oh, hi.

by Janetha on January 4, 2014

in random rambles

dropping off the face of the blogging planet has kinda been my thing lately. and i am not one of those folks who say OH GEE GUYS I AM SO SORRY I HAVE BEEN MIA!! because, in reality, i’m not sorry a single bit. ya see, i kinda just got sick of blogging. it’s strange.. nothing like this in my five years of blogging has ever happened! sure, i have gone through ruts and bouts of writers block.. but they quickly passed and i was back to the daily blogging grind. but this time? flat out sick of it. sick of documenting my life and worrying about remembering the details and finding time to type it all up.  plus, i haven’t been making any new recipes, or doing any new or inspiring workouts, or been going on any crazy adventures.. so blogging about my daily life just seemed pretty darn pointless. so i didn’t. but i had the itch to type today, so i am going to. hope you hang in with all my random posting times.. who knows, maybe i will be back to daily posts here in a bit. or maybe not. your guess is as good as mine.

anyway, enough of that. HAPPY NEW YEAR!  since i have no meals or moves to share, let me tell you about my dog!

my poor randy pants is having a rough week. on wednesday he ate something that didn’t agree with his belly. we were worried he ate aluminum foil, so we took him into the doggy ER for an X-ray. luckily it wasn’t foil and he was just way bloated from whatever it was he consumed. they sent him home with anti-nausea pills and a pat on the bum.

friday rolls around and this poor pup can barely walk. he was shaking uncontrollably and looked sadder than your average basset hound–i mean i know they already look pretty sad–but he was definitely down and out. he was whimpering and unresponsive and we were super worried. even his friends at daycare said he had been acting very off–not like his typical randy dog self. we called the vet we had taken him to a couple days before, worried it may have been related to that incident. they had us come in.. and as it turned out, it was something entirely different.

being a long dog, randy is prone to back troubles. we have kept him very lean his whole life, so luckily he has not run into any back troubles due to his weight. however, he must have been roughhousing and somehow tweaked his back where the thoracic and lumbar spines meet. after a quick examination, the vet could tell right away that this was the problem. i was super glad we rushed him in. he may look happy here.. but actually he was not so stoked. but he was panting uncontrollably and super drooly and the vet told us that was one of his ways of telling us something was wrong! smart fella. long tongue.

NewImage

they gave him a pain injection and then sent us home with prescribed bed rest, muscle relaxers, pain relievers, and anti inflammatories. hopefully he will heal up quickly and be back to his playful self soon. we are fortunate that it was just an injury. we initially thought it was arthritis, since that is common in bassets and he is turning 9 this year, but luckily that is not the case! we will just nurse this sweet heart back to health as quickly as we can.

NewImage

we put a dog bed on the floor so he could relax (our dogs usually sit on the couch with us) but randy wanted nothing to do with it. penny did, though!

NewImage

so marshall went and got him a staircase so he can get on and off of the couch. we are still trying to help him get the hang of it, haha.

NewImage

a few other random happenings around here…

i spent a good hour and a half looking at maskcara the other day (yes, that is how i spent my christmas vacation.. hahaha) and then proceeded to order her HAC pack. it just came and i can’t wait to figure out how to use it, ha!

NewImage

i typically don’t get into makeup very much because i am totally clueless when applying, but i do like learning more and playing around with it. i need to figure out how to put my naked palettes to use! i am so not pro. do you have any good eyeshadow blogs or youtube channels to recommend?

this punny cheese i picked up at trader joe’s made me laugh…

NewImage

speaking of cheese. how excited are we in this house about the packers going to the playoffs?! excited enough to paint my nails like this…

NewImage

i had a girls night with my BFF the other night and she had this brilliant idea to give me packers nails, complete with a football thumb. i wish i loved packers colors.. haha. but yay! super excited about the game tomorrow! marshall is a happy man.

i lied, i do have one meal to share with you. it doesn’t photograph so great, but it tasted awesome so i should share.

NewImage

i made picky palate’s crock pot creamy spaghetti and it was really good! i added an onion and cut the recipe in half. i will definitely add mushrooms next time and cut it in half one more time. it made wayyyy too much for just me and marshall. but it was delicious!

oh i should definitely tell you about this–advocare is having a corporate sale! apparently this isn’t something that happens often, so you may want to get on it. all 24 day challenges are on sale for $175!

Screen Shot 2014 01 04 at 4 29 53 PM

they have also come out with a new workout program, CU24. there is a whole promo bundle that comes with the DVDs, exercise ball, resistance band, water bottle, and towel.

