heyyyy you guyyys.

by Janetha on March 9, 2014

in meals,moves,oh baby

HI! i have really felt like blogging lately.. i have started a post three or four times, only to not have time to finish it. i have all these drafts and now they are irrelevant.. so instead of writing a post on a certain topic.. i’m just gonna ramble tonight. because i just wanna type words and stuff. and i haven’t had a chance to lately! boooooo to busy-ness. but YAY to feeling better.

my pregnancy nausea has almost completely vanished now that i am in the second trimester. i am jumping for joy (in my mind, because if i jumped for joy in the flesh, i might pee my pants) because i know many women suffer from nausea throughout their entire pregnancy. glad i have felt some relief. now it’s just heartburn and exhaustion with an occasional bout of nausea. i can handle that. side note.. i used to always say “i am nauseous.” but that’s not correct.. it’s “i am nauseated.” if you are nauseous, it means you cause nausea.. so the right thing to say is you are nauseated. I KNOW THIS IS NOT BRAND NEW INFORMATION TO MOST OF YOU. but it’s a fun fact i learned at the ripe age of thirty. no shame in my learning game. (plus the few people i did chat with about it had no idea, either!)

sooo.. anyway. here’s my belly these days. it’s actually bigger today, this was mid-week last week. i have had to buy some maternity clothes already, which was unexpected. i am 15 weeks and didn’t think i’d be growing at such a rapid rate, haha.

NewImage

things have been pretty hectic lately–hence the silence on the blog. like i said, i have wanted to post.. but life has gotten in the way! ya see.. we still don’t have a replacement for kerryne’s admin assistant position. i finally did hire someone (YAY!!) but she doesn’t start for a couple of weeks. so between my own job, doing half of that job, and only functioning at about 40% due to that growing a human thing.. i have little to no energy when i get home.

NewImage

BUT, when i DO have energy, i have been going to the gym. it’s real weird. i stopped going to the gym a few months ago and now that i have been back a handful of times, my body hates me.

i did 30 body weight squats and couldn’t walk the next day. that’s pretty ridiculous. i did a few GPP workouts (scaled back a little on the Rx weights since i hadn’t picked up a weight in months) and my entire body was sore for a solid week. i did a few rounds of kettlebell swings last week and my hamstrings are still in recovery. it’s like i am a brand new worker-outer and i need to remind myself of that. my brain thinks i can just hope back to it, but my body is like WTF, janetha, you need to ease into it! so i will. luckily the pregnancy issue hasn’t really gotten in the way of the workouts yet. i definitely get tired quicker and am not doing things like box jumps or back extensions.. but i can do most other exercises still.  i want to try to go to the gym three times a week–that’s my goal. side note, i dunno how all you pregnant folk work out 6 days (sometimes 7 days) a week. crazy ladies. i guess i am lazy at heart, though, so i welcome the excuse not to work out with open arms. that said, i know it’s important to stay active.. hence my three days a week goal. ha.

that’s all i really have to say about moves. sorry for those of you who read for workout inspiration.. this blog will definitely be lacking that for the next five or six months, haha. but i am REAL good at eating food lately, so there will be no lacking in the meals department!

i went to the most lovely brunch today!  my friend amanda has an amazing deck and the sun was shining. it was potluck-style. i made smitten kitchen’s raspberry crumb breakfast bars. i was nervous that they wouldn’t set up at first, but they turned out perfect!

NewImage

i used frozen raspberries since they cost ten million dollars right now. worked like a charm! i also omitted the cinnamon and baked them for 10 extra minutes, but other than that i followed the recipe.

NewImage

the brunch spread was marvelous! there was biscuits & gravy, egg & potato casserole, pao de queijo (brazilian cheese puffs), apples & peanut butter, and the raspberry bars.

NewImage

i was in LOVE with the sunshine today!!

NewImage

there was also a great drink spread including hazelnut coffee, orange juice, and brazilian limonada (aka limeaid made with sweetened condensed milk and yes it was amazing.) amanda is the cutest with her dishes and tablecloth–it was perfect.

NewImage

later on our friend cassie came with the best, BEST, B-E-S-T trifle of my life. and, of course, i didn’t take a photo. but it was THIS recipe and she made it in one big bowl instead of individual servings. we all inhaled that trifle.. i can’t wait to make it myself.

in other food news, i made a very labor-intensive orange chicken for dinner tonight.

NewImage

i pulled the recipe out of the latest issue of clean eating mag. it said 35 minutes but it took me double that, a solid hour and ten, and i will never make it again for that reason.. haha. it was tasty, though!

NewImage

anyone have a simple, speedy orange chicken recipe?

i am sure it took me longer than usual because my brain is struggling. pregnancy brain IS A THING. i did a throwback thursday of my broken arm the other day.. saying “7 years ago today i broke my arm”–umm.. that was on march 6. i broke my arm on march 7, 2007. the next day my timehop talked all about my broken arm. i was thinking.. i didn’t break my arm on the 8th! why was i posting about it on the 8th? …and then i realized that i thought it was march 7th all day long on thursday. i even tore my day-to-day some e-card calendar off to the 7th prematurely. my poor brain.

it must be rubbing off on marshall, too, because last night we drove to SLC to go grocery shopping at trader joe’s and whole foods (about 15-20 min from home) and as we were walking into the store we realized neither of us had our wallet. whoops! we drove all the way home, then all the way back to the stores. wild saturday night, i tell ya.

other food i have been making and/or eating lately…

the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

NewImage

costa vida salad from saturday.

