the weekend, instead of mexico.

by Janetha on January 27, 2014

in eating out,love and marriage,random rambles

hey! how’s it going? did you have a good weekend? and how about your monday—was it pretty ok? i hope so.

i have had quite a busy day today. as i mentioned before, kerryne quit and we have had a hard time replacing her. the gal we hired ended up no-showing so we are left short handed. plus the majority of the company is in mexico on the annual company trip.. so, yeah, it’s busy for those of us who stayed behind!

if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you remember that i take a company trip around this time every year. this year, marshall and i decided not to go. most people are very appalled when they hear that we turned down an all-inclusive, week-long vacation. i know, i know.. you just can’t believe i would rather be working 40+ hours this week instead of sipping pina coladas on the beach.

well, as it turns out, these trips aren’t the best for my marriage. my husband isn’t a fan of all inclusive resorts (i am right there with him—i’d never choose to go to one on my own) and definitely does not like traveling to mexico. we have argued in the past over the trip and each year he has ended up going along with me. and each year (aside from the first one obviously) we have come home in a fight. to put it bluntly: the vacation is not worth the fight. you have to make tough decisions when you are married. it’s not just your opinion that matters. and while it pains me to turn down the trip (not because i am dying to go—but because i am hurting my boss’ feelings by saying no to a reward trip) it is just better for us in the long run if we stay home!

who knows, maybe we will decide to go next year.. but as for right now.. we are not in mexico. it actually worked out for the better with the timing of kerryne quitting. it would be extra rough at the office and i would hate to leave my two co-workers who are also still here high and dry. plus i’m sick right now, and sick+vacation is the pits. it was fate.

are you wondering why i am telling you all this? no, it’s not because i want you to know i am “supposed” to be in mexico. it’s because i want you to know the importance of picking your battles and compromising with your spouse. marriage has had ups and downs for me, as it does for anyone, and i have chosen to share some of the downs with you guys in the past. i just wanted to shed a little more light on my situation and let you know some ways i am making sure there are mainly ups and very few downs. and, guess what? i am extremely happy with my decision. i am not bitter or resentful that i am not in mexico. i would rather be here and happy then there and anxious about a fight. i definitely feel like we have come a long way with our communication skills and willingness to compromise. both are such important things for a successful marriage. next time you are faced with making a decision of what you want vs. what your spouse wants, really try to see both sides of the situation and weigh each outcome before making the decision.

ok, deep marriage thoughts over. so, how about i share what i did over the weekend instead?  i mean, i am already here, i may as well!

i went to cannella’s and had this beautiful bruschetta.. almost too pretty to eat! i love that they used goat cheese on it.

for my entree i got their signature italian salad with chicken, but i am fairly certain it was a cheese salad with a side of cheese.

i LOVE this salad so much for these reasons: kidney beans. beets. garbanzo beans. their house dressing which is a blue cheese vinaigrette. if you are in or around the SLC, go to cannella’s and get this salad.

i also had a much-needed starbucks date with my BFF. i had not hung out with mandy in close to a month. A MONTH. that sickens me to type. we’ve both been real busy with jobs and life and whatnot.. so a starbucks saturday was just what we both needed.

we also got our nails done.. i got a pedi/mani and while i was getting my pedicure the nice man doing my nails decided to give me some reading material. i don’t read celeb mags, so it would have all been news to me, but i laughed at the date on the magazines.

i was boring with my nails, but at least they match my leggings!

later in the day i compared randy’s length to the length of my stuffed shark from ikea. thrilling saturday, folks.

the shark comparison was followed by rawhides for both of my rascals.

i also made a run to jamba.. who cares if it’s cold, iced coffees and smoothies always have room in my life.

and as if starbucks and jamba wasn’t enough for one day, i also went to chipotle for dinner that night.

i love getting a burrito bowl from chipotle (chicken, brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, pico, corn salsa, sour cream, guac, and lettuce by the way) because it is so much food that i can turn it into two meals! i had it for dinner on saturday and for lunch today.

