monday meals.

by Janetha on May 19, 2014

in dogs,meals

hi! thanks for all the get well wishes. my doc actually prescribed me an antibiotic (augmentin) so i am on the up and up! i feel a lot better already and hopefully will be 100% shortly. i need to be–there is wayyy too much to get done and being sick is not conducive to my to-do list.

i actually had a super productive weekend! marshall and i worked hard on clearing out my office and moving the furniture to prep it for the nursery. now the room is finally cleared out, all my stuff is in bins in the garage, and we can convert the room to a space for our little dude. we initially weren’t going to do much to the room since we plan to move soon, but marshall fell in love (as did i) with these painted birch trees…

NewImagesource

luckily i have a super artistic tattoo artist friend, nick, and he is going to help marshall tackle the project of painting some trees on one of the nursery walls. i can’t wait to see how it turns out!

i thought i would kick it old school today and document all my meals. i am going to give you a peek into the daily eats of pregnant janetha.. which admittedly really isn’t that great and vegetables are MIA.. but it is what it is and i am unapologetic.

actually, scratch that, my day today DID start with SOME vegetables. marshall has gotten back into the habit of making juice with the vitamix and it’s basically the only greens i consume these days.

NewImage

today’s blend had kale, spinach, ginger, hemp seeds, mixed berries, cucumbers, a little OJ and some water to get it all moving. it was delicious! and it helped tide me over through my five monday morning meetings. so did some kona coffee with so delicious coconut milk creamer (french vanilla, my favorite.)

NewImage

i finally was able to whip up some breakfast around 10 AM. i have been loving these new-to-me protein-packed kodiak cakes.

NewImage

i have been a fan of kodiak cakes for years (they are a utah local brand!) so when i spotted this protein mix at costco, i knew i had to try. you simply mix the powdered mix with water and voila, pancake batter. easiest protein pancakes ever. topped them with syrup.

NewImage

i worked for a few hours and drank a lot of water. i am really good at getting nearly a gallon of water in each day–that is one healthy habit i have been able to keep. i snapped a belly shot mid-water-bottle-fill-up to share with you guys. i hit the 6 month mark this week! eep! i honestly can’t imagine getting even bigger.. but it’s inevitable.  um.. yay?

NewImage

1 o’clock struck, so it was time for lunch. my appetite isn’t big right now for some reason–i think the little man is taking up a bunch of space and squishing my insides to the brim and making me not hungry. and also making me have heartburn from hell.. i was up until 12:45 AM sitting upright waiting for it to go away so i could go to bed. oh, the joys.. anyway, lunch rolled around and i had a random spread of this and that.

NewImage

a hard boiled egg, 1/4 an avocado smashed on sprouted wheat toast, a little cholula, chicken topped with mustard, and a babybel cheese round. random, but all things that i love. ESPECIALLY avocado toast. i eat at least five avocados a week these days. love them. always have, but so much more so during pregnancy. i finished lunch with a couple sweet treats.

NewImage

when i got home at 4, i zeroed in on the brownies i baked last night.

NewImage

betty crocker boxed fudge brownies really are the best, aren’t they? before i knew it i had eaten three and washed them down with some whole milk. that is one thing that’s rad about being pregnant. for some reason dairy doesn’t bug my insides anymore. SO happy about that. SO taking advantage of it by eating all the cheese and all the ice cream. i hope that after i have my baby i can still eat dairy and be OK.

anyway, from 4:07 to about 6:48 i laid on my bed and did absolutely nothing. it was a busy weekend, a late night, and a rough monday. i needed a little downtime. i played some scrabble on my phone, took a few videos of my baby punching and kicking the crap out of me (i love it!), and researched the pros and cons of strollers. LIVING THE WILD LIFE HERE, FOLKS.

i finally rolled out of bed and folded all my laundry. the upside to none of my real clothes fitting me is that i have way less to fold and hang up, meaning i can actually get the task done once in a blue moon!

NewImage

but that doesn’t stop me from lusting after new summer clothes like these lulu shorts.. sigh.. next summer, next summer.

NewImage

while folding, someone with long ears and a tail was patiently trying to tell me it was time for dinner…

NewImage

can’t say no to those eyes..

NewImage

marshall got him some dinner (penny, too!) and i fixed some dinner for the humans. i was initially supposed to go out to dinner with my mom and sisters, but our plans changed so i resorted to the freezer for dinner. i had some spinach and cheese ravioli from costco, frozen alexia garlic bread, and trader joe’s marinara. it wasn’t pretty, but it got the job done.