NewImage

hummus, goat cheese, and olive tapenade stuffed chicken & balsamic couscous pilaf. so good i am making it again this week.

NewImage

mini eggs.. BEST EASTER CANDY EVER.

NewImage

in other news, i hopped on the oil pulling train today.

NewImage

i am all about natural remedies (remember the oil cleansing method?) so when i first read about oil pulling i was intrigued! plus, you can’t whiten your teeth the traditional ways when pregnant (strips, bleach, etc) so when i saw this whitens teeth, i signed right up! the first few minutes were a little gaggy, but once the oil melted it was smooth sailing. i swished for 20 minutes and then spit the oil in the trash. i will continue to do this daily and let you know how it’s working for me! my mom has been doing it a few days and said she already can see a difference in the whiteness of her teeth. here are the other benefits oil pulling claims to provide (taken from this post):

NewImage

okay. time for bed. thanks for reading! i missed rambling my heart out. hopefully things will slow down in life and i can pop in again more often.

OH. before i go.. some people have asked me to address this or that regarding being pregnant. i am happy to compile all your questions and do a Q&A post. if you DO have a question, use my ask me anything form and i will do a post in the near future.

k! have a great week!

1. what natural remedies do you practice? (beauty, household cleaning, anything goes!)

2. what was the last thing you cooked in your kitchen?

Lili March 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm

So glad to hear from u..(: glad UR feeling better .

Momma b March 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I just live to read your ramblings!! You made your oil pulling sound like a walk in the park

lindsay March 10, 2014 at 5:27 am

i agree with momma b! love all your ramblings, minus the part about forgetting the wallet… Doh!

Jenn @ Mark My Miles March 9, 2014 at 9:37 pm

So glad that you are feeling better! All that brunch food looks great. I love brunch.

Anne March 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Glad you are feeling better! If you are looking for a good orange chicken recipe, this one is really good and pretty quick :)

Pua March 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Those raspberry bars look scrumptious! I hear you about the pregnancy workouts… I was a 5 days a week type of girl, but lately I’m lucky if I get a day in. Yesterday I went to the gym and could barely make 2 miles on the treadmill! Now I’m dying! LOL

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm

So glad to hear you are feeling better!! Love reading your posts :)

We are all about natural remedies in our house and alternative medicine. If one of us isn’t feeling well or injured we always look up natural remedies or alternative medicines to use first before we head to the doctor. You’d be surprised how many of them do work!

Lauren March 10, 2014 at 5:10 am

Girl, I totally feel you about the maternity clothes. I’m about to enter my second trimester and nothing fits of mine right now. I had to buy bigger work pants but I’m thinking I’ll need to give into the maternity clothes soon. :/
And yay for feeling better! I was actually going to message you yesterday to see how you were doing.

Thinking about you love!

Linz @ Itz Linz March 10, 2014 at 5:29 am

wait i never heard of oil pulling to whiten teeth!! i’m intrigued!! keep us updated for sure! and i LOVE your belly bump – can’t wait to watch it grow!!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 10, 2014 at 6:33 am

i’m SO glad you feel better – honestly!! I’ve been praying about that.
now the oil pulling….hmmmm…i don’t know if I could hold it in my mouth that long.

sara @ fitcupcaker March 10, 2014 at 7:05 am

you are so cute, and those mini eggs are my weekness these days! I froze a bag from last Easter and finished them off about a month ago and now they are in stores again, I cant get enough!

Megan W. March 10, 2014 at 7:31 am

Glad you are feeling better. I am 14 weeks now and the nausea is pretty much gone, but still tired. I have only been able to get 1 yoga class in a week, otherwise, still too tired! Your bump is so cute!

Tamara March 10, 2014 at 7:55 am

So glad you’re feeling better!! You look adorable.

I just bought some unrefined coconut oil yesterday to try the oil pulling, but I forgot this morning. I need to get that into my a.m. routine somehow. My husband saw it in that same post and tried it last week, which shocked me!

betty March 10, 2014 at 8:14 am

cant wait to hear how you like oil pulling. do you still use the OCM? cant remember if you updated us on how you liked it. I’ve tried it a few times, and I always feel like it actually breaks me out, since I don’t really struggle with acne, just a super oily face.

andddd youre the cutest preg person ever.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 10, 2014 at 8:30 am

Growing a human is hard work! I swear I lost most of my brain capacity with each pregnancy forget about the physical stuff that was nearly impossible. Fun stuff! Brunch looks delicious and fun! Those bars…YUM! I’m really curious about the oil pull. Grossed out a bit, but I’m all in for natural remedies. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it.

