hey, hi, hello.

by Janetha on August 7, 2014

in oh baby,random rambles

oh, hey! dropped off the blogging planet for about two weeks, but here i am! i miss you guys, so i thought i would pop in and just tell you what’s going on in my life.

as it turns out, there is a whole lot of stuff to get done before i have this baby. i am only three short weeks from my due date (yikes!) which means i am technically “full term”.. which also means i am basically a human jack-in-the-box and he could really come any time now. (double yikes!) i had my 37-week apt today and nothing is really happening. my doc has started checking my cervix, so that’s… fun…. ha. (sarcasm.) actually i was measuring a little small the past couple of appointments, so i will be getting an ultrasound next week. you typically don’t get any ultrasounds past the 20 week mark (unless there is a specific reason for them) but my doc would like to check the baby’s weight to make sure everything is ok. she’s not worried, his heartbeat sounds great and he has been moving CONSTANTLY (i love it!).. but it’s always best to check to be safe. so, we will get to see him once more next friday before we meet him in the flesh!

NewImage

it’s times like these where i really realize this blogging thing is just a fun thing on the side for me, and i am so, so grateful it is not my job or an obligation. i can’t imagine feeling pressure to churn out mediocre blog posts whilst trying to get ALL THE THINGS done that i need to get done. because, let me tell you, it’s a lot. i mean, i expected there to be a lot of things to do, but now that it’s crunch time.. i’m like, “holy shit.”

the hardest part of prepping for this baby has actually been getting ready to leave my day job for six weeks. (boo.. only six weeks.. in canada they get a year! and they don’t have outrageous medical bills just to have a baby! but, then again, i am not allowed in canada.) i don’t talk about my day job often, but it is very, very involved. there is a laundry list of tasks in my job description and each one of those tasks has, like, 8 steps. i feel bad for the ladies who have to handle my crap while i am gone. throwing quickbooks at someone who has never used the program in their life is a pretty harsh move.. sorry amanda! i love you for it! i have been working hard at typing a “maternity manual”, as i call it, to help coach them through the month and a half i am missing from the office. i have never been gone for more than a week, and even when i miss a week, i am typically doing work stuff while on vacation.. so this is really rattling everyone’s cage.

work stuff aside, i have also been finishing everything up at home to get ready for our little dude.

the nursery gets closer and closer to being done every day. i like to work on it because it’s one fun part of being 8.5 months pregnant, ha. who knows if it will be done by the time he gets here.. but since he’ll be a newborn, i really don’t think he will care if the curtains are hung or if the book shelves are installed.

here are a few of the pieces i have coming/have recently purchased for the nursery..

NewImage

i am not very savvy when it comes to decorating, so hopefully all my mishmashed selections work well together and it looks good when all is said and done. i will be sure to show you guys the finished product once it’s done! hoping to finish that up this weekend.

aaaand i got a diaper bag. i wasn’t going to and was just going to use a bag i had laying around, but then this one caught my eye so i ordered it.

NewImagespeaking of bags.. i should probably pack my hospital bag. yeah. it’s getting real close.

we have also been working on making a big stash of freezer meals…… for randy.

NewImage

yeah, most couples who are about to have a baby make freezer meals for themselves. not us. we make freezer meals for our dog. we have been making randy’s food each week ever since he was diagnosed with liver disease. it’s quite the process, so we decided to get a few weeks of food in the freezer so when the baby comes, we will have some reserves and can take a few sundays off from making the food. we do it each sunday and it takes about two hours, so the freezer stash will definitely help us out! unfortunately we can only fit three weeks of food in the freezer, or we would do more. he gets a blood test next week and we will find out if this whole rigamarole is helping him get better. fingers crossed!

in other news, we have officially become addicted to house of cards on netflix.

NewImage

i definitely don’t have a ton of extra time, but i have somehow convinced myself that staying up until midnight to watch episodes of the series is a good idea. then when morning comes i curse my decision.. but, of course, the cycle repeats itself every night. sigh. you can bet i will be up again until midnight tonight. i can’t help myself!

on the meals front, marshall has been making dinner almost every night. he has really stepped up to the plate during my pregnancy and he helps out so much. i am super grateful for that, since some days i just have no gas left in the tank once i get home from the office.

some of our staples have been BLTs, burgers, steak, tacos, and pizza. of course i have zero photos of our meals.. didn’t i used to be a food blogger? one thing i do have a photo of is the glorious CORN.