and since i hadn’t eaten out NEARLY enough yet, we went to sunday brunch. marshall and i recently fell in love with avenues proper, a new-ish eatery in the avenues (duh.) we went for lunch last week and i said WE HAVE TO GO BACK ASAP. so we decided to hit it up for sunday brunch and it did not disappoint!

i got the italian eggs which was eggs scrambled with pesto, grape tomatoes, goat cheese, and croutons. yeah. croutons. in the eggs. so good. it also came with toast and bubble and squeak. quite different than the bubble and squeak i had in chicago, and actually it was way better than! i can’t wait to go back next sunday and get the proper english breakfast. that was a favorite when i was living in london.

anyway, if there is one restaurant you go to this year (utah locals) i highly suggest it be avenues proper. it’s just that good.

let’s see.. what else did i do? marshall and i did some grocery shopping at whole foods and trader joe’s. i purchased some kozy shack and rediscovered my love for chocolate pudding.

it may not be bill cosby approved like JELLO, but it’s janetha approved and that’s the same thing.

i also spent a lot of time looking at my zulily app and putting things in my cart but never actually checking out. please tell me i am not the only one who does this…

oh! and i took a quiz that told me what food i would be if i were to be food.. i got pizza!

haha.. yay! flawless. you can take the quiz yourself here—>click.

well.. you have now seen all the weekend photos from my iphone and i am sure i have thoroughly bored you to tears ;) so i will letcha go!

until next time! hope it’s not as long as it has been recently.. i promise i am trying to find the time to blog!

oh.. PS.. if you are a utah local and have ANYONE you know who would be a good administrative assistant.. PLEASE send them my way. i am in serious need. thanks.

1. what was your last tough decision?

2. what was the highlight of your weekend?

LG January 27, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I do that “fake shopping” quite a bit, actually. Yesterday I shopped for nail polishes online and then closed the browser before checking out… It’s like online window shopping for me. :0)

I am very interested in why Marshall doesn’t like all-inclusives or travelling to Mexico. Is it the lack of variety at an AI? The “I’m a slug on a resort” feeling? Something else?

Some friends invited us to a Superbowl party on Sunday and I don’t really want to go, but my husband does. Sundays are my favorite time to rest all afternoon and then cook/fold laundry/get ready for my week. :0( So this has been a back and forth conversation…I think we’re compromising and going for half. :0)

Janetha January 27, 2014 at 8:04 pm

All the places we have gone have been cities/towns where it’s not advised to leave the resort, and 7 days of the same thing gets pretty old.. we just aren’t relax on the beach for a week type of vacationers. Another big thing is the food… I have been to a good share of resorts and the food is always less than good. I know there are some out there that are known for good food, but they aren’t the ones we have been to! A big part of enjoying a vacation is eating authentic, new cuisine and that is not something we get with all inclusive. I know this may sound bratty, but all inclusive just isn’t our cup of tea! I can tolerate it but don’t prefer it.. but he hates it so much that he would rather stay home and work. It’s hard for all my co-workers and bosses to understand, because they jump at the chance, but people are just different and that’s life!

Hope you guys come to a good agreement for Sunday. Marshall is lucky and I have fallen in love with watching football. SO WEIRD for me to say!

xo

Janetha January 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Oh and I meant to say we have done all the excursions before but those are almost worse than sitting around–the shuttling on the buses for hours on end. When we did whale watching last year and were gone for 16 hours, the majority of which was on a bus, it was the last straw lol

Julie January 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for sharing this. You guys are making an effort and that’s really commendable. I’m glad you guys are communicating more and putting eachother first. I’m really happy for you :)

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Thanks, Julie! xo

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

oh how I’ve missed you (even though we talk every day). :)

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I know! I start blogging and I am like HEY I do miss this.. haha.. I will be back sooner than later.