NewImage

something else that’s cool: the $10,000 24 day challenge. my team has banded together and is offering $10,000 in cash prizes for 20 winners! i know some of you wanted to get in on the january jumpstart and missed the boat, so this challenge may be of interest to you.  you just have to start any time before january 27th and turn in your results by february 21st. you can register here

Screen Shot 2014 01 04 at 5 17 06 PMit’s quite the incentive up for grabs.. if you want to do the challenge then you should definitely register for this since it’s free to do so! let me know if you have questions about it.

in other news, we got a dyson!

NewImage

i actually am not the vacuumer in our house. truth be told i didn’t even know how to work our old one. but marshall is quite the vacuuming fool and he was super stoked on this! definitely a good purchase! i found it at costco and it’s the one made specially for pet hair.. and lord knows we have a lot of that floating around the house.

okay.. that’s enough rambling for today. i am gonna go cuddle with my poor pup. i will be back next time with my plan for 2014. no resolutions or goals this time around.. but i do have a plan!

have a great rest of your weekend!

momma b. January 4, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Gosh finally – I’m so happy to read all of your ramblings! Even happier that the long, long pup is going to be okay! The look on his face in all of the photos……totally priceless!

Loe you all! xoxo

lindsay January 5, 2014 at 6:07 am

what momma said. You can ramble here whenever. I listen cause i’m your “blend” and care about you! Plus i care about your sweet pups. Gently hug randy for us. Poor guy.

p.s.
momma b should be your fill in when you have writers block.

Traci January 4, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Awwww, every picture got a little sadder and cuter than the last, ending with the staircase up to the couch! Best wishes for a peaceful recovery for your pooch. And that Trader Joe’s cheese made me laugh. One of the reasons I love TJ’s so much–the puns!

Karey @ Nutty About Health January 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Aww, poor Randy!! So glad he has such good doggy parents who take such good care of him. Wishing him a speedy recovery!!
In other news – stoked for the Packer game tomorrow!!! Going to be a COLD one!! My parents have season tickets, but there was NO way I was gonna freeze my bootay off when I can snuggle on the couch & watch. Let’s hope it’s a great game!! Go Pack go!!!

Bonnie January 4, 2014 at 6:57 pm

You’ll have to update us on the maskcara foundation. Some of my favorite YouTube channels are: Emma Pickles, BrunetteBeautyBlogger, Tanya Burr, EssieButton and Leighannsays. As for blogs, I like Temptalia…not too many tutorials, but lots of info and reviews on makeup. Enjoy!

maria trains January 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm

OH! I hope Randy dog feels better soon. Breaks my heart to see any animal in pain… but that sweet guy… and those eyes… oohhh feel better soon, Randy!

I LOVE makeup. Lots of great youtubers out there. I like missglamorazzi, makeupbyalli, essiebutton, casey holmes (she is AWESOME!), kaittdee, beauty broadcast. I could keep going… let me know if you want more!

maria trains January 4, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Also, I always read reviews on Makeupalley before buying anything. It lets me see how others like a product and whether it might be worth the $.

andrea January 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I love your blog, dont ever stop even if the posts are few and far between. I love sccastaneda, nicole guerriero, makeup be leinabaaaby, stillglamorus, carah amelie, its judys life

purelytwins January 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Hope Randy feels better soon!!!!

We follow a lot of makeup artist for inspiration and help with makeup, as we are not very good at it, but love to play in makeup haha ;)

Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom January 4, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Poor Randy, I hope he’s feeling better soon. How does he like the stairs? I’ve thought about getting them for my dogs but I don’t know that they’d use them.

And, Dysons are awesome by the way I’ve had one for about 10 years and it’s still going strong!

Erica January 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Blog when you want :) I am so glad Randy is OK!I heart him. A new vacuum is definitely exciting. You know your a real adult when you type that sentence.

Katie January 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Happy New Year to you! I’m was so excited to see a post from you :) Since you are one my favorite “bloggers” I have missed you…However I completely understand just taking a break & enjoying life. Sorry to hear about your pup! Hopefully he heals up real quick.

Clairerose January 4, 2014 at 9:00 pm

aww … poor sweet Randy!! Yay for Dyson. Not a fan of cleaning, but LOVE my Dyson:-) cc

RainStorm January 5, 2014 at 3:40 am

Lovely to see you back! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas :)
Poor Randy – it didn’t occur to me that long dogs get back ache :( He’s looking a lot happier now!

