pregnancy number two.

by Janetha on May 13, 2016

in meals,moves,oh baby

hey! so, it only took me half of my second pregnancy to get around to blogging about it. ha. yep! halfway there! i am 20 weeks along, hallelujah. 223edbd5-fdf9-4a8b-88c2-99b599a7c87b
i had my anatomy scan on monday, and everything is great with the baby. healthy brain and heart, growing on track, and we found out it’s a girl! so we will have one of each, which makes for a fun adventure in parenting. i am excited to see how having a girl is different from a boy, and i would be lying if i said i wasn’t excited for the necessity to buy new things. haha. if it had been a boy, we have all the clothes in the world.. but now i am *forced* to get some girl stuff. darn it.

this pregnancy has been way different from my last. a lot of people told me it was because i was having a girl, and i guess *technically* they were right, but i know many people that have vastly different pregnancies, but end up with the same sex. so, who knows.

as some may recall, it took me a real long time to conceive my first time around. i had lots of tests done, tried for some time, and eventually took clomid in order to conceive, which worked like a charm. (luckily, because one round of that nonsense is all i could take—it made me crazy!)

anyway, fast forward, and this time around i figured it would probably take some time to conceive again. i was also having some unexplained abdominal pain, and my doctor thought it was possibly the way my IUD was laying in my uterus. even though i’d had my IUD for nearly a year, she said things can change over time. after an ultrasound of my IUD, showing that it looked normal, they suggested i just take it out all together. this was in december, and since i was hoping to get pregnant in 2016, i decided that was a good idea.

less than a month later… i was pregnant! ha. it was shocking how quickly it happened. shocking in a good way, of course, but very unexpected! i actually took a pregnancy test just one week before my company trip to mexico, and when i saw it was positive, i was so surprised.

and then, just days before my mexico trip, the CDC released the travel warning about the zika cirus, urging pregnant women not to travel to certain areas, including mexico. yikes! i wasn’t sure how serious it was, but i didn’t take the warning lightly, so i researched it some more. my doctor told me if i was her daughter, she would advise me not to go (but that she couldn’t straight up tell me not to go, ha) and that mexico would always be there. i also visited the travel health department at my local county building and spoke with a professional. she told me that it is very rare for the CDC to tell people to cancel their trip all together, rather than just take precautions, and after a good chat.. i decided it just wasn’t worth going. not only the risk, but the paranoia that would swallow me whole during my pregnancy had i been bitten by a mosquito while on the trip. there were actually two of us who were pregnant and planning to go on the trip, and both of us opted out.

so, i didn’t go. which also meant i had to announce my pregnancy to my bosses and everyone at work just a week after finding out myself, haha. not something i would typically have done, but that was the circumstance and it turned out just fine. and they actually issued me a travel voucher because of the circumstance and we are using it to take a trip to portland this summer! one of the few places we can go for a few days that is safe from the virus and is not deathly humid in july. (travel tips welcome!)

it’s probably good i didn’t end up going on the trip, because i started getting nauseated about ten days after finding out… and it only got worse from there. i was mildly nauseated the first time around, but this was way different. i was throwing up daily, sick from morning to night, it was practically debilitating. and that lasted for two months! i was miserable and also probably super miserable to be around, haha. sorry, friends and family.

is this a food and fitness blog? or maybe it once was? how about i tell you about the meals & moves part of my pregnancy, then.

even though i was really sick, i did manage to eat something every morning. i started out eating an egg, cream cheese, and bagel sandwich from einstein’s every day… but then i remembered that i love the starbucks bacon & gouda breakfast sandwich, and they have a drive through, score! ha. so i have legit had one of those at least 4 out of 5 work day mornings for the past three months. they never get old.
FullSizeRender

during my first trimester, anything sweet sounded awful, as did coffee. i swapped my coffee for english breakfast tea for quite awhile. but starbuck’s tea is so expensive (like $2.50 for a tea bag and hot water) so i would buy my own tea bags, and get a free cup of hot water with my breakfast sandwich.

FullSizeRender_1

i couldn’t do raw veggies, either. i think i survived off of toast, cheese, crackers, salami, and marshall’s homemade bolognese over angel hair pasta. it’s the best. my last pregnancy, all i wanted was mexican food, and now it’s all italian all the time. give me all the pizza, pasta, and garlic bread.

now that i can do sweeter stuff again, i have been craving lots of fruit! i also had my first acai bowl in cali last month, and now i am after finding the perfect one in salt lake city. so far, i haven’t found one as good as the one i had in cali.. but i will keep trying!

