summer vacation: the last day.

by Janetha on August 9, 2013

in eating out,travel

hi! happy friday! man, it’s hard to believe that a week ago today i was enjoying myself in maine. now i am back in the 84087 just doing the daily grind… sigh. sure wish my job was to be a traveling food critic. that would seriously be my dream job!

anyway, the last day of our boston & maine trip.. let’s talk about it.

i woke up super early—the earliest i’d woken up the entire vacation—6:30 in the AM! and, yes, that’s super early in my book. the reason i popped out of bed was that i wanted to go check out the local crossfit gym. i hadn’t worked out the entire trip (even though i had packed no less than four workout outfits… ) and i thought it would be a fun thing to try out. i had never done crossfit before, but GPP has a lot of similar movements and so i was confident i would enjoy myself.

i headed to crossfit beacon, which was on the other end of town, for the 7 AM class.

the drop in class was $25 and it came with a free t-shirt, which is a pretty great deal if you ask me! i showed up 15 minutes early so i could fill out any paperwork required. as i waited for the class to start, about ten new people came through the door. i thought that was pretty out of the ordinary, and i was right. as it turned out, a girl was getting married that day and she had her whole wedding party coming to the class to workout together before the wedding shenanigans got started. how fun!

the WOD included moves that i was already familiar with, which was nice.

one impression i had about crossfit was wrong—i figured the workouts were pretty quick. as it turns out, there is a warm up, a strength session, a metabolic conditioning session (metcon), and a cool down. when all was said and done, the WOD took just over an hour. it was definitely a change for me, since my GPP workouts take an average of 25 minutes. (some are as little as 10 minutes and others take up to 45—but the majority last 25ish minutes.)

anyway, after our warm up we moved onto overhead presses. i teamed up with a couple of girls and we shared a bar. they were strict, so i only ended up with 60# as my max. then we moved on to the metcon which was two minutes of double unders (which i struggled with because my rope was too short and all the longer ones were being used) followed by 10 minutes of burpee box jumps and sprints. the Rx box for ladies was 20”, but the box at my gym is 15”, so it was a little different. i actually liked the higher box. i managed to complete five rounds in the ten minutes. not bad! it was rainy on the sprints, but i was still smiling afterwards.

i definitely enjoyed the crossfit class all around. the environment, the people, and the movements were all great. it would be fun to go again the next time i am traveling. it’s fun to meet like-minded locals!

i headed back to pomegranate inn just in time for the breakfast. i met up with marshall and we headed to the dining room for another three-course meal. we had coffee and the same greek yogurt/granny smith apple/orange juice as we’d had the day before. the first course of this meal was roasted pineapple with pistachios, mint, and crème fraîche.

the second course was a delicious cinnamon streusel coffee cake. it was so M-word.

the third course we had the option of an omelet or buttermilk waffles with berries and bacon. since i’d ordered an omelet the day before, i went with the waffles. i was kind of on sweet overload from the first two courses, but i figured the savory, salty bacon would balance things out.  plus, marshall let me eat his bacon, so it worked out well.

the entire meal was incredible. i lingered a bit afterward, chatting with the innkeeper about traveling. i am so envious of his job—hang out in a beautiful city and serve people breakfast. that’s my idea of a great career.

after breakfast we packed up our luggage and checked out of the inn. i was sad to go! but we had a fun day planned before heading back to the airport in boston. if you are looking for a place to stay in portland, i definitely suggest pomegranate inn. we were very impressed!

we headed to cape elizabeth to check out the well known portland head lamp. it was overcast and cool, perfect for walking around the area and taking in the beauty of it all.

IMG_1353 (2) IMG_1349
IMG_1342IMG_1358 (2)

apparently there was a race (beach to beacon) the next day, so there were lots of people there setting up for that. i had no idea! a few of my blog friends were actually running the race and were getting into maine later that day—i just missed them. shoot.

after cape elizabeth, we headed south to old orchard beach. i am so glad we decided to make a pit stop there because it was a super cool beach!

IMG_1373IMG_1374IMG_1379
IMG_1386IMG_1387IMG_1389IMG_1390 (2)IMG_1391

there were lots of people, carnival rides, cute shops, and lots of food. marshall grabbed some pizza and shared it with the seagulls. fun fact, did you know the seagull is the utah state bird? yeah.. we don’t have a sea anywhere near us.. but the great salt lake is even saltier than the sea.

i didn’t eat anything (although i did get a huge lemonade to quench my thirst) because i was saving my appetite for a lobster roll! i can’t believe i waited to the very last meal of the trip to try one. it was on the top of my list the whole time! marshall isn’t a fan of seafood, though, so we always went to restaurants where we both would enjoy what was on the menu. (not complaining, because everything i ate the whole trip was remarkable!)

we stopped in kittery at bob’s clam hut so i could get my much-anticipated lobster roll.

IMG_1419 (2)IMG_1417 (2)

i got it to go and enjoyed it in the car on our way back to boston. i loved each and every bite–it definitely did not disappoint! i immediately consulted yelp to see if i could get a lobster roll anywhere in utah. sadly, i can’t.

we made it to the airport right on time. we grabbed some coffee and then boarded our flight. five hours later, we were back in utah… and our adventures in boston and maine were already just memories.

i am so glad we decided to take this trip! initially we were planning to go to europe for our summer vacation, but then our relationship got a little rocky and we called that trip off. (i had asked for time off for europe two YEARS in advance.. not even joking! we will definitely be going there within the next year or two.)

we decided to take this trip on a whim because we wanted to see beach house in concert. i had NO idea that i would love portland, maine so dang much. that just happened to be where they were performing. i am so glad they led us there, because it is definitely one of the greatest places i have been (and i have been lots of places.)

thanks for reliving my trip with me! i hope you have enjoyed the recaps. i will be back to regularly scheduled blogging (whatever that even means) on monday. i might pop in over the weekend.. but i have lots to do. i still haven’t unpacked my suitcase completely (I KNOW) and i have a 2-hour-long workout in the morning to finish off Rx+ week. it should be fun!

i hope you enjoy whatever you do this weekend! have a good one!

