baby showering.

by Janetha on August 28, 2013

in Uncategorized

hi! happy wednesday evening to you. hope your day went well.

mine was go, go, go.. i had multiple meetings at my office today, had to run some work errands, toted the pups to and from daycare, and headed to momma b’s immediately after work for a baby shower!

i grew up across the street from the johnsons.. they have been our family friends since the beginning of (my) time. the youngest johnson sibling, lindsay, is pregnant with a little girl.

NewImage

pretty sure it’s surreal for me, as i still picture her as a little girl. sigh, i’m getting old! anyway, my mom, sister, and i planned and threw a shower for lindsay tonight. it was so much fun working out all the food, decor, and details.

NewImage

i found some super cute bird cage invitations on etsy and personalized them with the shower deets.

NewImage

there were “add ons” available to match the invites, which i thought was fun. we added on water bottle labels…

NewImageNewImage

wishes for baby cards for guests to fill out…

NewImage

and cute bird cage labels for all the food!

NewImageNewImage

i may as well just show you everything.. it was all so tasty.

to drink, we threw together a cucumber peach refresher. yeah.. i made that name up on a whim. it was a 2 liter of sprite, 2 liters of water, one can of white peach juice concentrate, sliced cucumbers and peaches, and ice. easy and really good.

NewImage

on the savory side, we had lots of salads, dips, and bites.

i made a layered greek dip. as a fan of mexican 7-layer dip and anything greek or mediterranean inspired, i have always wanted to throw something like this together! glad i finally did–it turned out to be a big hit.

NewImage

i was a lazy cheater and bought all the layers pre-made from trader joe’s, but you can easily make them from scratch. on the bottom i spread white bean basil hummus, followed by olive tapenade, then a layer of tzatziki, then a layer of tomato basil hummus, then i topped it with mediterranean feta and a balsamic glaze drizzle. i served it with pita chips. i was also going to add a layer of diced roma tomatoes, but spaced it. this was such a quick and easy dish! i highly recommend you try it the next time you have to bring something to a party… or just make it at home and park it on the couch with a bag of stacy’s pita chips and devour it yourself. i won’t tell.

we cheated again with the turkey pinwheels.. these are from costco. they are pretty substantial in size, so we cut them in half and skewered them with toothpicks.

NewImage

my sister made this harvest grain salad from danica’s recipe. i’d forgotten how good it is!

NewImage

my mom and i put together these caprese skewers using mozzarella, grape tomatoes, and fresh basil.. finished with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

NewImage

some of the guests contributed to the spread. we had italian pasta salad…

fruit…

NewImage

an incredible green salad (my favorite item of the night!) that had artichokes, avocado, bacon, and some amazing dressing that i NEED to get the recipe for. stat.

veggies & dip…

NewImage

poppyseed swiss salad.. it was great, it had apples and swiss cheese and cashews!

NewImage

no get together is complete without some sweets. we had chewy brownies, mint brownies, and miniature chocolate chip cookies made using the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever

NewImage

my mom made some of her famous strawberry shortcake in trifle form. it’s simply torn up angel food cake, a dollop of whipped cream (and you have to whip your own cream with heavy cream, sugar, and lotttts of vanilla extract!), and diced strawberries. i grew up eating strawberry shortcake this way and no other can compare for me!

NewImage

this shower was so fun and it was great to see a lot of familiar faces! it was actually a shower with all the ladies from my mom’s ward, so they all knew me when i was younger. congratulations to lindsay! she is going to be an amazing momma, i already know it.

PS after the shower i managed to head to gold’s to complete the GPP workout i missed today. it was lots of shoulder work in one simple movement. it was only ten minutes long, so that was nice. i actually really liked it–it’s called squad and you can see how it’s done here. kinda complicated to explain, but there’s a video on that link. i also did 200 double unders afterward, i am trying to do this daily! i hit a new PR for the longest string.. i got 47 in a row! so close to my goal of 50 :)

ok.. time for bed! good night! or good morning or afternoon.. whenever you are reading this!

1. what is your go-to dish to take to parties?

2. what is your favorite sweet treat?