Jenn - Girl Heroes January 27, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Oh my gosh! That picture of Randy and the shark literally had me laughing out loud! Soooo funny! Honestly it looks like a good weekend to me!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

It was! AH I am loving all your IG pics lately, by the way!

andrea January 27, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I’m baffled! Id kill for a free trip anywhere lol

kristine January 27, 2014 at 9:41 pm

my personality was ice cream. i’ll trade you for your pizza!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Haha my friend got that and the description was pretty dang awesome!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 27, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Love this! It may not make sense to everyone but sometimes we have to do things and pick our battles- and that is how it SHOULD be. It’s not always easy but in the end it is always worth! Glad you all made the best decision for your marriage.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm

So true, this makes sense to very few people.. but what matters is it makes sense for us.

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com January 27, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I’m with you guys on the all inclusive resorts. I never had any urge to go to Mexico or do the resort thing, but my best friend got married at a resort and given I was the maid of honor, I had no choice. The vacation was ok, I didn’t love it and I didn’t hate it. I was disappointed I didn’t get to do the excursions I wanted because they were at wrong times or cost extra money that I didn’t have AND I ended up getting sick from the food/water. I am in no rush to go back. I may decide to try the resort thing in a different country, but I much prefer to do my own thing and not feel like a prisoner. That sucks it’s so rough on your marriage and I can definitely understand that. I took a total of one vacation with my son’s dad before we split and it was terrible. I cried a lot and vowed to never go anywhere with him ever again LOL. I feel you girl!! Thanks for keeping it real on here! <3

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Haha I am glad you can relate! We love traveling together but that particular type of vacation is very hard on us since he just wants to go home the whole time. I am much more of a traveler and before we got together, he had hardly traveled at all. I have to remember not everyone likes to be away from home for long. Love you, lady!

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change January 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I think that the last tough decision I had to make was deciding to go and visit my mom in Florida. My ticket was going to be paid for, but it was hard to figure out if I would be okay, financially, if I was gone for 10 days from my job. And in the end, I am SO GLAD I went and visited her. I had an amazing time.

Highlight of my weekend? Fainting at work and learning I have hypervagotonia…basically prone to fainting? It has been a lot of rest & recovery in this house and I’m more than okay with that!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I am so glad your decision worked out for the best! And that is really crazy about the hypervagotonia.. never heard of that!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 27, 2014 at 10:50 pm

i love your leggings! i want a fun pair like that, but every time i try them on, i end up not loving them!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I bet you could totally pull them off! They are scary at first, but way too comfy to not wear. Especially for you since you are pregs!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats January 27, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Highlight of my weekend was definitely the Hens party I had Saturday and of course Australia Day on Sunday was great too!

I think it is great that you shared the decision about your work trip. I think relationships take work and not everyone is willing to talk about the work they take and people can then have unrealistic expectations that everything will just be peachy keen and if its not something is really wrong when in actual fact you’ve got to put in the work to make it work! I’m babbling but in summary hats off to you ;)

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:29 pm

haha thank you xo

Julie January 28, 2014 at 12:25 am

I’m a burrito.

My tough decisions usually end in… sleep it off.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm

OH I WOULD LOVE TO BE A BURRITO!

Sarahf January 28, 2014 at 3:34 am

Thank you for being so honest, it’s great that you guys have a good relationship, and are willing to make compromises for each other. I’m not married, or in a relationship, but I think I would struggle with that part. Mind you, I would hate a resort holiday, I’m way too pale to spend any length of time on the beach (I literally have to put sunscreen on every 15 minutes, or wear long sleeves, which is what I usually end up doing. It’s fine for a day, but not a week), and I much prefer going out and doing stuff or sightseeing. My last tough decision was work-related, but I’m hoping moving to a new job will pay off in the end. Fingers crossed!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Crossing my fingers for you as well!

