checking in.

by Janetha on January 17, 2014

in day job,eating out,family time,travel

hey! well this is kind of weird. i took so much time off from blogging that i am not quite sure how to properly start a post anymore! i guess i could just say heeeeyyy guys, here i am, alive and well.

you would think i would have a ton to say after a couple weeks off, but things in my life have been pretty same old, same old.

i did have the opportunity to go to san diego last week! marshall and i stayed with my sister and her family for four days. i had to be in san diego for an advocare seminar, and so the fact that my sis lives there was awesome and we made a trip of it.

i didn’t take too many photos, but i do have a few to share…

we went to this awesome cafe called snooze for brunch. apparently it is also in arizona and colorado. it really needs to be in utah, though, because i want to eat there again and again and again. so dang good. i had a scramble with goat cheese, spinach, avocado, caramelized onions, and wild mushrooms. it came with toast and a cute serving of hash browns. yes, i called the hash browns cute.

it’s always an internal struggle if i want to have a sweet or savory breakfast/brunch. luckily my sister and marshall were having the same struggle, so we decided to split a flight of pancakes to go alongside all of our savory orders. yes, i said a flight of pancakes. snooze offers a plethora of pancake options and for those who just can’t commit to one kind, there is the flight option! so smart. we chose a carrot cake pancake, a cinnamon roll pancake, and (my favorite) a blueberry danish crumble pancake. yum times three.

we also hit up a couple of local record shops since marshall’s new obsession is vinyl. i got him a record player for his birthday back in october and a steady supply of vinyl has been coming to our house since then, ha! at least it’s a fun new hobby for both of us, as we are big music lovers.

should i have snagged this?? haha.

advocare success school was super informative and i am happy i was able to attend. it’s a great company and i am happy to be so involved.

oh! i also had my very first panera experience. i have a rule that i won’t eat anywhere on vacation that i can eat at home, but we don’t have panera in utah. it was good.. but nothing that knocked my socks off. the lemonade was definitely the highlight.

san diego has incredible weather in january. i did not miss the snow and cold a single bit and i would love to live there! as a retired avid snowboarder, i never thought i would say such a thing.. but i guess that’s a part of growing up. i swore i would NEVER get sick of snow or winter.. but temps in the 70s all winter long are looking quite nice right about now!

like i said, not a ton of photos from my trip, but we had an awesome time, ate delicious mexican food, and enjoyed spending time with my sister and her family. i sure wish they lived in utah. or i could always move to san diego.. if it weren’t for that whole job thing.. ;)

so.. yeah.. life has been pretty same old, same old.. but one big change happened today and it pains me to talk about it. one of my best friends and co-workers, kerryne, put in her two weeks a couple weeks ago. she found a job that was a better fit for her. today was her last day and i am sick about it. it’s not often you get to work with two of your best friends. kerryne, amanda and i have been lucky to work together and enjoy every single weekday with each other. i was literally in tears over her leaving… ugh. life at work will NEVER be the same.

love you, jer. (that’s what we call kerryne. long story.)

what else? oh! randy. this guy is doing much better! thanks to those of you who were concerned about his back injury and his health. we got back from san diego and he was back to his usual (goofy) self. such a relief, i hated seeing him in pain!

even though i haven’t been blogging, i have still kept busy with things behind the scenes. i am hosting a 24 day challenge with 70 participants and they are halfway done. it’s going really well and everyone has already slimmed up quite a bit! just a reminder, the 24 day challenge is still on sale for a few more days. you can snag it from my site here.

i have also been working hard on planning the 2014 blend retreat. we are so excited for this year’s event! if you have attended blend in the past, you know what an amazing time it is. i promise this third annual event is going to more incredible than the last two. get excited! it will be held in park city, utah on june 6-8 this year. we had such great feedback about the location from last year that we have decided to host the retreat in park city once again. we pushed the date back a bit so it will be warmer here in utah. mark your calendars! tickets will be on sale within a month or so.

mmmkay.. enough rambling for the day! i promise to try to blog more often. i was definitely over it for awhile there.. but your emails and comments on instagram definitely prompted me to post today and hopefully i will post again soon. :) love you all!

