friday 5×5.

by Janetha on February 13, 2015

in lists

it’s friday!!! let me tell you, i freaking live for the weekends. i mean, i did before, but now that i have a baby that i take with me to my full time job, we really love the weekends. and it’s in the 60s here in utah, so i hope to get outside and play in the sunshine tomorrow.

since i love lists and mindless rambling and alliteration, how about a 5 lists of 5 post? i think yes.

five recipes i have tried/am going to try lately.

1. the best slow cooked pork loin. this was so good! we served it with steamed asparagus and baked potatoes. definitely a winner and i love that it has hardly any ingredients. i didn’t have any red wine (i am not a wine drinker) so i used red cooking wine. worked fabulously!

2. chicken tikka masala. i am making this tonight and am excited! i don’t really know how to make indian dishes so we will see how i do. i bought some trader joe’s naan to go with it as well as their brown basmati rice.

3. meatballs & rice. okay, so this isn’t a recipe, but it’s the easiest dinner EVER thanks to trader joe’s. three items: a bag of their frozen party size meatballs, a jar of the carolina gold BBQ sauce, and a package of their frozen brown rice. it reminded me a lot of my sweet & sour meatball recipe without all the work. so good!

4. copycat cafe rio pork. it tasted just like the real thing! we used it to make salads and momma b actually brought us cafe rio’s salad dressing to go with it. there are a lot of cafe rio copycat recipes out there, so i just picked one.. and it worked perfectly! i used trader joe’s red enchilada sauce.

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork

5. melt in your mouth pot roast. can you tell i’ve been loving my slow cooker?! ohhh my gosh, this was SO good! and we used the leftovers to make roast beef tacos the next day. yum.

five things i am looking forward to.

1. blend retreat! it’s getting closer and closer and we are signing more and more sponsors. this retreat is gonna be so, so fun!  we have sold out of twin beds, but there are still a few lodging options left.. snag your ticket soon before it sells out! we have to cap it this year due to limited space.

2. tacos tomorrow! every valentine’s day, marshall makes me tacos at home. it’s so much nicer than fighting the crowds and going out to dinner. plus, with fox this year, staying in is even better. i wonder what kind of tacos he will make this time?!

3. doing my taxes! is that weird? usually we have to pay a lot at tax time because marshall owns his own LLC and we owe. i file an extension every year to put it off. but this time around, we paid twice a month.. so if anything we will get some money back or break even. i have never been so excited to do my taxes, haha! i have an appointment to do them in a few weeks.

4. starting infant swimming with fox. i have seen so much good come from this and i think it will be awesome! has anyone else done it with their kiddos?

5. the weekend. i think i already mentioned that in my opening paragraph, but guys.. yay. weekend.

five of my favorite exercises, ever.

1. power cleans. it’s a fun movement and they just make my whole body sore. in a good way.

2. burpees. yes, i said it. you can do them anywhere and they are so beneficial. it’s a love-hate relationship. i love this burpee workout as well.

3. single legged stiff leg deadlifts. i dunno why, but i love making my hamstrings sore.

4. single arm bent row. i like it so much i put it in my kettlebell workout.

5. jump roping. it’s way harder now that i have, um, had a baby. let’s just say your bladder muscles don’t stay the same, haha. and milk-filled boobs don’t help the situation, either. but i still love it!

five things on my wish list.

1. sleep! please, can i get some sleep soon? i think we will be hiring a sleep coach to help fox with his issues…

2. a massage. it’s been a minute since i had one, and so i will probably treat myself to one soon. i will for sure be doing the exercises above beforehand because i am a weirdo that thinks massages are better when i am sore. anyone else?

3. this backpack. i just can’t decide what color…there are SO many!

4. a vacation! we haven’t had a real legit vacation since july 2013 when we went to boston and maine. hoping we can get somewhere fun this summer!

5. getting my car detailed. oh, man. it’s a shit show and it needs some TLC.

five photos of fox because he’s the cutest dude.

have a fantastic weekend!

