the eve of the eve.

by Janetha on December 23, 2013

in family time,groceries

hey! long time no blog! hope you have all enjoyed the days leading up to christmas. it’s hard to believe that tomorrow is christmas eve. sneaky holidays.. they come and go and before we know it, it’ll be summer again.

i had a fun and festive day today! things started out with my final day of work before the new year. (YAY, time off!) things also started off with an asiago bagel and cream cheese.. because carbs and christmas go hand in hand.

NewImage

later in the day we had a luncheon at work. no photos of the food, but i couldn’t resist snapping a pic of my boss and co-workers wearing these super sweet cat shirts. they all got them last week when they took a road trip to st. george. pretty sure they picked them up from a gas station in beaver.. aren’t they horribly awesome?!

NewImage

we closed up shop early and i headed to my sister in law, lindsay’s, to decorate cookies for santa!

NewImage

can we take a minute and admire how adorable my niece, nora, is? LOVE.

NewImage

i had seen a fun thing for magic reindeer food on pinterest, so i brought all the stuff to make it!

magic reindeer food:

NewImage

so simple and so cute! my niece and nephews had fun putting their reindeer food together.

NewImage

momma b and i also had fun putting some magical reindeer food together. santa needs to be sure to stop at our houses, too!

NewImage

not sure what greyson was making, but he was determined!

NewImage

after the cookies and craftiness, my mom and i headed to the grocery store. long time readers may recall that our family delivers groceries and gifts to a family in need every christmas eve. this is something my parents have done since before i was born, so i have literally been doing it my whole life. this year things are pretty hectic and busy on christmas eve, so my mom and i decided to do this traditional act of service tonight instead.

NewImage

we had a great time shopping for a family of six. we got lots of food, toys, beauty products, kitchen gadgets, and other odds and ends.

NewImage

something funny–we wanted to get some stephen’s hot cocoa but everything on the top shelf was sold out or dented.

NewImage

then, after a few minutes struggling to see what was up there, i looked to my left and saw a FULL CART of stephen’s cocoa.

NewImage

umm.. yeah.. the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. momma b and i are two of a kind.

NewImage

once we finished our  shopping we delivered the goodies anonymously. i am so glad we found time to do this act of service. it’s my absolute favorite christmas tradition!

i came home to dinner–marshall had made tacos for us and they were ready and waiting. he’s a babe. we just ate and now we are going to finish off the final season of breaking bad! we have been binge watching it like nobody’s business and i can’t wait to see how it ends! shhh.. don’t tell me.

i hope you all have a wonderful holiday! i may or may not pop in later this week. i do have a lot of time on my hands since i’m off from work, so i hope to fit in a blog post or two!

1. what is your favorite holiday tradition?

2. what do you want santa to bring you this year?

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I love just sitting around the tree on Christmas Eve and visiting with family! Oh and I LOVE going out and looking at lights!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Karey @ Nutty About Health December 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I love the anonymous shopping for a family of 6 idea! It’s such a sweet & thoughtful thing to do! We usually make it a tradition to give something to the local humane society – one year we bought a bunch of raised doggy cots from their wish-list, but usually we bring food & toys/cat litter or give a monetary donation. This year is going to be a monetary donation to do with as they please since time snuck away on us! Happy Holidays!! :)

Pam December 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Merry Christmas! Love the kind Christmas act , thats what Christmas is all about. enjoy the time off with your family.

Julie December 24, 2013 at 12:18 am

So sweet of you to do that for families. We don’t have any holiday traditions… I want a kettlebell!

Carbzilla December 24, 2013 at 1:15 am

Merry Xmas!!! That’s hilarious about the hot chocolate. Is it local? I haven’t heard of it.

We’re trying to come up with new traditions for our new house. sorta awesome that we’re an adult sanctuary this year, and two of Chris’ sisters are coming to spend after-Xmas and NYs Eve

lindsay December 24, 2013 at 6:01 am

love you and your momma! That is one great tradition, never stop!

xxoo

Linz @ Itz Linz December 24, 2013 at 6:26 am

magic reindeer food?! that is the cutest idea ever!!!

Megan @ Meg Go Run December 24, 2013 at 6:39 am

Oh my word I love the cat t-shirts!! My dream is to have one w/ my cats on it. :)

Erica December 24, 2013 at 7:20 am

This is so fabulous. I love love love that your family does this. As you know, we give to the SPCA every Christmas too. I’m looking for something else for us to do (donation wise) during the summer as well. I’m thinking something children related. You look SO natural with that cute baby! Those cat ts? Hilarious. Merry Merry Christmas :) <3 <3

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

So sweet of you to ‘adopt’ a family like that! I can only imagine how grateful the family will be. And I love Greyson’s outfit! ;-)

Nikki @ grabyourkicks December 24, 2013 at 7:52 am

I’ve never heard of Reindeer food. What a great idea for kids! I bet they love it. Have a great Christmas!!

Purelytwins December 24, 2013 at 7:56 am

love you and momma b :)
wahoo for decorating cookies for santa, best part!
Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.
xoxo

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) December 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

magic reindeer food is adorable!! xmas eve we open 1 gift and watch the christmas story :) i hope santa brings me a dress!

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change December 24, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I just want to spend time with family – that is always what I remember most!

Arman @ thebigmansworld December 26, 2013 at 3:29 am

That is such a fantastic gesture you guys do every year- You definitely brightened the holiday period for a family :) I love to do the donation trees where you pick gifts for a certain age group- they have them at our shopping centres!

Hope you guys had a safe and happy Christmas!

Alice @ Daily Sweet Potato December 26, 2013 at 9:15 am

Oh my garsh! I love the idea for Reindeer food! is it weird that I kept reading it as Unicorn food tho??? By the way, I may just have to join you on that tradition of shopping for someone in need. That is so sweet and you and your mom are just too cute!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I love that you guys do that on Christmas/eve!

And that reindeer food is too cute!!

Megan @ Meg Go Run December 29, 2013 at 6:22 am

I had the urge to purge, too! I love throwing stuff out… socks that have no match, older workout clothes that are borderline disgusting… It’s therapeutic!