weekend fun.

by Janetha on October 19, 2014

in eating out,family time,fox,fun with friends,meals

hi! it’s sunday night and i have about 15 minutes before fox’s (and my) bedtime, so i thought i would pop in and share my weekend highlights!

saturday i woke up bright and early at 5 AM. i am still trying to tell fox he can sleep in until noon on the weekends.. but he’s not convinced. ;) i spent the morning eating oatmeal and brownies (it’s fine) and drinking coffee and cuddling on the couch.

around 11 we headed to the pumpkin patch with friends to pick out a few pumpkins for the porch.

NewImage

this was both mine and marshall’s first time visiting a pumpkin patch! and fox’s, of course. i think it will be a family tradition!

NewImage

after the patch we headed to target for a few things. on the way home we stopped by five guys and got a couple burgers and fries to go because fox needed lunch, too. we got home and i fed him and then ate my lunch.

NewImage

saturday afternoon we had some down time, so fox napped on me while marshall and i watched the fall–a netflix TV series. it’s about a serial killer and it’s real good. unfortunately the first season only had 5 episodes, so we are already done with it.  i think there will be another season released soon. if you are into that sort of show, check it out! it’s good!

Screen Shot 2014 10 19 at 9 58 07 PM

saturday night was a big night! marshall’s birthday was thursday (happy birthday to him!) and so i planned a date night out for saturday. we used to go to movies quite frequently, but once fox was born that became impossible. so, to celebrate his bday, we went to dinner and a movie!

we left fox man with nana sue AKA momma b. i have a freezer stash of extra breast milk that i collected while i was on maternity leave, so i don’t have to worry about pumping for times like these. although making a freezer stash is a pain, so i am super selective about when i use it! but a birthday date night was a very, very good reason.

NewImage

we went to settebello for dinner–they have great authentic pizza. we started with a couple of pyramid hefeweizens and shared a salad.

NewImageNewImage

i got the settebello pizza, which had prosciutto, sausage, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, pine nuts, mozzarella, and basil. delicious.

NewImage

after dinner we headed to the theater to see gone girl. i read the book a couple years ago and loved it. my memory sucks and i had forgotten all the details, so it was nice to see the movie to refresh my memory! we really liked it.

my mom sent me a some photos of fox hanging out–looks like he had a great time with my parents!

Screen Shot 2014 10 19 at 10 01 57 PMScreen Shot 2014 10 19 at 10 01 36 PM

today was not quite as eventful, but it was still great. after another 5 AM wake up call, i fed fox and rocked in his glider for an hour or so. marshall got up and made me an open face egg and goat cheese sandwich alongside some pumpkin coffee.

after i ate, i fed fox again. unfortunately, fox was pretty grumpy. i think his belly was hurting him.. poor fellow. after over an hour of crying, he finally decided he would take a nap.

NewImage

i should have napped, too, but i am dumb. instead, i cleaned. after his nap, i fed him again before heading out to the grocery store. marsh and fox stayed behind while i picked up the groceries for the week.

NewImage

the dinner menu this week is the dish you’ll see below, monday is crock pot chicken phillies, tuesday is taco soup, wednesday is baked sweet & sour chicken, and thursday is chicken noodle soup. should be a tasty week!

i got a salted caramel mocha while i was out. WAY too chocolate-y.. will have to get half the syrup next time.

NewImage

when i got home, fox ate again (how would it be to eat 7-8 times a day?) and then i got busy in the kitchen! i have been slacking on cooking lately, but today i got the itch.

NewImage

i made this BLT macaroni salad for lunches and i also got to work on dinner–a casserole that is a mix between french onion soup and beef stroganoff. it was SO good. i will share the recipe this week.

NewImage

after dinner we headed to my brother’s to celebrate my nephew, greyson’s, bday. grey turned four last week! (yes, he is wearing safety goggles. he is the best.)

NewImage

i didn’t get the memo that it was an outside celebration, so fox didn’t come prepared with layers. (mother of the year!) luckily his cousin, nora, likes to share.. he borrowed her pink blankie and stylish beanie.

NewImage

the hat was a little large!

NewImage

we moved things inside to open presents and my little fam cuddled up on their oversized chair. i want one of these big chairs SO bad.

NewImage

we came home and i fed fox some dinner, then we played with penny for a little bit.

NewImage

i just finished cleaning up the house and putting away my laundry that marshall folded (he is a keeper!) now we are going to give fox his bath and do his bedtime routine.

sigh.. another monday tomorrow! the weekends go by way, way too fast.. but they sure are fun!

hope yours was great. :)

1. what was the last movie you watched–in or out of the theater?