1. if you could up and move ANYWHERE in the world, and money/job/family/etc was not an issue, where would you move?

2. what was the last thing you ordered when dining out? were you stoked on your selection?

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 17, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for the update on Blend – I’m really hoping to go this year!!

Erica January 17, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Brunch out is the absolute best! Those hash browns totally are cute. Glad you had such a fun time on your trip. Double glad Randy is better. That cute little man. We already up and moved where I want to live :). Heart Charleston.

lorie January 17, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Missed your posts and glad to hear updates. Especially Randy he is so cute. My heart goes out to you in losing the best friend/coworker dynamic. You guys seem like such a family there and I know it must feel so sad. Praying for you and all the things going on. I really want to make Blend this year…..GPP going to bring it again?

Betty January 17, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Love your rambles and you!! I would love to live somewhere out west!! I love it out there! B actually got offered a job in SALT LAKE but she didn’t like the idea of being away from family. That’s not an issue for me.. We coulda been neighbors!!

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds January 17, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I’ve been waiting for the day I wake up early enough for Snooze (oxymoron?)!!! I live 10 minutes away and every weekend I drive by and see a ridiculous line. Good to hear its worth the wait :) It makes me super happy that you had Mexican food. SD does it the best (outside of Mexico, of course ;)

Emily R January 17, 2014 at 8:45 pm

1) Most definitely Tuscany, Italy
2) A delicious burger from Lucky 13

So glad you are back to blogging! :) And I would definitely live in San Diego if I could. LOVED it the one time we visited…

lindsay cotter January 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm

We will move to San Diego with you. But we need to win the lotto first so we can afford it. That damn city is so expensive. But it is gorgeous. Okay I’m ready for blend again. Tell momma b to get her freezer ready for my balls.

Purelytwins January 18, 2014 at 7:09 am

Michelle and I will move to San Diego with you girls too!!! We miss our beach and sunny weather ;)

Amanda January 17, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I’d move to Seattle.

Dude, I’m sorry your friend got a job somewhere else :( it’s a truly unique and wonderful experience to work with your friends! Such a bummer, we spend so much time at work that being with friends makes it so much better.

Katie January 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm

oooh love the BLEND logo this year! I hope so badly I can swing it…if for no other reason than to hug your face.

Angela January 17, 2014 at 9:13 pm

2 things:
1. I want those pancakes
2. Excited about BLEND! hope to make it!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 17, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Wow sounds like you are having a blast!! Enjoy this time :)

Corrie Anne January 18, 2014 at 12:16 am

i’ve never been to snooze in denver because i don’t have the patience to wait for a table, but everyone says it’s amazing. but, they just built a panera less than a mile away from me, so we’re pretty excited about that!! we’re pretty happy in denver, but i definitely miss living in the dominican republic!! i had a pretty great burger last night!

Joy January 18, 2014 at 4:26 am

The last thing I got was sesame seitan and it was great! I want to come to blend this year

Kristen January 18, 2014 at 7:05 am

Where would I want to live, no pesky reality to contend with? That’s tricky. Politically and culturally I love the Nordic countries (have you seen that Denmark, Norway, and Sweden are the happiest countries?) except I hate winter! Living in New England is bad enough. So then I say I’d want to move someplace warm. Hmm- is there a tropical nation with a stable political structure, universal health care, and low crime?

Madison January 18, 2014 at 7:12 am

We missed you and are glad you’re back! :) p.s. that pancake flight needs to get in my belly right now! YUM!

Jenn - Girl Heroes January 18, 2014 at 8:28 am

If money wasn’t as issue I’d get an RV in New Zealand and then Europe. No desire to stay in one place. :-D Personally after living in southern CA for about 15 years I think it’s overrated. It’s beautiful but full of problems and too much damn regulation or this freebird. I swear to can’t sneeze without getting a permit. If I had to go back it would be Ventura where we left or Santa Cruz.

