guest post thursday! danica p.

by Janetha on July 29, 2010

in meals

right now i am real glad that my good friend danica from danica’s daily wrote this post way-back-when for me to use when i needed it. because, well, i am a busy girl. and plus, danica’s recipes are the BEST EVER.. so you will probably enjoy this more than any of my rambling ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Meals & Moves Fans….This is Danica from Danica’s Daily.  I wanted to share one of my favorite EASY grilling recipes that is perfect for Labor Day, the best part is this meal can be made in under 30 minutes, is full of flavor and fun to eat.   I LOVE taking little bites off skewers as you chow down.   Enjoy!

Shrimp Skewers w/Spicy Mango Dipping Sauce

clip_image002

** You can make this VEGAN by using Tofu, a meat substitute or leaving the meat option off and replacing it with POTATOES.

• 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
    Dashes of sea salt & pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 lime juiced
    1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
    1 medium red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
    1 medium green pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
    1 summer squash, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
    4 asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
    Other 1/2 of lime, juiced
    1 jar TJ’s mango ginger chutney
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  1. Preheat Grill or broiler.
  2. Combine shrimp through olive oil and set aside to marinate while you cut up the vegetables.
  3. Thread tomatoes, onion, shrimp, pepper, squash and asparagus alternately onto each of 8 skewers. Pour remaining sauce of shrimp skewers and you are ready to go.
  4. If using the oven, Broil 4 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning once.
    If grilling, grill for 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are opaque.
  5. Combine remaining lime juice, chutney, and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. You may want to blend the chutney sauce if it is too chunky. Sprinkle with additional red pepper flakes and green onion, if desired.
  6. Serve sauce with skewers.

Makes 4 servings, 2 skewers with 1/4 cup sauce (4 WWP each).

Here is what they looked like getting ready to go on the grill.

clip_image004

And, coming off the grill ~ grilled to perfection.

clip_image006

I had a few extra shrimp that I grilled all on one skewer.

clip_image008

And dipped them in the Spicy Mango Chutney.

clip_image010

I made up a quick, Tropical Brown Rice to go with it. It’s so simple.

clip_image012

Heat up one packet of Trader Joe’s Frozen Organic Brown Rice in the microwave for 3 minutes.

Add in 1/2 cup Tropical Salsa (you can buy or make your own). It’s simple to make your own ~ combine: Mango, papaya, red peppers, cilantro, lime juice, jalepeno and jicama for crunch

Mix in 1-2 sliced green onions and add sea salt/freshly ground pepper to taste.

clip_image014

Thanks, Janetha for letting me post for you on your night off :)

Q’s:

1.  What is your favorite thing to grill? I think I LOVE everything grilled – It means less dishes to wash :)

2.  What do you like to use as your dipping sauce? Mine is BBQ sauce

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

janetha here. THANKS DANICA! i can’t wait until marshall puts our grill together so i can get cookin’! my answers are #1: kebabs! they are so versatile. options are endless. and #2: hummus or BBQ sauce.. or ranch!

xo. janetha g. & danica p.

Naomi(oneFF) July 29, 2010 at 4:19 pm

ohhhh my that looks so so so good!!! I love grillign things that normally you wouldnt think abotu grilling like brocolli and cauliflower or tofu! one time I grilled watermelon and it was so delicious!

Carla in Sydney July 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I love when we have breakfast on the grill…..bacon, eggs, avocado, mushrooms, tomato….YUM!!! Such a great way to spend a Sunday morning!

Laura @ Starloz July 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm

do you have a blog carla?

TheKetchupDiaries July 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love grilled pineapple!!!!!

Talia @ Texasgunslinger July 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Kebabs are my favorite, too, and we’ve been grillin’ a lot of them lately! Also, my husband and I love grilled eggplant! We drizzle eggplant slices with olive oil and then brush on. About a minute before they are done we sprinkle Parmesan cheese on it. HEAVENLY!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary July 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I’m really loving grilled veggies this summer… especially crook neck squash and eggplant.

As far as dipping sauces my old school favorite is home made ranch… these days, probably peanut sauce with grilled tofu and grilled veggies.

Great idea Danica!! :D

Laura @ Starloz July 29, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Omg, those flavors sounds insanely incredible. i’m bookmarkin this one

BroccoliHut July 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Grilled eggplant is kind of life-changing, and I really dig a peanut-based dipping sauce.

She-Fit July 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Summer is perfect for grilling! This sounds delicious and so healthy. I am going to have to try them out. I love grilling chicken.. I know, I’m boring, but it’s so good

TanyasDailyProductReviews July 30, 2010 at 6:39 am

what a great meal

Erika July 30, 2010 at 8:00 am

my favorite dipping sauce is BBQ sauce for savory things and PB for sweets! <3 yum!

Danica July 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

Thanks Janetha!!! Always glad to help out :) But, now, I think I NEED to make this again, it’s been too long LOL :)

Happy Friday – LOVE you!!

xoxo!

Freckled Foodie July 30, 2010 at 8:56 am

ohhh i love BOTH of you girls :)

1. i’m with janetha on this one! kebabs are my winner! chicken and onions, zucchini, and peppers! deeeelish.

2. for dipping sauce, it depends on the meal, but i’m a fan of anyy kind of hummus, tzatzkiki, and salsa!

bubblegumgymkat July 30, 2010 at 8:58 am

I love fruit grilled up mmmmm especially pineapple or peaches

emily July 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm

yum yum!

1. i <3 grillin eggplant!

2. tj's balsamic – it's great on everything!!!

Susan May 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I came across your website via some of your amazing recipes…I know this post has been out for a couple years, and not sure if you’re still actively updating it, but thought you might want to note a rather …questionable… word in your recipe that I’m hoping is a typo (regarding the squash). Thank you so much for all of the information, recipes, and inspiring story on your blog!