christmas 2013.

by Janetha on December 28, 2013

in family time

hola! how are you all? i thought for sure i would have opened my computer before now.. but, as it turns out, i have been enjoying a computer-less week off!

not much has been happening since christmas. both marshall and i have had time off and we are soaking it up. we went to breakfast together today and we saw the hobbit the other night. we have also been doing some much-needed deep-cleaning. whenever a new year rolls around i love to clean out the pantry and cupboards and closets and get rid of foods, dishes, clothes, etc that i haven’t been using.

we don’t go back to work until the 2nd! i do have to go in for a bit on monday to do payroll, but when i get to go to work in pajamas and it’s only for an hour, it doesn’t count, haha. i will have to find a way to be somewhat productive with the rest of my time off!

anyway, time for some christmas recapping! better late than never!

christmas eve was spent with almost my whole fam–minus my sister, marisa, and her little fam. they are in sunny california.

NewImage

but luckily marshall and i are going to see them in just a couple of weeks! yay, san diego!

christmas eve at my parents’ house is always a good time.

NewImage

we snack on appetizers for a few hours before eating a dinner of soup and rolls. it’s always been our tradition and my mom always makes her clam chowder.

for the appetizers this year we had…

shrimp + cocktail sauce

buffalo chicken dip

NewImage

bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese + a balsamic reduction drizzle

NewImage

pesto pistachio sun dried tomato swiss cheese thingie

cheeseball

chips + salsa

NewImage

the soups this year were, of course, my mom’s clam chowder…

NewImage

and her equally as delicious broccoli cheddar.

NewImage

i should blog both recipes sometime! they are family favorites!

NewImage

my mom got a new muffin tin and the rolls slipped right out of the tin when she pulled them out of the oven! they went flying everywhere.. it was so funny.

NewImage

nora had a good time gnawing on my dad’s thumb. she’s the cutest ever.

Screen Shot 2013 12 28 at 8 39 43 PM

after enjoying our delicious dinner, we opened a few presents. this isn’t something typical of christmas eve, but apparently people were anxious this year ;)

NewImage

we decided to play some games. we played “headbands” because it’s fun for young and old!

NewImage

it was hilarious because my nephew kept shouting out what was on all of the headbands.. which kind of defeated the purpose of the game, but it was cute.

no family festivity is complete without my mom doing her broom trick. i should have videoed it now that i think of it.. because it’s super hard to explain. but basically she is a contortionist and somehow brings the broom from the front and then all the way around her body and back front again without letting go of the broom. it’s weird and i can’t do it but she’s real good at it. you can see greyson was super concerned about what was happening.

NewImageNewImage

we finished the night off with lots of dessert! we had pumpkin and cherry pie and four kinds of nielsen’s frozen custard. yum.

NewImage

my belly hated me by the time the night was through. so. much. dairy. oy. ugh.

christmas morning was equally as eventful.

NewImage

marshall and i woke up and opened our gifts from each other and also gave penny and randy some presents. of course mister randy dog got a lump of coal ;)

NewImage

we weren’t big on taking pics of our gift exchange, but it was fun! marshall is a great gift giver and i was super happy. he tracked down my favorite album ever (face to face self titled) on vinyl! apparently it is way rare and he had to get it from japan! love him.

one thing i was excited about giving him was a telescope! he is really into space so i knew it would be a good gift.

NewImage

we called marshall’s mom in iowa and chatted with her for a bit. hopefully she can come visit us soon! it’s hard to have her so far, and as it turns out flights to and from iowa are expensive. weird. but it was fun to skype with her!

after our little family exchange we headed back up to my parents’ for breakfast, stockings and a few more gift exchanges.

NewImage

pretty sure my favorite part of christmas is filling my mom’s stocking. she has filled ours for years and years and yeeearss.. so we play santa and fill hers for her! it’s fun and i love buying odds and ends. and seeing her reaction.

NewImage

my mom had made a breakfast casserole with potatoes, eggs, peppers, and onions. i whipped up some sourdough french toast so the breakfast had a sweet and a savory component. that’s the way to go!

NewImage

we had a great time making memories with the fam!

NewImage NewImage

NewImage

we headed home and decided to be lazy for a little while. we eventually got up and went to visit marshall’s grandpa and his wife, but quickly came back home to be lazy again. marshall made pizza for dinner and we watched some netflix.

NewImage

i hope those of you who celebrated had a lovely christmas!

