kisses for cami.

by Janetha on August 13, 2013

in unfortunately

hey, guys. i have something super important to share with you today, so please take a moment to read (and help) if you can!

i have a couple of friends, chelsea and pat carver. i’ve been friends with chels since junior high and with pat since high school.. and these two ended up marrying each other and making a couple of super cute kiddos. i hadn’t seen them for years and years, until i started going to GPP. chels and pat both go to GPP, so it has been fun to reconnect with them.

chelsea and pat have the most adorable little girl, cami. in july of 2010, little cami was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of four. after a long battle, she kicked that cancer to the curb and was cancer free as of september 2012.

in the midst of all this crappy cancer stuff, chelsea co-founded the website PS i adore you. it is a daily deal website that donates profits to children with cancer. it’s a wonderful website and company. (they were actually a sponsor for blend retreat! if you were there, you may recall a cute chevron headband in your swag bag. that was donated by PS i adore you!)

it’s incredible to see what the carvers have done to help kids with cancer, they are very passionate about making a change and doing whatever they can, whenever they can. they are some of the best people i know.

last week, the carvers got some sad news. after almost a year in remission, cami’s cancer had returned, and this time she needs a bone marrow transplant. you can read the story in chelsea’s words on the kisses for cami blog.

cami waiting in the ER

in cami’s first day of treatment, she went through a lot.

in chelsea’s words:

It all started early Thursday morning, Cami went in for surgery to have her central line (broviac) placed then we were admitted to the cancer unit.  That day was overwhelming and exhausting.  Cami went through surgery, a back poke with chemo, an EKG, an EEG, another MRI, she started the dreaded steroids and 3 different chemotherapies.. all in the first day!  We were blown away by Cami’s attitude through the entire thing!  She was so brave and strong and just all around amazing, oh I love her so!

doesn’t that just touch your heart? she is quite the brave and strong little lady.

as if dealing with the emotional and physical hardships of her cancer returning isn’t enough, there is the financial aspect of it all. the cost of the bone marrow transplant along is close to $300,000 and their insurance will not be covering all of that. additionally, the cost of a second round of hospital stays is going to add up.

one great thing about bountiful, utah is the community is very strong and supportive. within days, several have reached out to see what can be done to help cami and the carvers with this newfound situation.

on saturday, september 7th, there will be an event held to raise money to help with the medical bills.

KFC

there is a facebook event with more information about the fundraiser —-> HERE!

the event will be held at salon revive on 505 S main street in bountiful from 3-5pm on saturday the 7th. there will be haircuts, spa services, a silent auction, food, games, and much more.

be the match, a national marrow donor program, will be at the event as well.

they will be swabbing mouths in order to match cancer patients with donor matches. i had no idea that it was as simple as a swab in order to find marrow matches. i am thrilled to know be the match will be there! once tested, your information will be listed in the registry and will become part of every patient’s search for a matching marrow donor. you can even send your swab in through the mail if you can’t attend this event. i think this is amazing!

i know the majority of you are not local and will not be able to attend the event, but if you ARE local, i wanted to let you know all about this. please save the date and come if you can!

if you would like to donate an item for the silent auction, i am helping collect anything under the sun. if you have a company that would like to donate something or if you simply want to donate a gift card or item to auction off, please let me know in the comments or you can email me using my contact form. every little bit helps!

if you would simply like to make a monetary donation to cami, you can do so via paypal. click the image below OR simply go to childrenandtheearth.com, click the upper right link that says “donate”, and then specify that the donation is for “cami carver” when finalizing your paypal payment.image

i know not everyone can help financially, that is definitely understandable. but another way you can help is to simply send cami some cheer during her hospital stay.

PS i adore you has asked everyone to reach out to little cami:

Cami will be living in the hospital for the next month and we want to do all we can to make her smile! We want to flood her room with gifts, letters & treats. It can be as simple as a little note! She loves arts and crafts, littlest pet shop, and all stuffed animals! Please help us spread the word! Send ‘mail love’ to Cami Carver at PO BOX 615, Farmington Utah 84025. Together we can make a BIG difference!! #camilove

i have been working on building a website for donations for cami and for the big event. there is a lot of content to be added, so it may be about a week before it’s done. once it is finished i will let you guys know so you can follow the action there!

so that’s my plea for the day. we are all rooting for cami to kick cancer’s butt this second time around. please help if you can, and if you are a prayer.. keep her in your prayers. thanks so much!

Linz @ Itz Linz August 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm

donated via paypal!! thanks for sharing, janetha. sounds like cami is such a fighter and her attitude is just absolutely inspiring! there will be millions of people rooting for her!!

Susie August 13, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Oh dear, a bone marrow transplant is such a crazy thing to go through, I can’t imagine going through it as a little girl. She’ll be in recovery for a while – that’s a lot of childhood lost. I hope you get lots of people out to the event and YES to bone marrow registry!! As the potential recipient of bone marrow some day, it is an oft neglected area of the whole donation thing. It’s not just leukemia patients that need it!

