the struggle is real.

by Janetha on January 28, 2015

in humor

hello! how is it only wednesday? this week is dragging for me. probably because i am not only awake all day.. but typically all night these days, too. so the weeks seem double long. that seems like legit reasoning, right? haha.

so, the sleep deprivation and the whole mom brain thing (which, i can vouch, is a thing!) is definitely getting to me. here are some examples.. hopefully they make you laugh as much as they made me. because when the struggle is real, all you can do is laugh at yourself! (and drink coffee!!)

so, let’s start with this morning. i already knew i would be writing this post tonight, so i didn’t need any new material. but, of course, i am me and can’t make this crap up. i went to make my shake. poured 12 oz almond milk in my shaker bottle. reached up to grab the shake packet out of the cabinet and before i knew it…

crap. almond milk allllll over the floor. and the stove. and me. drenched in almond milk all day. awesome. (but, as my instagram friends pointed out, at least it wasn’t breast milk!)

okay, moving on to the rest of the examples i had in my back pocket for this post…

marshall sent me this text on friday night…

yeah. that’s the almond milk. in the bottom cupboard where we keep the shaker bottles. because why would i put it back in the fridge? that would be too easy and make the most sense. i filled up my shaker bottle with almond milk for my shake, and then clearly wasn’t with it when putting the milk away. whoops!

i was supposed to go to the store to get buns and cheese. for meatball subs. our favorite. we have tons of meatballs in the freezer. we don’t need meatballs. i had to write down on a post-it that i was getting buns and cheese, because i knew i would forget. yet i still sent this text to marshall to confirm what i was supposed to get.

yeah. i’m not losing it. i have already lost it. the struggle is real.

i still take the dogs to daycare twice a week. they don’t get a ton of exercise these days, partially because it’s winter and dark and cold when we get home.. but also because we are so busy with work and fox. those poor dogs! but getting them to daycare is nice and they have a chance to run around and have fun. except these days… i have the hardest time remembering that i actually took them to daycare in the morning…

oh, man, i’m sorry penny and randy. this time i didn’t get on the freeway before picking them up. yes, it’s happened once before. at least we still cuddle with them.

fox’s doctor told us to start giving him probiotics again. i had purchased them previously from amazon and so i knew i had a bottle at home. i went home and looked EVERYWHERE for them. they were gone. totally missing. we bought another bottle. and then marshall went to grab the new bottle the other night and laughed at me… because.. well.. the original bottle was sitting right there, in his dresser cabinet. sigh.

duh, janetha.

and it’s not just me that is struggling. marshall is, too. the other night he said the aquaphor had gone missing. he couldn’t find it anywhere. we were both in fox’s room talking about it and i was like, “that’s so weird! i wonder where it went!” the next morning i was changing fox’s diaper and glance over, only to see this…

yep. the aquaphor. sitting on his dresser in plain view. sigh.
image our poor brains.

although.. it could just be hereditary. got this text from momma b today…

image haha. oops.

other funny struggles that don’t have to do with me losing my mind?

• having to wear the same 4 outfits over and over because i need to have easy access to my boobs for nursing (and don’t especially want to buy more clothes that are conducive to nursing.) ((and i totally just typed “by” instead of “buy”…)) plus.. it lets me wear leggings as pants the majority of the time. which is nice, since my jeans are still too tight.
  • not knowing very many things that start with the letter X! fox is calm in the car as long as i am singing or talking to him. so one thing i do is play the alphabet game.. i have a theme for every time. cities (A is for albuquerque, B is for boulder), or names of our friends & family (C is for candice, D is for doug), or foods (E is for eggs, F is for fruit.) but then i get to X.. YOU GUYS, THERE IS NO FOOD THAT STARTS WITH AN X. nobody wants to eat a xylophone.
  • constantly having “five little speckled frogs” stuck in my head. i am actually humming it out loud right now as i type this and fox isn’t even awake.
  • never having clean hair again, even on days i wash it, because my cuddly little guy loves to drool on my locks any chance he gets. he also loves to tug on my hair. marshall’s, too (his is longer than mine!) i totally see why moms cut off their hair. but i don’t think i could ever do it.. i’ve always had long hair! i am good with the slobber tangles and yanks, it’s fine.

