some good & some bad.

by Janetha on January 25, 2015

in groceries,meals,random rambles,unfortunately

hey! happy sunday. how has your weekend been? good i hope. i have had a mix of good and bad.

good!

my dear friend, jenn, is in town! jenn has been traveling the country for years with her family–you may recall when i saw her in 2013. since then, they have welcomed a new baby to their family (yes, while RVing!! she’s supermom!) and their travels have brought them back to utah. marshall and i headed up to park city to have lunch and catch up on saturday afternoon.

NewImage

i stole the photo from jenn’s instagram, because that photo of her babe pulling off fox’s sock was too cute not to share.

it was such a lovely afternoon! jenn & her husband are amazing cooks, and made me and marshall our very first cuban meal. it was INCREDIBLE. i immediately asked for the recipe so we can make it at home ASAP.

cuban food!

so fun!

bad!

my brother, doug, had a BAD accident on friday night. he was night snowboarding and came up over a roller and a kid was sitting in the middle of the run (duh…) and doug collided with him. his femur hit the kid’s helmet and, well, the helmet won. his femur is shattered. ugh. he was lifeflighted to the hospital and had a rod put in his leg. he is still there. his road to recovery is going to be long, i know that for sure.. i broke my humerus snowboarding in 2007, and the recovery SUCKED. my arm was bad enough, i can’t even imagine it being my leg.

Screen Shot 2015 01 25 at 3 55 28 PM

anyway, he is obviously going to be unable to work (let alone walk) for quite some time. i started up a fundraiser because i know how hard it’s going to be for them to deal with medical bills and being injured and out of work. it is http://gofund.me/dougbenson. no pressure, but i wanted to spread the word about it in case you do feel inclined to donate. regardless, please send prayers and thoughts and whatever good things you believe in to him and his family at this time. thank you!

good!

i was surprised with a delivery from general mills. i had no idea it was even coming! it was definitely a nice package to unexpectedly come home to.

NewImage

do you SEE that? CHEX GRANOLA?! i am obsessed with chex, what a great idea to put it in granola! i tore into the honey nut one right away and it is flipping fantastic. i also immediately had a bowl of the ancient grains cheerios. my favorite cheerios are honey nut, but this new variety may be replacing them as my new favorite. the package came with a bunch of recipe cards that use all the items in the package. i plan to make some of them.. that is, if i can bear to part with the most adorable little bottle of syrup! gah.

mini syrup

bad!

weekends used to be for sleeping. not anymore! haha. i knew i would lose sleep when fox came into the picture, but his sleeping is actually worse than it’s ever been. :( even worse than the four month sleep regression. it sucks! i feel so bad for the little dude. you see, he goes down for the night really well, but his extreme gas wakes him up and he just wails the night away. last night he slept from 7:30 – 12:30 (which is an awesome stretch!) and then was up crying uncontrollably, screaming, and farting with a rumbly belly from 12:30-1:50, then again from 3:15 to 4:30, then up for the day at 5:45. poor guy is in pain and super confused about it i am sure. and the nightly rigamarole makes him tired.. we are all pretty sleepy around here.

NewImage

luckily he has had some great naps today. he is actually taking his third one right now as i type this. i am hoping he grows out of this, we have literally tried it all.. elimination diet for me, gas drops, gripe water, zantac, the windi, gaviscon, massage, bicycling his legs, the list really does go on! i spoke to a breastfeeding specialist and she doesn’t really think it’s what i am eating. she did mention that it may be his latch, he is taking in too much air, because it’s not quite as bad when he has pumped bottles (but it’s still bad.) so i have the number for a lactation consultant to check that out. his pediatrician is hoping his insides just need to mature. in the meantime… no sleep ’til brooklyn. or something like that.

good!

these SOCKS.

