a day at the fair.

by Janetha on September 5, 2013

in family time

time for a quick and late post! i was at the state fair tonight with my family. this is the 39th year my cute parents have been going together and taking the family as each child was born…

obviously i haven’t been for 39 years, haha.. this was my 30th year attending. i have only missed one year (that i can recall…) which was when i lived in london for a semester abroad. this is by far my favorite family tradition! we love the utah state fair!

we always check out the butter exhibit very first, because it’s right at the entrance. they weren’t quite finished with it tonight as it was the first day of the fair.

i always manage to see something new at the fair every year i go.. this year it was owls. my favorite! i love owls and had to pose for a photo with these two beautiful birds. don’t mind my crazy face.. the one above my head had just let out a loud squawk and alarmed me!

we always check out the animals right after the butter exhibit..

my personal favorite is the bunnies!

we ran into my aunt and uncle who had brought some of their cows down from idaho. it was great to see them (and their cows!)

my niece and nephews were stoked to be up close and personal with the cows.

we usually check out the agriculture building after the animals.. we kind of have a game plan that’s the same every year.

after that it was time for dinner. somehow i managed to not take a photo of my chicken satay.. probably because i was occupied with this cutie!

it was miss nora marie’s first year at the fair. i think she had a good time ;)

we checked out the commercial buildings (i don’t even know if that’s what they are really called.. it’s a bunch of products you typically see on TV and we have called them the commercial buildings since the beginning of time!) and i got my ring cleaned. it’s an annual tradition—they sell this awesome ring cleaner and will clean your ring for free. i remember being so happy in 2010 because it was the first year i had a diamond ring to be cleaned!

we end the night with the big yellow slide. it’s definitely the highlight of the fair for me.

it’s a beautiful view from the top of the slide!

my mom splurged and we got to ride it twice this year! spoiled rotten kids, i tell ya ;) i think she wanted to go on it again just as much as the kiddos did, though.

since i am doing the 24-day challenge i skipped out on the evening treat on our way out. it took some willpower, but when i do a challenge i do it 110%!  wait, i lied.. i skipped out on my workout today because of the fair. but i did just do 200 double unders, so i will count that as my workout.. ha!

i have to say we didn’t have quite enough time at the fair tonight! we didn’t check out the art or photography exhibits. there is just so much to see! marshall didn’t go this time around because it was football opening night. i am hoping we can go back sometime while it’s still going on. my sister and her family in california (sigh, move back) and my brother, brother in law, and one nephew weren’t there either. we missed them all!

thanks for yet another fun time at the fair, mom and dad!

1. what is your favorite family tradition?

2. have you been to a fair?

Annette@FitnessPerks September 6, 2013 at 10:10 am

Oh fun!! I had no idea the fair was going on–but that could be super fun….or hot being 8+ months pregnant. Haha.

I love the pic of you & Nora!!

Lisa September 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

That’s so cool you’ve been going to the fair every year since you were born, I think that’s pretty awesome that you’ve kept up this tradition.
That butter exhibit is amazing! How the heck do you even do that, that’s some talent right there.
And those bunnies are so adorable. It looks like it was such a lovely time. It really is a pretty view from the top. I don’t go to the fair too often since there’s not too much around here…maybe once every 3 years but it’s always fun!

Amanda September 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

I love the owls! They’re so beautiful.

That picture of you and Nora just melts my heart, so so sweet! Glad to see her doing so well and out enjoying her first fair!

Momma b September 6, 2013 at 10:40 am

We really didn’t have enough time!! Boo for having to go on vacation ☺! We’ll go twice next year!!

This is such a fun tradition….making memories is a fun way to live!!!

Thanks Neef, as always, for your recap!! Sure do love you

kristine September 6, 2013 at 11:52 am

that picture from the top of the slide is AMAZING!! absolutely gorgeous!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm

That’s such a fun tradition! We have a big fair every year, but I only go a handful of times. It’d be fun with kids for sure, though!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut September 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Dave and I went to the Minnesota State fair which was fun, but it was like 100 degrees out haha. My favorite was the bunnies too!! I got a picture with one as big as a flippin’ dog!

PS Your parents are ADORABLE.

Jay Scott September 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Looks like a great time at the fair. I took my parents to the KY State Fair this year and they loved it.

I too had to avoid the treats so I feel you there!

Great article and pictures!

Jay

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats September 6, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Looks like you had a great time at the fair!! Seeing all those animals makes me want to go to the zoo :)

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie September 7, 2013 at 12:39 pm

looks like a blast!!! I went to a fair and to see sugarland perform, unfortuantly there was a tornado that went through and we didn’t see much of either haha

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com September 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

what a fun family tradition!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness September 7, 2013 at 3:40 pm

It looks like you had a good time. I went to the Minnesota state fair past weekend with my parents and kentucky the weekend before with my boyfriend. I think fairs are so much fun! My favorite part about the mn state fair is the fried cheese curds.

Brandi September 8, 2013 at 3:43 am

I love going to our fair! Seeing this reminds me that ours is coming in a few weeks! :) Adorable baby! :)

Julie @ A Warrior and A Nurse September 8, 2013 at 8:50 am

We have a ton of family traditions that surface around fall/winter. Though my husband and I are long past the high school days (he’s almost 30 and I’m 25), every fall we try to make it to at least on his high school alma mater’s late Friday evening football games here in Pennsylvania. He played football when he was in high school, and, I guess it’s partially to bring back some of the feelings of fresh air and boisterous fans filling the stadium…..not to mention some of the good food! (popcorn, hot dogs, funnel cake, etc) I absolutely LOVE this time of year!

Kristen@goodngoodforya September 8, 2013 at 12:33 pm

We always used to go to the fair when I was a kiddo! You’ve inspired me to look up the dates of our local fairs and get one on the calendar.

ChiroBellevueWa September 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I love going to state fair with the family! My family never went when I was young, cause of my mom’s anxiety issues. But I started going with my then boyfriend and his family and we have gone every year since, and now he is my husband and they are my family too!

crystalb September 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

My family has always gone. And now my hubs and I buy season tickets each year. We live in rose park very close to the grounds so we end up going about 5 or 6 times. I swear its different every day. And my kiddo knows september = fair.

Stacey September 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I think owls are so creepy and scary… and I’m starting to realize I must be a minority? :) The picture of you right beside them makes me feel all queasy. I know I need to put a plastic one by my garden to keep the birds from my berries, but I just can’t! I’m terrified it will attract a real one, ha.

marisa September 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I don’t think I can move back :( but I think I need to come next year! I say that every year when I see pictures. The fair is the best! Thanks for sharing the pictures so I could kind of feel like I was there. Love you!