ftm series: dealing with RSV.

by Janetha on March 2, 2015

in fox,tips

the first time your baby gets sick is devastating. it’s a whole new kind of sad that i never even knew i could feel. you can’t explain to them what’s going on, you can’t make them feel better, and you are just heartbroken more and more with every sad little cough, sneeze, sniffle, or moan.

it’s the pits.

fox was coughing last monday, so we headed in to the doctor. fox doesn’t mind the doctor, luckily.. he loves playing with that paper that’s on the bed. i need to get myself a roll of it for home!

they said his sickness wasn’t too bad, and they just told us to watch him. by thursday, his cough was ten times worse, his breathing was so wheezy you could hear it across the room, he was a sneezing, boogery mess.. it was SAD. so i took him in again on thursday and he was diagnosed with a mild case of RSV.

RSV stands for respiratory syncytial virus. it is a virus that infects the respiratory tract. it typically lasts a couple of weeks. it can be pretty scary and develop into pneumonia or bronchiolitis, and babies are often hospitalized when RSV is super serious. luckily that wasn’t the case with us, but it’s still very sad and scary.

we have been trying hard to make fox as comfortable as possible so he can recover from this virus. since it’s viral, there’s nothing to give him to help him get better quicker.. but there are quite a few things that can be done to help him out. i thought i would share what we have been doing for him as part as my first time mom series, because it’s definitely good to know how you can help your sick baby out!

you can’t give a six month old a sleeve of saltines and a can of sprite, but you can do some things to help the situation.

saline nose drops

saline nose drops.

these drops help loosen all the junk that is up in your baby’s nose. you want to use them before sucking anything out. at first i was using them after (duh, i am clueless) because i didn’t want to suck the drops out.. but my doctor was like no, janetha, they are to loosen everything up so it can come out easier. noted!

nose frida

nose frida aspirator.

we love this contraption! it is way more user-friendly than the bulb sucker. plus, you can see exactly what’s coming out.. and it’s way easier to clean. oh, and don’t worry, there is a filter and you won’t be sucking snot into your mouth. i was a little weirded out by it at first, but now i swear by it!

boogie wipes

boogie wipes.

these gentle little wipes are perfect for getting those dried up boogie-covered noses cleaned up. it’s funny, because marshall got me this container of boogie wipes in my easter basket last year when i was pregnant! and now they are coming in handy.

steam showers for rsv

steam showers.

we have sat with fox in the steam shower at my parents’ place several times over the past week. they help him breathe better and loosen up all the gunk. i wish we had a steamer at our house! but when we can’t get to my parents’, we just get our bathroom super steamy with the shower and stand in there with him. you want to make sure to suck out all the gunk right after the shower, when it’s nice and loose.

he LOVES the steam shower!

this thing has been going in fox’s room 24/7. utah is super dry as it is, so we already ran the humidifier often.. but now it is doing double duty. here’s a tip from marshall—use distilled water in the humidifier to avoid weird film and buildup.

baby vicks for rsv

baby vicks.

we have rubbed vicks on fox’s feet at night and then put socks on him before putting him to bed. we have also rubbed it on his chest. not sure if it is helping or not, but i like to think it is doing a little good!

essential oils for RSV

essential oils.

i recently signed up for doTERRA and ordered the family physician’s oil set last week and it came on saturday, just in time to use some of the oils for this sickness. i have been diffusing on guard and breathe in fox’s room.

IMG 7560

IMG 7557

i also made a roller bottle with each of those oils and have been putting it on his feet.

IMG 7546

it’s also nice to put a couple drops of breathe on the shower floor before getting it all steamy.

lots of rest.

i know it’s next to impossible to make your baby nap if he doesn’t want to.. but i have just tried to get fox to nap more than he typically would. lots of dim lights, rocking him, singing to him.. just trying to get him to rest so his body can heal!

these things have helped fox get more comfortable and deal with his sickness a little better. unfortunately, i managed to get sick on saturday, so our whole house is in pretty rough shape.

hopefully we will be feeling better soon!