Livi January 18, 2014 at 11:11 am

If I could move anywhere AND take my family with me :) I would love to live in Spain! I love Europe, I speak Spanish, and I loveeeeeee Barcelona so much!

jess t January 18, 2014 at 11:21 am

i’ve missed your blog posts! i totally understand not feeling like documenting your life at this point, but i miss your rambles. : )

1. my husband and i grew up in the same town and both always wanted to live “someplace else”. for the past 2 years or so we talked about moving but couldn’t really decide on where to go or how to make it happen. so when some positions opened up with his company in various areas of the country, we decided to let them pick for us. we sold our house, and a lot of other things, packed up and moved to charlottesville, va in september of last year. as a reformed planner of every single detail of everything, this is the craziest thing i have ever done in my life and i couldn’t be happier with the decision to go for it.

2. i ordered chicken piccata last night and while it was delicious, the best part of the meal was the free bread. so buttery and soft and chewy and delicious.

Traci January 18, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I used to live in Denver, and Snooze is one of the things I miss most. Maybe even second to the mountains.

Laura @ RunningJunkie January 18, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Those pancakes looks awesome!

The last place I went was a Thai restaurant in DC. (If you don’t count the popcorn food truck I had yesterday. haha). It was ok. I got the green curry.

emily (a nutritionist eats) January 18, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I’m heading to San Diego next weekend so I think I’ll request a visit to Snooze, you had me at pancake flight!

Julie January 19, 2014 at 2:01 am

The pancake flight is the best thing since… the bacon flight I had in Palm Springs.

I won’t eat anywhere on vacation that I can eat at home. I also stopped eating at most chain restaurants. A few weeks ago, I did stop by a Panera, which I’ve never had, and got a loaf of hot bread.

If I could live anywhere, I would be in Portland or Denver/Boulder. Um, I’ve never be either place though, but it sounds sooo good.

RainStorm January 19, 2014 at 4:32 am

I would happily attempt living in France or sprain although in reality I wonder how long I’d survive with my dreadful foreign language skills and poor friend-making ability!

Last night I took a step out if my food comfort zone – we were at a lovely posh French-style restaurant so I ordered beef cheeks. It was pretty yummy (and I was proud that I’d tried something new!).

Glad you had such a nice time away, and that Randy’s recovering :)

Trisha January 19, 2014 at 6:52 pm

What a great trip you must have had…taking care of business and pleasure on the same trip is the best! If money were no issue, I would obviously choose a ridiculously beautiful tropical destination, but in real life I’m kind of obsessed with the idea of moving to Denver. I’ve never even been there but I cannot. stop. thinking. about it. I think I even have my husband on board!
We haven’t been eating out much these days, but I had some amaaaazing biscuits & veggie (mushrooms!) gravy at breakfast this morning with a side of mocha almond pancake. Worth every single calorie, but I was really glad we fit in a workout before pigging out!
P.S. I would absolutely LOVE to finally make it to Blend this year, but I’m really hoping I’m preoccupied with pregnancy around that time. :)

Linz @ Itz Linz January 19, 2014 at 8:52 pm

San Diego is AMAZING!!!!! I would totally move there … If it weren’t for the whole job and family thing here :) I grew up on panera (st Louis bread co here) and don’t think itz all itz cracked up to be either – I’d much rather eat locally while out of town as well!

Jessica January 20, 2014 at 9:29 am

Panera’s secret menu kicks their regular menu’s butt! But yeah, I don’t really understand the Panera craze. We have them in my area, and my friends are obsessed…but those sandwiches have hidden calories!

