more random on a thursday.

by Janetha on June 13, 2013

in meals,random rambles,travel

oh heyyy. marshall is at a birthday dinner with friends and i am parked on my butt eating. that sounded like a WAY better idea than folding laundry which, to me, is the equivalent to picking up trash on the side of the freeway in 90 degree heat. trust me, i have done that before (i was a bad kid) and i think i’d pick it over laundry folding. i mean, at least i’d get some sun. and those bright orange vests they let you wear are oh-so fashionable.

anyway, i am eating eggs and toast. on my awesome bird birthday plate from marshall.

NewImage

you guys, i could eat eggs and toast for every meal of the day. in fact, this is the second time i’ve had this same meal today! actually, that’s a lie. this second time around i added cholula and parmesan cheese. i pooped two days in a row so i thought i would celebrate by eating cheese. seemed logical, right? anyway, it’s one egg over easy, 3 whites, parmesan, hot sauce, and two pieces of toast. one slice with only butter and to only be used for dipping in the runny yolk. the other slice with butter and jam, for something sweet.

i spent a lot of money today! it was for something super cool, though. travel. i firmly believe traveling is the best way you can spend your money. marshall and i have decided to take an anniversary trip! we initially planned to go to europe in 2013 (as a 30th birthday gift to both of us) but then things got a little rocky in our relationship and that plan went down the drain. but now things are peachy in love land, so we decided to book a vacation for our 3rd anniversary next month. our anny is actually the 17th, but we won’t be going until the end of july. there is reasoning for this timing.. we are actually going to see one of our fave bands perform! it happens to be marshall’s #1 band on his “must see live” list of the moment. the band, beach house, isn’t coming to a city near us anytime soon, so we are going to them… in portland, maine!

NewImage

i have always wanted to go to maine so it seemed like a great idea. i’ve also always wanted to check out boston, so we are making a trip of it and will go to both cities!

NewImage

we will be in each city for 2 1/2 days and, aside from the concert, have no real agenda. if you have any amazing travel suggestions for boston or portland (MAINE) then i would love to hear them. i already have our accommodations booked, but really want to figure out the places we must eat and the sights that are not to be missed–especially with such a short time in each town. so, lemme have it, i am all  ears! (err.. eyes.)

speaking of spending money.. i have been spending WAY too much of it lately at good old target. seriously i have been almost every day for a week and have purchased one too many things.. i gotta put a stop to this. here is a small sampling of my purchases…

NewImageNewImage

NewImageNewImage

spent too much. NBD. ariel said so.

i did abs at GPP today. if you are looking for an ab-tastic workout you can do pretty much anywhere, check it out. afterward i went to target (told you) and then to gold’s for 30 minutes of stair-steppin’ to nowhere whilst reading the latest issue of oxygen magazine.

in tosca reno’s column, i read an AMAZING quote that really struck a chord with me, and i had to share!

NewImage

ahhh.. how true is that?! loved it.

ohhh.. i got my glasses yesterday! i’m not one for shameless selfies but i did promise i’d show you guys so here ya go.

NewImage

the are these frames and i got them at elevation eyeworks in centerville, UT. i wore them today and it is super hard to get used to wearing glasses instead of contacts. i felt slightly drunk all day and a little out of it, but my eyeballs really thanked me since i gave them a chance to BREATHE for once! i won’t rock the four eyes all the time, but i do want to wear them fairly often.

i also got a rad stamp yesterday (at office depot) and used it at work all day today! i have to approve a lot of paperwork and this bad boy lets me give things a thumbs up or a thumbs down.. love it! i had way too much fun playing with it.

NewImage

it’s the little things.

finally… can i get an amen?

NewImage

i freakin’ hate wearing pants.

well, that’s all the random stuff i have to share tonight. i have some prep work to do.. i am helping throw kristen’s kitchen-themed bridal shower this saturday! i am so excited! yay, friday tomorrow.. i know i’ve been workin’ for the weekend and i can’t wait for it!

1. do you have any summer vacations planned? where are you going?

2. what store do you always over-spend at? me=target. always.

Lisa June 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I’m with you on that laundry. Worst chore ever imaginable!
Ah, your planned vacation sounds like it will be SO much fun!!
I bet it will be absolutely amazing.
I like the frames, they look good on you! I for one, can not pull off glasses at all. Must be my face shape.
I alwayssss overspend, basically everywhere. Lululemon, victoria’s secret, free people, sephora. Anywhere that has anything cute and I’m doomed. Oh and the organic grocery store too. That place adds up fast!

candice@hungrymotherrunner June 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm

That will be such a fun trip!
You two go to more concerts then ANYBODY I know.
Seriously cool though! I wish brent liked them..
We are going to boston in sept! I can’t wait!!
I always overspend at Costco and at GNC (I’m a supplement sucker) and of course Target..

