goodbye, thirty.

by Janetha on May 31, 2014

in dogs,unfortunately

hey, guys! it’s saturday afternoon and also happens to be the very last day of me being 30. it’s definitely the most mellow birthday weekend i’ve had in the history of birthday weekends, but being pregnant will do that to ya.

actually, the weekend got off to a really rocky, unexpected start and i think i should share it with you guys so you can send your good vibes and/or prayers. i am cuddled up on the couch with my favorite long dog right now, because he is not doing too swell…

NewImage

back story: about a month ago, we took pen & rand in for a dental cleaning. they do blood work before putting them under, and randy’s liver levels were high.. so they didn’t want to put him under. they gave him an antioxidant to help the levels and said to come back in a month. yesterday when marshall took him back, the blood work showed the levels had doubled and his liver was worse than ever. yikes. :( this required an ultrasound of the liver.. so marsh took him to the doggy hospital to have that done.

the ultrasound came back and showed 100% abnormality in his liver. one hundred percent. this is when i began to really freak out.. as you know, i love my dogs more than most humans. they suggested we take a laparoscopic biopsy of his liver, so i headed up to the hospital to give him some loves before he went in for the procedure.

we picked him up last night after about six hours of waiting (which sucked real bad) and he was quite groggy and whined the whole way home.

NewImage

the doc said that his liver is in rough shape, but they won’t know WHAT it is until they get the biopsy and culture results back, which will be early next week. it could be so many things, including autoimmune hepatitis or cirrhosis of the liver. they said cancer is at the bottom of the list, so that is encouraging. they also said that whatever it is, it’s still in the early stages since he wasn’t showing any symptoms and it was caught from the blood work. (moral of the story? get regular blood work for your pets!) i am trying not to freak out (or google too many things) until we know more info about what’s wrong.

the poor guy was up quite of the bit of the night crying, and has been crying a lot today. i think he is in a great deal of pain from the incisions and biopsy. he is probably also super confused, i wish we could explain to him what is going on. they shaved his wrists for IVs and shaved his belly as well. he still looks pretty dang adorable, if you ask me.

NewImage

so.. yeah.. the weekend has gotten off to a sad start. i just want our guy to be OK, but we really can’t do much until we know more. i did get him some honest kitchen dog food (which is easier on his insides) and an herbal liver cleanse at the natural pet store today. something that sucks is we have been feeding our dogs blue buffalo grain free holistic dog food, thinking it was best for them, and of course we have found articles about the food linked to liver problems. ugh… it is so hard to know what’s best with so much conflicting information out there. hopefully that food had nothing to do with this issue (penny is fine) and it’s just coincidental.. but we are switching their food anyway. liver problems are prominent among older male canines.. and with randy turning 9 this summer, that could be the reason for all this.

blah…. it sucks. at least he’s got his BFF to cuddle with him, and we don’t plan to go anywhere tonight so we can give him some extra love.

NewImage

in other news.. i have celebrated my birthday week through food. i started the work week off with a glazed twist donut…

NewImage

…and ended the work week with a chicken philly & fries from joni’s deli.

NewImage

i also treated myself to a cut & color on thursday. my hairdresser, whitney at garden day spa, is the best! went a little lighter for summer.

NewImage

tomorrow is my actual birthday and i plan to go to brunch and hopefully hit up the pool. food and relaxation–perfect for a pregnant birthday! speaking of pregnancy.. things are all good with the little man. i will be 28 weeks on thursday, which means i have my gestational diabetes test. i already feel like i am pretty pregnant, so it’s hard to wrap my head around 3 more months. since i have no torso, my belly just keeps going out, out, out!

NewImage

actually, today a lady said i was about to pop. when i told her i had 3 months left, she said i am in for a long, miserable summer. ha, thanks, lady!

i am enjoying things right now. i don’t have too many negative symptoms (just heartburn and exhaustion.) he is kicking a whole bunch and it is fun to tap on my belly and have him kick back. he is definitely a wiggle worm and responds quite a bit to marshall’s voice, which is adorable. i can actually see him kicking and punching my belly this very minute. kinda weird, but super cool.

oh! blend retreat is less than a week away! i am really excited to see everyone up in park city on friday. actually, my planning partners, lindsay and lauren, get here on wednesday so the fun will start then and won’t end until sunday. i am really looking forward to it! we still have spots so if you are a utah local (or want to buy a plane ticket on a whim!) then you should definitely come. it’s going to be super exciting.. we rented out the canyons gondola specifically for the event. i am stoked to get up there and enjoy the mountains.

well.. i can’t really think of anything else to ramble about. thanks for reading and letting me get my worries off my chest. i’m going to go cuddle up with the hound dog and enjoy my night in with my little fam. please keep rand man in your thoughts!!

i hope you are all having a great weekend! check ya sooner or later. :)

Emily @ Fit as a Mother... May 31, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Poor pup. :(

Happy Birthday! :)

Carbzilla May 31, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I know you guys must be worried sick. Here’s a blessing that everything works out, and he has many happy years ahead. Love and Happy Birthday!

