i’d rather be RV-ing.

by Janetha on May 26, 2013

in fun with friends,love life

last tuesday i had the pleasure of visiting my long-time friend, jenn. “pleasure” doesn’t even capture how incredible our hang out sesh was.. i had been looking forward to it since october of 2011!

let me back up…

jenn and i “met” on the body for life forums back in 2008. this was way before i even knew about blogging! i always looked up to her and followed her as she trained and successfully competed in a figure show. i followed her blog (formerly competing to lose) religiously and we became great blog friends. after having an online friendship for over three years, i finally was able to meet jenn at the LA blogger picnic i went to while visiting deb & eden in LA in october 2011.

photo stolen from jenn’s post

at that time, jenn, her husband brent, her two sons, her two dogs, and meow cow the cat were getting ready to set off on a grand adventure! they were hitting the road in an RV (which was renovated with the most adorable vintage decor by jenn herself) to travel the nation! their initial plan was to travel for a year, but here it is over 18 months later and they are still loving the nomad life. brent does graphic and web design (he is SO talented!) and so they are able to travel and he has an office right inside the RV. so cool!

i was thrilled when jenn finally made her way to utah. we were actually in moab the same weekend (during red rock relay) but didn’t meet up. i’d been super busy with blend retreat after that, so when i finally had some time to breathe jenn suggested we come visit her and the fam on antelope island. i jumped at the chance!

fun fact: before last tuesday, i had NEVER been to antelope island in my life. yep, thirty years of living in utah and i never made the 30-minute journey. utah local fail. i was excited to finally get out there! i didn’t go alone. marshall joined me and we HAD to take the dogs. jenn has had an online crush on penny since the beginning of time. and, as it turned out, randy ended up melting her heart and gave sweet penny a run for her money! he tends to do that. momma b also joined us—she and jenn have also been online buddies for quite some time. in fact, jenn once featured me and momma b on her girl heroes blog! it was an honor.

jenn and brent made us the most delicious dinner. i keep thinking about it, actually. it was that good. the menu included grilled orange glazed chicken kebabs, a savory rice pilaf with mushrooms, a salad with kalamata olives, feta, tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette, and grilled garlic bread. pretty freaking gourmet, especially considering the “roughing it” situation!

photo

we enjoyed chatting and eating while watching the gorgeous sunset over the great salt lake. i see these sunsets from home, but being right at the lake was truly breathtaking!

Dinner at sunset
photo from jenn

antelope island have lots of buffalo roaming around (although i have learned that they aren’t really buffalo, they are bison, but all the signs say buffalo, so whatever…) and we actually had a couple of them right up close and personal while eating dinner!

Don't look behind you
jenn’s photo, i love that she titled it “don’t look behind you!”

the buffalo were just roaming around, minding their business. it was semi-scary but actually pretty cool! they were as big as my car!

Eeeek it's a bison Janetha and Jenn jenn’s photo with the title: “Eeeek it’s a bison Janetha and Jenn” hahaha

penny and randy were tied up—didn’t want them running after those big beasts!

Penny and Randy
jenn’s photo.. LOVE this shot!

after eating we moved inside their RV where jenn gave me the best gift EVER… my own scoby and kefir grains to make kombucha and kefir water!  i had tried it at the picnic in LA and have wanted to make my own since.

jenn with her kefir water & kombucha at the blogger picnic

i am so excited to make my own.. i am a little nervous, but i have read jenn’s tutorials (kombucha, kefir water) at least three times each, so i think i can pull it off!

we sat and talked in the RV for hours. before we knew it, it was 11 PM! as much as i wanted to stay and chat the night away, we had work the next day and had to go. luckily home was just thirty minutes away. it was sad to say goodbye, and i wish i could put jenn in my pocket and never let her leave, but it was SO great to spend the evening with them. i am definitely envious of their adventurous life and if i had some skill to allow me to work and live on the road, i would pack up in a heartbeat.

the next day, it was back to real life (i have been having horrible problems this week because i updated my quickbooks and there were many, many glitches) and i smiled at this text exchange with marshall…

photo (1)

me too, marshall, me too.

big, huge thanks to jenn and brent for their hospitality! it was the perfect evening and i am so glad we were able to connect during one of their many stops across the nation.

you can follow jenn’s journey on her travel blog, newschool nomads. she also posts amazing kettlebell workouts and other fun fitness & food posts on girl heroes.

1. would you ever hit the road and live in an RV?

2. have you brewed your own kombucha or kefir water? or beer?

Momma b May 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm

It was the most perfect meal and magical evening!! I’m so glad I was included in the get together! Like you I’ve been thinking about that chicken….especially while eating a very dry tasteless chicken kabob at a fine SLC restuarant….oh for just one more bite!
I would travel on an RV like that…it would be such a fun way to see the country.

Never made any of the above but enjoyed what Jenn served us!

I love you.
xo

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Is Meow Cow the cats actual name?? If so that is awesome! Such a great cat name :)

I’ve never been Rving but my boyfriend has dreams of when he retires hiring an RV and driving around Australia, I’m not so keen on the idea unless it is a very luxurious RV :)

Looks like you had fun though!

lindsay May 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Gosh i love this, so wish i was there. what beautiful people, souls, and memories. Love to you both!
p.s.
Make me some water kefir!