NewImage

p.s. if you are thinking about joining the january jumpstart, you will want to order your challenge bundle ASAP to get it in time for the january 6 start date!!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 28, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Wow looks like you all had a great and special Christmas! :) We are heading back from spending a week with our families tomorrow and I am sad :( Ready to get a jump start on the new year though!

Julie December 28, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I love the little odds and ends! Happy holidays – pizza looks good and so does ALL of your Christmas!

Kadee-Cat December 28, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I’m loving the soup tradition!

Angela Yates December 28, 2013 at 11:52 pm

pizza looks amazing!

Momma b December 29, 2013 at 12:06 am

It was a near perfect Christmas!! Such great traditions, good food, memories made and love shared!! Love this wonderful family of ours

Lili December 29, 2013 at 12:17 am

Looks like a lot of fun. Great pics (:

Erica December 29, 2013 at 12:27 am

Your family always looks so happy!! Especially your Mom and Dad- warms my heart. VERY cool gift for Marshall. And yum to all the food, especially the delicious soups. Enjoy your time off

Nancy A. December 29, 2013 at 4:56 am

Looks like you have a fantastic Christmas! Thanks for letting us see it! Would love to have your mom’s broccoli and cheese soup recipe! Looks so delicious and warming!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 29, 2013 at 7:54 am

Looks like you guys had an amazing Christmas! I’m definitely fighting the productive versus lazy thing until I go back on the 2nd too, but after a few lazy-ish days, I think it’s time for a little productivity, not too much but a little. ;)

Erin December 29, 2013 at 11:09 am

Merry Christmas! I don’t know where Marshall’s mama lives in Iowa, but if she is anywhere near the western side of the state, maybe look at Omaha flights. It is sometimes cheaper to fly into Omaha from Salt Lake than Des Moines. Depends on where you are going, of course, but whenever we fly west out of Omaha, we go through Salt Lake, so it seems a preferred route.

Loooove those coconut chips from Trader Joes – they are a staple in my house!! Glad you had a wonderful Christmas!

Janetha December 29, 2013 at 10:01 pm

good to know! she is in tama but i am not sure what that is closest to. i will have to google.

Purelytwins December 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm

so happy that you had a wonderful Christmas, wish we were in your family as it looks like so much fun :)
broccoli cheddar soup sounds yummy! actually all the food looked amazing!

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) December 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm

we have shrimp cocktail too! looks like you guys had a great xmas and i love marshall’s bird shirt!

Carbzilla December 29, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Merry Christmas, sweetie! My brother took a job in CA but will be going home to Park City every month or so. Still gives us plenty of excuses to come visit, or maybe we should meet up with Deb in the desert in 2014. Lots of love to you and your family.

Janetha December 29, 2013 at 10:00 pm

yes yes yes to any or all of the above. love you!!!

Bonnie December 29, 2013 at 5:41 pm

So fun! And yes, please post your mom’s soup recipes!

Katie December 29, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I am going to ask momma b to do that broom trick next time I see her…also asking for some of that broccoli cheddar soup. Yes please.

Glad you guys had a good Christmas! xoxo

Toronto Girl West December 29, 2013 at 11:06 pm

lol I saw your soups and totally thought about how my dairy-hating belly would have died!!!! lol But it looked amazing!!!

And your mom is hilarious – can’t believe she has a broom trick! I say this definitely calls for a video! :P

Linz @ Itz Linz December 30, 2013 at 6:42 am

oh my so much good food! the soups, the dip, the wrapped dates, and every single dessert! family time is always amazing as is lazy time :) :)

betty December 30, 2013 at 7:30 am

merrrry (late) christmasssss! nora is adorable and penny and randy are, as well. I wish we could get a pic of us and the dogs like that!

ps.. Barbara may have to train some employees in slc this spring and if she does.. i’m totally coming with! and if that happens, i’m not leaving til I meet your face!

Janetha December 30, 2013 at 12:47 pm

eeeeeep! I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS!

Kristin January 1, 2014 at 2:20 pm

oh man, i love that face to face album … it’s been way to long since i gave it a listen!

Annette@FitnessPerks January 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Merry Christmas!!

candice s January 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

the food the food the food. Everything looked divine. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope to see you at the gym more.

Thanks for a great year of posts. I really enjoy your blog.

Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato January 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Your Christmas looked so fun! That homemade pizza looks amazing. I’m drooling…. ;)

Danny Lake January 3, 2014 at 6:41 am

Wait.. did I just read that? A week without computers? How on Earth did you manage to accomplish that? I can’t even do a day. Much advice needed please!