midweek check in.

by Janetha on July 16, 2014

in dogs,eating out,family time,oh baby,random rambles

hi! happy wednesday!

how is your week going so far? mine has been pretty good, no complaints over here. well, aside from the fact that utah has been a balmy 100 degrees on the daily.. but luckily i spend the majority of my time indoors—either at my desk at the office or inside my house.  i should probably get out more.. but it’s ridiculously miserable to be outside for more than four minutes.

thought i would tell you a bit about my life lately!

i had my 33 week check up and all is well with the little squirmy dude inside of me. tomorrow i’ll be 34 weeks pregnant (which is about 8 months for you non-pregnant-speaking folks) and then next week i switch to weekly doctor appointments! eep! things are really getting down to the wire!

i had an amazing baby shower on saturday, thrown by a life-long family friend. all the ladies from my church group growing up (mormons call it a “ward”) came and spoiled this little baby. i am a failure and only took photos of the food. go figure. but it was so nice to catch up with so many familiar faces!

veggies on a poppy plate since we call him poppy :)

we started making randy’s homemade dog food on sunday. we had to wait for all the supplements and vitamins to get here (i ordered from three sites online to get the best deal on each one.) definitely a labor of love, folks. the food consists of lean ground beef, white rice, cottage cheese, mixed vegetables, oil, salt, and then the very precise vitamin and supplement panel. we will make a big batch every sunday—a week’s worth of food.

so far that hound dog is LOVING his new diet (obviously.. i mean.. why wouldn’t he?!) and so far penny has no idea that she’s not getting the royal treatment when it comes to feeding time. phew.

i had a date with my mom and sisters (minus the one in cali) on monday. we got pedicures (i will spare you a photo of my feet—gross) and then tried a new-to-us restaurant, spitz! ummm.. ALL utah locals MUST try this place! it was incredible! i got a chicken street car doner wrap. yum, yum, yum.

my sweet niece, nora, turned one and we went to her birthday party. it was lemonade themed! super cute. hard to believe that little lady is already one. it was just yesterday that we were praying for her to come home from the NICU. so glad she is healthy and happy and basically the cutest one year old around.

speaking of kiddos.. marshall and i got a little parenting practice last night. we headed up to my brother’s and watched greyson (well, and nora, but she was asleep) for a couple hours. it was fun to play with him, read him stories, and put him to bed. i think we will be pretty good parents.. at least i hope so! as long as our little man is anything like grey, it shouldn’t be too terribly tough ;) fingers crossed!

on the nursery front, things are really coming together! the crib is still on back order and should be here in a few weeks, but we have checked almost everything else off the list. we need random things like a sound machine (i am saving up for this one!), a laundry basket, drapes, and other odds and ends.. but nothing too pressing. we have had fun getting various prints to hang on the walls, but everything still needs to be framed (turns out they are all weird sizes!) here are some of the prints we picked:

I'll Eat You Up Digital Print Where the Wild by DaleighDesignsThe Solar System Art PrintX-Files Twin Peaks Mashup Art PrintAge of the Giants  Art PrintThe Whale  Art Print

we have also been busting out some of the baby gear to see how it works. marshall tried out the ergo carrier with a teddy bear. he’s a pro.

annnd finally, it’s our 4th wedding anniversary tomorrow! awwww.

crazy that it’s been four years already. in a way, it seems like our wedding wasn’t that long ago, but then i look back at all the things we have been through and four years sounds about right. i will say this—marriage is not a walk in the park! it has ups and downs and twists and turns and it definitely takes work. but i am so glad marshall and i have stuck together (we have been together for 7 years now, married for 4) through thick and thin. two years ago things were basically falling apart and the world was ending.. but with some communication and effort, we have turned our marriage into something much more solid, concrete, and strong. we have learned to lift each other up and help each other out in the areas where one of us may struggle. i am actually glad we have been through some crappy times early on in our marriage, because it makes me confident that we can get through anything life throws at us in the future. and i know that the counseling we went through and the communication skills we learned will be crucial in being great parents! ok.. sappy moment over, ha.