NewImage

we have been eating corn from the local produce stand at least three times a week. I LOVE CORN SEASON! almost as much as i love peach season. seriously.. corn on the cob is like candy for me. so good.

we’ve also been eating lots of watermelon.. it’s so good right now.

NewImage

poor randy just wants us to share the watermelon.. because a gourmet human food diet isn’t enough for the poor soul.

NewImage

i have been craving nachos a lot lately, so we headed to porcupine pub & grill the other night and had some. the only thing missing was a beer to go with them.. but that will come soon enough!

NewImage

annnnd i’ve been making lots of banana splits at home. yum.

NewImage

on the moves front, well, there still aren’t any. as you may know, i quit working out in january and never looked back. some people think i am dumb for opting not to exercise throughout my pregnancy. i know there is a lot of pressure for gals to have a #fitpregnancy and all that jazz, but i am just not really concerned about it. i have a lot going on and working out is really not a priority for me. call me dumb if you want, but i really think i will be A-OK when i hop back on the workout wagon post-pregnancy. life goes on. it’s only nine months out of my life.

well.. that’s really all i have to report. we have our company lagoon day tomorrow (it’s a local amusement park) so that will be nice and uneventful for me.. haha.. walking around in the sun and not going on any rides. but at least i won’t be at the office, right? other than that, i will be spending the weekend finishing odds and ends around the house and hopefully catching up on that sleep i’ve missed out on thanks to my house of cards addiction ;) marshall has a bachelor party all day and night on saturday, so i am sure there will be plenty of time to kick back and relax.

i will surely not be back on the blog until next week at the earliest, let’s be honest, so have a wonderful rest of your week and a fun weekend!

1. what TV show are you into at the moment?

2. what food can you not get enough of right now?

Casey August 7, 2014 at 9:26 pm

1. Just finished Orange is the New Black, started X-files today and am watching Fringe with my husband. (currently Fringe wins as my favorite) but all are really good.

2. can’t get enough of treats… snicker bars, carrot cake, cookies, m & m’s

Advice on the hospital bag… don’t pack much- I packed wayyyy too much in mine- don’t look at those lists on pinterest.

P.s. They don’t tell you how wonderful the first shower you take after delivery is GLORIOUS!

megistentialism August 8, 2014 at 8:59 am

Fringe is the best! :)

Rachel August 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I always get excited to see a new post from you, but at the same time, I want to applaud you for being realistic about pregnancy and being dead tired at the end of the day! I miss reading your more regular posts, but I also appreciate knowing that you’re taking time for yourself, the baby, Marshall, and the dogs!! hang in there mama :)

Carly August 7, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I love your blog, as always, because you are SO real! I too didn’t exercise during my pregnancy – it was twins, I was exhausted, and really my #1 (and 2) priority was growing 2 humans. They needed all the juice they could get and me burning off any calories wouldn’t have helped THEM. They just turned 13 months and I’m FINALLY getting back into exercise – seriously, don’t feel the rush at first… exercise will always be there when you are ready! I’m tired of these bloggers who jump into exercise 4 weeks post partum when their bodies are still healing. Personally, I think it is a sign of an exercise addiction, but whatever! You do you and be there for your sweet boy :)

Kim August 7, 2014 at 11:33 pm

I agree with Carly’s comment above! I’m half way through my first pregnancy and sometimes I see other bloggers with their #fitpregnancy this and #fitmom that, and to be honest it’s frustrating! I have no idea how they do it, and it annoys me even more when their responses are things like “if it’s important to you, you make time”. I’m exhausted all.the.time and feeling guilty for not doing more. So thank you for keeping it real, and reminding us that pregnancy is a small 9 month window of our lives — and it’s not the end of the world if we take a break from it all!

Franziska August 8, 2014 at 12:03 am

I’m always so excited to read your updates because you’re just a few days behind me – I’m 38 weeks pregnant on Sunday! Just wanted to take the time to wish you all the best when it comes to labour and delivery and everything that follows and a healthy baby of course! :)

You can only take 6 weeks off work?? That’s super crazy!!! I’m living in Canada but I’m from Germany and I’ve been complaining when comparing both lol.. now I see I could have it worse.

