halloween crafternoon.

by Janetha on September 15, 2013

in how to

hey, guys! i hope you have all enjoyed your weekend. mine has been jam-packed! i went to the state fair with marshall on friday night, went to the farmers market on saturday, fit in a couple of workouts (friday and saturday, today is a rest day) and spent yesterday afternoon crafting my little heart out!

NewImage

kerryne, amanda, and i got together to make some halloween crafts we had our eyes on. we each picked one craft and brought the supplies to make each one. i think they all turned out super cute!

frankenstein luminary.

NewImage

we were going to do a frankenstein and a ghost, but the frankenstein alone took quite awhile.. so we skipped out on the ghost. the method is the same, though, so knock yourself out if you want to do both!

i am going to tell you what you need just for the frankenstein.. even though the photo shows a few things we would have used for the ghost!

supplies:

• mason jar with lid
  • black spray paint
  • white, black, and green construction paper
  • black sharpie
  • green crepe paper
  • modge podge
  • sponge brush
  • 2 bolts
  • hot glue gun with glue or super glue
  • wireless battery-operated luminary
directions:
  1. spray paint the mason jar lid black and set aside.
  2. cut out eyes, eyeballs, and a nose from the construction paper.
  3. glue the eyeballs onto the eyes, then modge podge the eyes and nose onto the inside of the jar.
  4. modge podge the crepe paper to the inside of the jar using the sponge brush. a little goes a long way.. the best method i found was to paint the modge podge onto the crepe paper and then use the brush to secure it in place. it’s OK if the crepe paper bunches or tears. just keep going! cover the entire interior of the jar in green crepe paper.
  5. draw eyebrows, a mouth, and stitches onto the outside of the jar with the sharpie.
  6. glue the bolts onto either side of the jar.
  7. screw the lid on top, and you’re done! you would place the luminary inside the jar and turn it on at night. i still have to get to the store to buy one! but it’s already super cute without the light.

witch’s hat.

supplies:

• paper mache witch’s hat (i got it at michael’s for $3)
  • black and white acrylic paints
  • sponge brush
  • circular sponge brush
  • halloween ribbons and bows
  • hot glue gun with glue or super glue

directions:

1. paint the hat black with the sponge brush and let dry completely.
  2. using the circular brush, dot the hat with white paint to create a polka dot pattern.
  3. tie the ribbon around the brim of the hat and secure them in place with glue.
  4. add the bow where the ribbon meets, using glue to secure.
Screen Shot 2013 09 15 at 4 06 16 PM

mason jar lid pumpkin.

supplies:

• 15 mason jar lids–only the part that screws on the jar.
  • orange spray paint (or you can do black, green, purple.. any halloween colors!)
  • twine
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • halloween ribbon
  • hot glue gun with glue or super glue

directions:

1. spray lids with spray paint and let dry.
  2. string lids onto twine and tie twine together in a tight knot.
  3. arrange lids in a circular shape to resemble a pumpkin.
  4. glue decorative ribbons into the center of the pumpkin.
  5. glue cinnamon sticks (the stem!) into the center of pumpkin, over the ribbons.
NewImage

they all came together in just a few hours. i would say the frankenstein was the most tedious and took the longest, but it is also my favorite of the three.

NewImage

this was such a fun time and we can’t wait to do the same thing for christmas decorations!

i have a BIG challenge announcement tomorrow. come back to read all about it! there will be over $1000 in cash and prizes up for grabs! :)

1. do you like crafting?

2. what’s your favorite holiday to decorate for?

Bonnie September 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm

So fun! I’m not a huge crafter but my favorite holiday (and, by default, decor) is Halloween! So maybe I’ll pin this post and make it happen this year! ;)

A big challenge/announcement for tomorrow?! I can’t wait! I’m pretty interested in the Advocare stuff…I have been wanting to lose about 5 lbs for a few months now and recently just went up about 4 more! Never really happened to me before…so prizes or not, I think it’s time I commit to something. Thanks!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine September 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I love the Mason Jar lid pumpkins! Those are so cute!
Christmas is definitely my favorite…it is kind of the only one I do decorate for. The Tree, ornaments, cute wintery stuffed animals, lights, and cheer!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia September 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

omg, you gals must’ve had so much fun doing this together. i love everything i see here.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats September 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm

My friends and I do crafternoon too and it is so much fun! Shame we don’t really do Halloween here in Australia as otherwise I’d suggest some of the crafts you did for our next one :)

Caroline September 15, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I like crafting in theory, but don’t love doing it quite as much. If someone can provide all the supplies and structure like this, I enjoy it more. All 3 of these turned out really cutely!!

Livi September 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm

so cute! I love the pumpkins!

Erica September 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Halloween is my most favorite holiday. I just love it to pieces. I am….the worst artist ;). I can’t craft for the life of me

Erica September 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm

PS everything is so cute but the pumpkins are my fav

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com September 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm

These are all so cute!

I liked your Snapchat preview too :D

lindsay September 15, 2013 at 7:43 pm

wow, that’s super crafty.. I am not crafty with things other than food. Not lying.

Joy September 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I love crafting when I don’t “have to” like right now I’m supposed to be making an afghan for my niece for her wedding gift… I can not talk myself into picking up a crochet hook!

I love decorating for every holiday! It’s my favorite part of living in a little house (takes little decor)

Madison September 16, 2013 at 4:23 am

I do like to craft but it is something I only have patience for like…once or twice a year. Scrapbooking stresses me out! haha And my favorite holiday to decorate for is Christmas. :)

Linz @ Itz Linz September 16, 2013 at 4:33 am

you are too cute! uhhhh i hate crafting and never decorate… i have a couple themed kitchen towels but we really use them all year long lol when we happen to use them during the proper season, i pretend like itz on purpose hah

Brandi September 16, 2013 at 5:47 am

Oh how fun! I was looking for some really cool ideas to make some crafts with my niece and nephew and these are perfect! :)

MizFit September 16, 2013 at 6:20 am

OMGOSH MY CHILD WISHES SHE LIVED WITH YOU.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 16, 2013 at 6:32 am

That’s so cute! I seriously wish I was a good crafter, but I don’t have the knack for anything artistic at all. I am looking forward to buying some cute Halloween decorations though! ;-)

betty (the sweaty betty) September 16, 2013 at 6:51 am

I looooove decorating for Christmas, now that I have my own house. I could start decorating now!

calee September 16, 2013 at 9:00 am

these are all super adorable. looks like a fun time!

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

The pumpkin is my favorite for sure – so cute!! I love the idea of crafting, but don’t make enough time for it. The idea of a get-together like this is very intriguing though!

Brittany @ read, run, repeat September 16, 2013 at 11:55 am

Oh my word, so cute! I love the pumpkins! I love to do crafts — I find it so relaxing, and I swear that it feels likely using a different part of my brain that i don’t get to indulge very often! I need to find son friends for a crafternoon! What a neat idea :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm

You’re amazing – everything is so cute! I am SO not crafty!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I am so not a crafty person at all….but my inlaw sistas & mom are, so they show me how to do things once in awhile. ;) I LOVE the hat & the pumpkin!!!!

Katie September 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm

What a fun afternoon! I love that little pumpkin made of lids. Adorable. I love crafts…wish they came more naturally to me, but I always have fun with them!

Ja @Ja on the RUN September 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm

This is the cutest thing ever! I love pumpkin out of mason jar lids! Since I’m not good at carving pumpkins, I’ll try to make those! :)LOL!

julie September 17, 2013 at 6:49 am

oh man the mason jar lid pumpkin is freaking fantastic. i need to make that or better yet my sister does because she is like IN LOVE with halloween. i’m more of a halloweenie hahah but i could defs get on board with that mason jar pumpkin

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

great halloween projects! I love doing crafts, but I dont always get the time