sunday surfin’.

by Janetha on November 17, 2013

in humor,recipes

hi! happy sunday evening. my husband falls asleep on the couch around 8 PM every night, and i am wide awake. it could have something to do with the fact that he was up at 6:30 today and i rolled out of bed at 11:41. (yup.) so i am left to do things like surf the internet.. paint my nails.. bake cookies.. eat cookies.. you know. so instead of baking and eating cookies (which is what i did on friday) or painting my nails (i actually just finished) i decided to surf the internet. because baking more cookies is out of the questions. i had cookies for breakfast yesterday and today. and for dessert. and i went to yogurtland twice yesterday. yup.

sooo.. interwebs it is. turns out most posts right now are ALL THINGS THANKSGIVING. i love love love thanksgiving! it’s always fun to see spins on the traditional favorites. marshall and i are going to my parents’ this year–it’ll be just the four of us. the downfall? no need to make an enormous feast (something i specialize in, even when not required..) the upside? we can get a little creative with our dishes! sometimes when you bring experimental recipes to the thanksgiving table, it’s frowned upon. folks can be real sticklers for traditional dishes. trust me–i am a stickler when it comes to the stuffing. it HAS to be my mom’s, or it’s just not thanksgiving ;)

i found quite a few fun festive dishes and i definitely want to try a couple of them for our thanksgiving celebration! and, if they don’t make it to the table on thanksgiving day, these would surely be good any day of the week.

spicy pumpkin soup with croutons and crispy fried onions.

NewImage

shaved brussels sprouts salad.

NewImage

roasted sweet potatoes with red onions and feta.

NewImage

green beans with caramelized onions.

NewImage

thanksgiving tater tots with dijon gravy.

NewImage

cranberry spice cake.

NewImage

vanilla roasted pears with bourbon cream and glazed pecans.

NewImage

yum. i guess i can’t really make it all…

now that you are hungry.. let’s switch gears and make you laugh.

have you guys checked out gizoogle.net?!?!

Screen Shot 2013 11 17 at 8 59 22 PM

if not, go there! you type in your search terms.. as ya do..

Screen Shot 2013 11 17 at 8 59 37 PM

and then it spits out the gangsta slang version of the website you searched for. i was IN TEARS reading my blog in homie speak.

Screen Shot 2013 11 17 at 9 00 08 PM

i then proceeded to convert several of my friends’ blogs and send them the links so they could have a good laugh as well. such a time sucker, but so dang funny! (FYI it drops the F bomb a LOT.)

anyway.. definitely good for a laugh!

some other things that have caught my eye while surfing the interwebs…

in other news, my friends and i have a booth at the upcoming what a woman wants expo! it’s on friday and saturday at the south towne expo center. we will have an advocare booth! we are giving out samples so come by booth 719 and say hi!

NewImage

amanda, kerryne, and i were busy all day saturday putting stuff together for the show. in addition to sampling product, we will have a lot of advocare stuff for sale. typically you have to order online and pay shipping, but we have a lot on hand for sale at a discounted price AND you don’t have to worry about paying shipping. we will have spark, slam, meal replacement shakes, cleanses, carb blockers, and more! we put together a bunch of sampler bags that have five different products in them so you can try them out and see if you like them before you commit to buying. we also put together spark sampler packs so you can try five flavors before buying a whole box or canister of one flavor. there’s definitely something for everyone!

if you are thinking about doing the new you before the new year 24 day challenge, we will have challenge bundles there for you to pick up as well!

the show is a lot of fun. there are gifts, clothes, jewelry, health and fitness products, beauty products, crafts, and lots more! if you want some free tickets, please let me know and i will be sure to get you as many as you need! grab your girlfriends for a fun little outing and get some of your holiday shopping done while you are at it!

ohhhkay.. i guess i will get ready for bed. everyone else in the house is already asleep, i may as well join them. 5:30 AM on monday always hits me pretty hard!

have a fab week :)

1. what is your favorite thanksgiving dish? are you making anything unique this year?

2. what was the last thing you laughed at?

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats November 17, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I am checking out that ’13 things mentally strong ppl do’ link now as it sounds like a good one! I also need to check out that gangsta convertor website too as it sounds like a funny one :)

We don’t do thanksgiving here in Australia so I am more counting down to Christmas.