Erica January 28, 2014 at 3:40 am

I think its fantastic that you guys decided to do whats best for you! Hope you get a nice date in this weekend. All of the food looks yummy- especially the Chipotle. I know its “faster” food, but their guac is so darn good!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I know! I got guac on my bowl and then a side of guac haha.. Marshall was like that’s kinda gross how much guac you’ve got going on. I told him to zip it.

Andrea @ Pencils and pancakes January 28, 2014 at 5:33 am

I wasnt a big fan of the all inclusive when we went for our honeymoon…….and I’d be especially wary of one in Mexico!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, they aren’t for everyone!

lindsay January 28, 2014 at 6:30 am

i agree with lindsay. Missed ya. But you know i can relate to marriage miscommunication. And working through it takes sacrifices. But they are so worth it. AMEN!

p.s.
I have those tights. TWINSIES (i really hate that word)

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm

haha totes twinsies. love you.

Livi January 28, 2014 at 7:24 am

you are so awesome for choosing your marriage over a free trip! and look how much fun you had staying home :D!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Yeah! I actually can say I am soo so glad I stayed home. No place I’d rather be right now.

betty January 28, 2014 at 7:52 am

i agree with marshall.. i’m not sure the point of vacationing in other countries if youre just gonna sit around and not explore, I can go to florida and sit on the beach for a lot cheaper. I seriously miss CR. I want to go back so bad. the food alone was enough to make me fall in love with the country!

i’m glad yall are working it out!! and boo for not being able to find a replacement.. i’d so take the job just to hang out with you all day! hahah

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Please come work here ;) YES to CR!! I actually keep trying to get them to go there and rent out all of Banana Azul.. still working on them haha

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie January 28, 2014 at 8:26 am

I love that you blog about the ups and downs of life! I find that sometimes bloggers (myself included) only include the good fluffy stuff. I also am not married, but someday I will defiantly be using your advice!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:26 pm

xoxo

Corrie Anne January 28, 2014 at 9:08 am

Totally get why you’re not crazy about resorts. And it’s definitely worth it to make the best decision for your marriage even if it does mean cold weather. Thanks for sharing — we all go through this at some points. One of my decisions is always choosing how much to work, and giving up a job with Denver Public Schools this year that was really hard to get was difficult, but worth it! Now I’m experiencing the same with my piano studio — how many clients am I willing to take since having my own business really ebbs & flows! Hope you find someone to help out at work soon!!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm

You guys seem to have a great relationship and always make time for each other! I actually really admire you!

Stacey January 28, 2014 at 9:45 am

I’m curious if you thought about going on the trip without Marshall? My husband always takes at least 1 trip a year skiing with friends out west. He is more an adrenaline junkie than me so it works best for him to go enjoy with buds and then we’ll go together another time. In turn I’ll take a girls’ trip every spring with a bunch of old high school friends. For us it’s all about understanding we can’t do everything together and meet all our ‘wants’. Figuring it out is the hardest part — glad you were able to make a decision that works best for your marriage.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Actually, the very first trip I went on in 2009 I didn’t take him because he didn’t have a passport yet and we went on super short notice. We usually book a good 6 months in advance, but this particular year we weren’t going to do the trip at all and then decided to about 3 weeks before going! So I ended up going with the rest of the company and their spouses. It was fun… but I found myself lonely and missing Marshall after a few days. Don’t get me wrong, I am not some dependent person that can’t take trips solo (I traveled Europe solo years ago) but when you are at a resort with 10 other couples and then it’s just you.. it gets boring. I would go to the gym and the beach but when people were off with their mate, I was left alone and was over it by about day 4. It’s kind of the type of trip where you definitely want to have someone to hang out with, even though there is a big group.. the group isn’t always together. I may end up taking a friend in the future if he doesn’t want to go and I do, but after a lot of discussion we both decided not going was the best decision for us right now. We are in such an awesome spot and made huge changes in the past year, there is no real reason to rock the boat over a trip I am not dying to go on.

Stacey January 28, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I totally understand your thought process and did not take into consideration it would be all couples but you. I was just curious if going alone was an option you thought about.

