oktoberfest & fox’s best day ever.

by Janetha on October 11, 2014

in fox,fun with friends,love life,oh baby

hey, guys! it’s saturday night and i just put fox down to bed. i should be going to bed myself, especially since my throat has been sore, but i wanted to share my day before time slips away from me!

today was such a great day. i think this saturday was better than a typical one because my first week of work after maternity leave was pretty hard on me. <–i read that sentence like four times and it doesn’t sound right, but i can’t be bothered to change it. you get my drift.

anyway, we woke up bright and early at 5 AM.. fox doesn’t know what weekends are. after feeding him and hanging out for a bit, we both went back to bed for a couple hours. we were then up for the day at 8. i made some eggs with goat cheese and ham plus a couple pieces of toast. while i ate, fox hung out in his bouncer that i had up on the kitchen counter.

NewImage

fox was cheerful all morning–mornings are his best time typically. after i ate, i went in his nursery to hang out with him for awhile and cuddle and play. that’s when i saw his first REAL smiles! he was responding to me and getting so giddy and grinning from ear to ear. my heart basically exploded.

NewImage

after that he went down for another two hours and marshall and i cleaned up the house. he woke up and i fed him and then passed him off to marshall so i could get ready. he got fox dressed and ready to go.

NewImage

we headed out to whole foods for a late lunch. then i fed fox in the parked car.. sometimes you gotta! after that we swooped jessica and her babe, stevie, up and headed to snowbird ski & summer resort for oktoberfest!

NewImage

we met our friends michelle and bryan there (along with the rest of salt lake city since it’s the last weekend of oktoberfest.)

NewImage

jessica and i are both breastfeeding, but it’s fine to have one beer. especially a wimpy utah beer! we definitely enjoyed our ONE beer.

NewImage

you know what was funny (and dumb)? they wouldn’t let jessica or marshall wear the babies through the beer line. they said there is no tolerance for anyone under 21 in the line. oh, utah. so i got marshall his beer and told him he BETTER NOT give fox any of his beer.

NewImage

i love utah in the fall! the leaves are all changing right now and it’s absolutely gorgeous. i miss the mountains, i didn’t get up there much this past year because i was pregnant and lazy.

NewImage

we took a time out on a bench and chatted while numerous people commented on fox’s hat. apparently packers gear on a baby makes people super chatty! well, probably that paired with the fact that we were at a beer festival.

NewImage

side note.. i love how worried and concerned fox always looks. must be those big eyes.

family pic! fox lost a sock somewhere along the way. i will now forever carry an extra pair in my purse.

NewImage

we headed into the tent to listen to the live german music and enjoy some authentic cuisine. marshall had spatzle and i had the warm german potato salad. hit the spot!

NewImage

fox got nothing, but he stared at me while i ate.. doing his signature pose of fist-to-the-chin. always in this position.

NewImage

marshall loves spatzle so much, he had to get seconds.

NewImage

things closed down at 6 and we headed back to the car, where we changed our babes side by side. they weren’t impressed.

NewImage

it was such a fun time! i am glad we made the journey up there.. it’s always harder to do things with a baby, but this was definitely worth the effort.

when we got home, i fed fox and he hung out in his swing while i ate some homemade chicken noodle soup. he was getting super sleepy, so we  started his bedtime routine about 15 minutes early. he had a great time in the bath and didn’t cry at all! in fact, he was cooing and smiling and actually enjoying himself. so cute!

after his bath, he has naked tummy time on a towel in his room. after hanging out on his tum for awhile and squawking a bit, he rolled over! what! i’m so sad i didn’t have my phone handy for a video… who knows when it will happen again.. pretty sure it was a few lucky kicks and grunts that did it. it was pretty exciting, though. we even clapped for him, haha.

after tummy time, we put his jams on and marshall read him a story before i fed him and put him to bed.

NewImage

this guy had the best day ever! first real smiles, a happy bath, and the roll over. he’s growing up too fast.. i swear he will be driving next week.

well, i am hitting the sack! gotta get it in when i can fit it in. hope you guys had a nice weekend!

1. do you like german food? have you been to oktoberfest?

2. why did you last clap?

