rambling & reflecting.

by Janetha on August 18, 2015

in dogs,flashback,random rambles

hey! happy tuesday to you guys! i thought i would pop in and ramble for a minute, because i miss it, and it’s been far too long since i just spewed out whatever came to my fingertips.

guess what today is?!

that’s right, penelope jane’s seventh birthday!! i cannot believe she is already 7. time has flown with this little bean. a little reflecting on her as a little, tiny pup…

i feel a little bad for my pups, since fox arrived, they have not had the attention they used to. but at least we did make her a birthday PBJ shaped like a “7” to celebrate. and both dogs got some bacon tonight. and she gets to sleep between our heads every night, so it’s not like she is super deprived!

even though it’s tuesday, i feel like reflecting on the weekend is still valid. it was theeeee busiest weekend ever!

on saturday, we had a 4-family yard sale. momma b, my sister, my sister in law, and i all had a big, joint sale. it was a lot of work! but a lot of fun.. and so nice to clear a TON of crap out of our house.

fox was such a great helper the whole time. he loved playing with the hangers and charming the shoppers.

after the sale, the work didn’t stop there.. marshall and i busted our butts the rest of the weekend. we had to clean up our house and clear things out to get ready to SELL IT.

yep! that’s right.. we are moving! after a little over five years in our first home, it’s time to move to something bigger. we will still be in the same area. if you are a utah local, i would love it if you could help spread the word! here is the link to the listing: http://www.ksl.com/homes/listing/36153262

it’s exciting to be moving, but sad. we have made a lot of memories in this house!

after purchasing it (i announced the purchase in my 400th post! and this is my 1,743rd post! WOW!) we renovated the whole dang thing. my favorite part of the renovation was the kitchen!! looking back on those renovation posts was a trip. it seems like decades ago.

crazy, it looks so different.

while we were cleaning out the garage, i found a lot of stuff from my childhood. including this super sweet shirt!!!

growing up, i had a cat named blue. and, apparently, i loved him so much that i got a custom t-shirt made with a cat that looked similar to him and the name “Blue” underneath. you better believe i rocked that shirt to elementary school on the regular!

i also found a TONNNN of old books of CDs!

jackpot! the majority of them are burned… i was a CD burning fool in high school!

a lot of them are also mixed CDs, so i don’t even know what songs are on them. i have a bad memory when it comes to anything, so i am glad there is the handy app, shazam!

you just press a button and it listens to whatever is playing and tells you what song and artist it is. pretty sweet.

lots of fun down memory lane this past weekend.

anyway, we have been working really hard, and hopefully we can get the house sold fairly quickly. but that’s what has been consuming my life! let me know if you want to buy it! haha.

another exciting thing is it’s fox’s BIRTHDAY WEEK! ahhh! he turns one on friday. what?!

it is crazy, this past year has zipped by. hard to believe that a year ago i was rocking a huge belly and blogging about maternity clothes!

IMG 8090

so surreal!

anyway, i have been working on getting things ready for his birthday (on friday) and his party (on saturday.) i am so not crafty, so we aren’t doing a cute theme or anything like that. i feel like pinterest puts a ton of pressure on making birthday parties extravagant.. but that’s not in the cards right now!

i plan to serve a tasty menu to the guests, have delicious cupcakes for fox and family and friends to enjoy, maybe some flashback photos of him, and a few simple decorations. i think that will be fun! i am excited to celebrate my little dude.

not a ton to report in the meals and moves department. things have been pretty basic over here! i am loving tomato season, and have been eating lots of sandwiches, loaded with tomatoes. i had two today! one for lunch, one for dinner.

the first one had turkey, sharp white cheddar, mayo, pepper, and tomatoes, all piled on sprouted wheat bread.

the second was a BLT.

i could eat sandwiches every day!

as far as moves go, my workout has simply been lifting and moving things for the yard sale and cleaning out the house and garage! but i do want to focus on something SOON.

i was perusing the internet and found this plan from jamie eason. it looks like it was made for new moms, and everything can be done at home and/or with your baby in tow. as soon as the dust settles a bit, i think i will give it a shot! i did do the first workout recently, and it was great.

one of these days i will get back to regular exercise… right? someone convince me that i will.

whelp, that’s about all i’ve got! thanks for reading my rambles. hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

1. how long have you lived in your current home?

2. how much has your life changed since a year ago today?

Lee August 19, 2015 at 5:08 am

I had so many of those Case Logic CD holders. Now i want to go find my mix cds and listen to them.

Your kitchen renovation looks great. I’m sure that will be a big selling point.

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

It’s funny how an old song can take you back just like that!

julie August 19, 2015 at 5:45 am

WAAAAHHHHHH! i wish i could but your house! homes we’re looking at in boston are double than what you’re asking and they’re all older and smaller too! and would need to be gutted. and are 100% made with asbestos (bit of an exaggeration, more like 50%). :(
lol i would’ve been too distracted by old mementos to participate in the garage sale, i love looking through my old stuff. i have a ton of burned cds too…remember when you could pirate songs off the internet for free?! those were the days!