we don’t have a ton planned for our anny. we will probably go grab some dinner tomorrow and then on saturday we are going to see joe rogan (yay!) usually we go on a vacation for our anniversary (first year was tahoe, second was costa rica, third was boston & maine) but this year i am having a baby instead.. which means all time off will go towards maternity leave. yippee! haha. well worth it! we will pick back up on our trip tradition next year.

well.. that’s all for now! hope you have a fantastic rest of your week. i am sure i will pop in again soon! i have been missing this blogging thing lately, and hope to be more regular about it. :)

Valerie July 16, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Those photos for the nursery are SO you! I can’t wait for this little nugget to be born.

momma b. July 16, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Insert crying by momma b aka nana sue right here………what a sweet post from beginning to end!! I just love you and your darling little family and am SO excited to meet this squirmy little guy!

You both will be GREAT parents – I’m certain of that!

xoxo
mom

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

why am i crying right now?!?! i’m just so overwhelmed for all the great things to come, both baby and many more years of being married to that curly headed guy. love you.

Pua July 16, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Congrats on making four years! I agree… marriage is tough. I give credit to my parents and my in-laws for making it to 36 and 37 years. I hope you both have an amazing day to celebrate!

Erica July 16, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Glad Randy is loving the food!!! Frank has his next liver check next month. Your belly <3. Adore the prints. Happy anniversary!!!

Heather || Heather's Dish July 16, 2014 at 7:36 pm

COULD YOU BE ANY MORE ADORABLE?! I can’t get over your sweet bump…you’re about to topple over momma!

Traci July 16, 2014 at 7:57 pm

How fun is a lemonade themed party? I might have to steal that idea…

Julie July 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Aw look how cute you two are then and now!

All that lemonade looks refreshing!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm

So glad to hear things are going well on all fronts! I totally agree – you and Marshall are going to make amazing parents. :) Happy Anniversary! And I’m totally stealing your niece’s birthday theme for future reference. Such a cute idea. I’m SO happy to see sweet Nora doing so well these days. She’s adorable.

Marie-Sophie July 17, 2014 at 12:15 am

I can’t believe your pregnancy is almost over! Seems like yesterday when I was commenting on your heartburn that you (like me) had so early on! Unbelievable! :-) I am almost 26 weeks right now (time has been flying since week 16, I believe) and it’s just surreal that one minute you feel like crap (thankfully memories of nausea are quickly fading … mother nature is so clever!) and the next minute you feel like you’ve already entered the home stretch!

Me and my husband have been together for almost 9 years (but only got married two months ago) and we DEFINITELY had some very rough times – and just recently I was also thinking how thankful I am for those times now! Because I know that neither of us is going to run away should things get tough!!!

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 10:26 am

i am glad it’s going fast for you! for me, it feels like i have been pregnant for two years lol!

Lisa @ Life as Lisa Knows It July 17, 2014 at 3:40 am

Happy Anniversary! :-)

Linz @ Itz Linz July 17, 2014 at 5:26 am

aww happy anniversary!! and glad you had a nice shower!!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner July 17, 2014 at 6:25 am

Congratulations on four years! My husband and I have been together for seven years and will be spending our four year anniversary this October, too, so I know it’s no mean feat. Good luck in the home stretch with “squirmy,” ha ha!

Tamara July 17, 2014 at 8:10 am

I love everything about this update!! You’re so cute and you two will be awesome parents. I couldn’t agree more, marriage (like everything worthwhile in life) has its ups and downs. I’m so happy for you both… what an exciting adventure you’re on! xo

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl July 17, 2014 at 8:11 am

Happy anniversary to you and Marshall! I want to give you both all the hugs for hunkering down and getting through everything. You guys are awesome. <3 And once things have settled after the baby is here we HAVE to go snowboarding again! xoxo

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

yes yes yes yes a million times YES!

jenna July 17, 2014 at 8:35 am

happy anniversary! and omg the i want to believe print is so awesome!!!

