three things thursday: appointments to schedule.

by Janetha on November 21, 2013

in tips

hello! happy thursday! it’s like my friday.. but not really.. you see, today was my last day at work for the week, but i will be working a booth at the what a woman wants expo all day friday and saturday! so it’s going to be a busy next couple of days. i am sure i will be happy come sunday. if you are a utah local and would like to come to the show (for free!) let me know your email and i will send you as many tickets as you need! if you are at the show, i will be at booth #719.. come say hi!

i have had a pretty crazy week. i’ve been getting ready for the expo and work has also been a nightmare for some reason. we have had a lot of extra work and a dash of drama that has added stress. coincidentally, on the most stressful day (tuesday) i randomly received some beautiful flowers!

there was no card, so i didn’t know who they came from… but i later found out marshall had sent them. i hadn’t even told him about my rough day, so either he’s psychic or just a total babe. or both. love that guy.

my mom brought me a cute block as a souvenir from cali. i LOVE the quote and i need to remember it during stressful weeks like this one!

on the upside, we did get to check out an early showing of the new hunger games last night.

i loved it! i hadn’t read the second book, so i didn’t know what to expect. (and i didn’t have any expectations to be let down on—total plus.) if you are in the market for a good movie, check it out. i also saw thor the other weekend and loved it, too, so there’s another recommendation for you.

speaking of recommendations… i have been meaning to write this three things thursday post for quite some time. there are appointments we schedule all the time for our health—the dentist, the OBGYN, the physician.. all these doctors make sure we are in good health. but i have three appointments to schedule that i want to recommend to you. they are appointments for your health that you may be overlooking!

1. body composition analysis.

i have had my body fat checked multiple times in the past. there is a bodpod up at the U of U and it’s $25 to get checked. i think body fat is the best indicator of being at a healthy weight. the scale (your overall weight) means NOTHING. so many people get hung up on how much they weigh, but they aren’t taking into account how much of that weight is fat and how much is everything else—muscle, bones, organs, water, blood, etc.

i weigh over 10 lbs more now than when i finished body for life, yet i am the same size in clothing. the difference? i have more muscle. and, since muscle is more dense than fat, i am still the same size. (no, muscle doesn’t weigh more than fat.. a pound is a pound.. it is just more dense.)

anyway, if you get your body fat analysis done, it will tell you if you are in a healthy range or in a risky range—both too low of body fat and too high of body fat.

IMG 9721IMG 9722

if you possess too much or little body fat, that can lead to several health complications. see if there is a place that offers body composition analysis in your area—it’s the best way to gauge you weight. throw that pesky scale away if it’s keeping you up at night!

2. dermatologist.

i have talked about my skin in the past. i have a lot of moles and have had almost 20 removed in my lifetime. the most recent removal was a couple years ago, but i just discovered that one mole on my hand that i had removed is back! eep.

i am going to schedule another appointment with my dermatologist. i am bad, because i should go annually, but i skipped a year. since this one has come back, i am going to make a point of it to get a full body scan annually just to make sure there is nothing to worry about.

most people i know have never been to a dermatologist. lots of people go only if they have something already wrong.. but it’s definitely important to go for preventative measures. with the thousands of deaths from melanoma every year, it’s better to be safe than sorry!

3. therapist.

guys, mental health is important! i went to a therapist as a teenager for a bit, but of course i had a bad attitude about it and thought it was forced and i was there against my will, so i didn’t get much out of it. however, as an adult, i have seen two different therapists for marital issues. it has been nothing but a positive experience.

when my husband and i ran into some conflict in our marriage, we found someone to see. it really opened our eyes and made us look at our (then problematic) marriage in a whole new light. when we were throwing our hands in the air saying we were done, she gave us the tools we needed to turn things around. additionally, we learned things about ourselves that we definitely would not have recognized had a therapist not pointed them out. there was a lot of self realization within the walls of that therapy room and my mental health improved a great deal.

later down the road, we had some other issues to address. nothing like the first time, where we were convinced divorce was the answer, but just some stuff that we knew we couldn’t handle on our own. so we found a new therapist (the other one had decreased her clients) and we actually clicked with him VERY well. we went into the sessions with an open mind, ready and willing to get help to figure out our problems.

just like with physical health problems, mental and emotional problems sometimes need the help of a professional in order to fix them. when i was a teenager, i thought i was above therapy.. but as an adult, i realize the value in seeking help to deal with whatever crap you may be dealing with in your head. and i’m not talking just for marriage—but for everything! yes, we were seeing one for our marriage, but it was also beneficial for lots of other issues we had no idea how to deal with. i am a much happier, mentally healthier person because of it.

if you are dealing with some crap in your head, get some help! even a session or two can work wonders.

those are my three recommendations to you (and to myself!) i definitely have some other health-related appointments in the near future.. but “three” goes well with “thursday” and i don’t have thirteen to list… so.. yeah. sucker for alliteration right here!

i won’t have time to check in until sunday… so have a WONDERFUL weekend!

1. have you had any of these three appointments recently?

2. are there any health-related appointments you have coming up?

Becky @ Olives n Wine November 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the appointment reminders! I too see a derm annually but skipped last year, eep… I have been meaning to schedule an annual check now with a new derm now that I’ve moved to Chicago but have been avoiding it. Looks like it’ll be on my calendar to-do list tomorrow!

Ashley@cupcakesncrunches November 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I just love everything about this post…the flowers…the awesome sign…the great reminders! I just went to the dermatologist in September.

& I love your take on therapy. I couldn’t agree more – having a professional 3rd party put things into perspective can be a life changer. I’ve been to therapy & I think as long as you find the right therapist it is a wonderful thing.

Erica November 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Those flowers are GORGEOUS! I need to get to the derm…I haven’t really ever been and I have tons of freckles

Caroline November 21, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Those flowers are SO pretty! What perfect timing to receive them too. I’m so glad that you found going to therapy so helpful! I’m a counselor, so I’m always happy to hear when it’s been so beneficial to others. I think that we each can use counselors from time to time to process our junk of life with and get an alternative perspective. Good for you two to get the help and support needed instead of just walking away…

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I’ve never been to a dermatologist, but considering that I’m naturally super pale and have had a ton of sunburns in my life, it’s something I should really start doing.
Definitely agree with you on the therapy note – I refused to go as a teenager when I really should of, but I went for about a year when I was 20 and I would not be where I am without it.

Presley @ Run Pretty November 21, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I need to go to the dermatologist! It’s so easy to put it on the back burner.

Cassie November 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Just went to the derm last week.. I turned 24 and my skin went out of control. It’s finally getting back in shape though!

I think I’m going to see an acupuncturist soon…I’ve always wanted to try!

Pam November 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Glad to see the talk on mental health – talking about it helps break down the stigma. I had been seeing a therapist for few months earlier this year and it helped me a lot to work through some anxiety and coming to terms with some situations in my life. It can be very helpful having an objective person to talk to!

Also love the flowers and sign from your mom! Have fun at the expo!!

Cara November 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Your honesty makes me so happy. You made my night. Thank you for saying the right thing at the right time. I hope to be as brave as you. I hear it actually helps. ;-)

Angela November 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Janetha,

Your posts are always spot on. I know “mental health” is an issue that not many ppl talk about. It’s silly bc we all deal with it at some point. Anyways, I’m a big believer in getting the proper help – whether it’s from a dermatologist or a therapist. I’ve been dealing with some things in life that have made me “not me”, and I’m wanting to get back to who I was. Probably means it’s time to contact a therapist – since it’s been over 2 months and I haven’t “snapped out of it”. Thanks for sharing this with us. (I still owe you my Holiday Hustle recap!)

xoxox!
Angela

Julie November 21, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I often neglect these appointments but really should see all of them!

coco November 22, 2013 at 4:55 am

I’ve never seen a therapist my life but I can totally see how I’d benefit from it. It’s always nice to talk to someone who’s not in your life and who can give you another perspective. The thing is… how do you find a good one? it’s not like you ask for a dentist recommendation.

Jenn @ Be Me November 22, 2013 at 5:26 am

Thank you so much for including your honesty about therapy! As a therapist myself, I always love hearing how beneficial therapy can be for others. I know that many spend so much time being physically healthy but little time being mentally and emotionally healthy and I know they can have all 3!!!!!

Linz @ Itz Linz November 22, 2013 at 6:04 am

i’m a huge advocate of therapists! i went in high school and college and always seemed to enjoy them (if that makes sense? they really truly helped me), now i haven’t seemed to need them, but i’m not opposed if i ever do again!

Betty November 22, 2013 at 6:19 am

I’m sitting waiting to go to the dentist this morning. Blah I hate it. I thought about the derm the other day, and about how I should use it as a preventative before anything goes wrong. Id also like get my body fat checked throughout my weight loss journey. It’d be fun to compare the numbers, esp towards the end.

lindsay November 22, 2013 at 6:37 am

therapists are literally life savers. My husband and i went to one to help me cope with my anxiety and gut issues. I think it helped our marriage and my issues! I thank GOD every day for that!

MizFit November 22, 2013 at 6:38 am

OH THE QUOTE ABOUT JUNK
you have me with that (((gazes at arms laden with crap))).

Livi November 22, 2013 at 8:30 am

such a great reminder! Taking care ourselves– especially our mental health is key to a full life!

Katie November 22, 2013 at 8:43 am

Aww sweet flowers. A total babe indeed.

I’ve never even been to a dermatologist. Eek. Probably should.

I have baby appts bi-weekly now, which seems excessive, but I’m glad to be doing it. :-) Happy Friday, love.

Megan @ MegGoRun November 22, 2013 at 8:46 am

Health related appointments… I have to start physical therapy on my knee! :( I hate PT, but hopefully it helps!

Emily R November 22, 2013 at 9:45 am

I completely agree with you – there is NOTHING wrong with seeing a therapist, and at times it’s totally necessary! We see doctors all the time for our physical health; what about our mental health? Sometimes people can’t figure out everything on their own, sometimes you simply need someone to start the conversation for you (like with marriage counseling). I’m glad it worked for you and Marshall!

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl November 22, 2013 at 9:58 am

I need to get a skin check done soon. And yes yes yes YES to seeing a therapist. I went to one when I was in the early stages of the implosion of my last relationship and it was SO helpful to have her with me. I’ve thought about going back just to handle some residual stuff that still bothers me. Sometimes you need a totally unbiased, trained professional to help you figure out things. I’m so happy to hear you and Marshall are doing infinitely better both as a couple and individually! <3

PS – If I plan to head out your way for another snow trip, I'll let you know! I had so much fun last time!

Nicole C November 22, 2013 at 10:13 am

I really wish I had remembered about the bod pod test at the University, Blend would have been a great time to do that. Dang it! We have one here but they charge at least double for it. I asked UNLV too and well, they just suck in general so I got nowhere fast.

The only appointment I have is for my hair! Heather does it and she has a psychology degree so it’s like a 2 for 1.

jessiker November 22, 2013 at 11:19 am

You’re such a rockstar. True facts. And you’re a lean machine, my favorite bean, you’re never mean, maybe you’re born with it maybe it’s maybelline?

Cassie @RedLetterDaye November 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

Props for seeking therapy! I saw a therapist a few years back when i realized my ED (i.e., a <6% in the BodPOD….woof.) and other self-destructive behaviors were not really about food or exercise, but about control that I needed, as I felt my life was not in my control, and bottling things up. I figured a lot of it out on my own, but my inability to let go of things really came between my relationship with my boyfriend (we ended up breaking up). I'm not sure exactly how long I saw my therapist, but even just the act of talking about things, to an unbaised outsider was so helpful. I highly recommend counseling to ANYONE, as we are all struggling with something at some point. I also work in Suicide Prevention, and we always encourage help seeking and try to break down the stigma that mental health services aren't just about being "crazy." It takes strength to admit there's a problem, and ask for help, whether it's suicide marital issues, or childhood crap you never dealt with and is creeping back up on you. PS, I feel like a whole new person now, on my own and in a relationship–my boyfriend and I got back together, and now we are living together. I'd be lying if I said I didnt' owe some of that to therapy.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I just want to give you a hug for this post!!
I’ve actually never had my body fat measured (in an accurate way.) I should have one of the trainers at my gym do it!
I’ve gotten one mole removed, and although it was not cancerous, it brought peace of mind.
I’ve never been to therapy, but I’m m sure I have a couple issues that I’ve never talked to with anyone that I could be dealt with a not-so-internal manner.

YesLifeLove November 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Amen to therapy being an awesome help! I went in college, for a while in my mid-twenties, and then for a quick stint in my late twenties. SUCH a huge help and I think everyone should try it at least once.

And yes, I’m pregnant, so medical appointments are all over my calendar, plus I think I’m going to have a sleep study done, because it seems I may have mild sleep apnea! This has been the year of the doctor’s appointments, that’s for sure.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I love that he sent you flowers!

Therapy is def awesome–I went to it during my disordered eating days, and it helped a ton.

And I love the bod pod– I ran that analyses for years at the Y. So fun seeing people in that pod. hahaha

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 22, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Such a great post Janetha. I hope today was better than yesterday. Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! Have fun at the expo.

Honestly, I’m four years past due for my colonoscopy. I will deal with that next year…

sofia November 23, 2013 at 7:24 am

yay, therapy! :) i fully support.

Ashley November 25, 2013 at 11:37 am

Ah such good reminders. I have been meaning to get to the bod pod!

Katie D. November 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm

hey! I’m an IG follower of yours and blog stalker :)

This summer was brutal emotionally. Between infertility treatments (endless cycles of hope and disappointment), my parent’s divorce, work unhappiness and becoming my dad’s care taker (numerous physical issues and severe mental illness), I felt crushed and like I couldn’t breath.

Thankfully I work in a mental health agency and have plenty of access to “free” therapy from my co-workers. But even then, I was considering a paid person to get a different perspective.

Glad to hear someone else talk about the need for good mental health! :)