2. what was the best thing you ate over the weekend?

Franziska October 19, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Oh gosh, big movie lovers over here too but haven’t been since before we had our daughter who is 8 weeks today (When and how did that happen? I swear we brought her home yesterday…) so I can’t wait to have a dinner and movie date as well! We’ll go to a concert in 2 weeks so I think that will be my first time away from her.

Julie October 20, 2014 at 12:45 am

We ate at Settebello when we were in SLC and it was fantastic!

Jenn @ Mark My Miles October 20, 2014 at 3:35 am

Sounds like a great weekend, a mix of being productive and relaxing. I chased my toddler around all weekend while my hubby is away for business. Its been a long week!

Krista October 20, 2014 at 4:25 am

Fox is crazy cute!! My kids are 9 and 13 but I love your realistic approach to parenthood : ) It only gets better as time goes on!!

Erica October 20, 2014 at 5:33 am

What a great weekend! Yayy for a date night- so fantastic and needed when you have a newborn. I can’t get over how cute he is! Gah! Love the little skeleton outfit. Last movie I saw was at home: Saving Mr Banks. I loved it. Best thing I ate this weekend? Brussels Sprouts out with lemon and a lotta spice!

jessiker October 20, 2014 at 6:05 am

You crazy kids.

Danielle October 20, 2014 at 6:56 am

Aww, this sounds like an amazing weekend. And Greyson’s cake looks awesome – I don’t know what that dump truck is carrying but it looks like something I would eat ;)

Abby October 20, 2014 at 7:17 am

Every freaking picture of him just gets cuter and cuter. Seriously. And I haven’t been to the movies in years, so cue the lameness on my end.

Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat October 20, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I feel like he is so expressive! looks like a great family weekend.

Megan October 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Love your posts. Sounds like you had a great weekend!

I have a request (if you’ve already written about it I apologise, baby brain). What the heck do I wear once my baby comes and I need to be able to flip out my boob in a moment’s notice? Obviously I need to get bras but I’m going to wait as long as possible. But what about tops? I have nothing suitable in my current, miniscule wardrobe. Any maternity clothes Ive bought are dresses and none are suitable. Do I need to buy actual breastfeeding tops or could I get away with singlets? I’m in the Southern Hemisphere so it will be summer when the baby arrives.

Thanks in advance!

Janetha October 24, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi, Megan! I haven’t posted about this yet, but I probably will sometime or another. So.. you definitely want to have a couple nursing bras. I have three–a black on, a nude one, and one that is more like a sports bra/comfier than regular bras. I will pair the bra with a top that is easy to pull down (deep V neck or something) or easy to pull up (slouchy, baggy top). I also have a few nursing tanks, which are nice because the bra is built in, and I just have to undo the tab and it pulls down for easy access. I prefer these to bras, and I have about 6 of them. It is cooler here, so I wear a nursing tank paired with a zip up hoodie or a cardigan. In the summer, you could get away with just wearing the tank. HOWEVER, I often just wear regular tank tops/camisoles and no bra. I don’t think anyone can do this.. but if you are like me, you can. The thing about me is that I don’t leak, so I can get away with not wearing a bra at all. Like today, I am wearing a black $3 forever 21 camisole, leggings, and a slouchy short sleeve top. I just take the strap of the camisole down and pull my top up when it’s time for him to eat. The camisole still covers my stomach and the top of the top covers the top part of my boob (lots of “top” in that sentence!) So I love this outfit because I just feed Fox at my desk and literally no skin is showing so the bashful men in my office don’t get caught offguard, and I don’t have to leave my desk. Sorry this is really long.. but I would say if you don’t leak and can get away wearing no bra or just a built in bra tank (I think that’s what you call a singlet?) then go for it. Hold off on buying a ton of nursing specific gear until you know! Maybe just get one tank and one bra and go from there–that’s basically what I did. xoxoxoxo

SuzanneU October 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm

The last movie I saw in the theater was “Guardians of the Galaxy”. It was awesome. We don’t go to the movies much because we love to watch movies at home. I make a new recipe and we hunker down.

I am 9 weeks pregnant so nothing I eat is particularly good at the moment. LOL. Small price to pay.

What do you think of “The Fall”? I thought it was great but it ended so abruptly. I hope they make new seasons.

Krista October 20, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Your lil’ family is so sweet! Thanks for the Netflix recommendation…I was looking for something new. I started watching “The Fall”…I’m intrigued and freaked out at the same time! I’m hooked. :)

Megan October 27, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Thank you SO much for your very helpful and detailed reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. Love your tips, I’ll definitely just start off with the bare basics and go from there.