today, i am going to leave it at that.

i did create a page specifically for flashback friday, click here! you can leave any links to your own flashback posts in the comments section of that page.  please do.

also, i updated my about me page. click, click!

hope you have something fun planned for the weekend! i am not sure what is on my agenda, i am going to play it by ear.

1. what is something you used to buy pre-made but now make at home? pesto is on my list now! along with spaghetti sauce and hummus.. although i still will buy sabra hummus every so often.

2. in honor of flashing back: what were you doing a year ago today/this week? last august 20, i was 2 weeks into a strict body for life, by the book challenge. you can read about it here. i was going out with friends and enjoying summer. i lived with 4 other girls. the thought of being married and owning a house was nowhere near my mind. i am baffled at what a difference a year can make!

BroccoliHut August 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Beautiful pesto!
I def make my own hummus now too. Sadly, I can’t think of anything else at the moment…does homemade peanut sauce count?
As for last August 20, my blog archives tell me that I was just saying goodbye to my family before heading off to college.

april August 20, 2010 at 6:11 pm

1. Hummus!

2. Lets see.. at this time I was pretty much doing what I am now.. school!

Ashley August 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Your dinner looks DELICIOUS!!!

1. Macaroni sauce
2. My boyfriend just left for London and I was trying to get though each day. Tomorrow I’m finally going to move to London to be with him!

Erica August 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm

What a beautiful dinner. Tomato and mozz! So good together and the pesto looks fresh and delicious as well. 1. Pizza dough! 2. Um this time last year, I was eating salad and cantaloupe…which I also ate tonight….hahahha (http://itzyskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/stir-fry-lame-salad-bad-picture-day.html)

mom August 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

You are amazing! You have done SO many things and in the right order, like being married right now is the perfect thing for you, maybe wouldn’t have been so perfect a year ago – totally uncanny don’t you think?!?

Seeing your darling table set for 2 makes me proud – you are a great homemaker and chef and Marshall is too too sweet xoxo!!

Marisa @ Loser for Life August 20, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I need to make pesto STAT!

I used to buy hummus and almond butter, but now I make my own! Most of the time ;)

Last year… good grief, I’m lucky if I can remember yesterday! LOL! Yes, I am old.

julie August 20, 2010 at 7:07 pm

gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwjuss pesto!!! you and marsh made a great dinner :) and i love how you enjoyed it at your dinner table oh so romantic.

hmmm i’m actually going to go check out what i was doing a year ago today hahaha hold on one sec…

OH MY GOD I WAS IN CHITOWNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! hahahaha :) thanks for reminding me!!

Errign August 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm

1. I love your green mug the pesto is in.
2. Nom nom nom at your pesto dinnah.
3. I like all your travel posts! Did you totally love studying abroad?
4. A year ago, I was walking around town & obsessing over a new coffee cup, according to the blog. :)

jen August 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm

wow. that dinner looks banging! think i’ll be making it soon, myself.

a year ago…i had met the boy of my dreams, was getting good morning + all day long texts every day, and wondering how our situation would pan out. it was a very good summer and fall and winter and…

today, a year later…i’m very lonely, and i put on a happy face when our social circles bring us together, and wonder what i’ll be doing this time next year.

Lauren August 20, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Ok, how weird is this: I made pesto last night too, and used the exact same recipe. I subbed walnuts for the pinenuts since I didn’t have ’em and it was delicious. Ok, it gets weirder: my inlaws brought over grilled chicken and veggies, a truckload of tomatoes for a tomato and mozz salad, and I cooked pasta and warmed up my homemade wheat bread. So, all that to say, we had almost identical meals on the same night, across the country from each other. :) I wish mine ended with peach milkshakes though!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 20, 2010 at 8:19 pm

i LOVE making my own tomato sauce and its so freakin simple to make!!!

that linguni looks so good!! i have never seen that at TJ’s!! but chive and spinach? gahh looks and sounds so good!

you two are so cute in your new house with your new dishes!!

omg a year ago today? honestly my life wasnt so exciting or different than it is right now besides the fact that I am training for a fitness comp!! :)

love you!

paijery August 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Holy moly your pesto dinna looks suppperrb!! And peach milkshakes….gah. YUM.
Even though I still buy nut butters, I like homemade ones so much better :)
And one year ago today I quit smoking!! xx

lindsay August 20, 2010 at 9:27 pm

nut milk and Kombucha. Yes I can finally brew my own. Quite the ordeal though, haha.
A year ago, married and still traveling to races with the hubs. I also had just started my small business Healthy Bites (organic homemade snacks). Now we are getting into local stores, starting tomorrow, yea!!