1. what’s one of your favorite exercises, ever?

2. what are you looking forward to?

Erica February 13, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Totally making that cafe rio pork! I’m totally needing sleep too (not as bad as you though I’m sure :)), feeling under the weather! Enjoy your tacos!

Becky @ TheBexFactor February 13, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Fox sure is a cutie.

Favourite exercise is hands down barbell deadlifts. The heavier the better!

Kacy February 13, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I want to make all of those meals, especially the pork! I love making Indian food at home. I stocked up awhile back on authentic spices at an Indian market and just love the way my kitchen smells when I use them.

Fox is adorable. Hope you get some sleep soon! <3

Jenn - Girl Heroes February 13, 2015 at 9:39 pm

I can’t wait to try that tikka masala. It’s one of my favorites. My favorite exercise is a pull up BUT it’s been a long time since I was able to do one unassisted. Oh well. Fox is adorable! Xo

Momma b February 13, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Love my five photos of Fox fix today!!!

lindsay February 14, 2015 at 7:01 am

I adore burpees and blend and masala and pictures of fox. So this is a winning post! ;-)
Love you, go sleep! if you can. and if you want balls, email me. I leave for NZ next week but i can ship before.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 14, 2015 at 8:39 am

I love power cleans, I love push press, I love deadlifts, I love kettle bell swings, I love jumping rope, I LOVE ALL THE THINGS!!! :)

Katie D. February 14, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Burpees are hard on my post baby bladder! The plus of barely working out anymore is that any and all workouts leave me sore :)

I have a couples massaged scheduled for my birthday and I can’t wait (less than 2 weeks!)

Nicole S. February 14, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Have you ever read The Sleep Easy Solution? It saved my life when my son was 5 months old and getting up every 45 min all night long. I also found a ton of useful information on the Teach you baby to sleep board at babycenter forum.

Best of luck!

Corrie Anne February 15, 2015 at 12:34 am

I love burpees!!! I miss them so much. I also really like double unders and pistols because they are tricky/fun skills. I got Kevin a fjallraven backpack for his dad bag since my diaper bag is hot pink. Haha. The mini ones are so cute too!! I’m looking forward to having my baby!! Well, holding him!! Maybe not so much the labor & delivery. :)

Christy February 15, 2015 at 1:39 am

We did our taxes today and since we had a kid last year, we get money back for the first time I can remember!! SO HAPPY.

My favorite fitness workout is running. I’m one of those people. But I also love front squats and dead lifts even though since having a baby I kind of suck.

I love the cafe rio recipe. Yum.

Franziska February 15, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Fox is adorable!! Have you heard of the Tranquil Turtle? Our daughter never had much trouble falling asleep but since we use the turtle it’s even easier for her to fall asleep and I have only heard good things from other parents. The turtle plays ocean sounds and soothing music and projects ocean waves onto the ceiling and walls. I think it’s very soothing and relaxing. It’s quite expensive (around $50 here in Canada) but I think it’s worth it! Good luck!

elaine c. February 16, 2015 at 1:13 am

i totally want a jump rope now.

1) not an exercise, per se, but i love step aerobics. guilty pleasure?
2) looking forward to trying a few new recipes on my next days off!

love the last picture of your little man. totes.adorbs.

Kim Hoeltje February 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Fox is the cutest!!

Jen February 16, 2015 at 4:40 pm

So glad I’m not the only mom with, ahem, bladder issues. My friend has a four and six year old and said she just finally is able to jump rope without any…issues. So, hey, in four years you should be good!

Also, we hired a sleep trainer/specialist to help us with our baby’s sleep. She was about 5 months at the time and is 9 months now. She is a CHAMPION sleeper now. She is still sensitive to some stuff and really needs a routine, but once she goes down for the night, she’s down. It’s heaven, I tell ya.

Erin February 17, 2015 at 8:16 am

Thanks for sharing new recipes and what you thought of them! Trying the pork tenderloin one and the pot roast asap!