NewImage

freaking so cute, huh? i picked them up at babinski’s yesterday. i love baby socks. and look at their cool program if you lose one:

NewImage

that is legit!

bad!

i totally failed at my goals these past few days. i am not beating myself up over it because, well, life with a baby is hard work. but i haven’t made it to the gym and i haven’t hit my daily gallon of water goal, which are my two goals for the 12 week thing my family is doing. whoops! better luck tomorrow, right? on the upside, i have kept in line with my advocare nursing challenge, so that’s good. my digestion is better than ever and i know that eating well is helping combat the whole tired thing.

good!

all the grocery shopping is done for the week! we had a little family outing earlier today to costco, trader joe’s, and smith’s. isn’t fox the cutest little shopping buddy??

Screen Shot 2015 01 25 at 4 16 30 PM

if you are interested, here is the meal plan for the week!

breakfasts: since i am doing the advocare thing, breakfasts every day this week are the nondairy meal replacement shake. i LOVE it and actually look forward to it. i ix it with ice and almond milk, and sometimes a banana.

lunches:  i picked up a couple salads from trader joe’s as well as some of their precooked lemon chicken. i have never tried that, so i hope it’s good. i will also be making turkey avocado sandwiches on sprouted wheat bread.

snacks: apples, oranges, rice cakes, toast with almond butter & banana, cucumbers, celery, hummus, and hard boiled eggs. i also picked up a few KIND bars. should be set in the snack category!

dinners:

• sunday – dinner at my parents’ place tonight, yay!
  • monday – jessica’s buffalo chicken soup
  • tuesday – pot roast
  • wednesday – making shredded beef tacos with the leftover pot roast, using soft corn tortillas & guacamole
  • thursday – meatball subs.. a weekly staple. we use fresh buns from smith’s bakery and marinara & meatballs from trader joe’s
  • friday – dinner out
  • saturday – who knows? not me
so that’s the plan! should be a tasty week.
i think it’s best to end on a good note, don’t you? i am off to finish making randy’s food. we are still making his food from scratch every other week, in two-week batches. his liver disease has gotten worse, but we seem to think that the homemade diet at least slows the damage down. wishful thinking. :)
i hope you all have a wonderful week!

1. share one good & one bad from your weekend.

2. what’s on your menu this week? links welcome!

Christine January 25, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I’m sure you get lots of advice so please take this with a grain of salt. My son (15 months today!) had terrible gas when he was younger and I had many nights similar to yours. I think the crying gave him the second round of gas and crying and so on through the night. We were also trying to get him to sleep in his crib on his own and tried a sleep training technique where you remove sleep aids, basically anything that would require you to come back if they woke up again, like rocking or nursing to sleep. But also pacifiers. The first night was tough taking the binky away, but with the binky went the gas! I thought it was just luck but naps during the day and the next night were also pain free. Just thought I’d share since you have tried everything. Good luck! Hope you all get some good rest soon, I know it makes a world of difference! :-)

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Very interesting! He is a big sucker and reliant on his binky, that’s for sure. We were told not to remove sleep crutches right now because he is having such a hard time, but I never thought the pacifier may cause him to take in more air (because it’s kinda like a plug, ya know?) but that’s a good thought! Thank you for suggesting!

Erica January 25, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Hope you get some sleep and hope your bro gets better!!! Yayyy for getting the food shopping done and having a yummy meal plan!! That package from general mills looks awesome!! I totally want to try the chex granola!

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm

It’s seriously so good! You gotta find it. Or I bet you would be able to make it pretty easily.. now there’s a thought.. maybe in my spare time (hahaha what’s that) but yeah, it’s yum! Love you!

Beth January 25, 2015 at 8:02 pm

we have had luck with mOmmy’S Bliss GriPE Water

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:38 pm

That is the same brand we use.

Caroline @ The Little Things Blog January 25, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Those baby socks are so sweet looking!
A good from my weekend: I spent lots of time with a few groups of friends- it was truly fantastic.
A bad from my weekend: It’s ending too quickly! I need another day!

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Agreed, can we petition for a 3 day weekend and 4 day work week from here on out?!

Caroline @ The Little Things January 26, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I definitely think we should!

Wendy January 25, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Has the doc checked for reflux?

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Yes, he is on Zantac for it.

