pork chopped.

by Janetha on October 8, 2013

in meals,moves,recipes

hi, guys! how was your tuesday? mine was L-O-N-G. longer than randy the basset hound.. and that dude is long.

IMG 8230

i won’t bore you with the details of my day. i will tell you i had a repeat of the breakfast, lunch, snack, and pre-workout drink from yesterday’s post. it was all so fantastic that i had to do it again!

i did power clean and jerks at the gym tonight. we don’t do these often, so it was fun to work on them. power cleans are one of my FAVORITE movements. there’s just something about them that i love. it takes strength, power, and coordination.. so when i do them i think i feel extra awesome. haha.. jokes.. but i do love them!

Screen Shot 2013 10 08 at 8 57 17 PM

the workout consisted of some single arm snatches to warm up, which i did with a kettlebell. using a kettlebell makes them a little more challenging than using a dumbbell because of how the weight is distributed in a kettlebell. it adds that whole balancing factor and makes them a little tougher.. but you definitely get more out of it that way.

then i moved onto the power clean and jerks. it was five sets with five reps each. i started light at 75 (my 1 rep max power clean is 105) and then worked my way up. i did a set at 85, one at 95, and then my final two at 100. doing 100 pounds for 5 reps had me pretty jazzed, considering my 1 rep max is 105. something tells me i should probably see if i can do a heavier 1 rep since i was able to do the 5 at 100.. but i was beat after these five sets so i called it a day. maybe next time!

i came home and fixed dinner.. pork chops with apple cranberry chutney, mashed potatoes, and steamed asparagus.

NewImage

i had told you guys i’d share my recipes this week. i cheated with the chutney…

NewImage

but i actually made my own dry rub for the pork chops!

NewImage

i had never made a dry rub before, but i made this up last week when we had this same exact meal for dinner. we loved it so much that i decided to make it again tonight! it’s really simple and you probably already have everything you need for it…

NewImage

• 1 TB groung cumin
  • 1 TB garlic powder
  • 1 TB ground mustard
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

that’s it! simply mix it all together and it’s ready to go.

NewImage

this recipe makes enough for two large pork chops.. so i whipped up the small batch of dry rub and used it all. you could always make more and keep it in a jar. when you are ready to use it, simply rub it on your dry pork chops.

NewImage

to make the pork chops, i seared them on each side in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.. about 2 minutes each side. oh, there was some olive oil in the skillet before i put the pork chops in there.

NewImage

i then transferred them to the oven and baked them at 400* for 8 minutes. this time will vary depending on the thickness of your chops.

NewImage

meanwhile, i steamed some asparagus and whipped up some mashed potatoes.

for the potatoes, i peeled a couple of large russet potatoes. i diced them into 1″ cubes and boiled them until tender–about 10 minutes. i mashed them with a potato masher and then whipped them with a pad of salted butter, a splash of milk, some fresh ground sea salt, and a dollop of plain greek yogurt.  perfection!

NewImage

this is a pretty simple meal. it has a fancy name and i used to be intimidated by pork chops.. but they are actually pretty easy to make! quick, too.

NewImage

we usually eat chicken in our house, but pork will definitely be showing up on the menu more often. it’s got some great stats and reasons to eat it! check it out…

NewImage

what’s that they say.. pork, the other white meat? yeah. it’s good stuff.

anyway, it’s nine PM which means it’s time to unplug and hang with the husband. hope you all have a great wednesday!

1. what menu item(s) are you intimidated to make?

2. do you like pork?

Carbzilla October 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Girl – I was back in the gym today for the first time in yeeeeaaarrrrrs, and it was so good! Can’t wait to get back. You are such an inspiration, as always.

Erica October 8, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Such a complete meal! Those potatoes look delicious! I never make pork Chops because I always think its going to be dry.

