thanksgiving 2013.

by Janetha on November 30, 2013

in family time

HI!! how are you all? did you have a great holiday?

how about black friday.. did anyone go out and snag some deals? i purchased some stuff from onnit because they had an AMAZING sale. it’s still going on, in fact! we got 4 canisters of the hemp force protein powder (the vanillacai is SO GOOD), a kettlebell/dvd set, a steel bell (those things are COOL), and some alpha brain. haha.. lots of stuff.. but i couldn’t pass up that discount! it goes until monday! get onnit. hehe.

Screen Shot 2013 11 29 at 10 59 15 PM

i also used a birthday gift card to get some stuff from victoria’s secret (thanks michael and sandy!) glad i waited for black friday sales to use it.. i got a way good deal on some leggings and a few other unmentionables.

Screen Shot 2013 11 29 at 11 02 36 PM

i will be hosting another GROUP 24 day challenge starting january 6th. there will be over $1200 in cash and prizes awarded, just like i did with the holiday hustle. i will be blogging all about that challenge next week. can’t wait for another group of inspiring transformations!

i just realized i needed to type up a thanksgiving recap!  i mean, it wouldn’t be right to not recap thanksgiving. i know you’ve read 243 other recaps, but i do this more for me than for you.. truth be told. i have a bad memory and i love to look back at holiday posts!

as much as i wanted to get to the GPP pie burn workout on thanksgiving morning, i wanted to sleep in more. so i did. and then i made zero time for the gym at all. whoops! i did make time to get coffee with my BFF and snag a poinsettia to take to my mom when we went to her house for dinner.

i am loving the starbucks holiday lattes! i get a grande gingerbread latte but i change it up a bit and do 2 pumps gingerbread, no whip, soy milk, and the molasses drizzle. it’s excellent. highly recommended!

NewImage

i was in charge of sweet potatoes and salad for our feast, so i headed home and got to work. i wanted to do both a sweet sweet potato dish and a savory one. for the savory one, i threw together a bunch of stuff and hoped for the best.

NewImage

i layered sliced sweet potatoes in the crock pot along with pearl onions, leeks, goat cheese, parmesan, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. i did about three layers of everything and then put a bit of broth in there for moisture. after a couple hours on high, i switched it to keep warm for an hour and by 2 PM they were perfect!

NewImage

for the sweet sweet potatoes, i boiled the potatoes and mashed them with a few tablespoons of butter, a splash of milk, a few dashes of cinnamon, some brown sugar, and just a touch of salt. i transferred them to a casserole dish and i baked them for about 15 minutes (they were already warm from boiling) and then at the end i sprinkled them with pecans and a layer of marshmallows and broiled it all for less than a minute. had to keep an eye on them so the marshmallows didn’t burn. it’s happened to me before!

NewImage

for the salad, i tossed together arugula, spinach, dried cranberries, sweet & spicy pecans, and goat cheese. super simple salad, but very festive!

NewImage

momma b was in charge of everything else. she’s a wonderful chef! she is a pro at turkey.. we had this big bird for just four of us!

NewImage

well, and the pups. of course they were begging as the turkey was carved. they got a few scraps.. or more than a few.

NewImage

lots of turkey! i like the light meat, my dad LOVES the dark.

NewImage

the rest of the menu included thanksgiving staples…

mandatory pickles & olives

marshall’s favorite fruit salad

mashed potatoes

rolls

green beans

NewImage

and my FAVORITE.. STUFFING. FAVORITE FAVORITE.

NewImage

i loved the table setting.. my mom broke out her mom’s dishes for the occasion. aren’t they beautiful?!

NewImage

i was never able to meet my grandma, but from what my mom tells me, she was an incredible lady. i was happy we were able to enjoy our meal with her there in spirit. the glasses the fruit salad was in were also hers. my mom said those glasses were always reserved for chocolate pudding :)

no table is complete without a pair of my mom’s salt and pepper shakers. she collects them and has some for every occasion!

such a great feast!

NewImage

this only represents 1/16 of the amount of stuffing i ate yesterday. let’s not get started on how much of it i’ve eaten today…

NewImage

it was a lovely dinner with my parents and marshall. i love them all so much!

NewImageNewImage

after dinner the guys retired to the couches for naps and football. my mom and i played many, many rounds of boggle. our favorite game. (not sure why she loves it so much, i kick her butt every time ;) )

NewImage

we took a brief intermission for pumpkin pie! the pie came from costco because it’s the best around, but the whipped cream was whipped by momma b with love–vanilla, sugar, and heavy cream.