Rachel January 26, 2015 at 7:51 am

Let me preface this by saying that I’m NOT a mom, so I may not have any idea what I’m talking about, but my best friend’s baby had a lot of belly issues while she was nursing as well. She tried all of the things that you seem to have tried including elimination and nothing worked. She finally decided to try drinking a lot more water, (I think like 1-2 gallons per day) and it made all the difference in the world. Since you mentioned that you aren’t hitting a gallon a day, I was thinking maybe try it and see if it helps? Just an idea :)

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Thank you for your input! I only missed two days of not hitting a gallon, and still hit about 3/4 my goal–and the problems have been ongoing for months. I drink a ton of water usually b/c breast feeding makes you parched.. but the stress of everything w/ our family emergency left me lacking. I wish that was the problem, as it would be such an easy fix! I am glad your friend found a solution though, it’s agonizing trying to figure out a fix!

Stacey January 26, 2015 at 9:43 am

I know as a snowboarder you might not agree with me (or care), but my 2-cents as a skier…
Sorry to hear about your brother but I’m not surprised as snowboarders can be VERY frustrating. I will never understand why they stop and sit in the middle of runs, the side of mountains or right at the ski lift (start or end). I don’t care if you have to sit to get your ‘stuff’ together – just be courteous and move over! Your brother’s unfortunate accident is a perfect example of what can (and will) happen. We actually try and ski as many resorts that are skiers only for this exact reason – is that bad?

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I agree that some snowboarders are careless, skiers too – case in point is the accident. But that doesn’t apply to everyone, as most people have the common sense not to plop down anywhere and know the rules of the mountain. It’s unfortunate that there are people who don’t pay attention to their surroundings and accidents happen. I agree, move over!

Tamara January 26, 2015 at 10:55 am

Sending lots of good vibes to your brother! That sounds rough.

Sending sleepy vibes to Fox, too. I’m so glad you guys got to meet up with Jenn and her fam. I agree, they’re awesome cooks. So glad I got to visit them while they were in Michigan. <3

My week, good: my future sister-in-law's bridal shower.
My week, bad: I've been sick for a week! Coughing, mostly. Then I lost my voice, my low back went into spasm, and I sprouted all-over hives from the muscle relaxer I took. Sheesh. I'm on the mend, though!

Menu may include:

Tortellini pesto soup (https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/recipes/tortellini-in-pesto-broth.html)

Moroccan soup (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/11/slow-cooker-moroccan-chickpea-and.html)

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Oh, yummy! Sounds like a couple of tasty soups, thank you. I hope you get feeling better soon! <3

Tamara January 26, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Sure thing! I agree, and that tortellini one in particular sounds so easy!!

Thanks, sweetie. I’m sure I’ll be spiffy in no time. <3

Corrie Anne January 26, 2015 at 11:04 am

I love the tiny baby socks!! Yay. The good is that we got a lot done to “get ready” for the baby and finally packed our hospital bags which we were supposed to have done a few weeks ago. Oh well. It worked out. The bad is that I somehow managed to get really sleep deprived. I finally slept well last night but just with waking up so often to go to the bathroom (which is a long trip in our house), I sometimes stay awake for a few hours afterwards. Boo!! I don’t want to go into labor sleep deprived! Haha. That’s just not a good start. But I feel better today.

Hope your brother has quick recovery. That totally sucks.

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Ah you are getting so close! Hang in there! xoxoxo

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 26, 2015 at 11:09 am

So sorry to hear about your brother, and Fox’s tummy troubles! I hope both will get better quickly! I can only imagine how frustrating it can be to see your baby in pain, and now know how to fix it!

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Thank you! It really is so frustrating. Thinking we are going to get him into a specialist soon!

Jen@jpabstfitness January 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I feel your pain on the non-sleep. Emma is almost 10 months and from 7.5-9.5 months, she was up every single night every hour to hour and a half and totally boycotted naps. Words can’t express how utterly exhausted I was. Thankfully in the last week, she has VASTLY improved. Fingers crossed that you are able to figure out what’s going on with Fox and his tummy issues, that sounds horrible :(

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Eeek! Babies are a mystery. I am glad Emma is coming around! <3

Kristen January 26, 2015 at 5:53 pm

My best mom advice: you’re doing your best and this stage will pass.
I’m making a chicken/broccoli/quinoa casserole tomorrow. New recipe, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Janetha January 27, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Thank you! That definitely IS the best advice.