MizFit October 9, 2013 at 5:27 am

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY mine was long too.
super long.
IM CROSSING EVERYTHING THIS WEDNESDAY FLIES.

love,

A misfit who has never eaten pork :-)

Tracey October 9, 2013 at 5:36 am

Love these semi-homemade recipes!!!! Girl after my own heart:)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 9, 2013 at 5:59 am

I love pork! We definitely have pork chops as a pretty regular dinner around here. We usually have them with applesauce, but I love the looks of that chutney!

betty (the sweaty betty) October 9, 2013 at 6:27 am

we had pork A LOTTT growing up, because its my dad’s favorite. I don’t think I’ve eaten a pork chop since I left home, and prob wont be having one anytime soon.

the only item i’m really intimidated with is bread. I’ve always wanted to make some of my own bread, but yeast and all that jazz scares me. not that I need any of that laying around the house anyways.

ps. I love the unplugging at 9. I think Barbara and I need to do that; we’re always glued to our phones and its just crazy to me how much we (blaming myself too) rely on those things.

LG October 9, 2013 at 8:33 am

We eat pork quite a bit, especially pork tenderloin because it’s inexpensive, super lean and versitile. Last week I made the rosemary parmesan pork tenderloin recipe from this post: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2013/09/09/putting-my-mom-on-a-diet-week-12-meal-plan-and-weigh-in/

Super good!!! The pulled pork recipe from that blog is our staple recipe too. SO good!

Emily R October 9, 2013 at 9:22 am

1) definitely intimidated to cook salmon. I have NO idea why. I just never know how to tell if it’s cooked through (plus the skin kind of grosses me out, ha)
2) LOVE pork… it’s on our weekly menu more often than it should be. although after seeing those stats, I don’t feel as bad about it! :)

PS…. so I went to Trader Joe’s the other day to pick up that cranberry apple chutney, because hey, I’m lazy and would prefer not to make it from scratch if I don’t have to. And one of the sales people told me they had DISCONTINUED IT. :( :( :( :( :(

Annette@FitnessPerks October 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

I’ve never made anything with pork–your rub sounds awesome though!

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) October 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

hmmm funny you mention that! i just roasted a pork shoulder in the crock pot overnight last night! mmmmmm cannot wait to eat it later today haha. i don’t know why pork gets a bad rap. who really cares about the fat if you are eating lots of fruits/veg during the day. gotta get it somewhere right? plus..bacon is everything.

i am intimidated to make french pastry type stuff. just no. ha but i’ll gladly eat it if someone makes it for me ;)

Laura @losingrace October 9, 2013 at 11:03 am

I do like pork but I don’t cook it as much as I do other meats/seafood. My favorite is pork tenderloins…I have some fabulous recipes that are great for fall. This reminds me…I should make some this weekend!

Corrie Anne October 9, 2013 at 11:47 am

I’m definitely intimidated by, well, any meat that you can’t put in a crockpot!! Haha. Ahhhhhh! I don’t love power cleans, but I’ve made some good progress on them lately. Hang power cleans are another story, I can’t get myself under that bar fast enough!!!! yay randy!

Lili October 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Love pork .. My favorite I grew up eating it.. Fish ..I can’t ever make it good or maybe just that I don’t like it .. Made UR shepherds pie–so yummy

lindsay October 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm

you should try this with lamb chops, so good! but my husband loves new zealand lamb, go figure

jodie October 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I LOVE pork. Love it.

Fish intimidates me. The balance of not dry but cooked through.

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I am always worried to make fish. I also know it is just me and my son (who is still alittle picky) so I know I have to eat it myself

Jami October 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

These were AMAZING! We always dip our pork chops in unsweetened applesauce- thanks for the tip on the rub and they were so tender cooked this way!

Sara October 15, 2013 at 10:18 pm

1) I am intimidated by chicken. Dumb – right? But I am always so worried about undercooking it that I usually end up overcooking it. Which is why I now only make it in the slow-cooker. perfect every time!

2) I generally like pork now, but hated it growing up. My parents weren’t very good at cooking it – looking back I think it was overdone. Hey, I’m sensing a theme!