Last thing I laughed at was the fact that there is a gangsta convertor website ;)

Trisha November 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Gizoogle.net might be my very favorite thing. Ever. Seriously hilarious!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia November 18, 2013 at 12:12 am

those are some good good recipe links :) thanks for sharing! and thank you for pointing out Gizoogle! talk about fun! x

Erica November 18, 2013 at 5:10 am

I need to make that shaved brussels salad- yum! My favorite Thanksgiving dish is cranberry sauce. We make a raw version (a recipe thats been in my family for ages). I get excited for it every year ;)

Abi@AbsofSteel November 18, 2013 at 5:57 am

Pumpkin pie is always my favorite! I’m going to have to try gizoogle now, looks freakin hilarious

Linz @ Itz Linz November 18, 2013 at 6:29 am

gizoogle?!?! LOL!!!!

MizFit November 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

ahh you know I am SO SO SO YOUR HUSBAND.
well.
9pm but still :-)

Livi November 18, 2013 at 7:01 am

haha reading my last blog post from Gizoogle…it’s too funny!

Megan November 18, 2013 at 7:23 am

That pumpkin soup is amazing. I don’t think anyone would be sad if I brought that to Thanksgiving… as long as I also brought my green bean casserole! I put tomatoes in mine, which is as far out and crazy as I get on Thanksgiving!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

I’ll have to check out that Gizoogle thing, it sounds hilarious! We had our Thanksgiving last month (woot Canadian!) and my family tends to be sticklers with the main stuff (always need stuffing, turkey, roast beef or ham, mashed potatoes) but we get a little more creative with desserts.

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) November 18, 2013 at 8:27 am

i love this raw vegan cranberry-pom relish i make. it’s a huge hit with both our families! i love gizoogle too, hours lost to reading stuff there haha. last thing i laughed at was probably something stupid i did.

LG November 18, 2013 at 9:53 am

The last thing I laughed at was the Rob Ford sketch on SNL this week. Oh my. Poor Toronto.

Nicole C November 18, 2013 at 10:08 am

Oh damn, that gizoogle is hilarious!! Hahaaaa! That was fo sho the last thing I laughed at.

When I was little I hated thanksgiving food. I had my mom make me burritos. Not much has changed in that department. We are going to San Diego and are in charge of sides. I think sweet potato casserole is going to be the show stopper. My favorite dish is apple pie though :)

Tamara November 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love your food links: brussels sprouts and tots, I needs them!

Carbzilla November 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Laughed at (stick with me bc it’s gonna sound super not-funny before it gets funny): I was listening to a story on the radio about supplies finally getting to the Philippines and the gal was saying that they were getting rice and canned vegetables and meat and No-Doz…” and, alone in my car, I started to say OUT LOUD “No-Doz?!?! What the heck? Those poor people need to sleep between all this disaster and clean-up. Why would they want to be awake? That is awful! What are they thinking?!?!”

Then it suddenly occurred to me that she had said “noodles.”

I was hysterical (still, by myself, in my car).

kristine November 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm

omg gizoogle is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i’m laughing at the spinning rims!!!!
also i was JUST looking at two recipes in a mag this weekend for shaved brussels sprouts salad and roasted sweet potatoes with red onions and feta. hmmmm we’re all on the same page (of the same magazine!!) BUT you had me at tater tot dijon goodness. i think i might just have to add that to our thanksgiving menu this year. wowzers!!! have a great day!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I’m pretty sure Shane and Marshall would be best friends. I always nod when you talk about him, and here I am nodding again! Shane always falls asleep on the couch around 8 (after ice cream) and I’m left wide awake, haha.
And YES to Gizoogle. Hilarious.
Last thing I laughed at was the stream of youtube videos some friends and I were watching last night. Ahhh the Boston Terrior who’s ticklish – so freakin’ funny.

Janetha November 19, 2013 at 10:40 am

we need to get them together!

Annette@FitnessPerks November 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm

That gizoogle thing is HILArious!!! haha a.

I might want a ticket or two for the expo….do you still have 2? thanks!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm

my favorite thanksgiving dish is the sweet potatoes! And that google site is HILARIOUS! I will have to go see what my blog looks like haha

jessiker November 22, 2013 at 11:34 am

SPEAKING OF TATER TOTS!!!! I’m gonna make those. Fo Shizzle.

Jessica December 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm

omg homey speak google. i’m dying. pretty much my favorite thing on the internets effective NOW! :)