twenty at the track.

by Janetha on July 15, 2013

in moves

so, here’s a story.

i asked marshall if he wanted to hit up the high school track to run some bleachers tonight. he agreed. yay. we don’t typically work out together, so i was really excited to exercise with him tonight.

i was on dinner duty for my brother, sister in law, and their kiddos (thanks for all the prayers for my baby niece, nora, by the way. she’s doing much better! still in the NICU but getting better every day) so i made some chicken caesar sandwiches. i didn’t estimate correctly and didn’t make enough for me and marshall, though, so i had to whip up another batch. i did this just before we headed out to the track. i left the chicken on keep warm in the crock pot and we headed out.

we came home, suuuper stoked to eat dinner, and saw an EMPTY CROCK POT.

IMG 0379

yeah.. guess what my two hooligan monsters learned how to do? hop up on the bar stool and then onto the counter.

IMG 0380

i guess it was eventually bound to happen.. but this is the first time in our 3 years at this house that they’ve ever gotten in to the freaking crock pot on the counter!  ugh. we had grilled sandwiches and soup instead. so mad. they are locked outside right now… guess we will have to scoot the stools away or put them outside next time i’ve got something cookin’ in the crock pot.

anyway! what i wanted to blog about tonight was the track workout marshall and i did. it was twenty minutes long and a lot of fun.

NewImage

luckily the sun had started to set, which made the 93* heat bearable. the sprinklers were on and, when combined with the light breeze, they made it somewhat refreshing! we started with an easy warm up lap around the track (400m) at an 8:00/mile pace.

IMG 0372

the actual workout was done on the bleachers. the particular bleachers we used had fifteen steps and we went up and down each aisle. there were six aisles. we started at one end of the bleachers and did a little strength training before hitting the stairs. i thought of a few body-weight strength moves to incorporate into the workout.

first up was triceps dips.. 30 reps.

IMG 0358

after the dips we sprinted up each aisle (15 steps) and ran down (15 steps) and then jogged across to the next aisle. when we reached the end of the row of bleachers, we did another 30 triceps dips before jogging back to the beginning.

IMG 0367

we rested one minute before round two.

IMG 0357

the next round was pushups. we did the same routine–30 pushups on either end of the bleachers with the sprints up/run down/jog across in between. marshall did strict pushups and i did them on an incline.

IMG 0363

we rested another minute before round three.

the final round was the same routine once again, but with 30 squats on either end of the bleachers.

IMG 0364

we took a breather after the third round. it had only been about 16 minutes but we were definitely winded.

IMG 0368

we finished up the workout with another easy lap around the track to cool down.

IMG 0369IMG 0370

even though the workout was only 20 minutes total, we felt like it was challenging and effective! plus, we had a good time together.

IMG 0376

here is a rundown of the entire workout:

NewImage

give it a shot! it’s tougher than expected.

now we are winding down, eating popcorn, and watching under the dome.. our new favorite show! minus the dinner debacle, i’d say it was a pretty perfect evening. hope yours was fabulous, too!

1. what’s your favorite body-weight strength training move?

2. do you have a workout buddy?

kristine July 15, 2013 at 10:53 pm

you guys are adorable!!
to answer your questions: i don’t have one (for both 1 or 2) ;)

candice@hungrymotherrunner July 15, 2013 at 11:21 pm

haha! oh penny and randy!! HOW?! That is so funny!
That is an awesome workout! Great job J and marsh!

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 15, 2013 at 11:50 pm

My favourite body part to train would be chest, which ironically is by far my weakest body part. I used to train with my mate but he recently changed working hours so on my lonesome, which I don’t mind!

Definitely bookmarking your chicken slow cooker recipe, the freezing weather here makes comfort food that much more appealing.

Carly @ Snack Therapy July 16, 2013 at 12:06 am

I love when I convince my boyfriend to workout with me. So much fun :).

Toronto Girl West July 16, 2013 at 12:22 am

No lie – your dogs are crazy!!!!!!! I know it must be frustrating so I’ll try not to giggle but their antics always leave me a bit amazed (and grateful that my little one is not nearly as talented! :P

PS: Happy to hear your niece is doing better!

Jena@21days July 16, 2013 at 4:08 am

Great workout! I mostly workout alone but I love working out with my husband, especially when I’m feeling un-motivated or tired! He pushes me to keep going!

Jena July 16, 2013 at 4:49 am

Sounds like a tough workout!

Your dogs…. My dogs would be grounded for LYFE. That is crazy!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) July 16, 2013 at 4:50 am

Your workout sounds so intense (but FUN!)

I am stealing this idea…can’t wait to try it. :D

lindsay July 16, 2013 at 5:15 am

wait… i think i see something on marshall. Yep, it’s a smile.
Love it!

