odds & ends.

by Janetha on November 15, 2013

in random rambles,recipes,tips

heyyy guys! happy friday to you. it’s cold and gloomy and rainy here in SLC. it’s been unseasonably warm—it even hit the 70s earlier in the week—so this onset of temps in the 30s is a little surprising. that’s utah for ya. i plan to bundle up in a blanket tonight and not move a single inch.

i thought i would do a post of odds & ends that i have been meaning to share lately! no rhyme or reason.. just STUFF.

so, i saw this video the other day about the RIGHT way to eat an apple. like.. you eat the whole apple.. core and all. not the stem, and not the seeds, but everything else!

so i decided to give it a shot. i have now eaten two apples this way and it’s amazing!

haha.. so random.. and why isn’t everyone doing this?? i also like to eat grapefruit peeled like an orange, which is probably pretty common, but not the norm.

instagram is so great for recipes! it’s seriously such a good resource and i find recipes and meal inspiration on there daily. i saw this on my friend brit’s feed and i NEED to make!

YUM.

soo.. it’s no secret i hate cardio. but when i was at GPP i did the cardio because it was built into the workouts. before that, i had to FORCE myself to do the cardio. now that i am doing the mshell fitness plan, i have neglected cardio for over two weeks. YUP. i can’t mentally get my ass on the treadmill. dunno what’s wrong with me. i became spoiled with GPP and now that i am on my own, i just do the lifting and not the cardio portion of the plan. i have a feeling that (paired with fro yo, cookies, and cereal) is going to catch up with me REAL quick. but, in the meantime, i am building some stellar muscle. haven’t seen these kind of gains in a long time, and i’m not sad about it.

i know the muscular look isn’t for everyone, but i love it and embrace it and really like to lift. i am digging these heavy workouts and have one more week of the month plan. i am toying with the idea of getting another month of workouts and incorporating some GPP into the week for the cardio aspect of things.. because.. really.. i just don’t do it otherwise!

speaking of GPP, locals up north will be stoked to learn there is a new GPP location in syracuse! your first week is free! it’s on 455 west and 1700 south in clearfield. check them out and try it for a week for free! nothing to lose, only health, fitness, and strength to gain!

my friend amanda’s doxy, pierre, needs back surgery :(

from the facebook page:

Pierre, the dachshund you all have come to know and love is in trouble. He is in paralysis, and no longer can use his back legs. We are saving up for back surgery, but until then he will be going through physical therapy with plenty of meds and bed rest. I am offering to bake your Holiday Pies. Home made crusts from a 3rd generation recipe, and all of the traditional pie fillings you can think of, your choice! You order, and I deliver. Please only Salt Lake homes, or feel free to pick them up and take them wherever the Holidays may take you. All I ask is for a donation towards Pierre’s medical costs, and hopefully we can get him back to his old running through the woods self. Thank you so much, for all your love and support!

so sad. obviously she can’t be making pies for those who aren’t local.. but if you are local in SLC and would like a delicious pie from pierre, you can contact amanda via the gofundme page. if you would like to contribute a donation for pierre’s surgery, payments are being accepted via gofundme…CLICK!

another bit of fundraising info… i am participating in an online bake sale to raise money for the philippines!

OnlineAuctionPhilippines_112113.gif

diana is hosting a charitable auction on her blog and it will take place on thursday the 21st. i am donating a couple loaves of the best banana bread ever.

there is some great stuff up for bid—don’t miss it!

something i wanted to share was info on the hydroxycut recall i received in my inbox.

i know a lot of you take supplements so i wanted to make you aware of this recall! supplements that aren’t rigorously tested can sometimes be sketchy, clearly proven from the notice above. GNC sells OxyELITE and i have personally taken this thermogenic in the past (years and years ago.) i know many others who have purchased OxyELITE as well, and i have passed this onto them.

that’s why i am so pumped up on advocare supplements. they’ve been tested by informed choice and i feel safe taking them. no surprises and nothing funky about them!

that wraps up my odds & ends. no post is complete without a laugh… so there’s this.

have a good weekend, guys!

1. where do you find most of your recipes/meal inspiration?

2. what was the last cause you donated to?

Sarah K November 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I find most of my recipes on Pinterest. Also your arms are amazing!

