summer vacation: boston.

by Janetha on August 3, 2013

in eating out,travel

heyyyy youuuuu guyyyys! i’m BACK! right now i am relaxing on the couch with marshall and the pups. i will tell you one thing, i am ALWAYS going to plan my vacations so i get home on a friday. it’s so nice to have the whole weekend to unpack, grocery shop, and unwind before heading back to work on monday. perfect! we went to the farmers market, trader joe’s, and whole foods today and restocked our empty fridge.

although i have only been gone a week, it feels like a lot longer. that’s probably because i sandwiched two trips back to back–vegas and then boston/maine. i was actually going to blog about vegas initially, but it seems like so long ago and i have too much to say about boston and maine that i am nixing the vegas recap. all you need to know is that we had a great time celebrating michelle’s bachelorette party, you should definitely see zumanity if you are looking for a sexy show, and i am a little too old for vegas.. haha. it was tons of fun, though! here are a couple photos of the whole crew.

Screen Shot 2013 08 03 at 4 44 58 PMScreen Shot 2013 08 03 at 4 59 23 PM

michelle’s wedding is in a couple of weeks. so exciting!

i got home from vegas at 10 AM last sunday. i came home, packed, and then turned right around and went back to the airport to head to boston with marshall (my husband for any newcomers.) we got into boston just past midnight, so we headed straight to the hotel and crashed. we stayed at a courtyard marriott in the back bay/tremont street area.

i know it’s probably not too common to sleep your vacation away (or maybe it is, i don’t know?) but we didn’t wake up on monday until 12:30 PM. ha! i guess vegas and the time change threw me through a loop and i needed some sleep.

we cleaned up and wanted breakfast, so i consulted yelp (my BFF the entire trip! i try to never dine places with less than 4 stars on yelp) and found a nearby restaurant that served breakfast all day. it was a greasy spoon diner called charlie’s sandwich shoppe. it was a cute, old, cash-only spot with friendly staff and the food smelled great.

IMG 0977

we ended up ordering two things to share–one sweet, one savory. for the sweet, we had the cape cod french toast, which was definitely my favorite of the two dishes. i love my french toast to be totally saturated and soggy on the inside, and this fit the bill. the tart cranberries were swimming in a sweet sauce that served as the perfect french toast topping. a dusting of powdered sugar was the finishing touch. (i could really never been a food critic, my descriptions are lacking.. haha.. but you get the idea!)

IMG 0981

for the savory side of things, we had the award-winning turkey hash and eggs over medium. i know i said the french toast was my favorite of the two, but that doesn’t mean i didn’t LOVE this dish. it reminded me of thanksgiving for breakfast. i have no idea what was in that hash, but it was addictive and i kept going back for just one more bite. it was also pretty tasty to pair the cranberries from the french toast with a bite of the turkey hash–that took the thanksgiving factor up a notch!

IMG 0978

i had literally dozens of people tell me we had to do a duck tour while in boston, so our next stop was to purchase tickets for the tour. we were scheduled for the 4 o’clock spot, so we had some time to kill before then. we ended up wandering down newbury street which turned out to be my favorite part of boston! it’s so cute and i loved all the fun shops. we grabbed some coffee from wired puppy. i branched out and ordered a turkish iced coffee which was an americano infused with cardamom and topped with cream. it was definitely different, but i really enjoyed the unique flavor!

IMG 0988IMG 0990

we did the duck tour and our driver was awesome! he was super informative but also had a great sense of humor. we sat right up front and had a great view of the city.

IMG 1016

it was the perfect way to see a lot of sights in a short amount of time–the tour was just under two hours. the bus takes you around the city to see historical sights, and then it turns into a boat and goes on the water! at one point marshall even got to steer the boat.

IMG 1010

it started to rain during the tour so we did get a little wet, but by the time it was over, the rain had stopped. perfect timing!

we were hungry again, so we consulted yelp for a good italian restaurant. this is where my searching skills were off, because i was trying to find the name of an italian restaurant in the north end that our duck tour guide had mentioned. we planned to eat dinner there and then head to the famous mike’s pastries afterward for dessert. however, when we hopped in a cab and told the driver where to take us.. it turned out it wasn’t in the north end at all. oops!

IMG 1039

we decided to eat there anyway, since we were already on our way. it was an italian restaurant called carlos cucina italiana. we ordered drinks and a caesar salad to start. they also brought out warm, crusty bread and the best olive oil i’ve ever been served with bread at any restaurant.. ever.