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl January 20, 2014 at 9:52 am

San Diego would definitely be on my list of places to up and move to if I could. I love the weather out there. So glad you had a good trip!! :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 20, 2014 at 11:47 am

For right now, I would stay in Colorado – but have a cabin in the mountains & house in Denver Metro. Long -term I want to move, but I haven’t passed my snowboarding phase yet! :)

Kim @ Roaming Raspberry January 20, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Those pancakes look amazing! So glad you posted about the blend retreat! I’ve been wondering about it, thought it’d be a fun conference to hit and see my family back home in Utah all at once!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I like that plan!

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt January 20, 2014 at 3:13 pm

So glad that Randy is feeling better! His eyes just say that he is feeling good. ;)

I’m excited about Blend. I had a great time last year and I feel like this year will be even better!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:42 pm

It’s shaping up to be RAD.

Annette@FitnessPerks January 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Sweet about Blend!!

Nicole C January 21, 2014 at 10:11 am

I can’t pick where in the world I would live, the list is too big. I’d say Italy but I haven’t even been there to know. Now I will be thinking about travel all day.

Last thing place I ate at was the Grand Luxe Cafe at the Palazzo and it was terrible! My bro picked it for his 30th bday and what a sad experience. The weeekend before that we had gone to Culinary Dropout, which is always fun.

Happy that Randy is feeling better :)

Janelle January 21, 2014 at 12:05 pm

i just went to snooze on new year’s day. LOVED IT. i live in the LA area so San Diego isn’t too far from me. we are having unusally warm weather, but i’m glad you got to enjoy it. i would actually move to san diego if circumstances were different. i have family there so i do visit often. i think that the last time i ate out was at snooze. i had one of their eggs benedict dishes. delish. i am a savory breakfast person. for sure. i never crave sweets in the morning and if i eat something sweet for breakfast i’m never satisfied. haha.

natalie@thesweetslife January 21, 2014 at 12:31 pm

ha ryan’s on a huge vinyl kick right now too…i kid you not, he sits in the office every night now, listening to a record with a cocktail!

calee January 22, 2014 at 11:23 am

Oh man, if I lived in Utah, we would totally have record store outings. Vinyl can quickly become an obsession and it gets expensive. Mark got me a new turntable for Christmas (read: that’s 3 that I’ve upgraded through in a year). I got him his own for his birthday in July since he’s living 3 hours away from me. I figured that I spent at least $1500 on records last year.

I bet there are some pretty sweet records in the SLC area since there was a punk scene there … or maybe there wasn’t and I’m just thinking of the movie.

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Haha come and we can record shop :) Unless I am totally broke by the time you get here…

calee January 28, 2014 at 3:48 pm

It’s a distinct possibility (being broke!). Vinyl gets to be an expensive habit. I’m interested in seeing what you’ve got in your collection. I started using Discogs to track what I’ve got, but it’s not social. And I’ve been doing double duty by pinning them on Pinterest …. I just want a simple inventory that people can view (hello gifts!). :)

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 4:16 pm

That’s a cool idea! I have to say that he’s not the only one who has started collecting.. it’s just too much fun. He did track down Face to Face self titled for me for Christmas.. came all the way from Japan. That’s my favorite album ever. He also found NOFX Punk in Drublic and Propagandhi How to Clean Everything. We only have a few artists that overlap with our tastes, so it is nice he is going out of his way to satisfy my love for punk rock ;)

calee January 28, 2014 at 4:18 pm

You and Mark have similar tastes. He gets so excited when he sees any vintage punk, but we’ve just been buying a lot of represses bc (as you know, or will soon find out) punk is hard to find, and when you find it, it’s expensive. I’m alllll over the board with my tastes, so whatever goes. :)

Ashley@cupcakesncrunches January 24, 2014 at 8:44 pm

If I could move anywhere I think I would pick the mountains of North Carolina. I love the tranquility, views & seasons.

& I would love to attend Blend again this year! It was a highlight of 2013 for me!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I hope you can come!!!!

Emily January 26, 2014 at 5:52 am

Australia, in a heartbeat! But it’s REALLY far from family. More locally, San Diego or N. FL.