Carly @ Snack Therapy June 14, 2013 at 12:05 am

Congrats on the poop victory! Cheese is definitely a well-deserved reward! I’m jealous of both your Maine vacay and your clothes purchases… Especially that black skirt! Adorable.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 14, 2013 at 3:07 am

Your new glasses look cute!

I wish it was summertime here but it is officially freezing cold and winter!

I always overspend at Costco

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:22 am

thanks!

Cecilia June 14, 2013 at 3:59 am

You are coming to my great city of Boston?! Enjoy! It’s a fun little city. And summer is a great time to come.

Eggs and toast sound like the perfect meal to me!

katie June 14, 2013 at 4:34 am

In my early pregnancy, all I wanted was eggs and toast! Have not had in a while but such a yummy and good combo, easy too!

YAY for booking a 3 year anniversary trip! I am sure you guys will have fun! Mike and I have our 2 year wedding anniversary next week but we are doing nothing, haha! Can’t go anywhere when you are due any day, so we are probably just doing dinner, which is ok with me :)

Love ya girl and miss you! <3

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:21 am

2 years already, crazy! happy anny! i love you

Erica June 14, 2013 at 4:40 am

I didn’t know yall had some rocky times- glad to hear things are back to peachy-ness. The trip sounds amazing. I love love love Maine (in the summer when its warm). Its just so beautiful. You’re going to have a blast. Hooray for poop! Nothing like a good feeling tummy. Those bathing suits are so cute. I haven’t purchased a new bathing suit for myself since before our wedding (6 years ago)….I think its about time haha

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:21 am

yeah.. i blogged about it a tiny bit but not much! we got into counseling which helped a lot. it definitely has been a struggle but i am sooo glad we ended up sticking it out and not getting divorced. i’m a much happier clam haha. you need to get a suit! you deserve it!

Leah June 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Janetha,
I must have missed your post about this. Do you remember which one it was? It’s always nice to know that nobody’s relationship is perfect…. :(

Janetha June 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm

hmmm i honestly don’t remember which post it was or even what month it was. yeah–NOBODY has it all figured out. and if they tell you they do, it’s probably not all true haha. marriage is tough. counseling is a good tool. it’s like going to the doctor if you are physically ill.. and, really, marriage isn’t something you are supposed to just be good at naturally. it takes work from both sides. but if you can make it work, it’s totally worth it in the long run!

Tamara June 16, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Well said, Janetha. Any relationship is work and sometimes we can all use some outside help. Kudos to you both for your willingness to give your marriage the energy it deserves! <3

Steph June 14, 2013 at 4:49 am

I need that “home is where the pants aren’t” printed on a t-shirt!! Amazing!

Could you do a body comparison soon? Your body on bfl vs. lft vs. gpp … I am curious how different you feel, what gained muscle quicker, if you are finding yourself lifting heavier? Injuries? Tighter clothes due to quads? …that sorta thing. Wish we had a gpp up here in Canada! I love Neil’s philosophy. Sounds like a real good man.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:18 am

i don’t really have any pics to compare.. i will give you a brief rundown because it’s not enough to write a whole post about :) GPP gained muscle way quicker, it is a lot more focused on lifting. BFL is 80% what you eat and 20% the workouts sooo there’s that. GPP is not a nutritional program, just workouts. I definitely have way more muscle. I am about 15 pounds heavier now than I was after BFL. I lift way heavier now. My quads are bigger but my upper body is bangin’–not like it ever was with BFL. And I am OK with my big legs. I mean, I don’t love them, but at least they are solid muscle and not fat I suppose, haha. No cellulite or anything on my hammies. Neil is awesome! You should do the workouts offsite and participate with the online community! So many people do that. Hope this helps! xo

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 14, 2013 at 5:06 am

Your anniversary trip sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun! I love Boston. It’s definitely one of my favorite cities to visit and I haven’t been there in a long time. Definitely get clam chowder in a bread bowl. It is a must when dining in Boston! :)

I love that Little Mermaid tank top! Totally have to get it!

