are you wasting your money?

by Janetha on October 3, 2014

in random rambles

heyo! today is my last day off on maternity leave :( yeah, i have the weekend, but it’s my last actual day off of work. how depressing–6 weeks legit FLEW by. i’m fortunate in that i get to take fox to work with me, but it’s going to be challenging to work AND care for him. mondays are super busy at work, so marshall will stay home with him. but tuesday through friday, fox will be a working man!

but right now he is a napping man. and i am surfing the interwebs and being lazy. i think i’ll stay in my pajamas all day. i had my 6 week postpartum check up yesterday and got cleared for exercise.. i was semi-hoping she would say i needed to take another couple of months off hahaha. guess that means i should get back into the swing of things.. eventually.. but for now? lazy interweb browsing.

right now i am looking for baby halloween costumes.. it’s hard when your babe will only be 2 months on halloween and is teeny. there isn’t a lot to choose from! but i have seen some funny things.. like an ear of corn or baby elvis..

Screen Shot 2014 10 03 at 12 56 13 PM

..yeah, no. i will keep looking, haha. i did come across an article of 35 baby costumes that are as adorable as they are witty. loved some of these! the chipotle burrito.. hahaha. (but don’t they know the foil is silver?)

another thing i came across on the internet the other day was this article about 10 things americans are wasting their money on.

side note: i kind of miss just sharing random stuff i find on the internet and talking about it. that’s how  blog land used to be, before it was sponsored post here and advice column there. just a compilation of random thoughts and things. and i feel like migrating back to that.. at least when i have time to do so! finding out about new products and companies or sharing knowledge and advice is great, and necessary, but sometimes ya just need to talk about pointless riffraff you see online.

anyway.. the article. ten things we are wasting our money on. dave ramsay, aka mister money saving expert, compiled this list. i am so guilty of a lot of them! oooops.

1. credit card interest

luckily i am not wasting money on this one. i have an AMEX and it has to be paid off monthly. we use it like we would our debit card (to get the reward points) and then pay it off each month. we don’t have any other credit cards.

2. deal websites (groupon, living social, etc.)

oh my gosh.. GUILTY! so, so, so guilty. i have so many groupons i haven’t used and likely will never use. but did you know that even after they expire, you can always cash in the amount you paid out of pocket? i learned that a few years ago.

3. appetizers

i am not big on appetizers for the very reason he listed–the entree is always enough! sometimes i will order a couple appetizers instead of an entree, though.

4. ATM fees

i have been caught in the ATM fee trap one too many times at the farmers market or at a concert. it’s only $2 here and there, but it does add up. i just need to get cash out beforehand.

5. overdraft fees

luckily i don’t use my debit card enough for this to happen (see #1 above, which is how we prevent OD fees!) the only things that come out of our checking account are bills, which are a set amount each month.. so no surprises or fees for going overdraft.

6. speedy shipping

i can typically wait for anything and everything i buy online. or i just use my mom’s amazon prime account for free two day shipping. ;)

7. designer baby clothes

yeah.. guilty of this one! baby clothes are so dang cute, i have found, and i have been buying a few pieces that are just over priced and will fit fox for 2.2 seconds. he is already outgrowing a ton of stuff (SAD!) and i need to get more realistic about how much i spend on clothes for him!

8. unused gym memberships

guilty for sure! i have a gold’s membership that i paid for in full up front.. and then i didn’t go to the gym my entire pregnancy. i totally should have put it on hold. my bad. this is definitely how gyms make a ton of their money! people have good intentions.. especially at new year’s..

9. premium cable packages

guilty but i feel like there is no way around this! we want a few channels in the premium package, especially during football season for marshall, but you can’t pick and choose.. so we just get stuck with the bigger bill.

10. daily coffee trips

i make my coffee using my keurig every day, so i don’t fall victim to this one. i do go get coffee with friends here and there, but not daily.

so.. five out of ten for me! something to work on, for sure, especially now that we have an extra human in our family to provide for.

if you are bored.. here are some more links to lurk!

well, i am off to make a batch of lactation cookies. yeah, glamorous life of a breast feeding mama. they have milk-production-boosting ingredients like brewer’s yeast and oatmeal. i have been searching high and low for brewer’s yeast in my area for weeks (you can’t sub nutritional yeast) and i had no luck. BUT, i found it on amazon and it was delivered yesterday.. so now it’s time to bake. my milk production seems fine.. but i need to make a good stash for days i leave fox home with marshall while i am at work. this breast feeding thing is no joke! lots of work, but worth it. i will post about my experience with it sooner or later. and i’ll let you know how the cookies turned out.

and, because i can, here are a few of the latest and greatest photos of my little man!

NewImageNewImageNewImageNewImage

NewImage

have a WONDERFUL weekend!

1. how many of the ten things above have you been wasting money on?

2. what has been your favorite halloween costume in your life?