IMG 1026
IMG 1027IMG 1025

while we were looking over the menu, marshall realized his phone was missing! he assumed he left it in the cab. after about 15 calls from my phone to his, i was about to call verizon to report it lost. i decided to try his phone one last time, and someone answered! a girl who had been in the cab after us had picked it up and we made arrangements to meet her after we ate dinner. PHEW!

i was so glad his phone had been located and we were able to enjoy our meal. marshall ordered gnocchi spezzatino which was potato dumplings with medallions of chicken, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, capers, and fresh basil in a light plum sauce. INCREDIBLE.

IMG 1029

i ordered the pollo all a irene, which was sautéed chicken breast, potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, and onions in a white wine sauce. i enjoyed my dish, but thought it was all a bit too dry. i borrowed some of marshall’s sauce and it worked out perfectly.

IMG 1030

after dinner we headed on our journey to pick up marshall’s phone. the girl who had it was in south boston, so it was somewhat of a journey. it was fine, though, because everything was fun and new to us! we ended up at a bar called stadium. we picked up his phone (and her bill, it’s the least we could do!) and decided to stay to have a few beers since we were already there.

IMG 1045

i had a tasty blueberry beer followed by a curious traveler shanty–both were delicious! i love trying new brews.

after leaving stadium, we decided to call it a night. even though we hadn’t started our day until 1 o’clock, we had packed a lot in and were so tired! we headed back to the hotel and got some much needed shut eye before day #2 in boston.

that concludes recap numero uno! be back next time with more summer vacation fun. hope your weekend is going well!

1. have you ever lost anything important while vacationing? what was it/what did you do? i thought i’d lost my passport while in ireland, but luckily it was (oddly) tangled up in the sheets. false alarm! but that would have been BAD.

2. how do you decide what restaurants to eat at while on vacation?  i rely heavily on yelp and suggestions from others. thanks to all of you who told us where to eat in boston and maine!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine August 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

When I was little (like 7) I left my favorite stuffed animal cow at the Hampton Inn my mom and I were staying at during my dance compition. It was of course lost in the sheets, which I didn’t check (even though my mom told me to). But luckily a maid found ti and held it for us. So my mom drove back 3 hours a week later to get the cow at the hotel haha! We named him “Hampty” after that! (Gotta love moms!)

Tracey C August 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Carlos’s is awesome! You were in Allston which is a fun, hip college and post college neighborhood. But yes, a long way to Southie! Hope you did get to check out the North End. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in our city!

Jessiker August 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Yay! Liverpool has a duck tour I’ve always wanted to do it. That gnocchi looks so good. I miss you.

Jess T August 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm

My husband lost his wedding ring in the ocean on vacation 2 years ago. Never found it :-(

I’m a big fan of urbanspoon and planned all of our meals from there when we did a road trip through New England. I don’t know how I ever found good food without it!

Brittany August 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Oh Boston, what a fun city. It looks like your first day was jammed packed with fun and good eats.

And, I know exactly what you mean about coming home from vacation on a Friday. We did the same thing for our honeymoon and it was so nice having the rest of the weekend to get our lives back in order — run errands, get foods, do laundry, etc.

Long time, no chat, btw. I hope you’re doing well. :)

Alaina August 4, 2013 at 4:49 am

Looks like you had a great first day in Boston! I’ve worked in the city for years and I haven’t been to Charlie’s yet! :-)

Were you able to make it to the farmer’s market on Tuesday in Copley Square?

Erica August 4, 2013 at 5:30 am

SO fun! I actually went to high school in the Boston area! It is beautiful there in the summer. What a gorgeous group of ladies in Vegas! I don’t think I’ve ever lost anything TOO important while traveling- mostly clothes.

Meg @ A Dash of Meg August 4, 2013 at 5:37 am

i loved this recap babe! it made me so stinkin happy for you :) i am so happy you got to go to so many awesome restaurants! they all sound so good. what are you talking about!? you could totally be a food critic! totally! i really never use yelp. although i probably should since you’re more likely to get to the good spots. when my parents and i were in barbados we just did the judging of the menus ourselves and always lucked out! obviously we don’t always have that experience, but we were lucky that time!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats August 4, 2013 at 5:51 am

In Australia we use Urban Spoon. When overseas I like Trip Advisor to know where to go.