Kristen@goodngoodforya June 14, 2013 at 6:30 am

We lived just outside Portland for a few years and I grew up outside Boston. (Now we live about 1/2 way between the 2) You are going to have So Much Fun! Portland Musts: fancy dinner at Street & Company, a walk on the trails around Portland Head Light (#1 most photographed lighthouse in the US), fried clams and ice cream from a random clam shack on the beach, beer and sweet potato fries at Gritty McDuff’s…Ok, I’ll stop now. Except- you must eat fried dough. Your Utah scones look like mini fried dough. So imagine a Utah scone slightly larger than your head:-)

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:14 am

oh yum! yeah most of the utah scones are bigger than your head, but the ones we make are just small. sounds like the fried dough is right up my alley! and i am so hitting up gritty mcduff’s! thank you!!

Cancan June 14, 2013 at 6:49 am

Re: Laundry this is nothing I will talk to you when you have kids… The laundry NEVER ENDS. I totally agree with you.

I am definitely doing this ab workout. Thanks for the tip!

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

haha.. so i hear! my friends have 3 and 4 kids and tell me all the time!

Tina June 14, 2013 at 6:58 am

I think that’s a picture of Portland, OR…just sayin :)

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

haha!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 14, 2013 at 7:09 am

That sounds like it’ll be such a fun trip! I’ve never been to either city, but I’m sure you’ll be able to find some awesome restaurants and tourist-y things to do.
And I like the glasses! I seriously hate wearing mine…but I’m also not a fan of my contacts. I think I really need to get LASIK!

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

me too! but i am scurred

Errign June 14, 2013 at 7:35 am

I live smack dab in the middle of Portland & Boston..well, time wise. Both are 2 hours away. Trip wise, it’s silly, I live North of Boston & west of Portland. I never go to Portland so no recommendations there, but Boston – let’s see.

MIKE’S PASTRY in the North End has absolutely amazing cannolis. There’s tons of good (Italian) food in North End anyway. The Boston Public Garden is super pretty and there are cute swan boats.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

Awesome! We love Italian food. THanks!

Tamara June 14, 2013 at 7:50 am

LOVE the glasses (and the cute stamp… very versatile!)

I would like to visit both Maine and Boston some day, too. Have the best time. So happy to hear that things are going well for you two. Life = ups and downs, no? Very glad ups are happening for you, J, you deserve it. xoxo

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

thank youuuu!

the delicate place (@misathemeb) June 14, 2013 at 8:14 am

that sounds like a fabulous anniversary trip! eat some lobstahhh rolls <3 i am in love with both bikinis you bought—i have an unhealthy obsession with geometric prints!

i always overspend at target too…so hard not to buy all.the.things. it's a staycation this year for us—we close on our house in 10 days! then the renovation begins! we will move by aug 1 so we are clinging to our pennies at the moment. maybe a beach trip to visit my parents who live in south carolina after labor day? mmmm that would be nice!

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

congrats on the casa!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 14, 2013 at 8:20 am

I feel ya on the overspending at Target! I’m a helpless case when it comes to overspending at that place. Their suits are super cute this year! And their sundresses… Those always get me too.

vanessa June 14, 2013 at 8:21 am

Yay Boston! I’ve lived here my whole life. You should do a duck tour! Super fun way to tour the city. My two favorite restaurants in Boston are Prezza in the North End (great historic neighborhood for walking around), and Hungry Mother in Cambridge. For Portland – definitely check out Duckfat restaurant and get a lobster roll at Harraseeket lobster shack.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

awesome! thanks for the tips!!

Lindsey June 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

I just got back from a weekend in Portland where we stayed at the Chebaugue Inn which was incredible. And then we did a lobstering boat trip on Sunday morning. It’s about 2 hours and they let you set the traps and pull them up and then buy lobsters! It’s called Lucky Catch and was so fun!! Duckfat restaurant is also great and there are lots of good ice cream shops and bakeries. Enjoy!!

Stacey June 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

Hooray for poop! I know the feeling (or lack of?).

I get ya on the glasses thing. I love wearing mine at night when I’m done with everything and in front of the TV. If I ever have to wear them to work or out and about I feel tired and out-of-it. Perhaps it’s because I associate them with relaxing at night? Who knows.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

haha i definitely get that out of it feeling! and working out in them is out of the question!

Sam June 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

I live right outside of boston and am actually going to portland for my anniversary next month which is also on July 17th. Kinda crazy haha. Anyways, If you happen to stop in Kittery which are outlets in Maine (pretty sure on the way to Boston) you need to go to when pigs fly pizzeria! the food (and drinks) are amazing. Hope you have a great trip!