oh.. and i should mention that i thought about writing this post the other day as i was walking the aisles of target like a zombie, staring at the diapers and trying to figure out which one was the best deal (to my credit, i figured out a way to get pampers swaddlers for $0.17 a piece after using the instant gift card rebate and my red card, so at least i can still do math.. with my iphone calculator..) and, because i didn’t want to forget about the idea for this post, i emailed the idea to myself. thanks, technology.

i have the feeling that this is just the beginning. motherhood takes your brain cells. but at least you get the sweetest, most awesome reward in return!!

on a serious note, fox man is going to be seeing a gastroenterologist soon. we can’t get to the bottom of his sad, gassy wails. and the wailing makes him worse from swallowing all that air. cross your fingers that we can find a fix for him. i hate seeing him struggle. my struggles are funny. his, on the other hand, just suck.

1. what was your last “duh!” moment?

2. what song do you have stuck in your head?

Trisha January 28, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I learned … Before blending the hot curried cauliflower soup ensure the vitamix is in the OFF position before plugging it in with no lid. Oh YESSS … Yellow bits of cauliflower ALLLL over the kitchen. Fortunately the ceilings are high so it actually didn’t reach. I have a feeling I will be finding yellow spots for a while. ( I tried posting a picture of said incident to this comment but couldn’t. :( )

Trisha January 28, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I’m not even a new mom! Or a mom at all!

Carolynne January 28, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Oh my! The first thought I had when I saw the picture was that it was breast milk and I was crying on the inside for you. Then I actually read the post. SOOOO glad it was just almond milk. I mean it sucks about the mess, but it could have been MUCH worse!!!

Sorry that you’ve been so tired. I feel bad laughing at your expense. Funny texts though!

Erica January 28, 2015 at 7:49 pm

awwwwwwww! This totally made me giggle! I had these moments SO often when Kaylin was a peanut peanut! If I didn’t write down exactly what I need to bring with her to daycare, I’d forget it every darn day….

Lauren January 28, 2015 at 7:56 pm

YEP, totally been there and still there. Mommy brain is REAL but at least we can laugh about it later. Poor little Fox! Praying he gets some relief soon!

PS- 5 Little Speckled Frogs is our jam and ALWAYS in my head too. :)

Candice@Hungrymotherunner January 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I just laughed at this whole post cause I’ve done pretty much all of that too.. Oh the life..
Babies are hard. enough said. but damn they are cute.
Love your guts.

Katie H. January 28, 2015 at 9:16 pm

x is for xanthan gum?? Ha ha! Also, I’m so tired I can’t even remember my last duh moment, and the only thing running through my head is “15 minutes until bedtime…15 minutes til bedtime”

Meggi January 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Xigua fruit! :) The struggle is SO real! And so very struggley and so worth it!

Jessica @ Absurd, She Wrote January 28, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Since having my little nugget 3 months ago I am COVERED in bruises. Except I have no idea how they get there. I mentioned this to my husband and he said, “Well, yeah, because you keep walking into tables. And doors. And walls. You do this all the time.”

I do??

Very sleep deprived (but very happy)!

Angela @ HonestlyAngela February 2, 2015 at 8:55 pm

This happened to me too! My doctor said that it is a hormonal thing. You bruise a lot easier for a few months after having a baby. I had little bruises all over my legs – i thought something was wrong with me!

Melina January 28, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I am so glad I’m not the only one! I have to be reminded about everything. Everything. And then I still forget. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve missed the turn coming to my house, or a siblings house, or a store I go to all the time.

Not gonna lie, I haven’t introduced Miles to the children songs yet because quite frankly, I can’t stand them. So, he listens to my awesome music. His favorite is I Can’t Make You Love Me, which is currently in my head because I had to sing it at bath time tonight or he would cry. He cried anyway, just not as much. It is a struggle, but you’re right, so worth it!

