costumes & carving & candy.

by Janetha on October 30, 2013

in flashback,fun facts

hey, guys! halloween is tomorrow.. who’s doing something fun?? this is actually the first year i am not getting decked out and dressed up! like, the first year of my life! i guess that means i turned 30 this year, aye? haha.

i might go to a costume party on friday, but by then the holiday is over and i don’t know how jazzed i am about dressing up. i guess i will play it by ear. i thought it would be fun to flash back to some costumes of years past..

probably my FAVORITE costume ever was a viking. we had a huge party and ran around doing viking things all night. fun stuff.

the first halloween marshall and i celebrated together, i actually got him to do a couple’s costume. that’ll never happen again, mark my words. we were a greek god & goddess.

you can see he was thrilled about it.

when i was a kid, i wanted to be a cat EVERY SINGLE YEAR. and i was.. several of the years.. i was cat OBSESSED in my younger days.

Scan0013

need proof? yes.. that is me, swaddling a stuffed cat, surrounded by other stuffed cats, with cat posters on my wall, sitting on a cat blanket. and can i get three cheers for my pet net?!

Scan0013

another rad one was when my friends and i were pirates. we told people to walk the plank all. night. long.

i never got TOO into the “sexy” halloween costumes.. but we were pin up girls one year and that was SO fun.

and, because it’s cute, here’s puppy penny in 2008 as a ladybug :)

Penny Bug

i have always loved pumpkin carving, too. if you are curious about why we carve pumpkins on halloween, you can read the story HERE. i got curious so i googled. pumpkin carving is such a fun group activity! back when i lived with roomies, we did it all the time.

try to tell me that puppy penny in a pumpkin carved with a P isn’t the cutest thing ever…

gah!

costumes and carving aside, another big part of halloween is CANDY. are you a big fan of eating halloween candy? i am not a big candy-eater.. give me ice cream, toast, or cereal (my three favorite foods!) and i am all about it.. but candy i can typically take or leave. that said, i probably will eat a piece or two tomorrow because when in rome.. or something like that ;) plus i have this candy basket sitting on my desk at work…

photo

i’ve got my eye on that snickers. but, if we are talking candy, my #1 favorite is twix! i actually made homemade twix awhile back (also known as millionaire shortbread) and it was really good! but there’s nothing quite like a real twix right from the package. actually, for marshall’s birthday the other weekend, i found TWIX CUPCAKES from my sweet tooth fairy and ohhh they were divine. might have to recreate that one.

last week i received an email from sport chalet with an article about calories in halloween candy and what it takes to work a piece off and thought i’d share. as someone who doesn’t count calories or look at calories as something i have burn off depending on how much i eat, i kinda rolled my eyes at first.. but this was actually fun and interesting! (can i just give a *disclaimer* here and say i don’t think  you should go run a mile for every piece of candy you eat and i don’t think there is anything wrong with eating candy! this is just a halloween candy article that intrigued me. i feel like i have to put these disclaimers when talking calories and working out so you guys don’t get the wrong idea. the end.)

*************************************************

· Snickers bar fun-size—Every mini bar of this chocolate goodness is 80 calories. To burn off at least one fun-size Snickers, put on your walking shoes and take a half-hour stroll around the block. If you’re already taking your kids around the neighborhood to trick-or-treat, this will be no problem!

· Mini Reese’s peanut butter cup—As one of the least offensive fun-sized candies, these mini cups have 40 calories each. Pick up your dumbbells and weightlift for 12 minutes to get rid of those extra calories.

· Butterfinger fun-size—These little pieces of heaven will cost you 100 calories. That’s a small price to pay when you can burn the calories off with only 25 minutes of Pilates.

· M&M fun-size—One package of these melt-in-your-mouth, colorful candies is 93 calories. Burn them off by grabbing your kettlebell and doing just five minutes of kettlebell squats!

· Baby Ruth fun-size—One fun-size Babe Ruth is 95 calories. Enjoy the gorgeous fall scenery and take a 15-minute hike to burn those calories.