Also I’m obsessed with that Ariel shirt and think I need to go purchase it.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

Haha July 17th for the win! Did you pick it because it’s national peach ice cream day? I did, haha. Thanks for the tips!!!

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal June 14, 2013 at 9:24 am

I overspend at the grocery…Trader Joes is especially rough on the wallet!

Where did you get that fun stamp?? I teach so it might be something fun to use with grading ;)

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 10:27 am

office depot…

Sami June 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

Well don’t you just look stinkin’ adorable in your new glasses!? <3
xo.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

thanks, love!

Nicole C June 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

I feel ya on that euro trip. Things were way rocky in our world at the time we went but there was no way I wasn’t going to go. I tried to patch the wounds, it sort of worked but to be very honest, the trip could have been on better love terms. However, awesome that you guys are going on a trip. LOVE it.

We are going to Pittsburgh in July. Herhey Park, bonfire, s’mores, travel to Washington DC, back to PA and white water rafting. I’m pumped. I have a goal to go to to 2 new states (at least) every year so this helps since we will be traveling through new ones. I REALLY want to go to Boston though, happy you are going!

I haven’t over spent lately but I do waste $ at Ross. Damn shoes. With summer here I will have zero to buy anything but food. Thanks Las Vegas, my air conditioner hates that heat. Have you ever bought anything and thought, this is just STUFF. It irks me. end rant.

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:05 am

that sounds like a super fun trip! you are such a fun traveler :)

Chatelaine June 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

This is going to sound super cheesy, but when in Boston you MUST, and I repeat MUST, do the amphibian DUCK Tour. I never like the idea of taking those bus tours, but the drivers are freaking hilarious, you get to see a ton of the city and learn about what’s the big deal. Since Boston isn’t that big you get a feel for neighborhoods you want to return to.

Get a cannoli at Mike’s Pastry’s in Little Italy.
Do the Aquarium (I’m a geek for aquariums)
Eat Lobster at the Barking Crab.
Eat anything for fun at the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market

Great restaurants on Newbury and in the Back Bay.

Have Fun!

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

everyone has said to do a duck tour! we will! thanks for the suggestions, this is super helpful!!

Sarah June 14, 2013 at 10:15 am

My fiance grew up in Boston and his FAVORITE place to eat is Anna’s Taqueria. When he visits his parents, it is his first stop after he lands in Boston and last stop before he flies out. Really fantastic Mexican food. There are several in the city, so they’re always (conveniently) close by!

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

Mexican is our favorite, so we will check that out! Thanks!

shirley June 16, 2013 at 9:56 am

Yesssss, Anna’s is amazing! Definitely a great place to hit up.

Rebecca @ Runner with an Appetite June 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

Ack, did you purchase that Ariel shirt? It’s incredible! Where did you happen to get it (if you did)?

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

haha ummmm… target… i think i went on about that ;)

Rebecca @ Runner with an Appetite June 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

Got it. Didn’t realize it all was from Target.

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt June 14, 2013 at 10:53 am

Enjoy your trip! You will have a lovely time! :)

The ariel shirt is TOO.MUCH. I love it!

calee June 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

ha, oh man, i love everything about this post.

that pretty much sums laundry up: “folding laundry which, to me, is the equivalent to picking up trash on the side of the freeway in 90 degree heat.”

And congrats on the two days of excellent pooping. Totally logical to eat cheese after a poop win. ;)

Lili June 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Glasses are really cute on u

Janetha June 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm

thank you!

Karin June 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I grew up in Portland and go back every chance I get to visit my parents! I highly recommend Duckfat (they have awesome fries)! For ice cream, Gelato Fiasco is great and Red’s (soft serve) in South Portland are both amazing local places!! Let me know if you want any more recommendations – there are SO many great places to eat in the Portland area!

Linz @ Itz Linz June 14, 2013 at 4:44 pm

lol and again YOU CRACK ME UP!!! you look adorable in your glasses! our only summer plans involve lots of family trips to my parents’ little a-frame in innsbrook (about 45 minutes outside of st louis). itz awesome though because itz right on a lake and they have a canoe, kayak, and paddleboard!

Kristie June 14, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Portland is my home away from home! My brother and sister-in-law live in Maine and were located in Portland for a few years and I absolutely fell in love with it. A few restaurants worth mentioning are Pepperclub Restaurant and Silly’s; both are great for a casual lunch or dinner. For brunch, definitely check out Local 188…awesome egg scrambles and their English muffins come slathered in butter and are freaking phenomenal. Haha. Which venue are you going to for the show? Enjoy your trip!!