Megan @ Fiterature March 10, 2014 at 8:30 am

Your bump is so cute! As for natural remedies, I use essential oils for everything from easing headaches to sleep remedies and lessen bruising and to deep my yoga practice. I also make my own laundry powder and clean only with vinegar and water. I’m definitely trying oil pulling!

Brittany M March 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hey girl- where are those adorable wedges from? Love them!

Janetha March 10, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Hey! I got them off MyHabit.com… in three colors lol. Sadly, it’s a daily deal type of site so there is no link or anything. But the brand is Dolce Vita and I thiiiink it’s called the Julie?

the delicate place (@Misathemeb) March 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

ok…you are so cute! bad news about the oil pulling as far as i am concerned…it’s total snake oil science. no valid claims at all honestly, no scientific studies or evidence to back the purported claims so don’t waste your time :) anyhow, i DO practice dry brushing and there is evidence in lymphatic stimulation there and i have actually seen results there. i am all for natural beauty/remedies but some i just cannot in good scientific conscious support. another one that really grates on me is that stupid ‘spit test’ for candida. that’s just inane. but anyway, off my soap box.

last thing i made was steamed white rice and sauteed swamp spinach and mushrooms with tamarind and curry.

the delicate place (@Misathemeb) March 10, 2014 at 8:57 am

*conscience (i’m still pre-coffee haha)

Janetha March 10, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I am wondering if it’ll whiten my teeth, though. I don’t really care about all the other benefits listed.. but if it does whiten them, then I am all for it! My mom said her teeth are already noticeably whiter.. I am hoping that’s the case w/ me!

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life March 10, 2014 at 9:22 am

I finally tried the oil pulling too! Had been putting it off but seeing it throughout social media this weekend I decided to just do it already! Wasn’t as bad as I thought. Can’t wait for those whiter teeth.

Um, yes- those are the best Easter candy ever too. I limited myself to just the small bag this weekend but I will most definitely be buying the big bag before Easter rolls around!

Erica March 10, 2014 at 9:25 am

Little chickies get bellies faster because there is no where for that baby to go except out ;) You look great! SO many yummy eats. I need to make those cookies asap. I don’t think I could do the oil pulling thing!!

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl March 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

I am lazy with home remedies. All the lazy. :)

My favorite easter candy are the malt eggs. OMG so good. Last thing I made in my kitchen was cinnamon scones. I should really start cooking more…

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews March 10, 2014 at 10:45 am

I love the update and the little bump! I’m about 12 1/2 weeks pregnant right now I am right behind you. I have a pretty good bump going as well and am going to need maternity clothes soon.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 10, 2014 at 11:30 am

I love reading your rambles! :) I’ve missed your posts, but I also totally understand why you’ve been more absent. Wasn’t the sunshine and weather just gorgeous this past weekend?! Ahhh, I loved it so much! You’re looking so cute with your little belly!

Angie @ Pint of Goals March 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

Smitten Kitchen has such delicious desserts! Those bars look awesome, as did everything else at the brunch.
I was a baking machine Saturday morning; I made carrot bran muffins and PaleOMG’s banana coffee cake. Both turned out great!
It’s good to hear you’re feeling better and getting back to the gym. Working out (even though I was just walking by the end) during my pregnancy helped with my energy levels.
Your little bump is adorable :)

Annette@FitnessPerks March 10, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I love all your rambless—so it’s great to see you ‘back’! ;)

And that 300% done quote thingee–LOVE. So true especially today.

Mmmmmm food. I love food–some days I really loved it when I was pregnant, other days, not so much. So I am glad you’re in the stage where you’re loving it! That baby needs to be fed ;)

Kim F March 10, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Glad you are feeling better. And The food looks bomb, all of it. But for real, how do you swish anything in your mouth for 20 MINUTES?!?! that seems absurd. I am thinking to the dentist when they are cleaning my teeth and after 5 minutes my jaw is sore lol.

Livi March 10, 2014 at 7:41 pm

You look awesome! Can’t wait to hear more about the oil pulling!

Purelytwins March 11, 2014 at 7:59 pm

looking good sweetie!!!
yay for oil pulling, we are trying to get back into it as we did it a few months ago and loved it. we usually have a few different ways we brush our teeth from some paleo clay mix, to activated charcoal (great for whitening) and making our own coconut oil baking soda mix. just a few natural things we do ;)
xoxo

Janetha March 13, 2014 at 12:13 pm

i have heard of the activated charcoal thing! where do you even get it?

Purelytwins March 13, 2014 at 4:29 pm

we got ours off amazon, we hope to do a vlog soon of us showing how we use it – here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Shell-Charcoal-Activated-Powder/dp/B00CF3NBF6/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1394749747&sr=8-16&keywords=activated+charcoal

ShannonK March 16, 2014 at 5:28 pm

My fast Orange Chicken: Bag of Trader Joes frozen Orange Chicken with a bag of frozen TJ’s pepper and onion mix or stir fry veggies. The longest part is the brown rice, unless you do minute rice :-) Easy Peasy.