family fun.

by Janetha on July 22, 2013

in family time

oh, hey! long time no blog. i’ve been busy with family and friends and work and working out and life in general. my sister and her family are in town from san diego and we were able to all get together for a barbecue friday night.

IMG_0610IMG_0510IMG_0622

we enjoyed burgers, hot dogs, corn, baked beans, and—most of all—the company of each other.

IMG_0525IMG_0529IMG_0537

i have three older siblings and, between all of their children, i have ten nieces and nephews. they are all so much fun!

here i am with almost all of them. ben is in the foreground not wanting to be in the photo, greyson is off being greyson, nora (my newborn niece) is still in the hospital, and my step-nephew jake wasn’t there.

sofi and izzy are just eight days apart in age. it’s a shame sofi lives in california, but they have a lot of fun together when she’s in town.

after dinner we practiced our back bends, had headstand competitions (momma b won!), and played on trampoline and monkey bars.

IMG_0603IMG_0604
IMG_0615IMG_0609IMG_0538IMG_0536

for dessert we had nielsen’s frozen custard—a staple in our family! it’s the very best.

we hung out until the sun went down. it was the perfect evening for an outdoor family party!

IMG_0556IMG_0564
IMG_0547 (2)IMG_0557

afterward i headed to my parents’ place where i finally got to meet my sister’s dog, ollie.. OH MY GOSH HE IS A SWEETIE!

IMG_0593IMG_0589

we also played rousing game of rummikub. we love playing games together and it gets pretty competitive! i lost.

IMG_0570 (2)
IMG_0576 (2)IMG_0578 (2)

it was an awesome night and so much fun to catch up with the whole family. the fun isn’t over, though, because they are here for a few more days. we are hitting up the local water park this afternoon and will be celebrating pioneer day on tuesday evening. can’t wait!

i hope you had a great weekend! be back soon with meals, moves, and everything in between.

1. do you live near your family? do you hang out often?

2. do you have any nieces &/or nephews?

emily July 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

Your family is so cute; that sounds like such a fun day! I don’t live near family (neither mine nor my husband’s), ugh. I have three nieces and I feel like I’m not going to be a part of their lives like my aunts were and it makes me sad. The one downside of growing up in the Caribbean is that my parents are now hours away by plane.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige July 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

Love how the adults get in on the silly fun, too :)
I don’t have any nieces or nephews, but I wish I did! Then I could get my kid fix without actually having one myself (for now) haha

Corrie Anne July 22, 2013 at 11:11 am

We live so stinking far away from anyone related to us. That’s one of the few downsides to living in Denver. We have 7 nieces & nephews all in Minnesota — they are hilarious, and I love them to pieces!! Our dogs totally do that stretch on us, but Pippa is pretty tall so she tries to stretch her way up to my chin! It can be a little intimidating for shorter people so we probably should have taught them better manners, but we just it love it when they do it!! Haha. Love that a a headstand competition broke out. Classic.

the delicate place (@misathemeb) July 22, 2013 at 11:51 am

omg your nieces and nephews look so much alike! i don’t have any yet! my bro lives 10mins from me but i don’t see him much and my parents live in south carolina so i only see them a few times a year. i roll solo!

Erica July 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Your family is SO darn cute! Love love love!! And that custard- YUM! My parents, Josh’s parents, and my Aunt & Uncle all live pretty close to us. I have 1 niece and 1 nephew!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm

That looks like such a fun family day! Right now I’m about an hour away from mine, but in 6 weeks I’m moving and will only be about 20 minutes away, which is awesome. No nieces or nephews for me right now, but I hope it happens eventually!

jenna July 22, 2013 at 12:25 pm

love a good summer barbecue! we have been eating a lot of meals outside, just enjoying the weather and good company. my family lives in my hometown, but I am moving back soon and so excited to spend more time with them!

betty July 22, 2013 at 12:38 pm

your arms look amazing! and i have barbara’s neices and nephews, but none from my siblings. my family and i don’t see eye-to-eye too well, so i don’t visit much, but try to hang out with my sister as much as possible.

