monday meals & the birthday babe!

by Janetha on August 18, 2014

in dogs,meals

hi! how was your monday? i am hoping this is the last monday i had to work before having this baby.. i know, i know, i am still 10 days from my due date.. but i am totally OK with him coming riiiight now.

i was feeling camera happy today, so i snapped photos of all my meals and decided to share them with the class.

mondays are always earlier than any other day of the week because of many meetings.. i have four over the course of two hours. fun! i was equipped on my way into the office with coffee + coconut milk creamer and fruit & veggie juice (marshall makes it for me every morning.)

NewImage

after my many-a-meeting, i ate some food. i had a couple of hard boiled eggs and also tried the new chobani with steel cut oats.

NewImage

i definitely liked the texture of the steel cut oats in the yogurt. not sure if it really upped the nutritional content of the yogurt much.. and still quite a bit of sugar. it was good, but not great. i will buy it again if it is on sale.

lunchtime came around and i had the same thing i had all week last week. can’t get enough of this meal…

NewImage

a sandwich with turkey, avocado, lettuce, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper along with some celery and sunflower seed butter and cool ranch doritos.. aka one of my biggest pregnancy foods. love them. i ate a whole bag last week so i had to get another one yesterday.

NewImage

i got home to the best surprise! marshall got home before me and the solar system mobile had arrived. he hung it in the nursery.. i am in love!

NewImage

he also made me an after-work-snack of salsa, cheese, and sour cream alongside tortilla chips.

NewImage

after my snack i took a nap.. i have been doing that a lot lately. growing a human is hard work, especially in the last couple weeks i have noticed. when i got up, marshall had started on dinner and i went to the kitchen to lend a hand.

there were spectators.

NewImage

we made one of our favorites: french onion chicken with gruyere.  it’s kind of a wintery meal, but we had both been craving it so we put it on the menu.

NewImage

we used chicken tenders instead of thighs this time.. and i always use heather’s method for quicker caramelized onions!

after dinner we decided to take a walk to the park for penny’s birthday!

NewImage

we ran into our friends cand and janey and chatted for approximately 6 minutes before heading back home because we were getting eaten ALIVE! they didn’t nickname that park mosquito park for nothing! eep.

now we are home, lounging on the couch and watching family feud. i think i need some ice cream.

like i said, penny’s birthday was today! this big girl is SIX!

NewImage

i can hardly believe it. she had a party at daycare. here are some super cute shots!

NewImageNewImage

looks like randy enjoyed the birthday party even more than his sister!

ok.. that’s a wrap. hope your monday was delicious and exciting.. or at least somewhat bearable! holy crap.. i am down to the SINGLE DIGITS until my due date. i hope he decides to come soon!  have a great week!

1. what was the last new-to-you product you tried, and did you like it?

2. do you celebrate your pet(s)’ birthdays?

Jennifer @ Little Blue Sneakers August 18, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Wow. I need to try that new Chobani with oatmeal!

Hm. Last new product…I guess it would have to be those iced frappuccino mixes from Seattle’s Best that you make at home. They’re OK for a treat every once in a while, I guess.

No pets so I can’t comment there, but when we did have them we didn’t celebrate! I guess we were bad pet parents.

momma b. August 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm

There are SO many things I love about this post, not in any particular order:

* The mobile, crib, all of the nursery – it looks so cozy and inviting!
* Marshall is a total keeper, but you already know that
* Penny is such a cute birthday pup and the cake looks yummy :-)
* Seriously – two posts in two days….I see labor and delivery on the horizon!!

I love you and love that you are journaling your life – your kids will thank you in years to come…….I’m such a loser…. haha!!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out August 19, 2014 at 4:33 am

Quicker caramelized onions?! This will change my life.

Kim F August 19, 2014 at 5:06 am

I can’t believe the time is almost here!! The mobile is freakin awesome. You are hands down going to have the coolest kid! I tried the Chobani with oats a few weeks ago and love it. I’m with you though, it doesn’t add as much nutrition as it could to the yogurt but I would buy them again if they are on sale. I always make a big deal about my pups birthdays…maybe because I don’t have kids. They get a present and a homemade cake and then a day full of fun.