Great workout.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 16, 2013 at 5:40 am

oh man..i miss you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

betty July 16, 2013 at 6:30 am

omg your dogssss! haha did they take the lid off, too? or do you leave your cp un-covered. i’m glad we’re not the only ones who have to worry about stuff sitting on the counter. although, yogi is a lot bigger than your little ones.

Janetha July 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm

yup.. lid off, too. ugh.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 16, 2013 at 6:33 am

Your dogs are freaking hilarious!!

Tamara July 16, 2013 at 6:54 am

That workout looks fun and INtense!!

Wow, your pups are adventurous… sorry they chowed down on your dinner. :/

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 16, 2013 at 6:56 am

Looks like an awesome workout! Although, that’s slightly terrible about the dogs. Makes me happy that my pug is small enough that he can barely get on the couch, let alone onto a bar stool ;-)

shaunna July 16, 2013 at 8:21 am

Wish I could get my hubby to work out with me. His fave workout is putting chips in his mouth :)

ali moll July 16, 2013 at 8:33 am

Sounds like a great workout Janetha! We’ve been taking the dogs to the track to run around, while I walk…..and do bleachers. I need to incorporate some of those strength moves in too!

Silly dogs! Amazing what they will do for some dinner! :)

Have a great day!

Corrie Anne July 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

Oh man!! Your dogs got you good!!!! Boyd has done that to me a few times. Sometimes I leave him in bed when he’s totally passed out and I want to go somewhere… but then he wakes up and gets into mischief!! What a fun track workout to do together!!!!! I love working out with Kevin. Our coaches actually like to pit us against each other. Last night they had me use a higher box than was prescribed for women so we could compete doing the exact same workout. I also love running with Kevin although we don’t have good matched paces. My other best workout buddy is Pippa, of course!! I actually searched for a Vizsla because they are supposed to be one of the best running dogs, but Pippa’s Vizsla/choc lab mix has turned out to be a perfect fit! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 16, 2013 at 9:39 am

Looks like fun! I wish I could get my husband to workout with me… Maybe I’ll try to convince him to do something like this one of these days!

Erica July 16, 2013 at 9:44 am

SO fun! I always want to work out with Josh, but we rarely do. Maybe I can con him into some running this weekend ;). I can’t believe the dogs got on the counters- boogers!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 16, 2013 at 9:53 am

you guys are too cute! Jared wouldn’t love this at all- he’s all about mtn biking. hah.

And that story about the crock pot?!? Is it bad that I laughed?! ;) oh man. I would’ve been so so mad.

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl July 16, 2013 at 11:25 am

I have to say squats are slowly becoming a favorite of mine. And I don’t have a workout buddy, it’s just me! I can’t believe the pups got into your crockpot!! Craziness!

PS – you and Marshall look adorbs!

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen July 16, 2013 at 11:26 am

I need to take advantage of the track to switch it up once in awhile.. thanks for reminding me

Amy July 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

great workout!! will definitely give it a try

the delicate place (@misathemeb) July 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm

1. your dogs are crazy! they love food haha
2. you guys are so cute ^_^ this looks pretty hard…esp in this heat! #iamdying
3. my fave body weight exercise is a reverse lunge with a side chop (twist motion) that prob doesn’t make any sense but i love how it tones the legs and wittles the waist at the same time!

purelytwins July 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm

love the workout pics — you two are soo cute!
I am lucky and have two workout buddies – Michelle and Gary ;)

Jaglangham July 16, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I can’t stop laughing, that is HILARIOUS about your dogs!! Wasn’t it hot, hope they didn’t burn their tongues?! (Although they may deserve that?) SO funny, made my day!

momma b. July 17, 2013 at 11:57 am

well your workout looks fun, Marshall looks so handsome and you are very cute – but what really takes the cake are those pups getting ON the island, taking OFF the lid and eating ALL of that chicken – they are just the silliest kids ever!!!

xoxo

Calee (@chimes) — life + running July 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm

love it when mark actually agrees to work out with me! it happens very infrequently.

and dammit, doggies. i’d be super pissed but fortunately my little hooligan monster is way too short for those shenanigans. we’ve been kenneling him when we leave the house lately (for his own good b/c he isn’t supposed to be jumping on and off furniture).

Heather July 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

You have inspired me to do 20 at the pool….running is out of the question right now…..:(

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Greg and I RARELY work out together either- but it’s so fun when we do! We are just not on the same schedule and usually do different stuff.
BTW- I was sitting on the couch reading this on my laptop and had to show Greg the crockpot photos. We were CRYING laughing so hard thinking about the doggies getting into that! That’s TALENT!

Katie July 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Ahh, those silly pups!!

Meek and I used to do track workouts all the time together. We haven’t in almost a year. I’m ready to start that up again…might try this one first!

the muscle maximizer July 21, 2013 at 4:48 am