Momma b August 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Thanks to you my little party planner it was a tremendous success!!

Loved the thrown together drink

emily August 28, 2013 at 10:56 pm

1. I like to test recipes for the blog so I always bring something different.

2. This question is cruel. I guess if I had to choose a party-specific sweet, I would say some form of 7-layer bars. I made peanut butter smores layer bars for my graduation and they were awesome.

Corrie Anne August 29, 2013 at 6:48 am

What a pretty shower!!! I love those caprese skewers! Yum!!!!!! My favorite sweet treat is probably ice cream!

Erica August 29, 2013 at 6:50 am

Wow! Everything looks just perfect! Yall did an amazing job. I love the personalization of everything. I usually end up in charge of desserts!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 29, 2013 at 6:55 am

Looks like a fun shower…love the birdcage labels and you guys definitely ate well! I always bring bars of some sort to a get-together like this. Brownies in some form are usually my go-to.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 29, 2013 at 7:03 am

Looks like such a fun shower and how cute are those little birdcages?!

betty (the sweaty betty) August 29, 2013 at 7:42 am

mint brownies?? I need some stat! I usually make mini strawberry cakes with whipped cream icing and strawberries on top ( I use the soda method since its super simple) and everyone alwaysssss loves them.

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 29, 2013 at 8:12 am

This looks so adorable! Great job planning – I’m sure she appreciated it. My favorite sweet treat is vanilla ice cream with cinnamon and cereal mixed in. Yummm. And my go-to party dish is a veggie tray with homemade hummus or some other kind of dip!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 29, 2013 at 8:55 am

Aww adorable! All the food looks amazing. You guys did a great job! I just love baby showers. My favorite sweet treat? Oh gosh, such a hard question! Probably homemade brownies from scratch!

Laura @losingrace August 29, 2013 at 9:05 am

Looks like a beautiful and fun Shower!

My go to item to bring to parties is one of the many dips I love to make, or salads (I love making salads!)– If I am told to bring dessert I bring my home made baked cheesecake! (which also answers the sweet treat question!)

Annette@FitnessPerks August 29, 2013 at 9:24 am

What a fun shower!! It looks really yummy too ;) I love the idea of a greek dip w/pita chips.mmmmmm.

And hello baby showers are def on my brain! Caprese skewers are a great idea.

My fav treat: ice cream or fro yo.

Nicole C August 29, 2013 at 9:32 am

I’m typically the party planner, food maker and cupcake girl. Needless to say I bring the cupcakes to all parties. The mint chocolate chip ones I last made were the biggest hit ever.

Right now my favorite sweet treats is cookies, chocolate chip to be exact.

Carrie August 29, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hee hee, I love that you labeled the fruit “Fruit.” So cute.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 29, 2013 at 10:25 am

Love that the trifles were in individual cups. I love trifles, but dislike that it comes in one big…bowl thing :) So nice of you all to throw the shower!

Tamara August 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

Oh my goodness, the greek layered dip and the cucumber-peach refresher look amaaaaazing! So does the apple cashew salad. Good stuff!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie August 30, 2013 at 10:24 am

I also bring a veggie tray, sometimes I dress it up for Easter I made it into a bunny :)
I bring this so I know there is a healthy option, and can have this along with the other goodies

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 31, 2013 at 11:29 am

congrats on the DUs! i am still whipping myself accidentally trying to do em :( i always bring a sweet/savory sweet potato dish it can be served hot or cold and people seem to love it no matter the time of year since i vary the herbs/toppings based on the season :) my fave sweet treat usually consists of something vanilla with dark chocolate on it OR pistachio flavored mmmm

Meggi August 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Super cute! My go to for showers is a variation of this pillsbury recipe: http://www.pillsbury.com/Videos/Pillsbury-Product-Videos/Crescent-Videos/Easy-Veggie-Pizza/ (I don’t use very much of the dip but do it in circles with lots of the diced veggies). It’s so good :)

Trisha September 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Such a cute shower! I really need a shower to throw soon! I pretty much always take cupcakes wherever I go. If I don’t, people are usually quite disappointed. :)