simple breakfast sandwich.

by Janetha on February 27, 2015

in product review,recipes

i freaking love sandwiches. a lot of times i find myself having the conversation with others where we talk about if we could only eat one thing for the rest of our life.. what would it be? my answer: sandwiches. maybe it’s a cop out answer, but i think it’s a good one. they are so versatile! they are good for any meal of the day. i probably eat at least five sandwiches a week.. sometimes even ten.

my favorite dinner sandwich is something warm–like a pulled pork sandwich with swiss and coleslaw, or a mediterranean panini with chicken, feta, and hummus. my favorite lunch sandwich is always, always turkey & avocado. i will never tire of that combo. and for breakfast, my favorite sandwich is a simple ham, egg, and cheese sandwich.

i feel kind of silly sharing a recipe for a sandwich, because it’s just so easy.. but i guess that’s the beauty of it. sandwiches are easy. they are quick, tasty, and a great option.

IMG 7514

simple breakfast sandwich
serves one

ingredients

• one large egg
  • three slices of deli ham
  • a sprinkle of shredded cheese
  • two pieces of bread, toasted (or an english muffin.. or a bagel.. any bready vehicle will do)

directions

1. fry the egg in a little butter. i like mine with the yolk broken but still slightly soft in the center. you could also scramble it.
  2. remove the egg from the pan, then put the ham in the pan to warm it up.
  3. flip the ham over, then sprinkle the cheese on top and melt it.
  4. assemble the egg and ham with melted cheese on the toasted bread.
tada!
IMG 7505

are you wondering where my crusts went on the bread? no, i didn’t cut them off because i’m carb conscious (hello, i love bread!).. i cut them off because these two were giving me the big eyes.

IMG 7497

i am a sucker. they didn’t get any of my ham, but they got my crusts.

for this sandwich, i used hillshire farms naturals lunchmeat.

IMG 7495

since i am such a sandwich connoisseur, i feel like i have a good background to rate this lunchmeat. i’m constantly finding ham too salty (i am one of those people who rarely salts food) and so i often buy low sodium versions. i also like a little sweetness to my ham, so i will buy honey smoked ham when buying it at the deli. i am happy to report that the hillshire farm honey roasted ham was just the right amount of salty and sweet. also, and this probably only matters to weirdos like me, it is sliced to the perfect thickness.

i like that this lunchmeat is 100% natural with no artificial ingredients or preservatives. additionally, no nitrates or nitrites have been added. one thing i appreciate about this lunchmeat is the packaging. it comes in an airtight container and then is also wrapped up inside the container. shouldn’t all lunchmeat come like that? it makes storing it so much easier–i usually end up storing lunchmeat in my own tupperware. no need with this stuff. oh, and if you don’t like their lunchmeat, you can get a 100% refund.. no questions asked. so you may as well try it!

IMG 7510

this sandwich is great for on-the-go.. but today i ate it at home. poor fox has RSV and we are hibernating until he gets feeling better. luckily it is a mild case and no hospitalization is required. but please keep him in your thoughts as he tries to recover!

i hope you all enjoy your weekend!

1. what is your favorite kind of sandwich?

2. what would you choose if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life?

#spon: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Hillshire. This could include Hillshire providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment.

betty February 27, 2015 at 11:27 am

eat and not get fat? pizza.. my perfect sandwich is toasted and cucumbers on it with a hearty, grainy bread.

hope fox feels better soon!

Angie February 27, 2015 at 11:44 am

I know you feel silly posting such a simple sandwich recipe, but i had a real aha moment when i saw that picture.

1. I always make my breakfast sandwiches on English muffins. Never even thought about just using bread.
2. I always scramble the egg and make it into a patty.
3. I love fried eggs and toast, and how did it never occur to me to make that into a sandwich??
4. I’m picky about my ham, so that’s good to know.

Erica February 27, 2015 at 12:13 pm

YUM! Very generous to give the crusts….thats the best part IMO :) I love a caprese sandwich on a crusty bread (again…love that crust)

Katie February 27, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Gah! I love sandwiches! My favorite… turkey, cranberry sauce, sprouts, avocado & spinach! Usually only happens during thanksgiving! My go-to is Chicken, avocado, cucumber & greens!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 27, 2015 at 2:03 pm

I’m a big sandwich fan over here too – hot, cold, breakfast, dinner, you name it, I love it! Turkey + avocado has to be one of my favorite sandwich combos too.

Poor Fox! Hope he feels better soon! Enjoy the snuggles.

Mollie February 27, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Mmm egg sandwiches are my favorite. I usually like them over-easy and with a sharp cheddar. That or a fat turkey sandwich with fresh tomatoes from the garden.

April February 27, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear lil’ man is sick. Hope he gets better soon!

I am all over the place with sandwiches. I love a classic PB&J on white bread and a simple turkey and cheddar cheese but also love the big, sloppy sandwiches. There is a place nearby that has a chicken artichoke sandwich that is AMAZING. Tons of flavor, some feta cheese and roasted peppers, and the bread is perfectly crusty on the outside, soft on the inside.

Kim Hoeltje February 28, 2015 at 3:01 pm

PB&J!! No question about it!

Corrie Anne February 28, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Feel better, Fox!!! Awwwa!!!!!!!!!!!! Kevin has made me a breakfast sandwich every day since Edmund was born! Haha. So delicious. I’ve never thought of putting ham slices on it, but more meat is always good. We usually do bacon and/or sausage with eggs and maybe cheese. And Kerrygold butter which is the best!!!!

Cheri Z February 28, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Hope Fox is on the mend. Poor guy! My favorite sandwich would be turkey avocado or a BLTA. If there was only one food I could eat, I’s choose soup. Love it!

Christy March 1, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I get stupid excited that I can reuse the container… Sometimes I buy lunch meat packaged like that because I want the container. 1) pork BBQ 2) pizza

CARLA March 2, 2015 at 4:48 am

WE LOVE THAT annnnd we also make in MUFFIN TINS with no bread and the ham as a BASKET!!
(types the Jew :-))

ashley March 3, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Aww look at poor Randy’s face ! Like he is simply starving . What a cute guy and a yummy looking sandwich.