Jenn - Girl Heroes January 5, 2014 at 6:48 am

Poor Randy. :-( He looks so sad on the couch. We had a Dyson before we hit the road. It was the last thing to go. I actually ended up leaving it on my porch the night we drove off and calling friend to tell her she could pick it up if she wanted. I think she was stoked!

Livi January 5, 2014 at 7:44 am

haha I love your nails!! Go pack go!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

poor poor Randy. The stairs CRACKED me up. hahaha. I love it. Totally something I would do. He looks so sad in the picture on the bed. :(

Love you!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 5, 2014 at 8:13 am

you KNOW I’ll read no matter how infrequently you post!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 5, 2014 at 9:07 am

Oh, hi!
Love reading your words – no matter how frequent they are! And I’m kind of with ya, in the sense that I am just plain sick of blogging so much. I post about 3/week now, and I already can’t fathom writing and publishing a post every single day of the work week. Ugh. And yah, not sorry about it at all – actually quite the opposite! :)
And poor Randy :( My friend’s pekinese is going through the same thing right now – and prescribed muscle relaxants, pain relievers, anti-inflammatories, etc., too. It’s just heart breaking to see a pup in pain :(

Andrea @ Pencils and Pancakes January 5, 2014 at 9:35 am

I am hesitant to get into make up because I’m afraid it will just be another money suck! All the blog posts people have about it intrigue me though….

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 5, 2014 at 9:49 am

Aww, I’m happy to hear Randy is on the mend! It sucks when puppies are in and out of the vet – our pup was in quite a bit in November for an eye injury. I’m sure Randy will be healing up soon! I love that you guys got him a staircase for the couch ;-)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) January 5, 2014 at 10:36 am

aww poor randog :( those big pitiful eyes!! you know what? we bought a 50 dollar vac when we first got married and it still works! i think it’s a eureka…i think it has lasted bc we only vac 2 rugs since we’ve mostly lived in places with hardwood floors. i am an idiot with makeup. that’s why the lash extensions + bb cream + lipstick is my all the time look. it’s stupid easy and fast! somedays i dont even wear anything but my lipstick, love low maintenance! p.s. even though i don’t like football, those nails are cuuuuute <3

Kathleen Miller January 5, 2014 at 10:42 am

Love your posts, however often you can get them done! We had a Basset Hound, one of the sweetest dogs we’ve ever known…loved all animals and people – super friendly. Would recommend the breed to anyone. :)
We also have a Dyson – the same as yours, it’s truly the best in picking up dog hair. Wishing you a happy new year!

Jaci Inman January 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm

You will LOVE maskcara’s HAC pack. I bought it too and love it! She changed my life! jk, no but seriously, she is awesome, my friend showed me her blog and I am obsessed.! How did you hear about her? The stuff she recommends is awesome. You should try her Tomas self tanner spray that she recommends off of amazon. I love it! Anyways, you’ll love her highlight and contour. Good stuff!

Annette@FitnessPerks January 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm

haha I love the packers nails! Cute idea!

Lisa January 5, 2014 at 4:57 pm

We bought that staircase for my Shih Tzu to use to get on and off of our bed. We had it for several months and I finally decided to get rid of it since he refused to use it! haha I am happy to hear Randy is on the mend – he is so adorable!!

Bonnie January 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Great to hear from you! I’ve only been blogging about once a week – definitely lost my mojo too – but feel fine about it. No guilt here! No interesting kitchen creations or crazy trips or noteworthy workouts… And I hate to blog just the nothingness of a random day – but I do love reading random thoughts! Maybe that should be my next post too. ;)

Go Pack Go (my bro’s a big fan too) and heal up, Randy! Love you J!

Jessie January 5, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I hope Randy gets better soon! He looks like such a sweetie!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Poor Randy!! I hope he feels better soon! :(
My chiro is at the Packers game in our bitter cold weather…

Linz @ Itz Linz January 5, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Awww give Randy lots of snuggles! That’s the worst when your pup is ill or doesn’t feel well! :(

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt January 5, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I hope Randy is back to himself in no time! A few YouTube channels for makeup…EmilyNoel83, GossMakeupArtist, MakeupGeek and nguerriero19. Great channels!

Julie January 6, 2014 at 12:53 am

I’m so glad you popped in to say hi. I’m terrible with makeup and will try… then fail and give up. I look pretty okay without it and it takes me 5 minutes to get ready so why stop?

I hope Randy starts feeling better!