Jenny L October 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I enjoyed this post! I just had a baby (well 3 months ago) and I love reading about the good times you guys had as a family. I feel like people sometimes look down on things i choose to do with my baby (like going to a festival or even dinner downtown) but i know when she is comfy and chill or not happy to be in a certain spot. Enjoy your baby and new little family!!

Momma b October 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Love Fox’s best day ever recap! Should be a children’s book. Nope not a real fan of German food.
I clapped and shouted for joy as I watched the blue Angels flying overhead…spectacular!
Fox and his had just too cute

lindsay October 12, 2014 at 5:17 am

haha wimpy utah beer, I believe. The family is full of great smiles. LOVE IT! Makes my heart melt.

Janetha October 14, 2014 at 9:59 am

love you!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 12, 2014 at 5:30 am

I can’t get enough! Fox is one of the most adorable babies! Ah :) XOXO

Tara October 12, 2014 at 5:52 am

I am not a mom but I look forward to these posts (with Fox) as much as I did your workout or recipe posts. Golly he’s a cutie. I need to find a tiny Broncos beanie for my soon to be nephew….

Janetha October 14, 2014 at 9:59 am

Aww thank you! So kind of you to say :)

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out October 12, 2014 at 6:07 am

I love Fox’s Packers beanie!!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 12, 2014 at 6:14 am

He’s such a little cutie!! glad you guys had such a great day! :)

Kristen October 12, 2014 at 7:53 am

I like some German food but not all. We went to a similar Oktoberfest in VT a couple times. So much fun!

Purelytwins October 12, 2014 at 8:51 am

love this!! love all the giggles and smiles ;)

xoxo

Katie October 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

You write about things most people don’t think too. Too funny about not letting the babies into the beer line, I suppose they have to have a cut off for children. Still crazy! No beer for the baby.

And fox is the cutest! His worried expression is hilarious! Must be thinking deep thoughts.

Erica October 12, 2014 at 9:48 am

Such cute pictures! Glad yall had a good adventure out! I cannot believe they wouldn’t let Fox in line- that is crazy town.

Lauren October 12, 2014 at 11:53 am

Such a great weekend! I love taking G out, but you are right, it’s SO MUCH work! I feel like when we go out, an hour feels like an entire day.
Yay for Fox developing! I can’t wait to see G’s smiles. :) He is already rolling over (in fact he was doing that at 10 days old) so I think I’m in for quite an active baby.
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday hun!

Bears Still Suck October 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Well, now you know why they call us “the cardiac pack”! Lol

Nice hat, but where’s the Packer outfit?

Janetha October 14, 2014 at 9:46 am

haha! all his packers gear is still too big.. i need to find it tinier!

Marie-Sophie October 13, 2014 at 1:02 am

Yay Oktoberfest! I am German so I had to smile when I read that Marshall loves “Spaetzle” :-) My husband is from the Southern part of Germany (in the North of Germany you actually don’t really eat that .. they’re more into potatoes) where it’s a common side dish and we also live in the South now, so our fridge and cupboards are never without a few versions of them. :-) My husband’s family even has them for their christmas dinner every year!

Janetha October 14, 2014 at 9:03 am

I KNEW that was the wrong spelling! I thought it had an “ae” in it (my old roomie named his dog spaetzle) and I googled it and it came back the way I typed it. I was skeptical lol.

steph October 13, 2014 at 8:17 am

You look so great for just having a baby!!! Little man is so cute!!

Janetha October 14, 2014 at 9:02 am

thanks!

Tamara October 13, 2014 at 8:41 am

He is so cute! I love how he furrows his eyebrows… definitely lends to the “worried” look. xo

Annette@FitnessPerks October 13, 2014 at 7:47 pm

he’s so cute in his beanie!! awwww!

Love your family pic <3

Jamie October 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Fox is such a cutie!
I went to Germany for the first time this past June and realized I really like German food…mmmmmm schnitzel.

cassy October 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

LOVE the family picture!!
can i just say how dreamy Marshall looks in that pic with Fox while eating his spatzle? Fatherhood looks good on him! :)

Janetha October 17, 2014 at 8:12 am

haha i know i’m obsessed. he has really changed a ton since fox was born, too! in a good way!