So lucky about Marshall’s phone!

shani August 4, 2013 at 6:13 am

i was traveling with a friend across the canadian border right after they changed the laws mandating that you have to travel with a passport. she had it when we entered and could not find it when we were getting ready to head home so she decided too risk it. once across the border we were catching a flight out of syracuse and when we got there she started tearing through all of her luggage and lo and behold there was her passport….in a box of tampons

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com August 4, 2013 at 7:21 am

I had a little too much to drink in Vegas one night. The next morning I couldn’t find my brand new camera anywhere. I called every place we went to that night but no one saw it anywhere. I was so upset I lost my brand new camera and the entire trips photos.

Purelytwins August 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

love Boston!

One of our best friends went to school up there, and all of our girlfriends went up for a weekend and OMG what a weekend. We got into so much trouble haha Boston is such a fun city.

Loved all the pictures!! xoxo

Carly @ Snack Therapy August 4, 2013 at 8:08 am

I haven’t been to Boston since my 8th grade graduating class went on a trip, but I do remember the Duck Tour being so much fun. In fact, our driver was basically a John Lennon lookalike. Good times ;).

I like getting restaurant suggestions from locals, but I always check them out on Yelp, too. It just makes my life easier.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

I always search Yelp and Urbanspoon when looking at restaurants in a new place – a lot of the time I think people can be a little harsh (I’ve gone to restaurants I’ve loved that some people have completely torn apart on those sites) but you usually get a general feel of the place that way.

Katie August 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

I have never lost anything on vacation but once when my hubby and I went to Mexico, we ended up having to check bags at the last minute. Unbeknownst to him, he threw my passport in the suitcase. In Mexico, we had to find a really nice security guard who got the suitcase off the belt and brought it to us so we could go through immigration! That was nerve-racking!

I love the Food TV network. We eat on vacation by going on http://www.tvfoodmaps.com. Great website!

lindsay August 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

ii lost my debit card in Italy once. Travels checks are a pain in the butt. I learned that the hard way.

p.s.
I can’t wait to read about the Maine!

Stephanie @ Wholesome By Design August 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I lost my wallet in a del taco parking lot on the way to Vegas once. Luckily I realized that it had fallen out of my purse after about 5 minutes, so we turned the car around. A girl had just picked it up and my license confirmed that it was mine. No idea if she was going to take the money out of it if I hadn’t shown up just in time. She looked cholo.

By the way, LOVE Newbury street and Boston.

Arman @ thebigmansworld August 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm

The double vacation sounds like a blast! Great job on coming home then booting off again- I find most times I need a vacation from a vacation lol.

I like to mix up restaurants when travelling- half of them go by recommendations/websites the other half randomly stumble into some- I find you can seek out some true hidden gems that way (or also massive busts!)

Can’t wait to read the rest of your recap!

Chatelaine August 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

Glad you’ve been enjoying Boston and the DUCK tour:) Hope you made it to mike’s pastries.

First time in Costa Rica my husband lost his wallet 3 minutes after getting to our hotel. Never found it. He lost is green card…… we’re Canadian but live and work in the US. We had to spend 4 hours and $$$ at the US Embassy in the middle of our vacation just to get paperwork to allow him back in to the US. Not fun.

Sara @ Zero to Sixty August 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

I am glad Boston treated you well! I live 20 minutes outside the city so these recaps are really funny to me! Newbury street is AMAZING…its actually right next to Copley which has a lot of nice restaurants if you ever go again. I have never lost anything important on my trips, but I as well use Yelp and also Trip Adviser is pretty amazing as well. I feel like the reviewers on Trip Adviser are a little more realistic & less complainy about stupid stuff!

Sara :)

the delicate place (@misathemeb) August 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm

i’ve STILL not been to vegas. so i need to go before i’m like 50 over here haha. oh i’ve lost something quite important on a trip! my cell phone on my honeymoon!!! that was bad, my first trip after i got back home was to the cell phone store! i had to get a new number and everything!

ali moll August 5, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Sooo glad you got Marshall’s phone back! What a relief! Sounds like a fun, fun trip! Can’t wait to hear more about it!

I’m a YELP girl for sure! I use it for everything! Love trying out a new place based on yelp reviews!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie August 6, 2013 at 6:21 pm

that is so lucky that a nice person found his phone! we usually find restaurants from the “locals’ telling us where is good haha

kelli August 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Carlos’s is around the corner from my apartment! Glad you had a nice time.