Cravings: Ice cream and cake! Also watermelon and cucumbers but they must be very cold!

Janetha August 8, 2014 at 9:56 am

what do you get in germany? yeah.. 6 weeks is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. luckily my job will let me take him to work until he is 6 months, which is pretty unheard of, so i am lucky in that regard. best of luck with you on your last couple weeks!! xoxo

Susie August 8, 2014 at 12:11 am

Okayokay….realtalk. Will the baby be blond like the Bensons or take on Marshall’s dark hair? These are the important things.

Janetha August 8, 2014 at 9:55 am

i know! we are SO curious! all my nieces and nephews look like bensons, but we don’t have any offspring in marshall’s family to look at to compare.. so his dominant traits may shine through. it’s a mystery! i can’t wait to find out. i hope he has hair identical to marshall’s, because it’s basically the best. or, who knows, he might look like penny.

Pua August 8, 2014 at 12:25 am

We’ve been getting our home ready for baby, too! There is so much to do… it seems like this whole summer has flown by. My cravings have been popcorn. LOTS of popcorn! BTW, for someone who isn’t working out, you sure look great!

April August 8, 2014 at 12:42 am

The bf and I have been watching House lately. Great show but definitely makes you a bit of a hypochondriac. So glad you got into House of Cards–it’s a messed up show but definitely addictive.

Watermelon ALL THE TIME. I just started Whole30 plan and this is one of the foods that is helping with my sweet cravings along with fresh raw almond butter on bananas. Pre-Whole30, string cheese with pretzels as my easy snack.

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

Lauren August 8, 2014 at 5:07 am

My guy is measuring pretty small too so I’ve had a few ultrasounds as well. I keep hearing small (but healthy) is GOOD so don’t be alarmed when they say that. I was at first, but then I found out that a “small” baby is now 6-7 pounds and the normal anymore is 8-10 pounds. That’s crazy! When I was born, I was 7 pounds that just fine so I’m pretty sure that just goes to show the path we are on to supersize just about everything anymore. Even human beings. :)

You look amazing mama! So excited for you!!!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out August 8, 2014 at 5:17 am

I love love love HofC! My bf and I watched all but the finale of Season 2…we’re saving it for a while!

Linz @ Itz Linz August 8, 2014 at 5:27 am

he’ll be here so soon! i can’t get enough of overnight oats lately – breakfast, snack, whatever!

Kim F August 8, 2014 at 5:41 am

You look beautiful! You will be ready for baby and be a fantastic mom and we will still be here looking forward to your updates when they come in :) I have been thinking about Randy dog and hope his appointment goes well. This is how I know you will be a good human mom bc you make a super dog mom. Have a relaxing few weeks!

Emily August 8, 2014 at 6:33 am

You’re looking well! I really enjoy how realistic you keep your blog. We’re watching Orphan Black which I like more than he does, but it’s at least something a little bit different.

mindy @ just a one girl revolution. August 8, 2014 at 6:42 am

My current TV obsession is Scandal – and I’m having the same ‘stay up too late watching it, hate my life in the morning’ cycle.

jen August 8, 2014 at 6:48 am

Aw, janeetha! you look great. as long as the two of you are healthy, who cares about #fitmamabeastpregnancyxfit. society is pretty f’ed up if they prioritize skinny pregnant women over appropriate maternity and paternity leave, benefits, healthcare, postpartum depression prevention…. … … sad.

My little 2yo kitty was diagnosed with a urinary disease and is having a rough health year. He had to have his penis removed so his urethra won’t get clogged with crystals! but after this round of antibiotics and a special diet, he should be good. fingers crossed for all the fur babies!

lindsay cotter August 8, 2014 at 7:45 am

Maybe randy will share his meals with baby boy?! Hehe it’s go time mama!!