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

yes! twin peaks and x-files are two of our very favorite series.. so when i found that mashup i basically died.

Coree July 21, 2014 at 10:09 am

Can you tell me where you got the I want to Believe poster? We love X-Files! (Might have just named our new puppy Fox haha.)

Janetha July 21, 2014 at 12:22 pm

yay! puppy! we got it from society6.com if you just search “x-files twin peaks” it will come up.. along with a ton of other stuff!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life July 17, 2014 at 9:25 am

That lemonade birthday party is such a cute idea! People get so creative with these things lately! Also, you are like the most adorable pregnant lady ever!

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 10:23 am

haha thank you! yeah, my SIL is the queen of cute parties, i may have to hire her when my baby needs to have a party lol

Lauren July 17, 2014 at 10:09 am

Happy Anniversary! I’m so happy you guys stuck it out too because now you have a beautiful little baby to account for. See, everything does happen for a reason. :) Love you girl!

betty July 17, 2014 at 10:11 am

lovelovelove everything about this. how does penny not know shes getting the good stuff!? haha so so happy for you two and your little one thats almost here!!! eek!

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

well i think it is because she is still getting that dehydrated raw food, which is a production to make, and she watches us make it, so she probably think she’s getting the better end of the bargain still lol. randy is overwhelmed with deliciousness, though, and i bet he is secretly snickering that she’s getting the other stuff. asshole ;)

Jenn @ Mark My Miles July 17, 2014 at 11:34 am

Love that you are open about the ups and downs of your marriage. You may have them but you guys also have COMMITMENT and LOVE. Awesome!

emily (a nutritionist eats) July 17, 2014 at 2:51 pm

It is hard to believe that you are already 8 months preg! (It’s gone really fast…for me!) :) You look great, what an adorable bump.

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

haha thank you!! it’s gone reallllly slow for me ;)

Carolynne July 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Wow, that little dude sure is growing!! Pretty soon he’ll be the one in that Ergo carrier instead of a teddy. So I am due in November with our first baby and we really have no idea what to buy first. You mentioned you had some kind of list that you were crossing things off of. May I ask if this is a public list somewhere? I really don’t know what things are essential and what isn’t. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Janetha July 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I have it written down and it was compiled by talking to my sisters and friends.. I will do a post about it soon for you!!

Carolynne July 17, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Thank you!!! That would be so so helpful for us future Moms and Dads who are reading your blog :)

Purelytwins July 17, 2014 at 6:04 pm

yay for the nursery coming along!! the one main thing that I have enjoyed that process of pregnancy – creating the nursery, the other stuff I could do without haha
I have another check up this coming Monday, I will be at 30 weeks Saturday. crazy!!
and can’t believe you are getting so close :)
so happy for you guys! xoxo

Katie July 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm

You’re such a good lookin’ pregnant lady :) I hope you two had a great anniversary. I must add thanks for adding the ups & downs of marriage & that’s is not all “roses” it’s nice to know bloggers don’t have perfect relationships like some make it seem hehe

Livi July 17, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Your niece is so adorable!

Jessiker July 18, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Lovely post! So happy you and Marshall found each other. I can’t wait for “poppy”!!!!! Eeep, weekly appointments!!!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 21, 2014 at 11:00 am

that’s quite the bump! it’s beautiful!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 21, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Ergo with a teddy bear! haha! Love it.

Happy anniversary!

Toronto Girl West July 22, 2014 at 1:56 am

You’re absolutely right about marriage being work but it totally is worth it!!!

I think that’s always something I appreciate about you – you definitely keep it real! :)

BTW, the whole teddy bear ergo thing killed me! Funny husband!!!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily July 22, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ergo! Emma is 3 months old and it’s how I take her pretty much everywhere.