IMG_4432momma b has also been very accommodating, haha, making anything i was craving at the moment! she’s the best. (mashed potatoes in the works in this pic.)

i wasn’t really working out prior to getting pregnant, fitness has seriously fallen by the wayside in my life… whoops. but i did manage to exercise 2, maybe 3 times a week. and now? zero, zip, zilch. ha. exercise was totally out of the question during my first trimester, being so sick. but now that i am feeling a little better and the weather is nicer, i do try to take walks with the little guy when i can. we love our new neighborhood and it’s perfect for before-dinner or weekend morning strolls.

i lost a lot of muscle over the past couple years, what with not really lifting weights anymore, having my first pregnancy, having a baby, having no time.. and so this pregnancy, i actually started out at a lower weight than my first time around. i attribute this all to muscle loss, though, and not fat loss. haha. i was still weird and squishy from pregnancy #1. i gained about 35 pounds with my first one, so it will be interesting to see if this pregnancy is similar or if my body decides to gain more. i am pretty sure i’m on track to gain more, but we will see at my doc appointment next week. my sister had three pregnancies, and started out at a different weight for each one, gaining different amounts each time, but delivered all three babies weighing the same exact number. isn’t that crazy?! the body is pretty cool, how it knows what it needs to gain to have a healthy pregnancy.

i expected to start showing sooner, since everyone told me that’s how the second pregnancy goes, but i would say i am showing about the same or a little bit less in comparison to my last pregnancy. and i am definitely carrying a lot lower (something people say means you are having a boy, guess that’s not true for me, haha.) pregnancy 1 on the left, 2 on the right.. both 16 weeks along.

i haven’t kept track of anything this time around, i actually forget how far along i am when people ask. i am taking way less progress photos (i think that one up there is the third or fourth i have taken, period, where as before i took one each week and made a production of it, ha.) and i am much busier with a little toddler to keep me occupied when i am not working, so the pregnancy details tend to slip my mind.

but now that we know it is a girl, we can start trying to think of a name (we really have zilch for ideas right now) and getting her room ready. since fox is still in his crib and likely will be for at least another year, we will have to become a two crib family. plus, his pediatrician pointed out that fox probably would throw a fit if we took his bed away from him and gave it to the baby, ha!

i know he will be a great big brother, though. he already gives my belly kisses all the time, and says, “hi, baby!” it’s SO cute!

he loves being around the babies that he has been around (my BFF has a 6 month old and he loves her), so i am hoping that is an indication of him handling a new baby fairly well… but it’s a whole other story when that baby lives with you, haha. he will be a little over two once the new one is born, so hopefully he understands things a little better and takes it well. in the meantime, i will soak up the moments of him being our only child. he is just so dang sweet. IMG_4433 IMG_4435so that’s my pregnancy #2 story in a slightly big nutshell. i am happy to be halfway through, and also so grateful to not be super sick anymore. now days i just am exhausted and have horrible heartburn, which are two things i would take over nausea any day!

that explains why this blog has been so, so silent this year so far. i know i had slowed down on posting quite a bit after baby #1, but it has legit been at a standstill since i was so sick in that first trimester. but i am feeling like myself again and wanting to post more frequently.. so here’s hoping i can achieve that! i mean, my 7th(!!) blogging anniversary came and went, and i didn’t even muster up the energy to post about it! the old me would never let that fly, haha. but here’s to making a comeback, right? we shall see.

thanks to all of you who still read this little corner of mine, you guys are the best.

have a WONDERFUL weekend! hooray for that!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine May 13, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Blog is last priority, family and health first!
Ah! A girl! That’s awesome! I have a big brother (by 2 years) and I wouldn’t want it any other way! Fox will be a fantastic big brother ;)

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Oh, how fun! That’s how far apart they will be in age, too! Glad to hear you love it :)

Korrin May 13, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Congratulations!!!! I am a reader but haven’t commented much (at all?) but I couldn’t resist this time around. We had our daughter in 2012 and just recently had a son. It is so much fun to have one of each! I was sort of bummed we wouldn’t see any of my daughters cute clothes on another baby, but seriously it is just an excuse to buy more clothes! I was super sick with both pregnancies and so I completely empathize with you and it really is debilitating! Cut yourself some slack – you’re growing a baby! Who knows if you will be able to post more in the future, but if you do, there will be those of us that continue to read and check in for updates. Take care! :)

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Oh thank you for commenting :) I know, I am a little sad about not using all his clothes that I have stored away, haha. But I think some of it will be able to swing both ways, so maybe I can use some of it! xoxo

Carolynne Tovenar May 13, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Wow, halfway already, that’s awesome! When did you feel the baby move for the first time this pregnancy? I’m curious. I’m almost 12 weeks right now and so desperate to feel the little one!

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:05 pm

So with my first pregnancy, I didn’t feel movement until 20-21 weeks. With this one, I felt it maybe around 17, but I think it is due to the fact that I knew previously what it felt like, and knew what to feel for. Congrats to you! I hope you are feeling well!

Katie May 13, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Wow! Time is flying!! So happy for you guys! xxoo

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Hahaha not on my end! OMG I feel like I have been preg for 20 years lol. XOXO LOVE YOU!