Natalie January 29, 2015 at 2:51 am

Don’t worry, you’re not the only one! My sweet girl is 6 weeks old and while we’re not too sleep deprived, mommy brain is still so real. Thankfully I had a spare key to my car because I threw away my key with the grocery bags. This may seem odd, but I cannot seem to keep up with my keys as I get her and everything else out of the car. I just seem to throw them in some bag and unfortunately the trash man came before I realized which bag this time. Whoops!

Celia January 29, 2015 at 3:51 am

I still have these moments and my “baby” is 16. It happens. It’ll get easier. Don’t beat yourself up.

CARLA January 29, 2015 at 4:40 am

OMGOSH I ADORE YOU
and yer honesty.

xo

Linz @ Itz Linz January 29, 2015 at 6:25 am

this post CRACKED ME UP! i can so relate!!!! ridiculous things like this happen all the time to me! def mom brain!!! whenever i’m rushing and trying to do a million things at once, surely something goes wrong! argh!

Lee January 29, 2015 at 6:51 am

“I’ve got a remote and I’m ready to roll. Making things happen cause I’m in control.” is CONSTANTLY in my head. It’s from a baby remote. Which Alexander often ignores because it’s not the real remote. Duh, mommy.

Annie January 29, 2015 at 12:40 pm

OH EMMMM GEEE! We have this stupid horrible remote that my almost 18 month old recently rediscovered…that SONG haunts me!

Janetha January 29, 2015 at 12:45 pm

lmao

julie January 29, 2015 at 8:33 am

oh my gosh, sending happy and positive thoughts to little fox man!! hope you can get to the bottom of this :(

and LOL at your scatter brain…sorry :p

Tamara January 29, 2015 at 8:37 am

I’m not a mom, and I can’t even remember my last “duh” moment, I have so many! I think it was a work thing… maybe? ha

I have a little medley of songs from the TV show Nashville in my head, since I’ve been listening to the CDs in my car lately. Guilty pleasure show and I’m not normally a big country music fan, but they have a lot of really good songs on there!

Speaking of music, if you’re looking for any I would highly recommend First Aid Kit (if you haven’t already checked them out).

I hope the GI doc helps out your little cutie!! <3

Olga G. January 29, 2015 at 8:37 am

oh you poor thing! I remember those days all too well. My boy had tummy troubles at first too — I bought Udo’s Choice infant probiotic from whole foods and it was a LIFECHANGER. It’s so hard to be so tired. Hang in there, mama! My son didn’t start sleeping through the night until 8 months — the (sleep deprived) struggle is SO real!

Mollie @ Sprinkles of Life January 29, 2015 at 8:51 am

Awww, that last pic is so friggin cute!!

Corrie Anne January 29, 2015 at 8:59 am

Feel better, Fox!!!! I was just telling Kevin last night that I think I’m already losing it so it’s just gonna get worse with sleep deprivation to follow. But it’ll be worth it! I feel the same way about wearing 4 outfits. Boooo. Especially since I mostly just got “work” clothes and now I’m not working. So if I have to leave my house… the struggle is real!!! :) And I made the mistake of Googling nursing friendly clothing yesterday… not cute. My arms don’t tend to cooperate really well with button-ups so it’s going to be another fun challenge. Haha.

Destini January 29, 2015 at 9:08 am

Sounds like me this morning, I put my half full cup of coffee on my dresser while I got dressed. Go to grab my sweater that is on the other side of my mug, and of course I knock the mug over in the process. Coffee all over my dresser, wall and floor!

And I don’t have any children as an excuse, but I do have a puppy…though shes 8 months.. Okay no excuse at all. haha

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 29, 2015 at 9:26 am

gosh i love you. praying for fox and some answers too!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 29, 2015 at 11:56 am

I just laughed through this whole post (with you, not at you, of course). I totally feel you though. Pregnancy brain has hit me HARD in the last weeks or so. Last week I forgot to pick up lunch meat for my hubby at the store. So this week he reminded me, and a swung by the store on my way home from the gym. Got the lunch meat, good to go, right? Until the next afternoon when hubby texts me to ask if I forgot the lunch meat. No, I said, it’s in the fridge. No, apparently it wasn’t. It was on the bench right by our front door. Where it had been sitting since the night before when I brought it home and apparently left it there. So now I’ve forgotten about his lunch meat TWICE and the poor guys has been living off of PB&Js!