Amalia July 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I used to live very very near my family while growing up and it is some of my best memories. Now I live a whole country away and we find other ways to connect and be together. Recently I just went home for three weeks!!!! and it was great to see everyone.

I don’t have any nieces or nephews of my own, but I consider Manfriend’s three nephews to be mine as well — they’re so fun and so full of energy and keep me busy when I’m visiting. It looks like you and your family had a great time together!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 22, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Oh my gosh–what a fun evening! I love that your mama won the handstand contest. fierce!

I love living by family…I wish I lived by more!

Lisa July 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Awe – family time is always the best! It looks like an amazing time.
But, how do you ever not have fun with family.
Yep – I live in the same city as my family and I love it, we’ve always been so close. Although my Aunt and Grandma live further away which is sad, but we visit as often as possible.

Nicole C July 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm

My Mom and Grandma live in California, that San Deigo likes to steal family members! My Dad, cousins and brother are all here but it seems like more and more people I know are bolting out of Vegas. I just need to jump on that bandwagon. I did just spend 10 days in Pittsburgh with Ben’s family. It was a blast. I came home to my huge eucalyptus tree fallen onto my neighbors house though, not cool.

Nope, no official nieces and nephews. My BFFs kids call me Aunt though. I don’t know how my brother skated past not knocking someone up.

Liesl July 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm

What a fun family!
I live about 50 + hours from my family…in a different country actually. :( I miss them so much.
I have 6 nieces and nephews and that is one of the hardest things about living so far away, not being able to see all their growing up moments.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

So fun! The only thing missing are a momma b’s utah scones, right? ;)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I love your family- they are so much fun!! I had such a good time hanging out with them in May. :)
I live nowhere near my family – they’re all on the east coast! Definitely the only downside of living in Colorado.

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 22, 2013 at 7:35 pm

How lucky you are to have family so close by to you, and such a big one at that!

Unfortunately, all my immediate family are anywhere BUT here in Australia, although it makes it more of an incentive to travel overseas to see them!

kerry July 23, 2013 at 1:14 am

I love family days! All those girls look like mini yous! haha

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 23, 2013 at 2:37 am

Your nieces and nephews are too cute :)

I agree with Kerry’s comments those girls do look like mini yous! :)

Linz @ Itz Linz July 23, 2013 at 4:55 am

so fun!! i love big families! my extended family is pretty big… right now i just have 3 niece/nephews and i totally make them do yoga too – backbends & headstands be favorites! :) :) love this post!!

Victoria July 23, 2013 at 9:15 am

I have no nieces or nephews yet, and doubt I will for a while! haha. But I do have a 4 year old cousin who feels a bit like a nephew since he’s 24 years younger than me. He lives 7 hours driving away, but we have lots of fun together whenever we’re in the same room.
Most of my family either lives in the same city or one province over, we don’t see each other too often but I guess we’re all just so busy!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness July 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I’m glad you have been able to enjoy family time! I don’t live near any of my family, half of them live in England, so it is always so special when we get to spend time together. My oldest step-brother has two sons and I am lucky to have step-nephews. It’s so fun hearing the stories of the simple things little kids find so amazing.

Michelle H. July 24, 2013 at 12:47 am

I LOVE Nielson’s frozen custard!! And Rummikub. Sounds like the perfect evening.

MizFit July 24, 2013 at 5:59 am

reason number ONE why I was sad to move from TX to CA—leaving my nieces!

proteinandpushups July 25, 2013 at 9:39 am

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

I feel silly to ask this, but I love your outfit – the shorts and the tank look really comfy for this heat. Where did you get them?

Janetha July 25, 2013 at 10:30 am

Haha I just came straight from the gym. I don’t usually wear that stuff out & about. It’s all Lululemon :)

proteinandpushups July 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

OMG, now I just feel stupid, haha!
I wish I looked like that after I get out of the gym.
Arrg, Lululemon, I can feel that this company will ruin me one day :)