Tamizn August 21, 2010 at 1:10 am

That dinner looks amazing! I used to buy almond butter but just make it now I have a vita mix its a far cheaper way of getting my fav nut butter x x

Kerry August 21, 2010 at 1:42 am

i’ve never tried pesto but that chicken noodle dish looks delicious! i may have to try pesto, hmm..

inmytummy August 21, 2010 at 6:12 am

That’s what’s great about having a blog, you can just look back and see what you were doing. I never would have thought of this, but last year at this time, I went to DC to buy my wedding dress!

Lauren August 21, 2010 at 6:45 am

I just made such a similar dish and it turned out amazing! I didn’t make my own pesto though but after seeing yours and how easy it looks, I really wish I did. How delicious!!

Hope you guys have an amazing weekend!!!

Kristin August 21, 2010 at 6:48 am

Aww, I love that you teamed up and made dinner :) And it looked fantastic!!

I buy about half my sauces now [out of convience] but I love making my own pasta sauce [marinara, vodka, healthy alfredo, pesto] and hummus. I don’t buy pre-cooked chicken or shrimp anymore! [Yes I did, about three years ago :P]

A year ago today… [had to look on the blog for this one] I was… Visiting Nick in Canada! We went camping && wine tasting and had a grand old time for our anniversary.

I did NOT think I would definitely be finishing culinary school know, knowing what I wanted to do with my life, love Toronto, have a cat, OR be married. Crazy!!

xo
Kris

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) August 21, 2010 at 6:54 am

I need to buy some pine nuts *just* so that I can make a pesto. Your entire meal looks absolutely perfect! :D

Angharad August 21, 2010 at 7:50 am

Janetha G (I love that you are “g” in my comments now!) I just can’t tell you how much my heart brims when I read your posts these days. I’ve always love love loved reading your blog for your personality and how it shines through. These days though, married Janetha is truly soaking up married life in a way I think many newlyweds fail to do. I love that you are fully embracing and indulging in time with Marshall and everything living together has to offer. You seem so much happier and so much more balanced. That is all.

Oh except, can I come over for dinner? That dinner specifically. I’ll take a peach milkshake for dessert too:)

lowandbhold August 21, 2010 at 8:10 am

I can’t believe you’ve been doing FF that long! Time really is a trippy concept, I totally agree.

Last year on this day I was in Virginia Beach visiting my long distance lovah, who I’m not even in contact with anymore. That’s weird.

The pesto sounds great! I wish I could say I always made mine, but I hate fussing with the food processor. I’m a lazy bones.

Faith August 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

Mmm, bookmarked the pesto recipe for sure!!!

One year ago today I was moving into my dorm for the very last time!!! Senior year went SO fast!

GetHealthyWithHeather August 21, 2010 at 10:28 am

I love love love pesto. You should try this one out using arugula: http://gethealthywithheather.wordpress.com/recipes/mixed-nut-arugula-pesto/. It’s super tasty!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) August 21, 2010 at 11:36 am

I NEED to try making my own pesto!! I tried making it once before when I didn’t have a food processor or my vita and it really, really didn’t work out. My 15 y/o blender wasn’t cuttin’ it. must. try. again. lol

Things I make at home now that I used to buy: hummus (but I still buy cedar’s garlic lover’s occasionally), marinara, bolonase sauce, salad dressing, frozen yogurt, salsa (still buy the jarred stuff so I always have some on hand in a pinch).

One year ago today… hmmmm, that’s a toughy! Probably going out with friends/ laying by the pool. Summa time!!

SheFit August 21, 2010 at 11:37 am

WOW! This pesto looks great. I’ve been making my own bread lately in my breadmaker. I think the smell that fills the house is more enticing than actually eating it.

Freckled Foodie August 23, 2010 at 9:20 am

mmmm i love pesto! i’ll have to get some pine nuts so i can make my own too!

i love days out with my mom. looks like you two had a blast! xo.