NewImage

i flipping love that alexia garlic bread. if you haven’t tried it, you have to. it’s in the freezer section of the natural foods aisle of most grocery stores.. it’s also at whole foods.

after dinner we decided to brush the dogs because they are shedding like CRAZY right now.

NewImage

this furminator brush is seriously the best for getting all the dog hair out of the dog! i think it was a little spendy, but well worth it. this was from a single stroke of the hound.

NewImage

usually randy is the one who sheds the most, but i think penny is going through something because when marshall started brushing her, we couldn’t believe our eyeballs.

so..

much..

FUR!

NewImage

haha.. dang. the sad thing is there will still be loads of fur all over the house in 2.2 seconds. marshall is awesome and vacuums daily–it’s a full time job to keep up with those two fur monsters.

now we are sitting around watching HGTV. like i said, living the wild life! can’t wait to wake up tomorrow and do it all again! oh, and you probably noticed i didn’t have any “moves” to share along with my meals. i didn’t work out. i don’t. i should.. but i don’t. and i don’t feel bad about it, either. maybe i should feel bad.. but not a single bit of me does. i am wired differently than most, i guess, and using pregnancy as a reason to NOT work out is completely okay with me. so if you are pregnant and feel bad about not working out–or even not working out as hard as you once did–stop that right now. it’s fine. you can work out later. taking a load off isn’t gonna kill you!

ok. time to take a zantac and cuddle with the fam. have a great week!

1. on average, how many veggies do you eat each day?

2. what’s your favorite freezer aisle find?

Judy Barking May 19, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Try some raw almonds for the heartburn. Works at least sometimes!

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:01 am

thanks for the tip, judy! xo

Linz @ Itz Linz May 19, 2014 at 11:02 pm

love! i did not eat a lot of veggies during pregnancy and am trying to get better about it now with at least one salad a day! eat what you want now :) and also during breastfeeding (if you choose to) because you’ll be a hungry beast!

emily (a nutritionist eats) May 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Such a cute bump Janetha!

Julie May 19, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Oh I am now on the lookout for that pancake mix!

Kathleen May 20, 2014 at 4:17 am

Try papaya enzymes for the heartburn. It worked for me. They help things digest faster. My favorite is the Whole Foods brand. The label reads “Chewable Papaya Complex.”

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

thanks!

Erica May 20, 2014 at 4:39 am

Love the planned design for the kiddos room! Super cute! Speaking of cute- how cute is pregnant Janetha? Gah! Love! I need to find those kodiak cakes, I hear such good things.

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

you really do! i will send you some! lol. i wish you were coming to blend, they are a sponsor. plus i just wish you were coming.

Colleen May 20, 2014 at 5:01 am

I’m expecting a baby as well, and I could seriously eat eggs, avocado toast, and grapefruit for every meal of the day!

Lauren May 20, 2014 at 5:19 am

Girl, you are looking fantastic! And I am digging avocado toast lately! I usually eat a piece at least once a day. Glad you are feeling better!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 20, 2014 at 5:27 am

Despite the whole not pregnant thing, your lunch looks pretty perfect to me – I’ve recently jumped on the avocado toast thing and I am obsessed with it right now.

Livi May 20, 2014 at 5:41 am

I love your honesty! it’s ok for people who can workout their whole pregnancy but it’s ok if you can’t either! It’s good to hear your side :)!

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:59 am

oh.. i should have clarified. it’s not that i CAN’T. i totally can and am not too sick too (aside from my sinus infection.) i just don’t want to.. so i don’t. the only reason i worked out before pregnant is because i knew it was good for me haha. but now i have a super good excuse to slack and i am soaking it up.

Livi May 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

That ‘s totally awesome too!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 20, 2014 at 5:51 am

I need to try that brush for my dog! I brush her all the time and never seem to be able to get all the fur out and she sheds EVERYWHERE!

Abby May 20, 2014 at 6:23 am

I’m actually a veggie freak, but usually the same damn ones all the time (not that big on fruit, other than avocados which I eat like they’re going to become extinct soon.) As for frozen finds, I’m loving the Qrunch quinoa burgers lately, which is weird because I’m not a huge fan of quinoa. However, the burgers are great with like, five ingredients (and super easy for lazy cook…ahem, me.)

By the way, you are adorable pregnant. The end. :)

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

<3 you

Emily @ Fit as a Mother... May 20, 2014 at 6:35 am

Looking good mama! :) Ever since doing the 21 Day Fix, I average about 3 servings of veggies per day. Sometimes I eat all 3 servings with dinner…but that’s ok. It’s most important that I eat them, not when I eat them, right?! Pretty sure when I was pregnant though the only veggies I ate were the ones on top of my pizza! New favorite freezer aisle find for me are the Whole Foods 365 brand Meatless Burgers. They are yummy and pretty healthy for a packaged food (which I mostly try to avoid).

Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy May 20, 2014 at 6:35 am

You sure are one adorable pregnant lady!

I eat veggies for lunch and dinner usually, big salad for lunch, and 1 veggie side dish for dinner. But not for breakfast! I love my pancakes too :)

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

i just love you and your lazy pregnant self. like SO much.
and avocados …i ate one a day with Porter..must be a pregnancy thing (or maybe a pregnant with boy thing)

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

jessica is obsessed too and she is having a lil lady!

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food May 20, 2014 at 7:33 am

That happened to me too when I got pregnant with Hunter, dairy was someone easy to tolerate. Thankfully it had stuck years later! Yum to the avocado toast. Looking adorable Janetha.

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:57 am

oh i hope it sticks!!!

Ozlem May 20, 2014 at 7:45 am

Love Marshall’s socks! I eat at least 3-4 veggies /day. Definitely carrots and other snackie veggies like grape tomatoes, broccoli, sugar snap peas cucumbers. Yummersdipped in hummus.
Freezer aisle find?? So delicious almond milk ice cream in mocha almond fusge!! Try it then you will be mad at me for intriducing it to you. Although it is a good thing it comes in small containers :) Happy day! Looking good!

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

yes! we love huf worldwide in our house :) and omg so delicious has the BEST frozen stuff! i always eat the bars but now i have to try you the mocha almond fudge ice cream!

Kim F May 20, 2014 at 7:50 am

First, I love the idea of trees on the wall…in fact I want that on my wall! You are stellar at the water thing that is the one thing I stink the most at, I can usually sneak some greens into almost every meal though. Is that gym equipment in your office? And lastly I need the Furminator. I have a German Shepard Husky girl and man does she shed. We try to brush her often but it’s never enough and I am not so good at that vacuuming daily thing. Its gross, really but I love her to death.

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:55 am

they are so worth all the fur lol

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:45 am

Oh, yeah, and that is a Smith machine in the office lol it never gets used.

tracey May 20, 2014 at 8:13 am

so weird- I ate dairy my entire pregnancy and I was ok. Before & now after I am back to being lactose intolerant! boo! :-/ It was fun while it lasted. Love the bitch tree painted wall idea! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 8:44 am

darn it! i hope that doesn’t happen with me!

tracey May 20, 2014 at 9:25 am

omg I just noticed instead of BIRCH TREE…it say’s bitch. lol Im sorry…I also just posted a pic to instagram trying to say SHUT, but it got changed….. lol

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:43 am

lmao your phone wants you to cuss!

Jenn @ Mark My Miles May 20, 2014 at 8:36 am

You are looking too cute!
I need that brush for my dog. I vacuum daily and the little bugger still sheds.

Betty May 20, 2014 at 8:52 am

Y’all need the roomba! I feel your pain with the dust bunnies.. The roomba turns on at 3pm everyday, on it’s own, and vacuums for us everyday. We still need to get a few spots once a week where is can’t really get to, but it’s def made a diff.

We shedded scout about 3 weeks ago and he already needed it again. I love the furminator tho!! Him and ace, with his lab hair, are the worst shedders, but mostly scout.

I love that your owning not working out, and I don’t blame you. YOURE GROWING A HUMAN . And the nursery looks like it’s gonna be super cute! Love you!!

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:44 am

we have one! but what marshall mostly vacuums daily is the couches lol.. white hair all over them.

Allison May 20, 2014 at 9:35 am

Do you have a gym in your office? Is that where you are when you are filling up your water bottle? Looks nice. on a related note, I am glad to read that you don’t feel bad about not exercising. When you are pregnant you have to do what feels right for you….making people is hard work in and of itself.

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:43 am

Agreed! I mean, I am totally capable of working out, I just don’t want to lol. Yep that is a gym in our office.. it’s just a Smith machine and some free weights and I think it’s been used a total of 5 times ever–haha–nobody uses it! There’s a big bathroom, the exercise equipment, and the drinking fountain all right there.

Suzanne May 20, 2014 at 9:38 am

Random question before I post this one KSL, but since you have multiple dogs I thought I would see if you want this first. I’m selling my 2 dog leash that also has a 3rd attachment you can add to make a complete dog pack of 3. I’m selling it because 1 dog is pushing the max on the weight (over 30 lbs) and pulls a lot and worry it will break on a walk (totally hasn’t happened). I just ordered a larger size. See the leash here under the 2/3 Leash and I had a comfort handle put on it:

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks for thinking of me! No thank you, though.. Penny LOVES Marshall to walk her and Randy likes to be walked by me, so I am not sure they would love that haha.