Also wanted to mention I really like reading more about your personal life. Sometimes in an odd way it’s humbling to know others have marriage troubles as well. We’ve been married almost 3 years (together for 9) and this was by far the hardest year since we’ve been dating. Decisions we made years ago about having children and other future goals are suddenly changing and we’re having a hard time meeting in the middle. Stubbornness does not help either.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm

It’s those big life decisions that really test you! I am glad you are weathering your storms :) xoxo

Ashley @MilesonOats January 28, 2014 at 10:09 am

My last tough decision was forcing myself to stop saying “no” to every invite or friend asking to make plans. I get really nervous when it comes to breaking my routine and regimented life. I am 23 for crying out loud, I need to break these granny habits! I work full time and go to ASU full time, so I guard my schedule to make sure nothing interferes with my success. But sometimes I need to let loose just a little and nurture my friendships and family relationships. For my sanity, happiness, and health. At the end of the day, a little schedule mix up never killed anyone.

I hope the workplace issues work themselves out soon! I bet your stressed but try to keep your heart and head in positive spirits during the process. The best things come to those who wait. Maybe your next employee with be a life changing blessing who fixes all your worries! ;)

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:19 pm

It makes me really happy to see that you are making an effort to get out there and live life. I know when you have stricter habits it can seem like a big deal to break them, but you are right.. you are 23.. you don’t want to regret skipping out later in life! Get after it :) xo

Jenn @ Mark My Mile January 28, 2014 at 10:26 am

I can relate to the marriage ups and downs. Can I ask, how did you decide this and not feel resent or anger? That is something I am working on and any guidance would help!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Back when we were in therapy, we always had homework. (Therapy is no good unless you do the homework outside of the sessions!) And one of the big assignments was to always remove yourself from a situation and look at it from two other points of view–an outsider, and from your spouse’s. It’s not an easy task, but after practicing for awhile you really figure out how to look at things differently rather than let your own opinion blind you. Marshall and I come from very different backgrounds and have very different views on many things (it’s so true when they say opposites attract!) so even though I thought it was so far fetched to not want to take a free trip, I had to respect his opinion. I acknowledged that he went four years in a row just to make me happy, and even though they turned out sour by the 7th day, he still made the effort to go for me even though it wasn’t what he wanted. It was definitely my turn to give him his way, I was being selfish with the situation partially because I didn’t understand his reasons and partially because I wanted my way. But when I started compromising more and seeing things through his eyes, I had a change of heart. It took awhile because he had a hard time telling me how he saw things (communication has come a long way) but once I was able to REALLY see how he felt, it was so much easier for me to say, “Hey, I get it, let’s skip it this time.” And I am SO much happier knowing I made a decision we both feel good about. We are in an awesome spot these days, and I wouldn’t want a trip I don’t personally care much about be the reason to rock the boat.. it’s been smooth sailing for nearly a year now and I intend to keep it that way. Sorry for the long reply! You know that’s what I do! Best of luck with your own ups and downs, it is so worth it if you can figure out how to make it work!! xoxo

Jenn @ Mark My Mile January 29, 2014 at 4:43 am

Thank YOU for your reply. It’s hopeful to hear that you and Marshall found your “happy place” and are able to return to it. I greatly appreciate the time you took to reply to my comment and the honest and open response. I will put this in practice. Again, thank YOU!

Janetha January 29, 2014 at 3:24 pm

xoxo :)

Nicole C January 28, 2014 at 11:22 am

There are going to be some tough decisions at work coming up. One guy put his notice in recently. I have a feeling my already overflowing plate, will be that much busier. I have an uneasy feeling. Maybe I could just take that spot at your company. ;)

I’ve been hiking at Red Rock Canyon each weekend since the beginning of the year. So my highlight was the Calico Tanks hike. Pleasant surprise when we realized we were on the wrong trail to our original hike. Oh well, I can’t believe I’m hiking in January!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm

haha in my dreams!!! i would love that. come on over. you’re hired.