Gil January 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Does Randy already take Denamarin? Our lab has liver problems, so our vet prescribed it. By all accounts, it can often work wonders!

Janetha January 27, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Yep that is one of the 3 pills he’s prescribed!

Jaglangham January 27, 2015 at 12:26 am

Oh your poor brother!! I have to ask, what happened to the guy he hit? Also, I went to school for and worked as massage therapist many years ago and we learned a really gentle massage to do on babies tummies to relieve constipation and gas, maybe you can google it? I feel like it has helped Charlotte a few times when she was smaller and stopped up!

Janetha January 27, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I am not sure, I believe a concussion but he is OK. I have been doing massage on his belly with essential oils, it does help a little! I am also looking into a chiro for him! Hey we need to get Erin to make us yummy food and have a game night :)

betty January 28, 2015 at 8:29 am

those baby socks are adorable! what a bummer about fox’s tummy troubles. b’s niece had really bad issues, too, and they never could find the issue, it just eventually went away. hope it passes quickly!

Krystal January 28, 2015 at 1:21 pm

My little boy had severe reflux until the day he hit 4 months and it just gradually faded away. We had him on Nutramigen formula and tried everything in the world to help him including Zantac. We asked the pediatrician about side effects which include insomnia lol bc he was up allll the time when taking it (silly, but i was desperate to know why) but the pedi actually did say the alcohol in zantac can cause sore throats and when they checked him sure enough his throat was so red and raw. We took him off of it and just waited it out but noticed he actually did “better” on no meds. Just food for thought! :) you guys are doing such a great job and he is so cute. I hope his belly gets to feeling better soon. I def know what its like to have a lil one in pain and you cant do much for him :(

Janetha January 28, 2015 at 2:03 pm

So, I had actually read that about the throat thing and so we don’t give him the Zantac much anymore. He is seeming to be fine without it, because I really don’t think it is reflux and think it’s more gas/GI issues. So weird that you mentioned that formula, because my best friend texted me about that formula just this morning. I breast feed, but can’t help but wonder if it’s my milk despite my elimination diet. What are your thoughts on that formula?

Krystal January 28, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Well, we had him on the BabiesOnly organic formula at first and it severely constipated him so we moved him to Similac Sensitive which did nothing for his reflux it seemed. Then the Nutramigen was prescribed and seemed to really help. It’s not by any means what I would have wanted to give him but when your kid is in pain you do what you gotta do. It is costly and smells awful but it was one of the only formulas we saw that did not “foam” when we shook it up which we thought was great since we figured that meant less air bubbles. All in all it was def worth it since it helped him…& then once he got over his reflux we moved him to Babies Only Organic Lactose relief.

Janetha January 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for the info! xoxo

Gretchen @ Mama's Fuel January 28, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Gosh, I feel so badly for poor Fox, and of course for you and your hubby too with the whole sleep deprivation thing. As a new mama myself, I now know why they’ve used sleep deprivation as a form of torture for prisoners. It’s no joke. So my little guy has tummy issues too. Our pediatrician actually had us start using Nutramigen when he was 3 1/2 weeks old. My supply has been really low, so I was already supplementing with formula. I also removed dairy from my diet. It was literally a night/day difference from the first feeding with Nutramigen. He still has a ton of spit up, but he’s been a much happier baby. Before he just seemed sad and would cry so hard we could tell he was in pain. He’s also on Zantac, but like you, I can’t tell if it’s making a difference or not. I really struggled with the formula thing, but at the end of the day, all I want is my baby to be healthy and happy. Best of luck to you! xoxo

Janetha January 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a sample of the Nutramigen on the way, so I will give it a try. I don’t want to buy it if it’s not going to work, haha. Hang in there, mama! xoxo