Suzanne May 20, 2014 at 9:45 am

That’s awesome! Our dogs love their little wolf pack. It’s pretty funny. Thanks for letting me know!

calee @ life + running May 20, 2014 at 9:56 am

Average veggies … ha, this is pretty bad (thanks allergies -slash- laziness): probably 1-2 servings a day? Pre-allergies I usually ate veggies with every meal. Now I avoid most like the plague so I don’t get sick, and I don’t like most of the ones I’m NOT allergic to. Chocolate comes from a bean, right? :)

PS Love the nursery idea. I have that one pinned somewhere. The one that I envision has little pops of color (the birds) like a fabric that I used for some wallets this one time (here it is in case this is inspiring you too — except I don’t love the colors they used in this, but your tattoo artist friend would probably be good at picking/matching colors): https://www.flickr.com/photos/thechimes/6405962211/in/set-72157619732263674

PPS Thought about buying the furminator because I feel like I sweep up a small dog every week. Barnold is getting groomed tomorrow though. We did decide to pick up a thunder shirt to see if it’ll help the little dude cope with being a total anxious mess.

PPPS Also, when you’re a shorty, there’s no where for the baby to go but out. My mom is your height and I remember when she was pregnant with my sister (26 years ago) and getting super pissed that I couldn’t sit on her lap after 4-5 months.

PPPPS Clearly I haven’t chatted with you / at you for ages because I just remembered that you need to check out this book: I’d rather be short. It’s by a gal a couple years younger than me that went through the same design program as me. Totally adorable and appropriate.

That is all. :)

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 10:22 am

gosh, i love you.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 20, 2014 at 11:42 am

You are so stinkin’ adorable! Can’t believe you’re already 6 months in. Aren’t those new Kodiak Cake Power Cakes awesome?! I’m loving them. I need to check out Costco for them … hoping they have them at ours.

the delicate place (@misathemeb) May 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

hey that is a cute nursery idea but why not make it easy on yourself with the decals: http://www.whatisblik.com/ i love this company! i prob eat 8 servings of veggies a day. when you have to eliminate wheat from your diet, you end up bulking it up with meat and veggies so i definitely am not in a shortage.

you are really starting to ‘pop’ now! i still cannot believe there is a tiny human growing in there?! life is so weird sometimes.

Janetha May 20, 2014 at 12:41 pm

it’s even weirder when he moves around! it’s like an alien! i looked into decals but i am poor and a bucket of white paint is a lot cheaper than those decals lol

lindsay May 20, 2014 at 8:03 pm

oh my gosh you popped! why the heck didn’t you snap chat that to me!?

Janetha May 21, 2014 at 9:16 am

lol i think i popped like 2 months ago!

RunEatRepeat May 20, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I love you. That’s all :)

Katie May 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Your little bellllly. I wish I could hug you so badly. (and I love the trees for the nursery!!! Can’t wait to see how they turn out.)

Carla May 21, 2014 at 4:53 am

so glad youre feeling better!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige May 21, 2014 at 8:40 am

I can see why you both fell in love with those trees – so cool! I’ll bet it turns out great :)
Also, you, my friend, are adorable.

Annette@FitnessPerks May 21, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Those trees are sweet!!

And you’re looking so awesome. Way to hit 6 months–he will be here before you know it!

That’s neat that dairy doesn’t bother you when you’re pregnant–I’ve never heard of that, but how cool is that? #allthecheese is how I roll :)

Christine May 23, 2014 at 9:45 am

We recently adopted a 2 year old basset hound. Between her and our chocolate lab, we have dog hair everywhere! So I bought a fuminator and we couldn’t believe how much hair came out of those two!

Purelytwins May 25, 2014 at 10:37 am

look at your girl!!! love it. I have been struggling with getting veggies in too. Hey there is plenty of time eat those later…brownies are more fun :)

Yesterday Gary and I were out running errands and I had 3 people comment on my belly!!!!! haha it was weird

Heather May 29, 2014 at 10:15 am

Haha – I’m *not* pregnant, but your lunch looks delicious. It’s exactly the kind of random assortment I’d throw together. I love boiled eggs and hot sauce.

I try to get in five servings of fresh things a day. I usually succeed – and sometimes get in way more – but most of it ends up being fruits.

These tips might help: http://watchfit.com/diet/what-is-meant-by-5-a-day/

Glad you are feeling better!