right now i am real glad that my good friend danica from danica’s daily wrote this post way-back-when for me to use when i needed it. because, well, i am a busy girl. and plus, danica’s recipes are the BEST EVER.. so you will probably enjoy this more than any of my rambling ;)
Hi Meals & Moves Fans….This is Danica from Danica’s Daily. I wanted to share one of my favorite EASY grilling recipes that is perfect for Labor Day, the best part is this meal can be made in under 30 minutes, is full of flavor and fun to eat. I LOVE taking little bites off skewers as you chow down. Enjoy!
Shrimp Skewers w/Spicy Mango Dipping Sauce
** You can make this VEGAN by using Tofu, a meat substitute or leaving the meat option off and replacing it with POTATOES.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
Dashes of sea salt & pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lime juiced
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
1 medium red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
1 medium green pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
1 summer squash, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
4 asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
Other 1/2 of lime, juiced
1 jar TJ’s mango ginger chutney
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat Grill or broiler.
- Combine shrimp through olive oil and set aside to marinate while you cut up the vegetables.
- Thread tomatoes, onion, shrimp, pepper, squash and asparagus alternately onto each of 8 skewers. Pour remaining sauce of shrimp skewers and you are ready to go.
- If using the oven, Broil 4 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning once.
If grilling, grill for 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are opaque.
- Combine remaining lime juice, chutney, and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. You may want to blend the chutney sauce if it is too chunky. Sprinkle with additional red pepper flakes and green onion, if desired.
- Serve sauce with skewers.
Makes 4 servings, 2 skewers with 1/4 cup sauce (4 WWP each).
Here is what they looked like getting ready to go on the grill.
And, coming off the grill ~ grilled to perfection.
I had a few extra shrimp that I grilled all on one skewer.
And dipped them in the Spicy Mango Chutney.
I made up a quick, Tropical Brown Rice to go with it. It’s so simple.
Heat up one packet of Trader Joe’s Frozen Organic Brown Rice in the microwave for 3 minutes.
Add in 1/2 cup Tropical Salsa (you can buy or make your own). It’s simple to make your own ~ combine: Mango, papaya, red peppers, cilantro, lime juice, jalepeno and jicama for crunch
Mix in 1-2 sliced green onions and add sea salt/freshly ground pepper to taste.
Thanks, Janetha for letting me post for you on your night off :)
1. What is your favorite thing to grill? I think I LOVE everything grilled – It means less dishes to wash :)
2. What do you like to use as your dipping sauce? Mine is BBQ sauce
janetha here. THANKS DANICA! i can’t wait until marshall puts our grill together so i can get cookin’! my answers are #1: kebabs! they are so versatile. options are endless. and #2: hummus or BBQ sauce.. or ranch!
xo. janetha g. & danica p.