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl January 28, 2014 at 11:32 am

After our chat while boarding last year (I miss Brighton!!) I completely get why you guys wanted to not go even if it was free. A vacation isn’t worth it if you’re fighting (as I learned with my ex, ugh) and not both enjoying it. I think you’re on a good path and you both have each other’s best interests in mind.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm

ahhh i miss you! man, things are SO different than last year. for both of us, i believe. thank god!

Trisha January 28, 2014 at 11:40 am

Yay you for choosing your marriage over a sunny vacation during the coldest winter EVER! We’re less than a month away from a most expenses paid trip to Mexico with my company as well and we could not be looking more forward to it. Luckily, my company rents condos for us in a pretty happening part of town, rather than sticking us in an AI in the middle of nowhere, or we’d probably be in the same boat as you guys. Regardless, it would be tough for me to say no to the trip, even if the hubs and I weren’t on the same page about it. But you’re right, marriage is about picking battles, and even when it’s really tough, compromise is a must.
Maybe your boss will let you pick your own awesome trip for putting in so much hard work while everyone else is gone! :)
The highlight of our weekend was definitely an impromptu dinner party with my parents and a few of their friends. So much fun with the parentals!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Sounds like a fun trip you guys have planned! I figure he went with me four years in a row without wanting to, so I could skip a year :)

Emily R January 28, 2014 at 11:57 am

Thank you for being so honest! For those of us who are in our early married years, it’s always encouraging to hear that you’re not “the only one” going through struggles. Everyone goes through this stuff, but no one really talks about it, which can sometimes make you feel like you’re the only one! I think it’s great that you guys chose to stay home – sometimes you just have to make the decisions that are right for YOU, not anyone else.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I love that last sentence. I still get a lot of crap for some of my decisions.. but you are so right–they are decisions that are right for me, not anyone else. Love you!

Annette@FitnessPerks January 28, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Great thoughts about marriage! Way to put the most important relationship first :)

I actually really liked our all-inclusive resort in mexico for our honeymoon, I am such a sucker for freeeeee food & drinks and it was all really tasty. But I do see your point–you guys def like to do & do stuff & eat all over the place. When I am on vacay I just want to chill on the beach, with food & drink, and read & swim. haha

I do that with shopping too! It makes me feel like I bought it. hahaha

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I can do that for maybe 4 days but then I go stir crazy! I am a weirdo.

Kellie January 28, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I competely fear that the zulilly app is going to “un-install” from my phone because I always leave stuff in my basket…could that happen ???

And I applaud you and Marshall working on your marriage. Life in general, and marriage specifically, isn’t always easy. The effort is worth it though. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna January 28, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the hard parts about marriage! I think it’s good to learn from other couples to maybe give my own marriage a fresh perspective. I have never been to an all inclusive resort but I’ve never heard anyone tell me they had an amazing time at one. My friends just traveled to Mexico for a wedding in their family and they and every single one of their family members developed a bacterial infection there and were miserable the whole time! Some of them even had to go to the hospital in Mexico and get an IV to replenish fluids!!! So scary that that could happen!

SuzanneU January 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

So glad to “see” you! I missed your posts! Good for you for putting your marriage first. Who gives a damn what other people think. i am glad you are back in cyber world. I missed you :)

Janetha January 29, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Thanks, Suzanne! xoxo

calee @ life + running January 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm

j: I love that you shared these thoughts. I’m not married (yet) but we have definitely had some battles similar to this. I continue to go round and round with the BF about not staying here with me and starting his career elsewhere, even though I know that it was the best choice for our future. It’s good to know that certain things are points of contention, but instead of ignoring them, figure them out (like you did). A lot of people ignore the hard stuff, which builds up and gets really icky.

You mean to tell me that Marshall isn’t the type of person that likes all-inclusive resorts? I think I’m with him on that one. But hey, extra paycheck (if you get paid hourly).