1. if you could have ANY job in the world, what would it be? me: traveling food critic, doggy daycare owner, b&b innkeeper, or something where i can make people food all day.

Cecilia August 9, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Loved reading about your vacation and seeing all the great pictures. Gives me new appreciation for my “neck of the woods”.

Erica August 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I adore your workout top- so darn cute! Thats really cool that the bride had her bridal party workout. Maine- love. Lobster- mmmm.

1. if you could have ANY job in the world, what would it be? I’d just want to teach group fitness! :)

2. do you go to the local gym when you are out of town? or do you work out on your own when traveling? YUP!!!

Catherine August 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Portland is one of my favorite cities to visit! I loved reading your recaps because it gave me some places to add to my “must see” list the next time I’m there :)

Any job in the world? Event or wedding planner

Working out when travelling? I always go with the best of intentions to workout but usually find it hard to fit in. I justify my lack of scheduled workouts by the amount of walking I tend to do while on vacation.

lindsay August 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

i’ll be at old orchard beach in 2 weeks!!! GAH.. why didn’t we go together?!! but i am going for my husbands race. Wanna come?

Katie August 10, 2013 at 5:42 am

Dream Job– food critic, coffee/smoothie/juice bar owner & race coordinator

Sometimes I will workout on Vacation…Usually just some running though

P.S. Thanks for being so honest about your relationship with your husband…I feel like you are one of the few bloggers who are up front and open that life isn’t “perfect” :)

Katie August 10, 2013 at 6:01 am

Aw, so glad you guys had a good time! Looks like the Pomegranate worked out… I love how B&B’s always have the best homemade bread! B and I had such a magical time when we went to that lighthouse… the same photo you posted has been my phone’s background for 1.5 years!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 10, 2013 at 7:02 am

Maine looks so pretty! It’s not a place I had ever considered visiting before, but now I think I have to. And cool that you were able to check out Crossfit on vacation, while I don’t think I’d be able to afford a Crossfit gym membership, I do think it would be fun to check out sometime.

julie August 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

oh man SO fun that you went to a drop in Crossfit class AND they gave you a tshirt with the deal too!? That’s actually REALLY good. Hah when I went to Cali 2 weeks ago I packed so much workout clothes and didn’t put them on once – except to sleep in my spandex when I ran out of pajamas hahahah. I think I’ll remember that for when I get married to make my wedding party hit the gym with me that morning – that way everyones arms look great for pictures ;) ;)

Jamie August 10, 2013 at 10:32 am

I would love to be paid to be a food taster! I’ve never gone to a gym when traveling. I’ll either use the gym in the hotel or find a quick workout online that I can do anywhere!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 11, 2013 at 2:33 am

I’m now travelling for work interstate Mon-Thu for the next 6 weeks so have found a gym near the hotel I stay at to work out at as the one in the hotel was way too basic for me.

I always thought cross fit workouts were quick too so it is interesting to know how much longer they really are!

Errign August 12, 2013 at 5:20 am

SO fun to see you in my “neck of the woods” over here in New England. I live about 2 hours from both Boston & Portland and I definitely need to take a trip to Portland soon to eat at all the delicious places you mentioned! :)

Jessica August 12, 2013 at 8:31 am

Saw this cheap owl necklace and ring and thought of you!! So cute!

Kate August 12, 2013 at 11:09 am

Great reviews! My fiancé and I don’t really have the money or time for a big honeymoon, so we have been trying to find some place we could drive to and enjoy. I will definitely be pushing hard for Portland after this!

Nicole C August 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I have recently considered going back to school to be a nurse. Mainly so I can travel and help kids in poverty stricken areas. Travel and help people, that’s a major score if you ask me. Our new intern asked me what i would be doing if I didn’t live here. I said just give me a backpack and I’m gone.

When we were back east last time, I worked out in the basement of Ben’s Aunts place. She transformed a space in the basement into the cutest room for us, and she kept all the yoga balls in there for me. Even cut out some ab workouts for me. :)

RunEatRepeat August 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I can’t believe we missed each other!!! Boo. Come visit :)

Annette@FitnessPerks August 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm

You are gorgeous!!!

I am not a huge traveller within the us actually–I tend to go to other countries (and my mom is from a diff country), so that is fun to see such beautiful places in the us! Thanks for taking us along for the ride ;)

dream job: being a mom & a les mills trainer.

I don’t usually go to diff gyms while on vacay…..yah. I usually am way lazy ;)

Janetha August 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

you’re living the dream :)

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I’ve never been that far east! Looks like so much fun. And yeah – a food critique would be the ultimate job :)

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie August 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I would love to try new gyms/workouts when I go out of town. I usually just end up taking bike rides around the town, or going on hike. That way I get to see the new place too!
Did you like crossfit? or GPP better?

betty August 13, 2013 at 7:14 am

omg.. Barbara and I ALWAYS say if we won the lottery, we would quit our jobs and start a doggie daycare. HOW FUNNY. I thought we were the only ones! love it! looks like you had a great time.

I love ALL seafood except lobster and oysters. i’m not sure what it is about lobster, I just cant hang.