Candice@Hungrymotherunner November 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm

1. you. Or I just create them on a whim, or insta.
2. My cousins ham shoot. Just today! I will donate for the fur baby!

My grandma showed me how to eat an apple that way because she said it was the right way to eat them. She grew up during the depression so she would pick rice up out of dirt if she had to. So when were at her house. She won’t let you waste any part of anything. Especially an apple.
good to know she still isn’t crazy.

Carbzilla November 16, 2013 at 12:22 am

I think I have some OXYElite. Thanks for the heads up.

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine November 16, 2013 at 5:14 am

I get all my inspiration from the things I pin on Pinterest! The best source and everything can be organized (great for my OCD!)
I love weight lifting 1000X more than cardio too! Cardio is just so monotonous, weights are fun and I love the muscle definition look as well!

Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach November 16, 2013 at 5:23 am

Holy muscle girl, you look fantastic!!! I’ve been soooo over cardio lately, which is not entirely bad bc all I want to do is lift! If I do cardio, it’s only HIIT…I get that its more effective, which is great but I really do it because it doesn’t take long! haha!

Erica November 16, 2013 at 5:47 am

I’m donating baked goods too! A great cause. Your arms look amazing! I always eat the whole apple- Josh thinks its weird. Stay toasty!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 16, 2013 at 6:26 am

How do you not eat the seeds if you eat it that way? Or do you just spit them out once you do?

Katie November 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I’m wondering the same thing! The core, seeds and gross stuff at he bottom and top of the apple. I’m baffled.

Lea November 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

Thanks for linking about the bake sale, I didn’t know about it until I read your post. I will be signing up to donate bake goods :)

Abi@AbsofSteel November 16, 2013 at 6:50 am

That’s how I eat my apples too! I get so annoyed when people throw away a core with a good couple of bites of apple left on it, also your muscles look awesome!

Megan November 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

I’m pretty boring when it comes to meals, so I just make the same things over and over again and just vary it a little bit. But for baking, I love looking for new recipes! I find them on blogs or in magazines. Or people post them on FB :)

Linz @ Itz Linz November 16, 2013 at 9:28 am

that’s hilarious about the apple – jonny totally eats every part of the apple like that and at first i was like uhhh what?? and he’s like i don’t want to waste any! i’m not sure i can get down with eating the core..

Kristie November 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Holy SHOULDERS. Nicely done dearie. LOVE those muscles! I feel you on the cardio. It used to be ALL I did and now nearly every run is a struggle. But I try to throw a few runs and a spin class or two in there for workout balance and all that jazz.
I totally demolish my apples. My leftover cores are always itty bitty. Who wants to waste such deliciousness? That being said, I’ve never eaten one with the top to bottom (or vice versa) method… so that’s happening.
99% of my recipes are from blogs. Or Pinterest. At least 2/3 of all my bookmarks are recipes. It’s an addiction!

Livi November 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm

pumpkin pie balls?! I want those!!

Corrie Anne November 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm

yay muscles!!!!!! that is some extreme apple eating. awesome!

Krista November 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Why didn’t I think to make that video? Ha! I’ve always eaten the entire apple (many times, the seeds too)…although, I usually eat around the center first, then the top, then the bottom. I’m always in awe when I see how much of an apple most people leave behind. I also peel & eat grapefruit like an orange. Oh, and I eat the skin of kiwis. I guess I’m a “no-waste” fruit eater. :)

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I have been finding most recipes from other blogs and pinterest

Nicole C November 16, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Recipes these days are from The Betty Rocker, she’s so kick ass cool!

I donated to Pierre! I asked my Mom to make a donation as my birthday gift. She has a doxie and basset hound mix so she understands my love of the wieners ya know? ;)

Janetha November 17, 2013 at 4:48 pm

thank you, nicole! you’re the best xoxoxo

Jessica November 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Holy shoulders! That is amazing! I hate cardio too, I get it, but I definitely notice a change on the scale when I force myself to do it :/…so I have to remind myself of that!

Melissa November 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

your upper body looks amazing!

I always eat my apples that way, I throw away little to nothing.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm

WOW! Your muscles are amazing!! You look fab.

Tamara November 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I saw that video last week and it has totally changed the way I eat my apples! So much better. :)

Cassie @RedLetterDaye November 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm