#blend2013.

by Janetha on May 24, 2013

in BLEND

hey, guys! as this post publishes i am probably on the road, heading to sunny st. george for kristen’s bachelorette party! i am so excited for a long weekend of relaxation in the sun.

this month has been a whirlwind for me. between the red rock relay, blend retreat, and now this weekend away, i have been away from home quite a bit. and, when i have been AT home, i have filled the minutes, hours, and days with planning. i am all planned out, haha. but i have to say, planning blend retreat 2013 was well worth the work.

last year’s retreat was in colorado, but this year’s was right here in park city, utah. that meant this year’s retreat was much more hands-on for me in terms of the planning. by the time the retreat started, i just wanted to have a good time and not worry about taking photos and documenting the whole experience! very bad-blogger of me, but i’m not too worried about it.

i am stealing lots photos from the GOOD bloggers for my recap. sharing is caring, right? i will share the highlights of each day with you! this post is going to be long, but i kinda like the idea of having the whole weekend summed up in one post (lindsay had the right idea!) grab a snack and enjoy!

thursday.

thursday was the day before the retreat started, and our #1 priority was to get the swag (from nearly 50 sponsors) from momma b’s house up to the retreat venue—about forty minutes away. katie, lauren, lindsay and her husband travis got into town and we got to work! my sister, marisa also flew in on thursday so we had the help from her and my mom. marshall was there helping and i also put my friends nikki and mandy to work. my sister in law, lindsay, came up to help thursday evening—pregnant and all! i can’t thank everyone enough who helped with the swag transport and stuffing process!

IMG_8062IMG_8066
IMG_8068IMG_8070
IMG_8089IMG_8097

friday.

registration started at noon, but i was up about 7:30 to get things going. mandy came up to help with all last minute things. we did manage to take a break and try a new breakfast spot—good thymes bistro. i got a scramble and she got the breakfast burrito. that place was amazing!

IMG_8111IMG_8110 (2)

the hours between noon and 5 PM were somewhat of a blur. everyone arrived, checked in, and picked up their shirts and swag. it was a party! it was fun to see familiar faces and also meet new ones for the first time.

IMG_8116 IMG_8115
miranda gave every attendee a
living proof fit gear tank!

between 3 and 4 there was a snack break provided by attune foods and justin’s peanut butter. pretty sure attune graham crackers are the best. i’ve had them many times before and i love that they contain no HFCS or hydrogenated oils.

friday night we kicked the retreat off in style with a cocktail party sponsored by silk.

silk blended up three tasty beverages for the event. you can read more about them on lauren’s blog—she was there representing silk! my favorite was the ginger refresher.. can’t wait to make that at home.

silk1silkpajamassilk3

there was also an array of tasty hors d’oeuvres at the cocktail party: vegan summer rolls with thai peanut sauce, spicy black bean cakes with roasted tomatillo salsa, and vegetables with herbed chobani dip.

we moved from the cocktail party into the ballroom for a gourmet buffet dinner. after a short and sweet speech, we sat down and enjoyed the meal. it included hand picked artisan green with chobani basil dressing, bulgur wheat salad with shaved summer vegetables and preserved lemon vinaigrette, carrot ginger soup, all natural seared chicken breast with thyme roasted baby potatoes and natural jus, grilled wild caught alaskan hailbut with brown rice pilaf and citrus nage, pan seared quinoa and spring vegetable cake with roasted pepper and tomato coulis, and roasted spring vegetables.  i am so glad we went the buffet route this year so everyone could try a little (or a lot!) of everything.

fridaydinnerIMG_8142

for dessert we had three choices: warm apple cobbler, spring berry tart, and the most AMAZING chobani panna cotta.. my FAVORITE bite of the night!