Missy May 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I would go RV’ing if I could go with them! Words can’t describe how much I love her and that family (Meow Cow, Nigel and Nico too). But wanting to put her in your pocket is a great way to describe how one feels about her when you are around her – she id precious, just precious. I am so so blessed that she stopped here and I got the chance to spend time with her and the boys, but it was so short and I wanted it to last for days! I hope to one day get to Cali and see her and family again when they get (or wherever they end up – I am trying to convince them to buy a southern farm, lol!)
Glad y’all had such a great time!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I think I’d be freaking out if I were that close to the bison, but they sure made for some awesome photos! When I head back to work on Tuesday, I’m sure I’ll have several moments where “I’d rather be rv’ing” too ;)

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 26, 2013 at 8:28 pm

This sounds like such a fabulous evening! And the sunset looks absolutely gorgeous. The bison are one of the many things I’m completely terrified of for our family vacation to Yellowstone this summer. They’re so big and strong and intimidating!

Ha, I totally would love to be “rv-ing.” One of the things on my bucket list is to backpack through Europe, so that’s kind of the same idea, right? :)

Annette@FitnessPerks May 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

This is the coolest story ever!!! I love that they just packed up & are nomading. So so cool.

I think I’d like it for a shorter period of time–like 3-4 months. I like having a ‘home’ ya know? But travelling is something I totally love!

melissa May 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm

my parents are going to be RV nomads when they sell their house.

I have been brewing my own kombucha since Feb. I love it!

Lisa May 26, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Aw so nice to have meet-ups like that! And that’s so cool you guys new each other even before blogging! How awesome.
You guys are too cool, that sounds like such a neat thing to do!
I don’t think I could live in an RV, I just am not sure about that, maybe for a short period. I’m not afraid to admit I’m high maintenance ha.
Kefir water sounds so sweet to make! I need to make one of those from the list…

Jenn - Girl Heroes May 26, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thank you for coming out to the island and fir such a sweet and thoughtful post. It was very special to finally get to spend time with you after all these years. I loved meeting your family as well. Yes, Randy unexpectedly stole my heart although Penny still melts me! :-) I sure do hope it doesn’t take another 5 years to get quality time together again. I’m thinking next winter calls for a weekend of snowboarding! Xoxoxo xoxoxo

Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom May 27, 2013 at 1:19 am

Sounds like a wonderful time together. Thanks for turning me onto Jenn, sounds she’s really an amazing person!
AS for tomorrow, well, it’s 2:15 am & I’m writing to you b/c my 11yr old & his buddies just went to sleep. So, I’m hoping that tomorrow is a low key day & we all get to sleep in- HOPING!
Enjoy your day!

Erica May 27, 2013 at 5:21 am

WOW! 18 months! Props to her. I don’t think I could do it for a week. The bison are crazy close to yalll. <3 Randy :). Glad you had such a fun meet up

katie May 27, 2013 at 5:23 am

How awesome! Jenn is so beautiful, I have always wanted to meet her! She is a blogger I connected with long ago, but kind of lost touch with, but I never forget her

So glad you guys all had a great time and that sunset is gorgeous!

Love ya girl! <3

Lisa May 27, 2013 at 6:52 am

I have never been RV’ing, but it looks like it would be a great time!

purelytwins May 27, 2013 at 8:26 am

looks like a perfect evening!!! :)
we need to get back into making our own kombucha and kefirs too!!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 27, 2013 at 9:02 am

I love camping/rv-ing. It’s so much fun, and the best way to see different parts of the country and scenery you can’t see otherwise. Those views are amazing! And I can’t believe the buffalo were just chillin’ right next to you guys! I would’ve been petrified haha

Linz @ Itz Linz May 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm

it would be fun to travel in an rv… for a little while :) my dad really wants to buy an rv as he’s recently retired and loves traveling!

BroccoliHut May 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm

It’s funny that you mention RV-ing today–I was just watching an episode of House Hunters on HGTV (I know, I’m a dork), and the couple was looking for an RV to live in long-term. It got me thinking about how fun the nomad life could be :)
My brother-in-law gave me a kombucha making kit for my birthday, but I still have yet to use it. I’m a little intimidated, I think!

GiGi Eats Celebrities May 28, 2013 at 10:25 am

You just got me soooo pumped to see my friends I haven’t seen in ages this weekend!! :) I am meeting them in Denver… But not RVing there – ha ha!

Tamara May 28, 2013 at 11:09 am

Aw, what a cool visit (and gorgeous setting)!! Jenn and Brent are awesome cooks, for sure. And J & J, you’re two of my fave bloggers and souls… I’m so glad you and your fams got the chance to hang out and spend some QT!!! xoxo

PS: Janetha, you’re going to love making your own water kefir! I have to get back to it, myself. I haven’t tried the kombucha yet, but I should give that a go some time, as well.

Bria @ Yoga with Bria May 28, 2013 at 8:34 pm

The RV life looks fab; I’m so game to do that someday.

I brew my own kombucha and love it. Jenn is right–home-brewed tastes better than store bought. Lots better. Good luck brewing.

Andrea@WellnessNotes May 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Very cool that you got to hang out!

I had coffee with Jenn when they first started their journey, and it’s amazing to follow them along via her blogs…

Gina @ LifetotheFdegree May 29, 2013 at 5:14 am

Looks like you had a great weekend. Your pups are so cute, and that bison pic is awesome!

the delicate place May 29, 2013 at 10:24 am

everytime i see an rv i think of the caravans from snatch. i’d do it if i knew there was a finite ending to my nomad-ness