MizFit January 6, 2014 at 6:41 am

OOOH RANDY!!
sending healing thoughts and visions of you using the DYSON as do I!

Corrie Anne January 6, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hope Randy is feeling better!!! I’m always worrying about Boyd because he eats.. a lot. Especially when we have company who don’t believe us that he will eat ANYTHING. So he got a bit extra during the holidays. He always manages to pull through though!

Shannon January 6, 2014 at 10:55 am

Poor Randy! I am so glad that he is ok! He is so cute! I have a Basset Hound mix named Lucy… she is totally brown in color and her ears are not as long as Randy’s! His cute face makes me die! Ugh. And I love his little (big) crooked front feet. OK my crazy dog rant is over now. :)

Jennifer January 6, 2014 at 2:01 pm

What a sweet little hound dog. Poor thing. Hope he feels better soon. Don’t worry about the break. Sometimes, we all need to take a step back and focus on other things.

lorie January 6, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Aww poor Randy. I hope he gets better soon. I know how hard that is. Our cute dog did swallow something and she was so pitiful. Finally after a couple vet visits they found she had swallowed a landscaping rock. Opps! We don’t even have any of those around our yard. Haha! Between the dog and the kids I am a mess.

PS
Are you getting back to GPP workouts? One day I hope to get out there and meet all you great people!

Janetha January 7, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I actually went back yesterday! Doing HELLth week. You need to come!

betty January 7, 2014 at 7:42 am

1. I love to hear your rambles
2. so sorry to randy dog. I hope he gets better soon! I always worry about scout rough housing cause I know his back is prone to injury. and he was first to catch on to the stairs in our bedroom, so hopefully randy will do the same.
3. i’d love to know any makeup tutorials you find as well.. I’m currently only utilizing 2 of my shadows on the naked2 pallet.
4. I hope your dyson works better than ours! we got the same one from Costco black Friday last year, and within a month had to return it because it lost suction. we got a new one and now this one has lost suction, less than a year later. i’m calling the warranty people sometime this week, and hopefully I just have a jam of dog hair somewhere, even tho I’ve literally checked every nook and cranny 3x!

Nicole C January 7, 2014 at 10:37 am

Oh man, that’s a rough new years start for Randy. The life of the long dog can have it’s challenges. I’m lucky that Roxy is so little and can’t jump on the couch. Getting up the step in our sunken living room is a big deal for her. I also had to get glucosamine and chondroitin for Kronus, his hips get a little funky. Luckily Trader Joe’s has it for dogs.

We also have that Dyson and it’s a life saver. Especially on the carpet.

Victoria January 8, 2014 at 9:46 am

Oh no Randy! Those pics kill me with sad cuteness. I hope that your pup feels better soon!

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl January 8, 2014 at 10:02 am

Blogging breaks is my way of life now, haha. I hope Randypants is feeling better now!! And jealous of Marshall’s sweet vacuum. I need one of those for the kitters!

Jen@PregnantDiabetic January 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Poor pup :( Hope he’s back to his normal self soon!

Tamara January 9, 2014 at 9:54 am

I hope Randy is all better!!! xoxo

Toronto Girl West January 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Random question – I see you have the roomba in the back there – do you love it!?!?! I ask because we have a Samsung one that is on it’s last legs and I know they’re selling the Roomba at Costco.

Also, on the blogging front! I think you should do what keeps you happy! Blogging is only worth it if it’s what you want to do! :)

Salah@SalahSays January 13, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’m so happy you are back. I definitely understand the need to take a break, sometimes its so easy to get burnt out and breaks are exactly what you need to rejuvenate and get to where you want to go! I’d love to talk with you about some cool fitness/health things going on in the Utah area if you ever get a chance!

Chloe Baker January 14, 2014 at 8:18 am

A lot consistent bloggers get that way after awhile! Sometimes you just need a break to reset yourself! At least you didn’t pretend to be sorry! =)

LG January 17, 2014 at 9:05 am

Dear Janetha. I miss you. That is all. :0)

Shannon B. January 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Hi – just found your blog. Reading was like deja vu for me. We have a beagle who like Randy is NOT over weight and actually on the lazy side, but started the same symptoms your Randy did. I was so scared it was cancer, I took her to our beloved vet and he did a couple things and found she had a stressed disc in her back. Same meds as you were sent home with and same message, keep her from jumping, no long walks, etc. Luckily she is like brand new now!!! Darn hound dogs!!

Janetha January 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Aw! Glad your pup is like new! xoxoxo