NewImage

after pie we played games for a bit more. we busted out the rummikub and my mom won–she must be more of a numbers geek than me!

it was a great thanksgiving celebration. we definitely missed all our other family, hopefully one of these years we can all get together!

NewImage

mmmk.. i am off to answer a few more emails that came in while i was typing this up. i LOVE that we have two more days to the weekend! yay! hope you enjoy yours. we are getting our christmas tree tomorrow, hooray!

1. how did you spend thanksgiving?

2. did you snag any black friday deals?

momma b. November 30, 2013 at 12:42 am

It was another great Thanksgiving celebration! The food and company could not be beat! Thanks for the recaps—- making memories—- I love it!

Yes I love getting my butt kicked….that’s why I keep coming back for more punishment….haha!! ( maybe I am secretly letting you win :-) )

And I love you!

I just happened to go to Target and a couple of sweaters needed a home…so I brought them home with me. 40% off hooray!

lindsay November 30, 2013 at 6:10 am

i miss you momma!

Julie November 30, 2013 at 3:45 am

I didn’t get any Black Friday deals – I almost did but decided against it.

We had a fun Thanksgiving – I was stuffed – but I feel human again today!

RainStorm November 30, 2013 at 4:09 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just an ordinary day at work here in the UK, but all of your yummy food pictures have me starting to get excited about Christmas! I love Christmas dinner with all the side dishes! Can’t wait for stuffing, lots of different veg and a plateful of gravy :)

coco November 30, 2013 at 4:55 am

I spent it with my lovely girls and made a feast for us! :)
No, no shopping trip yet, we’re going today!

Erica November 30, 2013 at 5:52 am

What a great day! The food looks awesome. I think we all have that one dish that keeps us coming back and back and back for more. This year, mine was a butternut squash with shallots. It was amazing. I really didn’t do much shopping yesterday. Kind of hoping to hit up the small business Saturday today and a little cyber Monday as well.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 30, 2013 at 7:03 am

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!!

We started our day with a 5k turkey trot, I ran and the rents walked. It was a lot of fun and a great way to start the day!

My grandma used to collect salt & pepper shakers and when she passed they were given to my parents. We definitely have salt & pepper shakers for every occasion and to have different ones used every year. ;)

Sara November 30, 2013 at 8:05 am

I would totally be on board for the cyber monday blog sale! I wanted to snag it off instagram yesterday but I was so freaking busy at work I didn’t get a chance :( Also up for the Jan 6th 24 day challenge!

Emily @ Adventures of a Dog Mom November 30, 2013 at 8:09 am

I wouldn’t dare go out for Black Friday, I’m not to big on crowds but I will stay at home and eat the leftover stuffing… it’s my fav. part too!

jessiker November 30, 2013 at 8:11 am

Unmentionables – lol..
I went to Old Navy yesterday and got 6 pair of shorts for $0.97 each!! I hope they fit. They won’t until 2015 probably but oh well. Everything in store was 50% off so I got a pair of jeans and two thermal shirts! I spent $32 and walked away with 9 things.
Thanksgiving at my mom’s. Here are the highlights (well my favorite parts)
– GF stuffing. Because stuffing is my FAVORITE.
– Spinach dip with water chestnuts. This is my favorite dip – ever.
– Candied Yams. Also my favorite.
– I made brussel sprouts with bacon, chestnuts, and walnuts. YUM.
– Honey Glazed ham (My mom makes a Turkey and a Ham every year because we’re picky haha. we=me.)
– Jello casserole with whipped cream.
– The appetizer plate including heart of palm (another favorite of mine), okra, olives, baby corn, and a variety of fancy cheese.
– It’s not a special occasion at our house with Martineli’s .

jessiker November 30, 2013 at 8:12 am

without* Martineli’s

Janetha November 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU LEAVE ME COMMENTS!!!! they are the best. ok i NEED that dip recipe because water chestnuts make the world go round. sad.. GF stuffing.. did it taste like sadness? i hope it was kinda good lol. um those brussells sound delicious. lol it made me laugh that you left out the “without” because it made for a funny sentence. I LOVE YOU

Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes November 30, 2013 at 8:17 am

Love those salt and pepper shakers!!!

Pam November 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

I would love for you to have a cyber Monday sale! I am planning on joining the challenge in Jan.

