now that i am back on the better-eating wagon, i checked my blog archives for simple, tasty meals to make. since i love to cook and create recipes, my passion is to think up recipes that are not only healthy, but delicious and different! i haven’t been able to make up NEW recipes lately, but it’s been ages since i have prepared any of my older ones. i dug up five dinner ideas to share with you today. hopefully it will help you get a little more creative in the kitchen, i know it’s going to help me!
makes 4 servings of 2 tacos each
- 12 oz opah, mahi, or other flaky fish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 head of cabbage (any color), chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- garnishes: plain greek yogurt (or low-fat sour cream), mashed avocado, pico de gallo, salsa, shredded cheese
- rub fish with oil and seasoning. broil for about 5-7 minutes on each side until cooked through, then flake with a fork.
- combine lime juice, cabbage, and cilantro in a bowl to make a slaw.
- warm tortillas in a skillet over low heat or in the microwave.
- assemble tacos layering the fish, slaw, and garnishes. enjoy!
makes 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 3/4” cubes
- 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 10 oz can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- garnishes: diced green onions, shredded cheddar & monterey jack cheeses, diced tomatoes, diced celery, chow mein noodles, crushed pineapple, shredded coconut, slivered almonds
- in a saucepan, combine chicken, cream of chicken soup, and chicken broth. bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. simmer until chicken is cooked through. alternately, you can cook the chicken in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours.
- assemble haystacks layering 1/2 cup cooked rice, chicken, and garnishes of choice. enjoy!
- four ciabatta rolls (or another bread of choice)
- 4 oz pesto (store-bought or make your own by combining 2 cups fresh basil, 2 TB olive oil, 1 clove garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender)
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced (you can buy this pre-cooked at your grocery store!)
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes
- 4 oz crumbled feta
- 4 TB balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- slice ciabatta rolls in half and spread an ounce of pesto on each side.
- layer chicken, tomatoes, and feta on one side the roll. drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top with salt & pepper.
- sandwich together and place in panini maker. if you don’t have one, simply grill the sandwich on a greased skillet over medium heat. enjoy!
makes 4 servings
- 2 TB olive oil
- 14 oz block firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
- seasoning: 2 oz nutritional yeast, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, boiled & mashed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 4 oz canned black beans, warmed
- 2 oz avocado, mashed
- 2 oz plain greek yogurt
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- heat 1 TB oil in a skillet over medium heat. crumble tofu into skillet and add seasoning. sauté, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes. set aside.
- heat remaining 1 TB oil in the skillet over medium heat. add peppers and onions and sauté until soft, another 5-7 minutes.
- assemble by layering sweet potatoes, tofu, peppers and onions, black beans, avocado, yogurt, and cheese. enjoy!
GREEK TORTELLINI SALAD
makes 4 servings
- 8 oz pesto filled tortellini
- 6 oz olive tapenade
- 6 oz crumbled feta
- 4 oz greek-style feta dressing
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- optional add-in: diced grilled chicken breast
- cook tortellini according to package directions.
- toss cooked tortellini with remaining ingredients.
- serve warm or refrigerate for 2 hours if you prefer it cold. enjoy!
i hope these healthy dinner recipes make it into your kitchen!
what is your favorite healthy dinner?
xo. janetha g.