Alyssa May 13, 2016 at 7:51 pm

CONGRATS!! And I’m so sorry you have been so sick. My second is a week old. We didn’t find out the sex, and everyone SWORE it was a girl Bc I was carrying differently, had different symptoms, etc. nope, another beautiful boy – everyone was shocked! Buying girl clothes will be so much fun and you will love seeing your little man with a sibling!

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I am excited and a little nervous to see how he does with a sibling, haha. How close are your two? These guys will be 2 years and a month, hopefully it works out well!

Alyssa May 16, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Oh I was terrified my whole pregnancy, and I still am. I had so much guilt that I was ruining my kid’s life, that he would be totally abandoned when we went to the hospital, etc. My little guys are 19 months apart. The original plan was to wait 3-4 years in between…but then we really liked having a kid, and wanted another one. Right away lol. It’s super scary but seeing my son kiss his little brother is absolutely the best! It will definitely work out. I keep telling myself…my mom did it, and we all survived, right?

Bonnie May 13, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I LOVE hearing all this! You look amazing and it’s just good to see you – body and face and cute toddler and baby-in-body… 😘 So happy for you and Marshall and just feel in the mood for you reading this. Love you, friend!

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Good to hear from you! Love you!

Elaine C May 13, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Congratulations on baby girl! How exciting for one of each. I just had my little gal in January and I was also carrying super low. We had a “team green” baby, but most everyone guessed a boy, ha! Did you have a feeling either way with either pregnancy before you found out?

Also, I grew up in Portland and still live in the area!!! Let me know if you’re looking for recommendations for anything! I’m more than happy to help :-)

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Nope, I had NO clue what the sex would be!

Oh, I would love it if you gave me any “MUST DOS”! We will be staying in Portland, but will have a car to drive to the coast, and we will be there for four days. Would love any tips! Thanks!

Elaine C June 2, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Must Dos in Portland!
– You’re already going to the coast so check that off your list!
– Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful waterfall and lots of little falls along the way. Lovely spot for a family pic :)
– On the way to Multnomah Falls, stop by Vista House/Crown Point. Gorgeous viewpoint.
– I don’t know if you like donuts, but Voodoo Donuts is one of those “Keep Portland Weird” places. People even get married here! If you go, go to the original location — http://voodoodoughnut.com/voodoo-doughnut-locations.php
-While down there Powell’s Bookstore is also a Portland thing. HUGE bookstore.
– And by now you’re probably hungry so, Portland City Grill has great food and nice skyline view of the city!
– Everything I’ve mentioned is family friendly, but we also have the Oregon Zoo, OMSI – science museum that Fox might think is fun, Chilrdren’s Museum (near the zoo, I’ve never been, but my friends with kids love it), Washington Park, and so much more!

Please let me know if I can be of any further help or if you’re looking for something specific :) (I hope you can see my email address?)

Janetha June 7, 2016 at 11:09 am

You are awesome!!! Thank you for all these great suggestions, I can’t wait to tick them off my list. Fox will actually be sitting this one out (sigh, cry, first trip away from him for both of us together!)

Trisha May 14, 2016 at 2:03 am

Love this!! Congratulations again, a baby girl is so exciting!! I battled done serious acid reflux that prevented me from sleeping for approximately five months of my pregnancy so I wish for that your heartburn remains minimal. For me that was far worse than the nausea. Glad to hear you’re feeling better in general and excited to hear/see more about Baby Girl G!!

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Thank you! Ugh, reflux is the pits! Luckily Zantac is all I need to help with that, so it’s pretty mild in comparison to other ailments. But we will see if that changes once my organs start getting pushed up more haha.

Kim@fitsique May 15, 2016 at 9:41 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! This is such exciting news! I hope the best for you through the remainder of your pregnancy, and can’t wait to see pics of the beauty when she comes!

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Megan May 16, 2016 at 4:17 am

Congratulations! Yay how exciting that you get to go shopping for girls clothes :-) I have a boy and I’m so jealous of all the nice girls things there are compared to boys.

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what are you planning work wise? A similar arrangement to what you did with Fox?

Janetha May 16, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I actually LOVE shopping for Fox, haha, I love boy’s clothes! I am surprised at how much fun it is. We will stick with the same schedule now, I will get to take the baby to work until she is 6 months old (after 6 weeks of maternity leave) and then my husband stays home twice a week, a nanny comes twice a week, and my mom does one day a week. So we will just add one kiddo to the mix!

Lisa May 16, 2016 at 10:10 pm

My boy is 8 weeks! When I was pregnant all I ate was pasta & grilled cheese sandwiches the first trimester. I couldn’t eat meat, veggies or coffee without getting sick! Thankfully it was just the first tri!

Congrats! I’m excited for you and a girl! So cool

Janetha May 21, 2016 at 12:19 pm

THank you! I hope you are loving that little dude!!