Megan @ Meg Go Run November 30, 2013 at 9:42 am

Aw it looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! I’m glad it was such a great day for you. Enjoy your weekend! :)

sara November 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

That sale makes me sad/mad! I just bought the cleanse, max 3, and thermo. Had I known i would have waited for the 24 challenge! Oh well! Still am excited for the max 3 part to start. I don’t know how you do that fiber drink though its so thick! Its not like it taste bad though just the texture.

Janetha November 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

i’m sorry! i didn’t even know myself haha.

Colleen November 30, 2013 at 11:03 am

I would be interested in a cybermonday advocare sale! A question: I know you are TTC, and I am also hoping for a little one. I’m not pregnant yet, but do you know if the advocare supplements are safe for pregnancy/nursing?

Janetha November 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yes! There is a special 24 Day Challenge for those nursing or pregnant. There is also this helpful PDF: https://www.advocare.com/Microsite/Pdf/agepregnancynursing.pdf

Ashley Kittelsrud November 30, 2013 at 11:09 am

I love reading your posts!! All your food pictures look delicious!

My family combined our Thanksgiving with my boyfriend’s family. Such a good time!

Got a few things from the Black Friday sales, but nothing too spectacular. It was my first year going and I didn’t want to be caught in the midst of the crazy crowds ;)

Did you score any awesome Black Friday deals?

Tamara November 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

J, if you love stuffing and you have a waffle iron, you have to check this out:

Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful for you. xo

Diana November 30, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Looks like you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I especially love the photo of your mom cutting your turkey with the doggies close by. Cute! :)

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com November 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving. We celebrate Thanksgiving in October in Canada and we had a great dinner with my whole family!

I’m excited for your January challenge. I think I will wait to start until then. Thanks again for hosting the sale and sending to me way up North! <3

Debbie (Accidently Delish) November 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

i looks like you had a great thanksgiving!! stuffing is my favorite part of dinner and we seriously just do stove top stuffing, which i happen to love. no shame.

so i have been looking for a good hemp protein and i had never heard of hemp force, but it looks amazing. i love all the added benefits. do you use it as is? just by adding water? or do you mix it in smoothies? i’m very interested in trying it but would love an input since it is kind of expensive. thanks!

Janetha November 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm

It’s delicious as is! I use almond milk and marshall uses whole milk. he does it in a shaker bottle and i use a blender with ice.

Ashley@cupcakesncrunches November 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Those savory sweet potatoes sound incredible!!

& Starbucks holiday lattes…I can’t get enough. We’re actually about to walk the dogs & I just said, “let’s walk by Starbucks! I’m thirsty.”

Happy (late) thanksgiving! :)

Tiffany November 30, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Yes please on advocare special!

Stephanie @ Cat Lady Runs November 30, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I snagged a pair of jeans and pants from Loft at 50% off. I’ve dropped some weight marathon training and needed new ones, so it was a purchase I was glad to make!

Janetha November 30, 2013 at 11:33 pm

good for you!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I scored a few things online for black friday. woot!

Mmmm thanksgiving food/time is the best. Looks like another great one for you guys is in the books!

Sara December 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I’d be interested in a Cyber Monday sale!

Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I enjoyed my mother’s cherry pie (we’re odd and don’t do pumpkin in my family…and all of America gasped!) and spent time lounging around. It was wonderful!

Janetha December 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm

haha we just snagged a cherry pie from whole foods! i am all pumpkin-ed out! i just posted about my sale! :)

Nicole C December 2, 2013 at 10:24 am

We went to San Deigo for 4 days so I could have Thanksmas with my Mom. I got her an ipad for Christmas and figured Thanksgiving would be a good time to give it to her since I won’t be around for xmas. She’s was in shock, she doesn’t have a smart phone or anything. Her ipad was the only good deal I got but I did zero black friday shopping.

Funny thing, when we stopped at Chiptole in Barstow on the way back, I saw a girl that looked really familiar. Turns out, it was your sister in law and brother. Small world. Your neice was staring at Ben’s beard. Haha!

Janetha December 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

oh my gosh that is too funny! i love it! did you say anything to them? haha!

Nicole C December 2, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Nope, we had just walked in and it looked like they were ready to bolt out of there. Chiptole, in Barstow, at lunch time is not a fun place to be. Ironic though. :)

calee @ life + running December 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

DANG! I missed this. I was unplugged most of Friday. I really wanted to do the cleanse again. That was great!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie December 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I spent thanksgiving in the NICU working, but afterwards I headed to my parents where my mom’s side of the family was all there waited with pumpking pie! haha. not a bad way to end a 12 hour shift