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

I am lucky in that Utah is super affordable to be a homeowner. I wish you luck in finding one!! I know.. I love looking at old stuff. I could do it for days.

Heidi August 19, 2015 at 8:48 am

your house looks great. i was wondering how are your concrete counter tops holding up? what kind of maintenance do they need?

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 10:23 am

I looooove them! I am so happy we went with them, especially since they were, like, a tenth of the cost of granite. They require no maintenance. Actually, the house we are buying has them!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 19, 2015 at 8:54 am

Stacey August 19, 2015 at 11:49 am

I know what you mean about feeling guilty with the dogs. Lena will be 7-months in a week and we try to do the same amount of outings, hikes with our 2 dogs, but it’s so hard! Especially with work. However I seem to remember reading Penny helped herself to your dinner a few nights ago so her life seems pretty grand ;)
We’ve lived in our first house for about 7-years and will probably stay for a few more as it’s almost paid off.
One year ago I was 16-weeks pregnant with baby #1! Crazy sauce. I was super sick and sooo tired most of my pregnancy so I’m much happier now… plus Lena’s here, perfect and so smiley! Isn’t it amazing how much more they bring to your life?!

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 1:29 pm

It is so crazy how much can change in a year! I love the name Lena. Haha–yeah–my mom was like, “penny is getting a birthday treat, even after the dinner incident?!” sigh.. I am a sucker.

Kacy August 19, 2015 at 11:59 am

Happy Birthday to Penny! I can’t believe she’s seven already. And Fox one! Time does fly. I always love reading your rambles and flashing back to the old days :)

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm

<3 <3 <3

Jessiker August 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm

1. Almost a year!
2. Haha well my life has changed a lot in a year. I have a new house, I’m pregnant again, have a toddler, you know all these things lol.

I am dying over that Blue shirt!! How cute are you? Very.
Yay Fox! It’s your week! Can’t wait to celebrate you, little buddy.
Happy birthday pinhead and bighead!

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 1:24 pm

lol i’m so gonna wear that shirt one of these days. love you.

Becky @ The Bex Factor August 19, 2015 at 12:49 pm

I’ve lived in my current home for 4 years now. I definitely want to move into something bigger but it’s not financially viable right now. Sadface.

I can’t believe it’s Fox’s birthday this week!! Like, weren’t you just posting about never ever wanting to have kids?! I’m with you on the Pinterest parties. I did nothing special for Liam’s 1st birthday because really, it’s for the parents anyways. I did do a theme last year but it was no where near what you’d find on Pinterest. Just a few decorations and personal touches. I have no idea what we will do this year and I should figure it out because that third birthday is approaching quickly!

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Cannot believe he is almost 3!

Becky @ The Bex Factor August 19, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Also, I just checked out the listing because I’m a creep. HOLY LOW HOUSING COSTS! Damn, I wish! A house like yours up here would cost like over $300,000!! For the price of yours you’d be lucky to find a two bedroom apartment condo. Crazy.

Janetha August 19, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I know, Utah is definitely affordable when it comes to being a home owner!

Alyssa August 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Congrats! We just moved into our house in April. And SOMEONE insisted on moving two giant crates of VHS tapes in here…I can’t even. Fox is looking like such a big boy with his long hair! A year ago I was starting a new school year super pregnant, freaking out about labor, delivery, and taking care of a newborn…and yet it’s hard to believe I didn’t even know my little love yet. EW that just got sappy. Sorry. No pinteresty shit here either for the first birthday. I sent out a Facebook invite that was like don’t expect anything other than grilling some burgers and a cute baby smashing cake.

Corrie Anne August 19, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Ahh!! I love old mix cds. My dream is to get a car with a cassette deck. Lofty life goals!! Good luck with the move! I can’t believe how much my life has changed in a year (similar reasons <3), but it's amazing!

Jen@jpabstfitness August 20, 2015 at 4:46 am

A year ago I had 3 older kids and a 4 month old, my biggest success of the day was a shower. Now that 4 month old is 16 months old and things are getting a bit easier. It’s crazy how much things change in just a year!
We bought our house a year ago and I feel like it’s been one renovation and fix ever since.
Best of luck selling the house, I started reading your blog when you were posting about renovating the kitchen! How has it been so long?!

betty August 20, 2015 at 8:27 am

SAVES THE DAY! you def have great taste in music, but we’ve already established that!!

and yay for moving!!we’ve been in our house 3 years, which sounds crazy cause we just moved in, like yesterday. we plan on selling in about 4-5 years when the kids start school, since we don’t love the ‘country vibe’ we get out here.

and my life this past year has been a whirlwind! we got married. and now have a baby on the way. CRAZYYYYY to think all that has happened!

Krystal August 20, 2015 at 12:14 pm

probably an odd comment, but i really love the playing card framed pieces in your dining area :) also your baby is adorable.

Cookie August 21, 2015 at 3:18 am

Ahhh. So much cuteness!

I’ve been living in this flat for two years now, and I still haven’t managed to put everything away. Argh. It’s basically same old, same old over here.