1. do you have any home remedies you swear by when fighting a virus?

2. what’s your favorite “sick food”?

Amanda March 2, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I’m convinced that I need the NoseFrida now. Thanks for the link. Hope Fox feels better ASAP! it’s the pits when the littles are sick. We love Boogie Wipes over here. Also love the humidifier. I’m intrigued by the oils, you’ll have to let us know how you like them after using them for awhile.

Momma b March 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Hot baths are my favorite home remedy!

Pace’s coke to the rescue!!!

I love you and our little Fox, you are a great momma and Marshall is a sweet daddy! Love your sweet family.

Angie March 2, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Our son was 4 months old when he had RSV. It was so scary. 104 temperature, chests rays, and breathing treatments. Luckily he want hospitalized but it was so scary. Hope you guys all get better soon.

Annette@FitnessPerks March 2, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Awwww poor Fox!! I hope he gets better soon!!

Those are all awesome remedies to help, especially the doTERRA one ;) I swear by doTERRA & believe it has helped our family in so many ways!

Janetha March 2, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I think I got my first doTERRA stuff from you way back when! xoxo

Jenn - Girl Heroes March 2, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Oh no. I’m so sorry. Yes it’s horrible to see your little one sick. You may be interested in the list below. Essential oils are great but there are quite a few oils that shouldn’t be used on babies and children. We use YL and I was disappointed to find out Theives shouldn’t be used. I don’t know about Doterra On Guard but Breathe has peppermint oil which could actually cause respiratory problems. Here is the list. We always play it safe and don’t use the questionable oils. (There are many more that are safe!) I also don’t use them personally since I’m still nursing. http://www.learningabouteos.com/index.php/2014/02/07/essential-oils-and-children/

Janetha March 4, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Oh I had no idea! The consultant I spoke with said that when diluted to the right ratio they are OK for babies.. thank you for the link and looking out! xo

jodie March 2, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Essential Oils! Swear by them :)

Christy March 3, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Sad — I hope he feels better soon! My little one hasn’t been sick yet but it’ll happen someday I’m sure.

Carolynne March 3, 2015 at 10:25 pm

We went through this same thing last week with our 3.5 month old. It was horrible. I felt so helpless. Poor baby!! We did some of the things you did to make her feel better. Heard the Vicks was bad so never did that. Didn’t know there was such a thing as baby Vicks though. We also elevated the mattress so she slept with her head a little higher. Of course most of the time she just wanted to sleep on me on her tummy. she still has a cough and a little stuffy but it’s getting better for sure. Keep up the strength and you can get through this. Feel better baby Fox!!

Marie-Sophie March 5, 2015 at 12:14 am

My daughter Anni had her first severe cold when she was 3 months old and it was ROUGH! Thankfully I was always able to clear her nose enough for her to breastfeed and sleep at night but the rest was just rough on all of us. And your heart really breaks every time this little body coughs (plus I think she had a really sore throat and every time she coughed she started to cry which made the coughing worse … ). I have 2 creams that I put on her chest: one is a balm with myrtle and thyme (it is called “Myrtle balm” here in Germany) and the other one is a balm with angelica (called “angelica balm”) that you put on the nostrils and the area of the paranasal sinus to help. Both balms are natural solutions and Anni loved getting her chest rubbed with the balm and she smiled every time I put the other balm on her nose! Just ask your pharmacist (some pharmacies make it themselves, hopefully in the US as well). A good recovery for fox!! <3

Purelytwins March 6, 2015 at 9:59 pm

so sorry to hear this – Gary’s nephew just got released from hospital from having this – though he only has one lung (another long and sad story) but he is doing well!! And yay for doTerra oils – we love ours!! I put OnGuard on Madisons feet everyday and diffuse it too. And love breathe! xoxo