Lauren August 19, 2014 at 5:06 am

Awww, happy birthday Penny! I love that they threw her a party at doggie daycare. :)

Hang in there babe. I’ve been thinking about you all of the time. He’ll be here in no time!

Abby August 19, 2014 at 5:37 am

GAH! I love the Penny pictures so much!!! And yes, of course we celebrate pet birthdays. My mom will still put up a birthday banner and we go get doggie sundaes or something else fun for him on his big day. We haven’t convinced him to wear a birthday hat yet, so maybe Penny could give him a pep talk…
And hang in there, mama! The big deal is so, so close :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 19, 2014 at 6:01 am

Aww, I love the birthday pictures! Especially the last one of Penny with her tongue sticking out – that’s adorable. My dog is about a year and a half, but of course I celebrated his first birthday!

lindsay August 19, 2014 at 6:08 am

i would have made my layover in SLC longer had i known penny had a bday. <3

Erica August 19, 2014 at 6:27 am

oh man…I totally remember that “get this baby out” feeling. Hoping for you that he comes close to your due date :) I haven’t had dorritos in forever. They’re addictive! Love that you celebrate your fur babies birthdays, you know we do the same. The cake is so cute. <3 <3

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 19, 2014 at 7:19 am

Come on baby!!!!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life August 19, 2014 at 9:19 am

I totally agree with you on that new Chobani. I liked the texture, but still am not a fan of the massive amount of sugar. Eh, I could take it or leave it. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PENNY!

Nicole August 19, 2014 at 11:39 am

The last “new to me” product that I tried was Quest Nutrition’s protein potato chips. I tried the “Sea Salt” flavor. Not. Good. :(

Prior to that, I tried Chobani’s coconut flavored yogurt. Now THAT is a winner!

betty August 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm

eeeek how cute are those two enjoying the cake. I CANT BELIEVE YOURE ABOUT TO HAVE A BABY! and you know i celebrate our pets around these parts.

natasha August 19, 2014 at 5:22 pm

So good to read your blog regularly again though I know once the boy arrives it might (will!!) get crazy.

My newest product if this counts was the TJ’s pre-grilled frozen asparagus….awesome by the way (:

I have always had rescued pets so never know their b-days but Penny and I have a shared birthday week…mine is this Wed. the 20th…wish I went to doggy day camp for my party too!

Becky @ TheBexFactor August 19, 2014 at 7:20 pm

When I saw the title of this I thought MAYBE birthday babe meant your little man came….

…I will continue to patiently wait for a birth announcement.

Janetha August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am

lol i WISH!!!

Jenn @ Mark My Miles August 20, 2014 at 2:57 am

So excited for you being in your final days to meeting the little one!

We celebrate our dog’s birthday each year. SO grateful to have him as part of our family.

Theo August 20, 2014 at 6:18 am

They keep you centered and make it easier to grip
snow in turns. Well, you probably wouldn’t have much fun sulking either.
I didn’t push any bad emotions down into the dungeon.

ML Bishop August 20, 2014 at 7:31 am

omg janetha- that last spam message is cracking me up. I’m going to start saying “I didn’t push any bad emotions down into the dungeon” in casual conversation now!!! :)

LOVING that mobile!

The last “new to me” product was the summer chobani flavor, grapefruit. I definitely liked it.

Janetha August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am

lmao i think i have to leave it now that you said that!! ok i havent found either of the new flavors–grapefruit or watermelon–and i really want to try!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 20, 2014 at 9:39 am

That mobile is ahhhhmazing!!!! love! <3

Kristen August 20, 2014 at 11:27 am

The last new-to-me product I tried were AMRAP bars. I’ve tried 2 of the new flavors, 1 I loved and 1 I hated.

Janetha August 20, 2014 at 11:34 am

ohhh i want to try.. which one did you love?

Kristen August 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm

The honey almond is awesome!

Shannon August 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I am dying over Penny’s hat and outfit. Love! I totally celebrate my dogs birthdays even though it’s only an approximate date because they are both rescues! Good luck with the last few days of your pregnancy! :)