Madeline August 8, 2014 at 8:29 am

I’m 34 weeks and I have no idea where the time has gone! We still have a lot of the same things to do- finish the nursery, buy a couple more odds and ends, pack our hospital bag, and figure out if I need anything else for breastfeeding. I can’t read too many blogs/articles because so many women have been pretty much ready to go since week 13…

Purelytwins August 8, 2014 at 8:32 am

Gary loved that show, I did not watch it yet, nervous that I will get hooked too haha
It’s crazy how the just standing in the nursery for me is fun, like you said – the fun part of being pregnant. My belly is growing everyday it feels like and still have a few weeks left, yikes. so much to do over here. so excited for you!!!! can’t wait to see your little boy ;) and love the nursery purchases, I am in the market for a cute lamp (dang those things are expensive!!) and a night light!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 8, 2014 at 8:37 am

gah! i miss you!!!

megistentialism August 8, 2014 at 9:06 am

Home stretch! How exciting! :)

1. I am spending the summer catching up on shows… mostly Scandal.
2. I have been randomly addicted to Taco Time. Worst thing to be addicted to, but so good at the same time.

This is random, but one of my favorite things that I brought with me to my delivery was a Glade plug-in. It was so nice to have in the recovery area since it was different from the normal hospital smell and was a relaxing, familiar scent. The nurses also enjoyed it and would comment about how amazing it smelled. Also, we gave the nurses a basket of snacks (granola bars and fruit). They LOVED it and were SO nice to us during our entire stay :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 8, 2014 at 10:41 am

Eeeeek! So close! :)

I’m with you on your love for corn on the cob! Can’t get enough! And those nachos — WOW! Now I want some.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 8, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hi!
Now I’m craving a banana split. I’d never even thought of making them at home! I’ve been having my nightly bowl of cookies and cream, but I think that might just have to change.

Almost there!! You can do it – so exciting (and I’m sure scary haha) :)

Bridget August 8, 2014 at 11:34 am

Where is that dresser with the different color drawers for the nursery from?!! I love it!

Janetha August 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

west elm, it’s called the patchwork dresser :)

the delicate place (@Misathemeb) August 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

i love orphan black! i also love that your belly looks like a torpedo right now haha, i bet you cannot wait until this baby is out! my feedly list has shrunk enormously bc 1. i do not have the time to read all.the.blogs and 2. the medicore post thing…it’s just well, i don’t care that you went shopping or tried a new coffee or froyo. because. life.

Valerie @ Bubbles and Gold August 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I love all of your baby decor! So cute!! There is a lot of stuff to do before the baby, but really, you don’t have to worry about doing it ALL. As long as you have your baby essentials, you are good to go. Your little nugget will likely be in your room with you anyways.

I can’t get enough of froyo right now. Maybe because it’s summer? I’m lying. I like froyo year around.

Jessica @ Absurd, She Wrote August 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm

First – I appreciate the heck out of your posts and general approach to pregnancy. I’m in my third trimester now and sometimes feel so down on myself for not being able to do much more than long walks for fitness. Yours is a great reminder that it will always be there later, and growing a human is pretty tough work.

Second – re-watching Parks and Rec. My favorite show.

Erica August 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Thats really funny- at the end of my pregnancy, I wanted nachos too hehe. LOVE everything for the nursery. It will look fabulous. 6 weeks isn’t a ton of time, but to be honest…you’re ready for more adult contact by that point. Well, I was :). Show: Suits! Food: definitely watermelon, I never want it to go away!

melissa August 8, 2014 at 1:25 pm

hope decorating goes well over the weekend! I think it’ll look super cute.

good luck getting everything tied up at work. take a deep breath and don’t let the stress work you up :-)

emily (a nutritionist eats) August 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Love your laid-back attitude :)

Victoria August 8, 2014 at 4:38 pm

It constantly boggles my mind that Americans only get 6 weeks off. HOW? That doesn’t seem fair! A year seems barely enough for the moms up here in Canada that I know.

Anyways, you are so close and that is so exciting! I hope everything goes smoothly for the next while! xo

Jaime August 8, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Dude, I hear you on the ‘glad blogging isn’t my job’ thing. It’s nice to just pop on and type something up whenever! I have been neglecting mine for months at a time!

Netflix is a black hole of delicious television. We were already obsessed with Dexter, Breaking Bad, Downtown Abbey, Mad Men, Walking Dead…basically anything on HBO, Showtime or AMC…but Netflix got us down with Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Bates Motel, The Killing, and about a billion other things.

I’m dying waiting for a new season of Homeland. and Newsroom. The best.

We have an awesome corn season going on here too. We eat corn steady for about 6 weeks while it’s producing right here in our farmland!

BC cherries are pretty amazing too.