*************************************************

the article reminded me of this ecard.. makes me laugh every time i see it!

side note.. why are the small sizes of candy called “fun size”? it’s way more fun to eat the full size ones.. right??

if you ask me, i don’t think calories on holidays or vacations (or weekends.. in my case..haha..) count. they are just eaten and somehow lost in space and your body doesn’t even recognize the fact that you ate them ;)

well, that’s enough halloween rambles for one post. whew, kinda got carried away! hope you all have a fun holiday tomorrow! we get to close up early at work, so that’s reason enough for me to celebrate.. costume or not!

2. what is your favorite/least favorite candy? me: twix/butterfinger

Kelsey October 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Dressing up… nahh
Eating candy… yahhhhh
favorite candy- I’m a huge sour patch watermelon and peach-o fan, not that those have ever been give out on halloween.
Least fav- smarties, fireballs, mike n ikes, black licorice. gross.

Presley @ Run Pretty October 30, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I’m taking my 1 year old trick-or-treating tomorrow. Someone has to eat all that candy for him, right? That’s a crap ton of burpees…..

Sara October 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You look STUNNING in that Greek costume! Totally Randoms comment but your hair and make up and just the. Whole get up is beautiful

Katie October 30, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Ohhhh heavens. That picture of you with the side-pony swaddling a cat in your cat-poster covered room is the best thing I’ve ever seen. I want that to be made into a poster or something.

Momma b October 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Oh boy it’s a toss up as to which photos made me smile the most…..love my little cat lady and Penny bean ☺️ You both always make me smile!! And then there’s Marshall in his toga my my!!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Your cat lady photo made me laugh out loud! Too cute!

I’m going to pretend I didn’t read that article tomorrow as I’m chowing down on all the candy Hunter is going to get for me. ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks October 30, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I’m def not dressing up…unless getting in comfy clothes & snuggling my newborn counts as a costume?! ;) she’ll wear a halloween onesie though!

I like almond snickers & twix, but I esp love the apple/caramel pops. SO yumm to me for some reason!

Love the greek goddess costume!

Livi October 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I’m dressing as a karate kid for babysitting and something else later on!

Jenny Stafford October 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Great and creative post, and important to know! I had to pin this awesome bit of advice and done it too :)

Suzanne October 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I planned on dressing up like a minion from Despicable Me this year, but cannot seem to find a yellow shirt. Anywhere. My favorite costume as an adult has been either Mary Catherine Gallagher from SNL or Punky Brewster. My favorite candy are Reese’s Pumpkins. Least favorite? Those peanut butter kisses things, or whatever they are called. The ones in the orange or black wrappers. I also don’t like Bottlecaps.

Brandi October 31, 2013 at 4:52 am

Gosh, I can’t remember the last time I dressed up for Halloween! Probably not gonna be dressing up, but I will be heading out to a Trunk or Treat at my church tonight.
Definitely Reeses!!

Erica October 31, 2013 at 4:53 am

You have had some awesome costumes!!! I love love love Halloween. Its my dad’s birthday and has always been a big deal at our house. This year, we’re having a few relatives over and are having a fun dinner & pumpkin pie to celebrate my dad. We’ll also be participating in the neighborhood activities and attempting to take Kaylin trick or treating (to a house or two).

1. are you dressing up this year? as what? or what has been your favorite costume in past halloweens? Kaylin’s a lady bug…I’m wearing antennas…so kind of?

2. what is your favorite/least favorite candy? Anything sugar-y, anything chocolate :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats October 31, 2013 at 5:04 am

We don’t really celebrate halloween here in Australia so no to dressing up.

Fav candy > Kitkat
least fav > anything Mint Choc-yuck!