Maddy June 14, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I’m more familiar with Portland… There’s a great kitchen store which is PACKED with lots of different kitchen tools and one of a kind foods / alcohol. Leroux Kitchen @ corner of Commercial and Market streets

Portland Lobster Co. @ 180 Commercial – best lobster roll and fries that I’ve ever had and i’m from a lobster fishing area on the east coast of Canada! The Shipyard Seasonal beer on draught was the perfect match!! And the best part is you get to sit on the dock facing the water while you eat :-)

I’ve heard really great things about Scratch Baking Co @ 416 Preble st in South Portland but I didn’t get the chance to go last time I was there…

My trips to Portland also involve major hauls at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s because we don’t have them in my part of Canada. By the way good call on the tempting trail mix, roasted coconut chips and freeze dried bananas from TJ!!

andrea June 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I feel drunk in my glasses too, I only wear them to bed. Boston is awesome, have fun! I’m glad to hear you and Marsh, I hope all continues to go well!!

Meghan June 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I got glasses after wearing contacts exclusively for close to 10 years, and I felt like a baby deer learning to walk for like two days :) your depth perception or something definitely needs to adjust. And after I wear glasses for a whie,

I live in Boston, so I have tons of recs: definitely walk around Boston Common/Public Garden, walk the Freedom Trail (you do it on your own at your own pace, there are guides available online, gives a great tour of the city), walk along the Charles & the Esplanade, walk around gorgeous neighborhoods of Back Bay & shops on Newbury (can you tell I love Boston because I can walk a lot?). Restaurants/bars: Eastern Standard in Kenmore, Asgard and Flour Bakery in Central Square, Life Alive in Cambridge, Canary Square in JP for brunch and the most delicious basil-grape faux-jito you will ever have in your life, JP Licks for ice cream, Genki Ya for sushi…the list goes on and on :)

Meghan June 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm

And to echo someone else, MUST go to Mike’s Pastry and get a cannoli! (Try going during the day because the lines at night are insane.)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 15, 2013 at 12:23 am

I could eat eggs and toast for every meal, too. And don’t even get me started on Parmesan cheese. I put that sh** on everything. Or at least lately, that’s been the case! I have three different kinds in the fridge right now (grated, shredded and block), which is both fantastic and dangerous at the same time.

Your trip to Maine and Boston sounds like it’s going to be crazy fun! I’m semi-familiar with Boston because a number of my college friends live there. A few recommendations: definitely get cannoli in the North End Italian district. Omg, so amazing. As others have said, try for Mike’s Pastry (the best), but if the lines are too long, there are a number of other great places. And while you’re in the neighborhood, go out for an Italian dinner. Seriously some of the best Italian I’ve ever had in my life. There are a number of really great restaurants…again, can’t remember their names, but trusty Yelp won’t lead you astray. Also, if your stomach can handle it….CHOWDA. Amazing clam chowder. Hrm…what else? Don’t worry about being a tourist and walk the Freedom trail…it’s like reliving American Revolution history, and leads you past all these famous sights that you learned about in 5th grade. But if that isn’t your thang, just do a Duck Tour. It’s like history and a wet adventure all wrapped in one. So much fun.

LOVE the glasses! And I adore your Target purchases, too. All totally worth it.

My summer plans: moving and a trip to Charleston! xoxo

Jill June 15, 2013 at 7:17 am

u r lucky…u pooped….dare I ask HOW? help.

I gave up and started eating more cheese-yogurt-chocolate again cause I couldn’t poop with or without it….so screw it…if i’m going to miserable, i’d rather be miserable with cheese :)

u guys totally deserve travel and stuff…I can tell u work hard and u earn your money, well deserved and u r a smart lady. i’m in lost-ville :) wishing of travel but lost on how to’s…wish I knew how to travel..all expenses paid :)
even considered ESL teaching, but not sure i’d get anything with a lackluster resume and seems like the places that actually pay for accomodations etc are mainly in south korea and not sure that’s a place id just choose to go…

if I had ANY experience with kids, i’d try for au pair, ha…but ….kids drive me nuts :)

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny June 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I’m with you on the laundry – worst chore ever (besides maybe ironing). We only spent a day and a half in portland when we were up in Maine, but I’d recommend getting some fresh maine lobster and doing a whale watching tour. Hit up Gritty McDuffs – I believe it’s Maine’s first pub!