Lauren May 31, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Oh no! Praying for Randy! I’m so sorry love.
Despite all of that, I hope you have an amazing birthday mama!

Erica May 31, 2014 at 6:08 pm

GIRL! SO crazy- maybe you’ve seen on instagram that I’ve been at the vet with Frank a lot…his liver numbers are also high. They came down a bit, but are still abnormally high. We have more blood work coming soon. Obviously my thoughts and prayers are SO with you. Hoping for an easy fix for both of us. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heart you and your cute bump. Ignore people like that lady- they’re crazy town <3 <3

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine May 31, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Aw, I hope Randy gets better soon! Sending love he will be a-ok!
Happy early birthday! And I love your Maxi Dress! XOXO

Kim F May 31, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Oh Goodness, poor Randy. Thank goodness he has such loving parents. He will be in my thoughts as well as my pups Kane and Harley’s too. Keep us updated and give him an extra treat tonight. Hopefully tomorrow he feels better and you can have a great birthday! Happy 31st!

Lucas May 31, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Agree with you! Epic point-of view

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 31, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Love your hair! I am in desperate need of a summer touchup!

tracey May 31, 2014 at 9:10 pm

sending love to Randy! xoxo

Sarah K May 31, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I hope you guys can figure out what is wrong with Randy and that he gets better soon! Have a Happy Birthday!

Cheri Z May 31, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Happy birthday tomorrow Janetha. We are sending prayers that you receive good news on Randy and that he recovers quickly. So glad you caught this early. That can make a huge difference. God bless!

Sara May 31, 2014 at 10:29 pm

From one basset lover to another: kiss and cuddle that boy from us in pa! Now I’m scared. Is it common in bassets? Male dogs in general? Guinness will be7 next month and going for a vet appt. anything special I need to tell them to look for? Hugs and loves and all the best to sweet man randy

Sara May 31, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Oh! And I’m an ass….. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! #crazydoglafyproblems

Random: how many years ago did you have us send in bday pics? I always thought that was so rad

Bonnie May 31, 2014 at 10:58 pm

HAPPY (early) BIRTHDAY! Wish I could just show up at Blend and give you a big birthday hug! You look beautiful (love the hair – makes me want to get my roots touched up too) and you’re doing awesome through the ups and downs of pregnancy and poor Randy’s health and house hunting… Lots of love to you 5 (your cute pups definitely count, hi to Marshall and the growing little guy!).

Joy June 1, 2014 at 3:25 am

Hugs and love and lots of prayers to Randy!
And a very happy birthday to you

lindsay June 1, 2014 at 6:03 am

oh poor lil randy!! praying for him. Hug him for me!! and sending you lots of love on your bday. — TODAY! you’ll get a bday hug from me in a week!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 1, 2014 at 6:05 am

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that Randy’s ok – it sucks so much when a pet isn’t feeling well.

I hope you have a fabulous birthday!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 1, 2014 at 6:39 am

i’m SO sorry about Randy. That has to be so so stressful and scary. Maizey and I are sending all the good vibes to him and you. Love ya lots.

Linz @ Itz Linz June 1, 2014 at 7:41 am

happy birthday! i hope randy feels better soon – itz never any fun whatsoever when your pup is ill! zoey sends healing thoughts randy’s way :) :)

Caroline June 1, 2014 at 7:50 am

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great time celebrating! I hope you figure things out quickly for your dog- pets really do become family.

Trisha June 1, 2014 at 8:52 am

Oh no! I hope Randy feels better soon! There’s no time I wish fur family could speak more than when they’re not feeling well. I know it’s probably tough to feel too happy right now, but I hope you’re at least partially able to enjoy your day. Happy happy wishes of all sorts to ya! :)

Debbie (accidently delish) June 1, 2014 at 11:01 am

my heart really goes out to you with randy! I am a veterinary technician and know the importance of regular blood work and i personally had a similar situation with my dog as I took her for a dental as well, did blood work and liver values were high. she is older as well, so we put her on liver supplements and it seems to be helping her. i think it’s great you are going through all the necessary steps to make sure he is ok, because i know all the procedures and money can be daunting to some people and they put it off, but that’s only hurting the animal when you do that. i hope you caught whatever it is in time and my prayers are with you and the pup!

in other news have a great birthday! i just turned 30 this year, but feel my 30s will be the best years! happy birthday!

Livi June 1, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Happy Birthday!!