Janetha January 29, 2015 at 12:22 pm

lol i love it!!!

Dalia January 29, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I really loved this post… All the snuggles make it worth it :D

Erin January 29, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Well, now I have “5 little speckled frogs” stuck in my head! My last “duh” moment was making a Costco list, attaching the coupons to it, getting in the car and putting it in the glovebox (husband was driving and we had other errands first, so I wanted it out of the way) and then completely forgetting where it was when we got to Costco and not finding it until we got home (thank god for the automatic coupons at Costco)! Oh, and I have done this twice now (last week’s shopping mission had a similar “list missing” theme). I’m glad I can blame pregnancy, but am afraid what will happen to me when I have the kid and am also sleep deprived! Yikes, my mother makes so much more sense to me now ;)

Cassie January 29, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Hahahahahah! Putting almond milk in the cupboard is something I do on the reg, and I’m not even a mom. I’ve been known to put cheese in the pantry and non-perishable items in the freezer. I once prepped my lunch and stuck it in the cupboard instead of the fridge, so it was inedible the next morning when I noticed it wasn’t where I thought I put it. I don’t know what’s wrong with me when I’m cooking, but I just zone out. I fear for my brain when I actually have kids.

Abby B January 29, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Just wanted to say that I love how you keep it real!..and that you seem like such a good mom☺

Melissa @ProShapeFitness January 29, 2015 at 10:21 pm

LOL! You totally had me cracking up! Sounds so familiar. I wonder why…hmmm..

Nikki February 1, 2015 at 7:39 am

No experience with colic with my 7 month old but I personally had colic as a baby. My poor parents didn’t sleep through the night for 9 months. There was no explanation behind it, I was just a sour puss!

Marie-Sophie February 2, 2015 at 4:41 am

Haha! Yes, the struggle is SO real (and people always roll their eyes like why is she complaining about being tired or overwhelmed by parenting choices or being all over the place … they have NO idea!)!

My 3 month old is now fighting every nap like whoa and has suddenly decided that going to bed is not smooth sailing (just when you thought you had a routine – such a cliché) but that sleeping right at/on mum’s boob (or the safest, loveliest and best place on earth, as my midwife puts it :-) ) is where it’s at! So after a lonnnnng day I spent all evening either nursing and putting back to sleep or letting her sleep like that for a good amount of time. My midwife thinks that she needs a big fat chunk of “cuddling-safe-place-mom(‘s boob)-time” at the moment.

I am now trying to embrace it instead of worrying that it might become a really bad sleeping habit that I have to break sometime. It honestly is pretty hard sometimes to shake off that knowledge you have from books, blogs, people, media in general (or that people throw at you) and just go with your gut and trust that it will all work out in the end! (without my kid being unable to sleep on its own or without a boob/being carried around/being cuddled to sleep etc; same with being put down vs. carried around …)

Long comment (sorry) but you hit home here with your post! :-) Thanks, Janetha!

Janetha February 2, 2015 at 1:05 pm

girl, do what you can to get by. i realized that using crutches is NOT going to be a problem in the long run. you have to do what you need to at the moment! sounds like you are loving motherhood! <3

Tin Sauerbier February 2, 2015 at 5:35 pm

My duh moment was when I started the toaster without any toast in it!

Hope Fox’s sleep gets better. There should be a light at the end of the tunnel. My 5 month old (today yay!) went through the 1 hour waking sleep for like a week so I was stressing out.
Ok he was teething. He has two teeth now, but I think babies should come around and go back to their normal schedule. Trying to keep positive!
Keep the blogs coming. Hugs to Fox man.

His friend, Finn man.