Shauna June 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Maine is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Here’s a list of the below i recommend:

– Nubble Lighthouse
-York Beach (Goldenrod candy story is over 100 years old still churning fresh salt water taffy in the window)
-Kittery Shopping Outlets
– Bob’s Clam Hut (next to the kittery outlets) was on Diner’s, Drive-in’s & Dives!

Have fun take pictures :)

Stacey June 17, 2013 at 6:08 am

Silly’s in Portland is sooooo good!!! A great ecletic menu and extremely tasty! When we were in Maine we ate there for 3 dinners!!

Kelli June 17, 2013 at 7:05 am

I recommend Pomodoro for dinner in the North End of Boston.

If you like art you guys should check out the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA Boston) down on the waterfront, and then go over to Drink for… well, a drink, haha. Awesome cocktail bar with neat bar bites, and close to the museum.

I also love Boston’s Chinatown. And don’t forget to check out Beacon Hill, as you can walk down the beautiful and historic Charles St, and then make your way to Boston Common/The Public Garden.

Go into Harvard Sq in Cambridge for some shopping/checking out the Harvard campus and get Marshall a double cheeseburger at Charlie’s Kitchen. It’s one of my favorite haunts, and they have an outdoor beer garden that’s great when the weather is nice.

Have fun!

betty June 17, 2013 at 7:08 am

ugh. target.. the only place i like to shop, which is probably why i always leave with atleast $75 less in my pocket.

anddd i love your glasses. and your face <3 so glad you and m are doing better. its been a rough year for us, too, but we're stronger now than ever. love you! xox

ali moll June 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Love, love, love the glasses on you! FABULOUS!

Target is my weakness for sure! Madi was home for dinner last night and decided to hit Target on her way home. She sent me a text saying: “DO NOT go to Target”! I asked why, and she said “Way too much cute stuff” ! LOL! Love that place!

What a great trip to be going on! I’ve been to Boston for business, but did get to see a bit of the city while there. I ate some great seafood, and did some shopping at Fanuil Hall….which was nice! I hope you have a great time on your trip! Sounds awesome!

Have a great day Janetha!

Kim K. June 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I’ve lived in Boston for 13 years and double and triple agree with taking a Duck Tour. But I have to disagree with the folks who claim Mike’s Pastrys in the North End is the best – Modern Pastry across the street, in my opinion, kicks the touristy Mike’s Pasty’s ass hands down! Hit up Newbury Street for some walking and window shopping. Oysters and seafood at Neptune Oyster or Island Creek. Drinks at Eastern Standard. I could go on and on :)

Duckfat in Portland is amazeballs.

You will have a blast!

Bria @ Yoga with Bria June 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm

J, you are a girl after my heart…a pants-hating girl who loves Beach House (one of my FAVE bands; they’re all up on my yoga playlists). And just today, I was joking around about how much I hate wearing pants. No pants dance for the win!

Ashley June 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I grew up in Maine and had the privilege of living in Portland for a few years. I now live in NYC, but still think Portland has some of the BEST restaurants! A few suggestions:
-Bayou Kitchen (breakfast- helloooo jalapeño cornbread!)
-The Great Lost Bear (amazing lunch/dinner and 60+ beers on tap)
-Silly’s (quirky vegan/vegetarian lunch/dinner spot, plus yummy milk shakes)
-The Front Room (great brunch spot)
-Portland Pie or Otto’s Pizza (both are great! Otto’s has some unique pizza flavors/toppings)

Night Life:
Ri Ra’s
The Port Hole
(Both are right on the water!… Anything in the Old Port is fun!)

Enjoy! Portland is a GREAT small city! :)

Trisha June 22, 2013 at 10:18 am

Love that Ariel tank! I’m always spending far too much money at Target so maybe I’ll snatch it up the next time I’m there. But for now, I’ll just be here at home, without my pants. :)

melanie a. July 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm

being a native and current resident of boston, but with a father who lives in portland, i have lots of ideas! in boston, you could spend a really nice day along the waterfront, starting either in the north end or at the aquarium (and fanueil hall if you wanted to throw some shopping into your day) and then walking along the harborwalk or the rose kennedy greenway to fort point. in fort point, there are lots of new-ish restaurants (flour for breakfast or lunch is awesome) and two breweries (trillium, which is new and tiny- only growler fills at this point- and harpoon, which is massive, but also has a beer hall), as well as the ICA. however, most of my favorite restaurants are more in cambridge and somerville. as for portland, a nice day trip would be to peak’s island (http://www.peaksisland.com/) and you can’t go wrong with fore street for dinner and maybe grace for drinks. SO many good options in portland. enjoy!