planning my plan.

by Janetha on January 11, 2015

in goals,meals

hi! how was your weekend? mine was rather uneventful, but i actually SLEPT, so i think that’s a pretty big deal.

yesterday morning we went on some errands, hoping fox would sleep in the car. i had a birthday party to go to, but fox refused to catch some ZZZs.. so i decided heading home and trying to help him nap was a wiser idea. he’s the boss!

NewImage

cranky pants. minus the pants.

so after a couple not so awesome cat naps throughout the early afternoon, the little dude finally zonked out at 4:30. i was thinking this was his typical late afternoon nap… but an hour went by, i cuddled with the dogs. then two hours… so i made enchiladas for dinner (yes! i cooked. didn’t take photos but it was–>shredded chicken that i bought precooked from smiths, green onions, green chiles, cilantro, salsa, black olives, green enchilada sauce, all mixed together and rolled up in tortillas and topped with cheese and red enchilada sauce. i like mixing the red and green sauces. we topped them with guacamole and sour cream. this is a long ramble to be stuck inside a set of parentheses!) anyway.. three hours went by.. marshall and i texted videos of fox as a newborn back and forth (yes.. haha.) then four hours… i eventually had to pump, because, well, yeah. i decided fox thought it was bedtime, so i finally went to bed myself at 9. sure enough, he woke up at 10 haha. so i fed him and marshall took over and i went back to bed…. until 5:30 AM! holy crap, i got seven straight hours of sleep. for the first time since august! i guess marshall did his bedtime routine at 11:30 (we usually do it at 8:30) and fed him a couple ounces that i’d pumped and then he slept a six hour chunk. i don’t want to jinx myself by celebrating, but i am hoping this is a sign that his four month regression is almost over!

so, feeling pretty refreshed this morning, i decided to fold my laundry (ugh) and then get a plan in place for the week, since my family is starting our 12 weeks of focusing on getting healthier tomorrow! it’s a really loose plan, but some of you asked me to share the details as well as our mini-goals each week. momma b was in charge of setting week one’s goal, and she decided it will be to do 100 squats every day. we can break it up or do it all at once, just as long as we get them done!

i mentioned we will each be picking on nutritional and one physical goal for the 12 weeks. here are mine:

nutritional: drink one gallon of water a day. it’s silly i have to make this a goal, as i used to do this without thinking. for years. but i have really let my hydration situation slip, and i know drinking water is good for SO many reasons! it gives you energy (god knows i need it), it gives you better skin, it helps digestion, it helps your urinary tract (an area where i have chronic issues), and it’s also great for breastfeeding. so i need to make it a point to get that gallon in!

physical: work out at least 3 times a week. i needed to be realistic here. i think three is do-able! sometimes i may have to get it done at home, but i hope to get to GPP three days a week. mondays are super easy for me, and then i can usually get another two in between wednesday and saturday. so that’s the plan!

i have really, really, REALLY been meaning to clean up my diet and eat more healthfully. it’s been since before my pregnancy that i actually tried eating better. it’s like i am brand new to this clean eating thing again, it’s actually very weird. i kind of didn’t know where to start or what to do. if you have read my blog for awhile, you know i got my initial start in clean eating with body for life. i do really well with a plan and structure, that’s one thing i know about myself! so, i decided i should probably find something to follow to kick my butt in gear. body for life is 12 weeks and, to be honest, that was a little overwhelming for me. so i decided to do a modified, breastfeeding-friendly version of the advocare 24 day challenge.

i did the real one back in 2013 and really enjoyed the structure. it’s not intense or super hard, which is good for me right now because i can’t handle anything too crazy considering my current life demands. the plan consists of eating six times a day–three meals and three snacks (that’s actually the same as body for life) and then you are supposed to exercise (there’s not a set plan, it just tells you to get moving) and then there is some supplementation. like i said, i’m doing a modified plan because i am nursing, so the supplementation will be a lot less than the original plan.

the first ten days is meant to clean up your diet and prepare your body for maximum vitamin absorption for the final 14 days. i don’t like calling it a cleanse, because you are still eating 6x a day. you are just eating nutritious foods and supplementing with fiber, probiotics, and omegas. it’s actually an awesome 10 day jumpstart for anyone! after the initial 10 days, the diet stays the same (except you can add in dairy, which is recommended you avoid during the first 10 days) and the supplementation changes a bit. i will be taking BCAAs, omegas, a multivitamin with added iron, and probiotics. since i have not been taking any vitamins at all lately, not even my prenatal vitamin that i’m supposed to be taking, i think this plan will help me get back on track!