Lisa August 8, 2014 at 7:53 pm

i thought there was some kind of law or regulation that companies had to give 12 ??
6 weeks is not enough time, that makes me sad
i had my daughter last year and my job pays for 12 weeks.. it was still a really hard adjustment for me going back
babies change all priorities in life..it’s the best thing ever! you’re going to love it!

Lisa August 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm

i googled..FMLA says you get 12 weeks..assuming your company has more than 50 employees.

Janetha August 8, 2014 at 9:38 pm

the joys of working for a small, local company ;) sigh… but, on the up side, they are allowing me to bring him to work with me until he is 6 months! so that’s nice. but, still, 6 weeks sucks really bad and it’s freaking me out.

Lisa August 8, 2014 at 9:58 pm

no freaking out..you get to have him with you for 6 months and thats better than going back without him at any amount of weeks!
that IS THE JOY of working at a small company that you get to do that :) lucky girl!

Carly August 9, 2014 at 8:54 am

That’s great that you get to bring him with you until 6 months! My twins were in NICU for a very long time and I had to go back to work 3 weeks after the second baby came home. It was hard, but similar to you, the daycare my boys were at was right in building that I was in. Actually, I was a teacher and my classroom was NEXT TO their daycare room :) It made the transition a LOT easier because I could see them as many times as I needed to throughout the day.

Trisha August 10, 2014 at 9:22 am

You’re getting so close and it’s so great to read a little update from you! To think that baby boy will be here so soon is crazy, right?! The weather has been so nice that I’ve sort of fallen off the tv watching train, but today I have nothing on the agenda and the weather is a little gloomy SO I’m diving right back into Scandal and expect to be here all day. I’m all about cold quinoa/pasta salads these days and plan to whip one up whilst watching the White House drama. ;)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 10, 2014 at 11:53 am

With all of the weird foods I’ve been eating lately, I swear people would think I was pregnant. (I’m not). It’s possible my lunch just consisted of a smoothie, dark chocolate dipped in cashew butter, and carrots dipped in tahini. It was amazing. I almost might go back for more chocolate. ;)

Kristin August 10, 2014 at 1:46 pm

i think it’s great that you aren’t working out while pregnant. for people who do, that’s fine too, but you are growing a human and that’s a lot of work! it’s good that you are listening to your body and doing what you feel capable of doing! you need and deserve the rest. the gym will always be there when you’re ready. thank you for just sticking to your guns and doing what is right for you!

betty August 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm

umm we’re moving to slc and b’s coming to work with you, so she can bring him to work til 6 mos! eeeek! so close! i love everything you’re buying!! i want to see the nursery altogether!

hoping good things for randy dog. <3 <3 <3

we've been watching mad men, and like it. and i've been obsessed with salads this summer.. but i have to have a ton of cheese, which defeats the purpose of health part of the salad.

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie August 11, 2014 at 8:30 am

you look great! my favorite food right now is watermelon too. Andrew and I can eat a whole one by ourselves :)

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 11, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I said the same thing to my husband the other day, SOOO happy this blog thing is only a hobby for me, because my baby is 4 months old and I’m just now at a point where I can even think about blog writing and/or reading again.

So very excited for you, the end is near!!!!

Emily August 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I get your posts sent to my inbox and I’m always happy when I see a new post from you! I don’t always click thru to your website itself, so I just wanted to stop by today and say I really enjoy what you have to say and don’t feel bad about taking as long as you want between posts! In other news, I love House of Cards and I thought season 2 was even better than 1. Also Orange is the New Black, Top of the Lake, The Strain, and always, always Game of Thrones.

Cookie August 12, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I am into way too much tv shows… I recently watched ALL THE EPISODES of Due South. I forgot how much I loved that show. Might well be my all time favourite.

Calee August 14, 2014 at 9:43 am

I love that y’all are making freezer meals for Randy. That’s commitment!

The pieces you picked for the nursery for sure go together. You get the designer stamp of approval. Love the woodland / natural theme. That will grow with the little guy and you won’t have to redo the whole thing when he’s a teen (hopefully).

Currently I’m sucked into Grey’s Anatomy: a show that I never, ever thought I would watch. My friend told me that Noel from Felicity is in season 7, so I started watching it … yeah.

Janetha August 14, 2014 at 10:08 am

well.. i am kinda bummed because we will be moving within a year haha. but i guess we can replicate it at the new house! i have never watched grey’s but it sure is all the rage.