Maren October 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I just LOVE him. I can’t believe he’s already growing out of clothes. CRAZY! We are wasteful on only one of them actually and that’s #9. We pay like $180 for cable and internet…it’s ridiculous!! You know what I do spend too much money on? Wine. Oh well, don’t care. haha

Lauren October 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I am looking for Halloween costumes for Grayson too! It’s so hard when the little guy isn’t even 6 pounds but I’m hoping we will find something adorable.

Have a great weekend!

direct marketing solutions October 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Anytime you send out automotive direct mail pieces, you’re faced
with the issue that you have to work twice as hard at appearing trustworthy to potential customers as people in other
industries. This is the importance of having a good mailing list.
Great copywriting can almost always make them keep your print ad every time.

Lee October 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I stopped reading a ton of blogs that I used to read because they became all sponsored posts and advice columns. I’m glad yours did not!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 3, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Those those articles! Thanks for the reading!
Fox….SO CUTE!!!! Those eyes!

Erica October 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Going back to work is TOUGH, but its kind of nice to have some more adult like time. Kaylin was really young at Halloween too (3 months), we got her a baby mini costume. The hat was like a winter beanie and it stayed on perfectly. <3 you!!

Tiffani October 3, 2014 at 4:34 pm

He is the CUTEST baby ever!

Jamie October 3, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for about two years after stumbling upon it because I love fitness. You do such a great job keeping it real, and also provide such great information. I sware by fenugreek to boost milk supply. You can by it at any health food, sprouts, whole food type store. You just take in capsule form. It works almost over night and the only side effect was it can make your sweat smell like maple syrup…wierd but true.

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out October 3, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Fox’s little faces are SO cute!!! He’d be an adorable Elvis!!

Jenn @ Mark My Miles October 4, 2014 at 3:29 am

I remember blogs being more fun to read for the above mentioned reasons. Hoping you bring back the randomness like you did today : )

Courtney Leonard October 4, 2014 at 10:33 am

I’m very curious to see how it goes when you go back to work. You’ll do amazing because mothers are just amazing by nature and can do superhuman things. Also, I feel like I should share this because amazon certainly doesn’t advertise it. Amazon prime members can share their shipping benefits with up to 5 family members. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180. Here’s the info.

Janetha October 4, 2014 at 11:44 am

what! this is great information! thank you!

Jen October 4, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Hi there! I found your blog quite some time ago when I was researching BFL. Very quickly I was hooked. I love reading it! For our family of 6, we don’t waste money on any of those things! Hooray! However, we do have a significant problem with wasting money on food. It could be either (1) food purchased with good intentions and gone bad before we used it or (2) making too much food and even though we eat leftovers, there is WAY too much and we all get sick of the leftovers and refuse to eat anymore.

Congrats on the cutest little guy!

Bears Still Suck October 4, 2014 at 6:24 pm

That last picture with Fox’s hand in the air looks like he’s watching the Packers game and cheering them on! He just needed the other hand raised in the air and he would be saying “touchdown”!

Janetha October 5, 2014 at 9:46 am

lol i will try to get one of him doing that, because he does every morning! great game this past week!

Becky @ TheBexFactor October 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Oh wow those six weeks flew by. Good luck on your first day back on Monday!

I honestly feel like my blog will never grow into something big and super popular because I don’t post a ton of sponsored stuff and like zero advice columns. I post my thoughts and adventures, because I’m no expert on life, just know what goes on in my own life. I’m glad that people can relate to it and I’m happy for the opportunity to fit in the odd review or giveaway. I find nothing wrong with the random musings at all :)

Nikki October 5, 2014 at 6:16 am

My son is 2 months older than Fox and I am not sure about Halloween costumes either. I love the onesie Fox is wearing in the car seat. He looks exactly like the two of you, 50/50. My son has blonde hair, blue eyes and both my husband and I have brown hair, brown eyes. Blonde hair and blue eyes do run in our families but it’s funny how genes work sometime to create a human being.

Janetha October 5, 2014 at 9:45 am

awww i bet he is one cute little man!! what’s his name?

Nikki October 5, 2014 at 10:10 am

I sent you a message via your Facebook page

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm

WOW! That did certainly fly by fast. Can’t believe he’s already 6 weeks! What a cutie. Glad you can bring him with you to work :)

Annette@FitnessPerks October 7, 2014 at 10:04 am

Oh he is so cute!! I can’t believe you’re back at work already–that totally flewwww by for sure.

I haven’t fallen into many of these traps actually, mostly because we’re on a super tighttttt budget. But I do have to be careful not to spend too much $$ on her because she’s in the close for such a short amount of time!

Purelytwins October 9, 2014 at 7:46 am

We have never been into Halloween haha but one year we were devil and angle and that was fun. Another year we were the double mint twins. :)

Yay for lactation cookies too! xoxo Cannot believe you are already going back to work, wow times flies!! Wished we lived closer so the little ones can play together. Fox is too cute!!

lindsey October 10, 2014 at 10:25 pm

ah I love this post! Actually, I’ve been loving all of your clueless new mommy posts :D I’m a first time mom (of an 18 month old little lady) and think you’re going to transition SO well as a mom who blogs about things aside from your kid. If it were me trying to blog about NOT my child, I don’t think i could :P