5 workout must-haves.

by Janetha on November 24, 2013

in product review

hello! happy sunday night. it sure is a good thing it’s a 3-day work week coming up, because this weekend did NOT have any downtime! i worked at the expo all day friday and saturday, which meant today was left for running errands and grocery shopping. i did manage to squeeze in a manicure/pedicure, though, so there was a little relaxing included in my day! just not quite as much as i’d hoped. ha.

so.. the expo was fun! thanks to those of you who came by to say hello. sorry if i looked like a zombie, promise i am usually more peppy! the what a woman wants expo has a LOT of random stuff. i had a chance to wander the aisles and browse the booths. i walked away with a few fun purchases!

i swear every other booth was selling crazy leggings. i snagged a few pair that caught my eye…

NewImage

i also scored this knit scarf for ten bucks.

NewImage

i was excited to see that swoob had a booth at the expo. they are a utah-local workout gear manufacturer. they specialize in sports bras that have a special pocket for your cell phone!

Screen Shot 2013 11 24 at 8 43 59 PM

here’s a better pic from their website:

Screen Shot 2013 11 24 at 7 52 41 PM

i know some of you are going to scold me for putting my phone in my bra when i work out.. *cough*mom*cough*.. but i am stoked on this bra! i put my phone in there anyway, so i am happy to have a sports bra that accommodates my habit. it’s a clever company name–swoob combines “sweaty” and “boob” in case you didn’t catch onto that. terms like swoobs and swass are common in my vocabulary. anyway, i am pumped to try this bra out! i haven’t hit the gym since last tuesday (whoops!), but you bet i will be heading there tomorrow. i hope i didn’t forget how to work out…

speaking of work out attire, i have been meaning to share my top 5 workout gear MUST HAVES.

NewImage

contigo water bottle.

if you have read my blog for more than, oh, a few months, you know i am obsessed with contigo water bottles. i have tried many a water bottle in my day, but nothing compares to my trusty contigo water bottles. they legit make drinking water a better experience! that sounds weird, but if you have one of these babies you know what i am talking about. but it HAS to be the auto seal lid. i hate the lids that have the straw. i don’t even know why contigo messed with making those, because their autoseal lids are where it’s at! (they also make the most perfect coffee mug that will keep your coffee hot all damn day.)

NewImage

you can find them online or at target. i have also seen them at bed, bath, and beyond before, too.

lululemon speed shorts.

NewImage

some people knock on lulu because of the prices, but i have to say that the only workout shorts i like are lululemon speed shorts. i am a shortie, clocking in at 5’1″, and most shorts are too long for my short legs. these have the perfect inseam. the waistband is wide and soft, the fabric is top notch, and i can move very well in the shorts. i have bigger legs and a big butt (yup) and they are roomy and not confining at all! they also have a built in liner which is a plus. they aren’t incredibly expensive, either. they are about $50–considering how well they are made and how long they will last, i don’t think that’s a bad price tag at all. due to my bigger legs and butt, i do size up in these. i wear a 4 in all other lulu stuff but a 6 in speeds. just an FYI.

NewImage

the only complaint i have is that when they come out with new, unique fabric patterns, once they sell out of that pattern you can NEVER get it again. i get it–it’s marketing brilliance–because you don’t have time to think the purchase over.. you either have to buy right away or miss the boat. then if you ever want to get that sought-after pattern, you would have to buy it for an arm and a leg on ebay. some rare patterns sell for $200 or more! crazy talk.

anyway.. i love speeds. i have about 8 pairs and never get sick of em. i even wear them through the winter, since i work out indoors.

beats by dre studio headphones.

NewImage

i stole these from marshall! shhh.. haha. i had seen lots of people wearing these headphones at my gym, even running on the treadmill with them. when marshall bought a pair for himself, i stole them to try out at the gym. i was immediately hooked and vowed to never give them back. they deliver the BEST sound and they stay put no matter what your workout is! they are kinda pricy, but they do have a warranty and i think a solid pair of headphones is a good thing to invest in! otherwise you will keep buying crappy ones over and over.