Erica August 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Cami! You will kick this cancers butt! I will be donating. Going to paypal now <3

Erica August 13, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Sent!

Miranda August 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Just sent them everything that was in my paypal account. Thanks for sharing, Janetha. Cami is so precious!

xo,
MK

Shady August 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Best of luck to Cami! My thoughts are with her and her family.

As a side note, for your readers that are in Canada and want to become part of the bone marrow registry the website is http://www.onematch.ca.

Janetha August 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

awesome! thank you for that link!

Meg @ A Dash of Meg August 13, 2013 at 8:18 pm

cami is so amazing! i love her already! thanks for sharing this janetha! <3 thank you so much. i will definitely be helping out <3

Chelsea Carver August 13, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I am in tears. I cannot even begin to express how much the love and support means to us! It is truly getting us through this! Giant hugs to you all!!

betty August 14, 2013 at 6:53 am

thanks for sharing this information along! i’m going to send a donation on Friday when I get paid!

Nicole C August 14, 2013 at 9:37 am

My best bud Heather, who you met at Blend, is organizing an event very similar to what you all are doing. They are helping out a 3 year old who has Stage 4 Neuroblastoma Cancer. I will let her know about this event, if you have a facebook link, maybe we can share it.

Janetha August 14, 2013 at 10:10 am

heather is a babe! that is so cool. the FB is http://facebook.com/kissesforcami <3

Nicole C August 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

She totally is, always has been. It’s actually a group of her friends who are starting a non-profit called pink hearts. Through a charity called CASA they met the family previously. So, Heather is helping organize the event at the salon she works at. I’m helping spread the word. I will share your link too. <3

lindsay August 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

she’s beautiful, inside and out! praying for Cami. And sharing, thank you for letting us know.

xxoo

Biz August 15, 2013 at 10:12 am

So sad that she has to be so brave at such a young age! I wish I could help financially, but my new insurance stinks and I just found out my insulin is going to cost me $1100 a month until I meet my 2500 deductible – gah! But, reading this story, I am not going to feel so sorry for myself!

I’ll be sending a card for sure!

Brittany @ read, run, repeat August 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this — my 8 year old niece just went through a very similar situation when she was diagnosed with aplastic anemia.. Being in the hospital is so, so hard. I will definitely be sending some love her way!!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut August 15, 2013 at 6:03 pm

You are so awesome for setting up a site for them! Said a prayer! She is certainly stronger than me! <3

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Thank you for sharing this heart-wrenching story. I made a small donation … every little bit counts. Best wishes for her and her family.

calee August 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm

thank you for sharing this. what a brave little girl.

Kim of Mo'Betta August 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

My heart breaks for all your friends are going through. I saw the mention of your post at Biz’s site. My dad was diagnosed with Leukemia a few years ago and underwent a bone marrow transplant. It’s a long and hard road, but I have faith a donor will be found just like it was for my dad. His donor was a stranger that lives in another country, and b/c she made the decision to join the registry, but Dad is alive and well today! It’s been 3 years! Becoming a member of the registry is one of the easiest things someone can do and it saves lives every day. Thanks for helping to spread the word!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I went to donate but the only place to specify anything about Kami was to make a note to the seller, and I’m guessing we’d just say it’s for her- is that correct?

Janetha August 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Yes! That’s right. Thank you! xoxoxo

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

done and done

Lele August 22, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Hey lady- just wanted to let you and everyone know that after being in the registry for just a few years, I donated bone marrow. It felt amazing to me to know that cells in my body were going into someone else’s and helping them heal; and it also helped me take a look at my life and realize what was really valuable (aka, not my job at the time, which I subsequently quit!) My last update on my recipient was in April, 6 months after the transplant, and the woman who I donated to had fully engrafted (meaning my blood stem cells were successfully making new white blood cells for her immune system) and was feeling well enough to start going back to work! Anyway, I’m happy to share anything about the process for anyone who’s skeeved out- hit me up at lelelurvesplants@gmail.com. Best wishes to your friends’ beautiful little girl!

Janetha August 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing, lovely!

Karoline August 26, 2013 at 7:23 am

It breaks my heart to see someone as young as her have to go through this. My fiancé just underwent bone marrow transplant last week, and the whole thing is the hardest thing to ever go through. Just the emotional distress of having someone you love with cancer is so hard. Cancer seriously sucks! I’m happy to say that I’m in the registry, and hoping to one day be able to save a life. That would mean the world to me! I will be donating to Cami this week as soon as I get paid! :) Best wishes to her, and everybody out there with Cancer. Dreaming for a cure for everyone!

Samantha November 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I was just wondering if this address for Cami is still good? I would love to send her a surprise to brighten her day. I have been following her story and I am so happy she got her transplant.

Janetha November 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Let me check with her mama and I will get back to you:)

Samantha November 21, 2013 at 1:03 pm