Linz @ Itz Linz October 31, 2013 at 5:29 am

lol!! omg the first year jonny and i were together we did couples halloween costumes and i’m pretty sure that will never happen again either!!! however, i was a pumpkin and he was peter peter…. lol i still think itz funny

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) October 31, 2013 at 7:36 am

penny as a ladybug!! eeeeek so cute. woman you are HOT as a pinup girl!! i posted my costume on instagram <3 it's my bday and i ran out of time..i've done some fun stuff already this week and am tired so i think i'm staying in tonight but this weekend will resume the fun :)

Cassie @RedLetterDaye October 31, 2013 at 8:28 am

That cat picture is priceless! I’m surprised you have dogs now. You could always be a cat lady for Halloween if you decide to wear a costume ;)

I love Baby Ruths! (And I watched the Goonies yesterday!). And smarties are the worst. Powdery sugar pills. Gag.

I somehow talked my boyfriend into being Sam Shakusky and Suzy Bishop (me) for Halloween (Did you see that movie? Did anyone?) . He tried on his costume last night (basically a boyscout with a racoon hat), and he was way too excited (a 6’1″ boy scout looks a bit ridiculous). I think he’s just glad I did all the costume making. (I also gathered his costume as Ace Ventura last year, which was a hit, and he enjoyed hearing lines from the movie from people all night.)

Happy Halloween!

JennyV October 31, 2013 at 8:29 am

A swaddled cat and cat posters!! Love! I also had a pet net but filled it with horses. Such a cowgirl — which I was for at least 3 Halloweens.
Favorite candy? Reese’s, Mounds, or Twix!

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed October 31, 2013 at 8:53 am

let’s not discuss the fact we each turned 30. Let us forget.

betty (the sweaty betty) October 31, 2013 at 8:55 am

baby pennnny! I was going to dress up as callie from greys anatomy (scrubs are easy enough to find), but the party got cancelled.. so I didn’t have to waste my money!

I LOVE twix, but I also love butterfingers too :) my least fav candy is skittles, maybe? unless its 5 years ago and i’m drinking them in a Zima. hahah

Tina @ Best Body Fitness October 31, 2013 at 9:59 am

Oh my goodness…you with the cats is SO how Makenzie is with bears. Child is obsessed with bears. For Halloween she wanted to be a panda bear. Her little heart broke when a panda costume (had to be fully fuzzy animal) for her age didn’t exist.

Jenn October 31, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Aww – Penny in a pumpkin is adorable! No costume for me this year – we’re handing out candy to all the neighborhood kids. As for my favorite candy, it would have to be Snickers! Least favorite? Peanut M&Ms. Don’t mess with the original!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 31, 2013 at 7:27 pm

We didn’t have many trick-or-treaters which means there’s too much candy left which is an issue! :(

Heathers Looking Glass November 1, 2013 at 10:17 am

OMG I used to be obsessed with cats too. I had cat wallpaper in my room, subscribed to cat fancy magazine…and had the same pet net full of cat stuffed animals. I die.

Trisha November 1, 2013 at 11:42 am

Holy crap, that cat photo. Priceless.
I actually dressed up twice this year, and totally loved both of my super easy DIY costumes. I spent about $25 total, which is a-okay by me, especially for two costumes.
My favorite part about trick-or-treating as a kid was the inevitable candy swap. The neighbor girls and I would sit on the living room floor and trade all of our candy out so we were all left with the stuff we liked best. I honestly cannot pick one favorite candy, but I think my least favorite is Whoppers.

Trisha November 1, 2013 at 11:49 am

Almost forgot. Penny in a pumpkin. Cutest ever.

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I did dress up this year and really got into it. I was Mary Poppins (so easy) my son went trick or treating as a SWAT guy

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut November 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Twix are my absolute favorite candy bars!! We only got two trick-or-treaters last night…so obviously I had to cut up a fun size one and put it on my toast this morning! ;) My friend calls herself “fun sized” so it makes me smile when I see the fun size candies haha.

Now I have to go check out why we carve pumpkins… :)

Cassie November 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I like the positive spin you put on candy/calories… the 15-minute hike was especially fun.

I dressed up as the girl from Prancersize (photos on my blog!). So easy and I had everything = free Halloween costume.