Screen Shot 2013 11 24 at 8 44 53 PM

i wish marshall’s fave color was purple and not green ;) haha, but it’s ok, they work the same! oh, and i listen to pandora while i am at the gym. obviously i use my phone to play my tunes (which is why i wanted that swoob bra to begin with!)  i used to make playlists, but pandora is so much easier because i can pick what i am in the mood for and it makes my playlist for me! some go-to stations are millencolin, saves the day, tegan & sara, and aesop rock.

cheap socks from target.

Screen Shot 2013 11 24 at 8 47 15 PM

i recently threw out all my other socks and only wear these ones that are like a buck per pair at target. i had the expensive socks made by nike, new balance, adidas, etc.. but i really don’t love any of them! even my lululemon $14 socks (way too expensive for a pair of socks but i caved to see the hype one time) slip down around my foot when i am running or jumping around. the target cheapies stay in place and are the perfect thickness and breathability. i know, who thinks so much about their socks? this girl.

bobby pins.

NewImage

i have bangs, as you know, and i cannot work out with them down. i have to pin them back. i have tried a lot of headbands (the only two i like are the bang buster by lulu and bamr bands) but nothing compares to a couple of bobby pins. headbands slip off and can be a pain in the butt, but bobby pins are super reliable and never let me down. i always make sure to keep a few extras with me at all times!

well, i gotta go eat dinner. we are having pepperoni & goat cheese pizza!

NewImage

mmmmm. marshall started cutting it and i said wait! picture! haha.

have a great monday!

1. what are some of your workout must haves?

2. what are your favorite workout tunes?

Momma b November 24, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Gosh at least have the screen pointed away from your boob please ☺️!

I love your purple shorts that I have on loan

jodie November 24, 2013 at 10:16 pm

My 32oz narrow mouth Nalgene and The Mat.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats November 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I bought my one and only pair of Lululemon pants a month ago. Now given the comments made by the CEO I will never purchase from them again, what he said was just so offensive. :/

I will have to check out those water bottles they sound awesome! On the weekends I don’t drink enough water and so maybe a new water bottle will help me remember to drink more.

I am drooling over that pizza picture.

I love anything Calvin Harris to work out too and I am also loving anything by Lorde at the moment for something a bit more chill

Livi November 24, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I need some cushioned socks and high impact sports bras! got to stay comfy + in place :)!

ML Bishop November 24, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I got totally offended by the lulu CEO too, @ Jan.

Janetha I am obsessed with those cheapy target socks too. I usually wait till designs are on clearance and I get ’em for like 26 cents (seriously bought up the whole store when they got that cheap!)

lorie November 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Love the leggings what material are they? i got some crazy ones on line and can’t find them anymore. Does anyone know a brand or where to get some?

Janetha November 24, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I’m not sure what material they are.. and there is no tag inside to tell me! Check this page out.. http://www.agnesanddora.com

Julie November 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Goat cheese pizza is the best. I could never work out with my hair down! Shorts are the toughest for me as well because I’m short too (5’2-5’3) and have thick legs too.

Bonnie November 24, 2013 at 11:12 pm

YUM goat cheese pizza! I’d add a jump rope (although not a piece of clothing, still one of my workout must-have’s!). Love those speed shorts from lulu too! Bought 2 pairs of those Target socks in the States (it IS different here; not as good and not as cheap!) for $1 each and am kicking myself for not buying more… And wow, what a weekend! Hope you rest up tonight and have a great short week… Happy Thanksgiving if I don’t say it later! :D

Megan @ MegGoRun November 25, 2013 at 6:04 am

Omg I can’t believe it I actually have something on your list! I NEVER have the “must have” haha! I have the Contigo water bottle. I got it at Wal Mart. I love it. :) I carry it around with me all day and it helps me drink more water. I still need to drink more, though :)

MizFit November 25, 2013 at 6:44 am

I LOVE those leggings.
and am addicted to BLACKMILK for those, too.

Linz @ Itz Linz November 25, 2013 at 6:57 am

comfy capris! working out in capris are my favorite (i’m so not a shorts fan) so they’d def be on my list :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 25, 2013 at 7:20 am

I’m a Thor-lo sock girl! For about 20 years now!!

Erica November 25, 2013 at 7:25 am

mmmm. That pizza looks so so good. Love your list! I will have to try their shorts (since you know I’m a shortie too). I usually buy the cheap socks from Target, but since I’ve been logging longer runs- I finally purchased a few good pairs of running socks!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 25, 2013 at 7:37 am

Good to know about the Target socks! I hate it when socks slide down around my foot when I’m running around. I’m still on the fence about Lulu and whether or not to continue supporting them (yes, the CEO is a jackass but I’m sure the vast majority of his employees don’t support or agree with his philosophy) but if I do, I’ll keep the shorts in mind.

Corrie Anne November 25, 2013 at 7:59 am

i hate it when i miss a good lulu pattern!!!!!!! i love tall socks lately for weightlifting and rope climbing @ crossfit.

betty (the sweaty betty) November 25, 2013 at 8:56 am

i loooove the lp3 headbands. you should try them out, they stay on, even on my big head! plus they help from getting sweat in my eyes when i’m doing stupid shit like the stairmill. I looooove the leggings!

how do the beats keep up with sweating? I’d be so worried i’d ruin them but sweating too much. I have a pair from target that look kinda like the beat style and they haven’t let me down yet!

Janetha November 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

i won one from mshell but A) i don’t love the colors and B) i can’t figure out how to wear it so my bangs aren’t sticking up out the back of it. lol i may have to try again! i don’t sweat a TON, but so far they have held up well!

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) November 25, 2013 at 9:26 am

i do biological research at a cancer center. please don’t stash your phone in your bra dear xx (end PSA haha). my workout must haves are those twofer tops from target (champion line) that have the shelf bra built in and loose flowy bottom. also, good tunes! lately, i’ve been listening to warpaint radio or the vitalic station if i want EDMX.

Ashley@cupcakesncrunches November 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

Cracking up at “swoob” – such a genius invention!

My (outdoor) workout must haves…
A garmin (for running)
Ear warmers (now that it is freezing in NYC)

I see those headphones everywhere now! I want to try them but I feel like I would look silly in them…my nephew has a pair & he confirmed my fears when he said, “Aunt Ashley, I’m not sure you’re cool enough for these.”

Janetha November 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

hahahaha i am dying at that comment!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’ve got to have a comfortable arm band for my phone. I need music while I work out, especially while I run and those days I forget my arm band, just don’t fly.

calee November 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

those leggings are rad!

speed shorts are my favorite too. i wear the living crap out of the pair i bought from you forever ago. i need about a million other pairs.

Mary (A Merry Life) November 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

Target socks are totally my favorite too! I love the random patterns and they seem to be the best socks I’ve found for staying in place. :)

Laura M November 25, 2013 at 1:24 pm

beats by dre are my number one thing on my christmas list this year – gotta have ’em! i originally wanted them for work (loud office and concentrating don’t mix), but now im thinking i want them for the gym, too! good to know they stay put while running

Megan @ Fiterature November 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Ditto on the speed shorts, sister!

maria @ run lift life November 25, 2013 at 2:14 pm

The only socks I like to workout in are these unisex ones made by Adidas. Just about everything else gives me blisters or feel like I’m slogging through sweat… ick. :)

Kristy @ Southern In Law November 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I’m with you – my workout socks are cheap ones as I’m always losing them! Who wants to pay $14 for a pair of socks and then only find one of those socks two weeks later ;P

One of my workout must haves is a good headband – I have crazy hair, especially if it’s rainy or humid so a headband is a must have – and in winter, I get awful ear aches from running/walking outside in the cold so I make sure my headbands are thick enough to cover my ears too!

Jen@PregnantDiabetic November 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm

We love Contigo water bottles, they really are the best!

sanaz@runforcake November 26, 2013 at 8:57 am

I love those shorts! At first I thought they were too short but they knew what they were doing when they designed those perfect running shorts! I have been eyeing that water bottle and I am going to just buy it already because I see it everywhere! Love this list :)

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl November 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Yeah… I don’t think that bra would work well for me, lol.

Workout essentials: puma socks (I got a ton of cheapies at Marshall’s), Moving Comfort bra, Garmin (for outdoor runs), BIC bands. :)

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 26, 2013 at 5:10 pm

workout must haves would be some good tunes! I can always tell when a good song comes on, I pick up the pace!

Cassie November 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Lulu Speed Shorts have changed my life. A more perfect pair of running shorts has never been created.