NewImage

it’s going to be fun because a handful of my friends will also be doing the 24 days with me! strength in numbers, right? we will all text about how sad we are about not eating cookies for breakfast.. but we will be better off for it in the long run.

when i did this in the past, i took photos and focused on my physique probably way more than i should have. i won’t be doing that this time around. something changed in my brain after having a baby. i can honestly say i don’t care a single bit about my weight or what i look like in a bikini. it’s fine if you care about that, it’s normal to want to look good, and i am in no way knocking people who do it for looks. but for me.. it’s just not a priority. as long as i am at a healthy weight and don’t have to buy an entire new wardrobe, i am good. i am doing this to get healthier, have more energy, and find those good habits that i lost somewhere between pregnancy and today. i am also hoping that cleaning up my act will also help fox.. his GI issues are still present, and i can’t help but wonder if doing this will help out with them. it definitely won’t hurt, that’s for sure.

so that’s the plan! i am getting excited to have a little structure back in my life, i’ve been all over the place for the past 4 1/2 months, eating whatever was fast and convenient, but it wasn’t always the best option. wish me luck! i’ll need it, haha.

so i did a little meal planning this week, something i love and actually missed. here is what i came up with for this week:

breakfasts: eggs, eggs, eggs. scrambled, over easy, boiled, you name it. eggs are easy and nutritious! i will pair two eggs with a piece of fruit. i will also have my daily bowl of oatmeal. on days 11-24, breakfasts are a meal replacement shake, but i will add my oatmeal to that as well. i have to be sure to keep my calories up for nursing.

lunches: this week amanda and i are making a big batch of jamie eason’s turkey chili at work on monday and then will eat the leftovers. i also have some leftover enchiladas (i made a few without the cheese) that i will alternate with the chili.

dinners: spinach linguine with meat sauce & a spinach salad; taco salads; artichoke stuffed chicken, grain pilaf, & asparagus; and something with the pork loin i have in my freezer (any ideas?)

snacks: i bought a bunch of veggies (carrots, celery, mini bell peppers, cucumbers) and hummus. i have hard boiled eggs, rice cakes with sunbutter, cooked chicken from trader joe’s, bran flakes with almond milk, and fruit.

hopefully this selection of healthy eats will keep me away from grabbing fast food, taking a couple of cookies with me on my drive to work, and eating dinners out more than in. i bet we will save a lot of money, too! added bonus.

this post has been super wordy! how about a few photos of food and fox?

we got takeout from our favorite place for breakfast, sunshine cafe. i had the french toast combo with eggs over easy and sausage.

NewImage

we went to my parents’ for dinner and had ham, scalloped potatoes, salad, and rolls.

NewImage

brownies and nielsen’s frozen custard for dessert!

NewImage

fox man watching the packers game today. he’ll be as big as a football fan as his daddy, for sure! (and YAY, they won!!)

NewImage

hanging out while we made randy’s food.. we make his food every two weeks. it’s a task.

NewImage

getting cozy earlier at momma b’s.

NewImage

and loving tummy time.. he’s much happier today after so much sleep!

Screen Shot 2015 01 11 at 2 38 33 PM

another work week starts tomorrow. sigggh. oh, but we are announcing some cool things over on the blend retreat blog! so that’s exciting. be sure to check it out.

i’m gonna log off and soak up the last few hours of the weekend. bye!

1. what is your favorite snack?

2. how much water do you drink every day?

Becky @ TheBexFactor January 11, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I’m making it my goal to drink 5 Contigos a day. Which really is 5L. Which is probably also a gallon, but I really don’t know my conversions, haha.

I also do better with a plan. I wish I could afford a nutrition coach to take the thinking out of it for me. But I’m trying to clean up my diet by just sticking to paleo, limiting alcohol to social outings (which are rare for a single mom like me), and not indulging in my son’s snacks….

Renee January 11, 2015 at 8:47 pm

OMG! I recently made an AMAZING pork loin for guests and it is soooo easy and very little ingredients. It’s on the Pioneer Woman’s website, just search for it, it’s the only one on there. My one piece of advice, go by temp, not time, mine took about 30 minutes. :)

Janetha January 12, 2015 at 10:07 am

Thank you for the suggestion!

Katie January 11, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Yahoooo :) I love “following” your journey on these challenges! I typically drink a lot of water because in this below zero weather haha… since I’m always frozen, water doesn’t sound good at all! Favorite Snack.. Apples & PB!

Carbzilla January 11, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Sounds like a great plan!

I FINALLY found a workout I love (Bootcamp) so I’m concentrating on that more than food, though I still eat clean. My weight has been all over the place, but I figure I’m good as long as I keep consistent with my workouts. It’s been years since I’ve had a workout I love.

Fox is SO cute. I don’t know how you get anything done at all.

Janetha January 12, 2015 at 10:07 am

Glad you found something you love! It’s def hard to focus with Fox around haha. Love you!!

CARLA January 12, 2015 at 4:20 am

(((CHECKING IN ON YOU))))
so glad you snagged some sleep.

xoxo

Colleen January 12, 2015 at 8:11 am

You have to try Island Pork Tenderloin- Sooooooo good! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Island-Pork-Tenderloin-Salad-108103.

We just make the pork, not the salad. We did make the salad once, but weren’t fans of the vinaigrette. :)

Janetha January 12, 2015 at 10:06 am

Thank you for the link!

Andrea@WellnessNotes January 12, 2015 at 8:13 am

Glad you got some sleep! It makes such a difference…

I know that you enjoy plans and structure, and your current plan sounds very doable! Enjoy it!

Heathers Looking Glass January 12, 2015 at 8:14 am

I am so dreading the 4 month sleep regression. We have been super spoiled, EK sleeps 12 hours at night, so I have a feeling the regression will hit us hard. Glad everyone was able to get some sleep!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 12, 2015 at 8:55 am

I love how close your family is and how you all do things like this together! Will you all adopt me? ;)

I’m mid-24 DC right now as a way to help clean up my diet of all the extra indulgences I’ve had lately. It feels good to be getting back to my healthy roots and finding my energy again. :)

Erica January 12, 2015 at 10:15 am

HE IS SO CUTE! Yayy for sleep. Big deal for mamas! Your plan sounds great! I focus on 4 BIG bottles of water a day. I usually do pretty well. Favorite snack? Probably apple and sun butter!

Allison January 12, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Is taking Spark and Catalyst really a good idea when you are breast feeding?

Janetha January 12, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Neither product is at all harmful to take while nursing. Spark has 125mg of caffeine, about the same as coffee, and my doctor advised me to keep it under 330mg.. I am limiting it to one Spark a day, which is well under her recommendation. I have cut out coffee. Catalyst is simply a blend of amino acids, which is actually beneficial whether nursing or not, and actually my doctor advised me to incorporate BCAAs into my daily regimen. Here is a full printout of what products are OK and not for pregnant/nursing women. https://www.advocare.com/Microsite/Pdf/agepregnancynursing.pdf Hope that answers your question!

jess t January 12, 2015 at 12:54 pm

1 – snack = junk food in my brain…so my faves are chips and brownies. healthy food wise, i love hummus and veggies, fruit and nut butter or pistachios.

2- i bought a 64 oz. water bottle and if i finish the entire thing in one day i am happy. i used to use a smaller bottle and refill it but found myself not drinking as much as i do with a larger bottle. drinking water is a mind game for me.

excited to follow along with your challenges! i am in the midst of my own, operation look good naked. i don’t have kids so i feel like i have not excuse to not have a super hot bod. maybe that’s superficial. but that’s where i’m at. :)

Janetha January 12, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Hey, no shame in that, lady! You go :)

Kim Hoeltje January 12, 2015 at 4:01 pm

A huge goal of mine is to drink more water! I am doing a little better, but I just don’t like it! :(

Corrie Anne January 12, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Drinking water is a constant struggle for me right now at 9 mos pregnant! Haha. I want to drink, but I forget. And it’s also just annoying because of how much I already have to pee. But still, I feel much better when I do it, but like everything else it tends to fall by the wayside during the weekends. Oops!!!!

My favorite snacks are lara bars, chomps – grassfed beef sticks, and vans power protein waffles with jam! I actually drink a lot of an amino drink that is similar to some of the advocare product. It REALLY helps my energy levels. Plus with the whole drinking water thing.

I love a good plan and yours looks great and totally practical!! Have fun. And Fox is the cutest!! Love seeing you loving being a mom. It’s very encouraging. :) <3

Kristen January 12, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I’m doing a 4 week challenge with a final goal of getting to a gallon a day

jodie January 12, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I’m going to track 100 squats and 1 gallon of water. I’d like to get 3-5 workouts each week. I like accountability so hope that’s ok. It’s fun to do things like this “with” others.

Nuts and seeds would be a really good snack :)

I love fruit and yogurt. You could find coconut yogurt! Mix in some chia seeds for those omega3s.

Good luck :)

Janetha January 13, 2015 at 9:28 am

Yes! Please do follow along!

jodie January 12, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Also, are you doing sleep training or what are your fox/crib guidelines?

Janetha January 13, 2015 at 9:28 am

We are trying to get him to love his crib! He hates it, haha. He slept in the rock’n’play from birth because of the angle/his reflux. He is also still swaddled. He was doing well swaddled with one arm out in the crib, but when his 4 month regression hit, all hell broke loose. We have reverted back to the rock’n’play for now, and will work on the crib again once it has passed. We haven’t done any sleep training yet, but we plan to. Not sure what method we will use, yet!

Amanda January 13, 2015 at 6:47 am

Omg that pictrue of Fox on the counter….cannot handle the cuteness!!!!!!

Nikki January 14, 2015 at 7:57 am

My favorite snack is peanut butter powder mixed with whipped cream. Obviously not a nutritional power house, but a yummy combination.

Jessica @ Absurd, She Wrote January 14, 2015 at 8:22 am

I’m 10 weeks postpartum and I identify with the struggle to return to healthier eating. It’s not even that I’m just over here snacking on bon-bon’s – it’s more that I’m not sitting down to real meals. I eat bites here and there when I can grab them, forget to eat for hours and then find myself dealing with blood sugar issues, and relying waaaay too much on coffee to function on limited sleep.

It’s not much, but my first real step back to healthy eating has been making sure I sit down every night and eat a real dinner of cooked food. From a plate. At a table. Like a human being.

Janetha January 14, 2015 at 10:32 am

Ah.. I can so relate! Here’s to being human!

betty January 16, 2015 at 8:59 pm

i’m so proud of my water intake lately! i’ve been getting a solid 160 in a day. and now i’ll stop commenting all over your stuff. i’ve been so busy at work i havent had time to read :(