Purelytwins June 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

praying for Randy!!! xoxo
happy early Birthday sweetie! sounds like a great birthday weekend ;)

I hear ya, I am short so my belly is going to get bigger and bigger, summer is going to be interesting haha

xoxo
wish Michelle and I could go to Blend!!

Becky @ TheBexFactor June 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Best wishes to the Randy Dog! Hope it’s not too serious.

I remember my birthday when I was pregnant. I was already 4 days overdue and it was not much fun. Haha.

Becky @ TheBexFactor June 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Oh, and Happy Birthday! You look gorgeous!

Lisa @ Life as Lisa Knows It June 1, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Happy Birthday! You look so great!

Thinking of Randy! I know exactly how you must feel. I love my Shih Tzu more than most people as well, and he is totally a son to my husband and I. XOXO

Cookie June 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Poor Randy! Hope everything turns out well. Also, happy birthday!

Georgia @ Trying Something New June 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Happy birthday! My thoughts are with Randy, I love my pets more than humans, so I know exactly where your fear and anxiety is coming from. But it’s so lucky that you caught it early, hopefully everything will be fine :)

Maria June 1, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Sending happy thoughts and prayers to Randy. There is nothing more heartbreaking than seeing your animal in pain and scared.

Will be missing my Blend friends next week and hoping you all have a wonderful time!

Emily June 1, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Oh no, that’s not the best start to a birthday. I’m hoping for the best!

Marie June 1, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Haha, you are NOT about to pop! Walk around with me for a couple hours, I’ll make you feel tiny!

Sorry to hear about the pup. Hope it turns out to be something easily treatable. :(

Tamara June 1, 2014 at 7:59 pm

So sorry to hear that Randy is under the weather. Sending good wishes!!

Happy birthday!!! xoxo

Toronto Girl West June 1, 2014 at 11:46 pm

My heart breaks for your Randy. You can bet that I will be sending plenty of healthy doggy prayers his way! <3

Kandi June 2, 2014 at 8:06 am

Keeping you and your pup in my prayers. Happy birthday.

Chatelaine June 2, 2014 at 9:18 am

Awww poor puppy!! I hope all of you are doing ok. One thing I’ve always read when it comes to liver fixes is using Milk Thistle. If you want to spend anytime googling things to help livers, google milk thistle!
Thinking about you guys :)

Cassy June 2, 2014 at 11:13 am

happy birthday!!!!

just wanted to give you a little peace of mind.. my dog just went through the same thing! he was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and given a high dosage of a steroid and slowly lowered the dosage while being check (blood work) and finally he is not on any more and is back to being his normal happy doggy self. it is sooo scary but now that its all done and over with, it’s not so bad. I hope Randy’s recovery is just as easy!
i also make the dog’s food now.. ground meat, roasted sweet potatoe with coconut oil, carrots and corn.. kind of a pain in the ass to do, but worth it! its been a game changer.

lots of good vibes to your long dog.

Cassy June 3, 2014 at 9:35 am

edit: i also make the dog’s food now.. ground meat, roasted sweet potato with coconut oil, carrots and peas

no more corn. no grains!

Julie June 2, 2014 at 11:58 am

I cannot wait for Blend! Super excited!

Megan June 2, 2014 at 1:51 pm

So sorry to hear about Randy! I don’t want to contribute to your fear, but do you guys feed him jerky treats? Or have you? There are a few class action lawsuits against pet food and treat manufacturers for using toxic ingredients that have harmed and killed dogs (liver and kidney failure). The last report by the FDA said that over 1,000 dogs have died due to the contaminated treats, and those are just deaths they are aware of (if the vet didn’t report it to the FDA, then the FDA has no knowledge of it). So, if you were feeding them jerky treats, stop immediately! So scary! I think my sweet pug will only get carrots as treats from now on!

Heather @ FitMamaRealFood June 3, 2014 at 6:47 am

Your bangs are THE BEST! Happy belated birthday :)

calee @ life + running June 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Sorry to hear about Randy. And now I’m officially freaked out because I feed the Barnstormer grain-free food. I don’t do regular bloodwork with him because it freaks him out too much, and I quit taking him in for dental cleaning when he turned 7 last year because the vet said that it’s probably not a great idea to put him under at this age. Gonna take the dude in to get a checkup ASAP. :(

PS I am totally wearing that dress today! ha.

Christine June 5, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I hope Randy is doing better! Poor guy!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse June 9, 2014 at 7:26 am

I just started reading your blog and I hope that your pup Randy is okay :( Sending prayers! Your hair looks so cute, and your lunch made my mouth water ha. I just had my first baby girl 4 months ago, and I already miss being pregnant ha. You look so good!

Janetha June 10, 2014 at 1:37 pm

awww thank you, rachel! xoxo