links to lurk.

by Janetha on August 27, 2013

in humor

oh, internet. i love you.

here are some things i’ve been reading lately that are share-worthy.

link #1.

if you are an instagram junkie like me, and you were big on disney movies like me, you will get a HUGE kick out of this article on if disney princesses had instagram. i laughed for hours.. the comments and hashtags are priceless!

haha.. genie, you sneaky photobomber.

link #2.

i loved this post by charlotte. the title, in particular, really made me think.

we aren’t always going to do our best (no matter what we are doing—at the gym, in our diet, at work, parenting, in school) but that’s okay. stop being hard on yourself! be proud of your performance every day, even if you could have done better.

link #3.

it’s common to get wayyyy too wrapped up in what you eat, what you avoid eating, when you eat, how you eat, how much you eat, how much you don’t eat… especially in this healthy living blogging bubble, am i right? this article about 5 ways to eat like a ‘normal’ person (that dieters just don’t get) was really good.

it answers the questions you may have asked like: "How the hell does that woman just eat a single bite of a cupcake and leave the rest on her plate?!" Or, "Why does she get to eat whatever she wants and not care, while I have to count every calorie and sit on my hands trying not to eat the whole bread basket when I go out to dinner?"

all five habits are ones i believe we should all practice—but many of us (myself included) have been conditioned to do the opposite of some of (or all of) the points made. i have to say that over the past two years, i have become much more ‘normal’ in the way i eat, although i have also packed on some pounds. so, of course, there is always a balance to find between eating when/what/how much you want and eating when/what/how much you should to maintain your physique.

there was a time i was way too strict and a time when i was way too lenient.. but right now i am doing well with the balance, and this article only helped remind me of the things i need to keep focusing on to be—as they say—‘normal’.

link #4.

these 27 ways to make your groceries last longer are actually pretty helpful. i love the freezing fresh herbs in oil tip.

Freeze and preserve fresh herbs in olive oil.

now if only i could figure out a way for avocados to ripen slower once i bring them home from the store… i always do my grocery shopping on sunday, but if it’s taco night the following friday my avocados have gotten too mushy by then! even if i buy harder ones from the store on sunday. i just can’t win.

link #5.

on the subject of tips.. here is a list of 18 everyday products you’ve been using wrong. some were practical, some were funny, and some gave me that “AHA” moment.. light bulb!

link #6.

no list would be complete without dogs. check out these 23 dogs who are too stupid for their own good. made me laugh.

23 Dogs Who Are Too Adorably Stupid For Their Own Good

link #7.

and, finally, because it’s hilarious and i am so guilty of many (even though i am now thirty)—27 everyday decisions that twentysomethings are really bad at making.

that’s all i have for today!

any links you want to share with the class?

Nicole @ Curly Mommy August 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Avocado tip! Once it ripens, throw it in the fridge!

Victoria August 29, 2013 at 9:14 am

I was just about to suggest that!

Erica August 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm

totally checking out that instagram link. LOVE!

lindsay August 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

i think we live in a world of extremes, so we try to fit in and then get tired, until we realize that balance is all about our needs and less overthinking. Eating normal is different for everyone, and that’s fine. AMEN!
And us, freaking love the dog videos! Love YOU

lindsay August 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

p.s.
I know you are dying to correct my grammar. Feel free.
;-)

Kim August 27, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Oh my goodness….that dog link completely made my day. Thank you so much for sharing it! I don’t know how that link didn’t show up on my buzz feed!

Arman @ thebigmansworld August 27, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Your links are golden- the disney ones are priceless!

Those 27 tips are really helpful, especially the vinegar and berries one! Cheers!

Courtney August 28, 2013 at 5:07 am

Yup, ripe avocados in the fridge. I do the same thing with bananas, but I don’t mind eating cold bananas.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 28, 2013 at 5:41 am

Love all those links! Especially the Instragram one :)

As well as the 5 ways to eat like a ‘normal person’ very much like intuitive eating a topic very close to me at the moment since giving up calorie counting / dieting.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 28, 2013 at 6:57 am

I loved that Disney Princesses thing, too funny! And now I have to go kill some time with some of your other links ;-)

Tamara August 28, 2013 at 7:05 am
Tamara August 28, 2013 at 7:22 am

Also, Isabel Foxen Duke, who wrote that HuffPo article about eating like a normal person, has an AWESOME website (and she’s on FB, too):

betty (the sweaty betty) August 28, 2013 at 7:09 am

hahah that dog link is so cute. def made my morning! i’m happy to say I know MOST on #5!

Purelytwins August 28, 2013 at 8:08 am

yes life is not complete without dogs :)

Lori August 28, 2013 at 8:56 am

Yet another avocado tip. Buy a few at different stages of ripeness. One that is ready to eat today. Put it in the fridge upon getting home. One that is a few days out from perfect ripe, but not quite ready. You have a couple of days on the counter, then in the fridge if you haven’t used it. Then, one of the ones that’s hard as a rock. Gives you about 5 or 6 days on the counter, and then – yep, you guessed it – into the fridge. I do this on a regular basis and have great results…

Ashley August 28, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thank you so much for #3! For years I feel like I have dieted and tried every diet known to man…including a super strict body building diet. I got results and lost weight, but it made me even more neurotic about food and weight in the long run! I am finally in the phase where I said F all of that and am trying to find that balance and not worry about hitting a certain macro number for the day or feeling guilty if I ate something that would be considered a “cheat food”. If you ever need a blog subject, I would love to hear how you managed to find that balance. I read Josie Spinardi’s book on the subject and it has helped a lot, and really hit home with what I have been experiencing as well.

Annette@FitnessPerks August 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

That food one was awesome–I agree! I’m gonna have to share!

That IG disney one is hilare!!

Jessica @ Blog-Inspired Cooking August 28, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Add me to the recommendation for putting your avocados in the fridge. You can start them in the fridge (rock hard) and then rotate them out to ripen, and then back in the fridge once they get close to your liking.

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm

the link with the stupid dogs just made my day

Corrie Anne August 29, 2013 at 6:54 am

I LOVED the dog one. Boyd totally needs to be on there!

Meg August 29, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I freeze ripe avocados. Cut them in half, take out the pit, remove the skin and put in a ziplock bag. Make sure you get as much air as possible out of the bag (embarrassing tip: I don’t have one of those vacuum seal machines so I… suck the air out. Yep.) Some people say freezing them whole (half) changes the texture but as long as I eat them within 1-2 months, I don’t notice a difference at all. If I know it’s going to be a while before I eat them, I just mash them up with a little lime juice and freeze. :)

Trisha September 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I just laugh cried at that dog post. My husband thinks I’m nuts.