(wedding) showered.

by Janetha on June 17, 2013

in fun with friends

hey, there! happy monday evening to you. i hope your week started off well. i meant to blog about kristen’s wonderful wedding shower yesterday, but time slipped away from me between grocery shopping, napping, and celebrating father’s day! it happens.

anyway, saturday afternoon i helped throw kristen a kitchen-themed wedding shower! the shower took place in kristen’s mom’s beautiful backyard. the sun was shining and it was the perfect day for the event! i was in charge of decorations and party favors along with any activities (or games.. but we opted out of games because they are pretty corny.) momma b helped me out with everything, she’s the best! kristen’s colors are gray and green. she has also thrown a little chevron into the mix. we kept those details in mind when we decorated for the shower.

we kept it simple and decorated with balloons, fresh flower bouquets, green and gray tablecloths, and heart-shaped white confetti.

IMG 7887IMG 7881

did you know about the nationwide helium shortage?? it took my mom forever to track down balloons! it’s been going on for quite some time now, but seems to be getting even worse.

in lieu of games, i created an activity table where guests could get to work on filling out colorful notecards for the bride.

IMG 7878

in one box the guests would place memories they had of or with kristen and in the other they would place marital advice.

IMG 7879IMG 7880IMG 7894

it was simple to make the boxes. i wrapped them with chevron wrapping paper and cut a slit in the top of each box. i made all the labels and directions on picmonkey.com. love that website!

i also used picmonkey.com for the favors. the favors were ruby snap cookies—they were all the “audrey” flavor.

IMG 7974IMG 7976

i used a kitchen utensil clip art for the front of the paper since that went with the kitchen theme. on the back of the paper, i explained how the cookie played a part in kristen and rory’s engagement story. i lucked out by finding cute chevron wrappers for the cookies!

IMG 7884

kristen’s mom was in charge of the food. she is an AMAZING chef and i always look forward to anything and everything she whips up.

IMG 7893

for the party she made a white sangria as well as a nonalcoholic cucumber lime spritzer. both were delicious.

IMG 7892

the spritzer was simply a container of limemaid concentrate, sprite zero, and sliced cucumbers.

IMG 7890

she made a cheese & cracker tray and the cheese was positioned in the shape of a wedding cake—too cute!

IMG 7901

she also made bacon biscuits (SO good) and fashioned them into miniature turkey and mustard sandwiches. they were adorably delicious.

IMG 7912

another tasty bite was caprese skewers with basil fresh from the garden. i totally need to grow my own herbs!

IMG 7897

finally she made one of the best chicken salads ever. the part i loved most about this veganaise-based chicken salad was the inclusion of water chestnuts. i would never have thought to put them in chicken salad! i also loved the crisp apples and celery in there—lots of crunch going on in the salad.

IMG 7914

the shower started out with drinks and mingling and then we moved on to enjoying the delicious food.

IMG 7917

after we had all eaten, we sat down and watched kristen open her gifts. remember, it was a kitchen-themed party, so a lot of the items had to do with cooking.. but then a lot of them had to do with cleaning.  kristen is a BIG organizer and she’s super tidy, so it was funny to see the excitement and glee on her face when she’d open one of the cleaning and/or organizing gifts. she loved all her gifts, but especially those that were related to the neat freak side of life. it was awesome!

IMG 7962

another thing all of the guests did was bring a recipe card to share a favorite recipe. several guests (including myself) wrote out a recipe and then built a gift around the recipe, including some ingredients and tools needed to make the recipe. the blank recipe cards had come with our invitations to the shower—i thought this was a super cute and clever idea!

kristen gave us bridesmaids our gift at the shower.

NewImage

she was SO thoughtful putting this together–i cried! there was a special maid of honor champagne flute, nail polish in her colors, a cucumber face mask, a tear-jerker card, and custom-made earrings for the wedding!

IMG 7903

tif from peach treats made these.. i LOVE them. three of the four girls in her wedding party have stretched lobes, and the one who doesn’t will wear fakers–earrings that look like you have stretched lobes, but don’t! so cool.

the shower was a lot of fun! i can’t believe kristen’s big day is less than two weeks away. i am super excited for her to tie the knot!

IMG 7906

love, love, LOVE.

1. what is your favorite party bite? i’ve gotta go with stuffed mushrooms or 7-layer mexican dip.

2. married gals: what were your wedding colors? single gals: do you have any in mind? mine were purple, yellow, and houndstooth!

Mandy June 17, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Omg it all turned out so crazy amazing!! Fave bite is chips n salsa if that counts and colors were black and white big surprise.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 17, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I love guacamole and corn chips or something similar with a mexican slant on it.

Not married and no real colours in mind yet :)

Erica June 18, 2013 at 12:21 am

WOW! Everything looks perfect- you did an awesome job!! Very retro chic. My favorite dip is either hummus or guacamole with veggies. Colors: black, white & grey :)

maria June 18, 2013 at 5:50 am

So cute! I had so much fun at my shower–I need someone to throw a shower for… haha

Melissa June 18, 2013 at 6:58 am

gorgeous! I love it, so pretty and clean

Tamara June 18, 2013 at 7:35 am

How fun!! Those earrings are super fine. :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 18, 2013 at 7:59 am

I adore the earrings! It’s awesome that the fake-stretched earrings are available for the other bridesmaid, too – everyone will match!
Favourite party bite: chips and guac, carrots and dip/hummus and pugs in a blanket. All amazing.

Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen June 18, 2013 at 8:28 am

nationwide helium shortage?? How am I supposed to make funny voices now? … Love the thank yous!!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

So fun! It looks like you gals did a great job with it. I had one of those “advice” boxes at one of my wedding showers too, and I loved reading them. Some of them were hilarious! Our wedding colors were cream and a burgandy color.

Kimberly J June 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

Can you share the veganaise-based chicken salad recipe. It looks so yummy!

Janetha June 18, 2013 at 10:21 am

Sorry, I didn’t make it! I think it was chicken, veganaise, water chestnuts, red grapes, celery, diced apples (i think braeburn), and chow mein noodles (the crispy ones!)

CrystalB June 18, 2013 at 9:51 am

Very cute shower! I love all the little details, including the cards on the favors.
My favorite party bite is fruit. Both my wedding shower and my baby shower had a HUGE fruit platter, and that is probably all I ate. My mom makes an awesome dip for fruit.
My wedding colors were black and brights. So think Rainbow Brite, but with a black dress instead of blue :)

Janetha June 18, 2013 at 10:20 am

ohhh i would love to know the recipe for the fruit dip!

CrystalB June 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

The fruit dip I mentioned isn’t anything fancy. She makes a cheater version which is a tub of cool whip mixed with a single container of yogurt (strawberry is best). When she makes it for me she whips coconut cream until it is light and fluffy, adds strawberry nectar or strawberry jam until it is lightly flavored, and I like to add a tiny bit of strawberry greek yogurt to amp up the flavor.

Janetha June 19, 2013 at 10:27 am

oh that sounds divine! thanks!

ali moll June 18, 2013 at 9:53 am

I loved stuffed mushrooms too! But, I’m also a sucker for meatballs! LOL! My wedding colors were….wait for it…..pink, black and white….I got married in the late 80’s! LOL!

Love the decorations for the shower! Especially the cute chevron bags for the cookies! And the cheese stacked like a wedding cake is awesome! I’ve got to remember that!

Have a great day Janetha!

momma b. June 18, 2013 at 10:12 am

It was a perfect shower and Kristen looked so beautiful! She’ll make a very striking bride – can’t wait!!

I ate my weight in the caprese skewers – they were so tasty. The cucumber drink and chicken salad definitely get my vote!!

My colors were pale pink and pale blue – hated them then still hate them….40 years ago colors were very limited and I only had one fabric store to chose from and there was no internet shopping, heck there wasn’t even an internet! So glad we now have so many cute and unique options to make showers and weddings so spectacular!
I love you – your eye for detail is unmatched!!
xo

cathy June 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

1) Fave apps are buffalo chicken dip and stuffed mushrooms.
2) We did a luau for our wedding so we had lots of tropical accents, but I let my bridesmaids all wear black since they were varying shapes and sizes.
Those earrings are gorgeous!

Annette@FitnessPerks June 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Wow that looks amazing!

I LOVE a crunchy chicken salad–so so much. Good idea to add water chestunuts fo sho.

My wedding colors were so so fun & matched my personaility–super bright! pink, orange, yellow, and green.

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige June 18, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Will you throw me my next shower???
But seriously, that looks awesome! Love the favors :)
Also..that STOVE! I haz kitchen envy.

BroccoliHut June 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm

What a CUTE shower! Love the favors.
As for favorite party food, I usually gravitate toward the guacamole!
My wedding colors were lavender and ivory.

April June 18, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Love the favors and all the thought behind it. Those bacon biscuits look amazing! My wedding colors were silver and blue.
I just wanted to say that you were amazing at the GPP pushup workout today. WOW! I try to stalk your numbers before each workout and I don’t think I will every come close to those. Congrats!

Janetha June 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

aww thank you so much!

Jenny June 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hey Janetha, you all look as if you had a great time. Completely off topic, but your arms look absolutely amazing :) It has inspired me to get back working out … I’ve been very lazy lately xx

Janetha June 19, 2013 at 2:57 pm

you are so kind! thank you for the comment!

calee June 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Nice work! And Momma B is the cutest. And I love that save the date (or invite? or graphic? whatever. it’s cute).

Trisha June 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

What an awesome shower theme/colors! All of that food looks super tasty too. I’m a sucker for shower/party food. The dips, the salads, etc. I love it all! My fave is usually any Mexican-inspired dip.
Our wedding colors were purple and green. If I were to do it again, I’d do the same! Super summery for our July wedding.

bathroom and kitchen renovations July 23, 2013 at 4:07 pm

This is the reason why smart homeowners know very well to incorporate plans for Raleigh home renovation in their spending budgets every couple of years.
When you begin your renovation undertaking, think about the proposed DIY home renovation tips.
Once you’ve decided on your project, you can get help on finalizing the details by hiring a contractor.

recetasole.weebly.com January 4, 2014 at 2:25 pm

che and chopped parsley; Guacamole (again, make your own or buy
in the deli section of your supermarket). When I say a meal,
I do not mean sitting down with a knife and folk to eat having
spent an hour cooking. Are living yoghurt assists to restore the germs in large intestine.

http://www.youtube.com/ January 15, 2014 at 10:11 am

I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, iff all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more
useful than ever before.

youtube.com January 15, 2014 at 10:03 pm

What’s upp everyone, it’s my first visit at tjis site, and pargraph is in fact fruitful in
support of me, keep uup posting these articles.

Youtube to mp3 high quality February 7, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it
up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road.
All the best

Claribel April 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Greetings! I’ve been reading your weblog for a while now and finally got the bravery to
go ahead and give you a shout out from Houston Texas!

Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!

game of thrones season 3 episode 9 May 17, 2014 at 8:55 am

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be
okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.