IMG_8143IMG_8144IMG_8145

the highlight of friday was definitely the photo booth. there were so many fun props and the service was lightening fast.. i think i was in there nearly a dozen times throughout the evening. so much fun! amanda, kerryne, and i have decided we have to rent one for our company christmas party!

imageimageimage

saturday.

saturday started bright and early with a workout sponsored by GPP. i roped neil into becoming a blend retreat sponsor quite awhile ago and i was so excited to have him share his philosophy and workouts with everyone. the workout consisted of twenty ten meter sprints followed by hit the deck. i think everyone really enjoyed the workout!

breakfast on saturday was brought to us by the laughing cow and muesli fusion. there was a nice spread of bagels paired with smooth sensations cream cheese as well as several flavors of muesli fusion with almond milk.

brittney, the laughing cow rep, was so much fun to hang out with all weekend! (sorry your eyes are closed, britt!)

immediately after breakfast we changed for the PROBAR hike. it had been raining through the night and into the morning, and it was still sprinkling when hike time came. many people didn’t want to hike in the drizzly weather, but amanda and i decided a little mud wouldn’t hurt us.

we set out and hiked a very muddy four-ish miles on ambush trail. we actually had quite a good turnout for the hike!

when we got back, my special visitors had arrived! marshall, penny, and randy came up and checked into the hotel. i was so excited they could come and hang out with everyone!

we put the pups in the room for a bit so we could head to the onnit snack break. you guys know i LOVE onnit products and i was thrilled to have them as one of our sponsors. marshall is actually the one who first introduced me to onnit and then i reached out to them and now they are part of the blogging community! pretty cool how it all came together. they brought miss united states, whitney miller, with them to chat with all the attendees. onnit rep orlando blended up some delicious hemp FORCE shakes and we were able to sample their new nut butters—i’m a huge fan!

IMG_8198IMG_8199

saturday evening we went with a group of about 25 to red tail grill, which was walking distance from the venue. i’m not gonna lie, i didn’t love the experience or the food and i won’t be back.. but the company was unbeatable and that’s all that mattered!

we saved some room for dessert because my mom was planning on whipping up multiple batches of utah scones for everyone. several attendees piled into her suite saturday night and everyone was able to sample the amazingness that is a utah scone. you can get the recipe HERE. we served them with honey butter, peanut butter, and my mom’s homemade raspberry jam.

it was really cool how the impromptu scone party really brought everyone together!

we spent the evening talking about everything under the sun and moon.. but i mainly talked about dogs. some people tried to talk about kids for a bit, but my good friend maren (who FINALLY started a blog!) quickly directed the conversation back to pets. atta girl! she was extra classy with her wine and moccasins that night.

sunday.

saturday morning there was another GPP workout at 7 AM. i had slept in marshall’s suite with the pups and it was pitch black. i managed to somehow turn off TWO alarms and when i woke up it was 6:51 AM! WHOOPS! i hauled butt to my old room (where all my stuff still was) so i could change and then i zipped downstairs to the workout. leave it to me to oversleep ALWAYS.

the workout was a lot of fun! it was a mashup of OTC (on the trainer’s count) and an adaptation of the GPP workout “jump!”  i was actually quite surprised at how far i was able to leap during that portion of the workout. these short legs have a little spring in their step, apparently!

i had to duck out of the workout early in to make sure everything was in order for chobani’s breakfast sunday morning. i have to say that the went above and beyond the call of duty with their breakfast! there were two kinds of smoothies blended up for people to sip on while waiting in line for the pancake station complete with a plethora of toppings, the oatmeal bar with a million mix-ins (amd served in cute little mason jars), and the build-you-own omelet station. there was also plenty of chobani yogurt to choose from: original, flips, and bites!

IMG_8238IMG_8237

i LOVE all of the chobani girls. we had the pleasure to hang out with em (who i had met before), amy, and karen. special thanks to chobani for being our official sponsor for a second time. without them, the retreat would never have been possible!

lindsay, amy, katie, em, karen, janetha

i spent a lot of breakfast trying to chat with those i didn’t get much time with and snap as many photos as possible!

IMG_8249IMG_8256
IMG_8250IMG_8254
IMG_8266IMG_8260
IMG_8262IMG_8263

the final event was the closing ceremony sponsored by blue diamond. we all gathered on the ballroom floor for a raffle where EVERYONE was able to walk away with a prize. our sponsors spoiled everyone this year.

we managed to cram everyone in for a group photo and then we all said our goodbyes! the weekend really flew by!

i am so grateful for the blogging community and for all those who traveled to blend retreat this year. it truly is a unique event that brings so many like-minded individuals together for fun and relaxation. it was also SO cool to have my family and local friends be able to join in the fun.. and penny & randy, too! GIANT thanks to all of our sponsors that made it possible to put the retreat on and for supplying so many awesome goodies. and, finally, i want to especially thank my co-hosts.. katie and lindsay.. they are both amazing ladies.

like i said before, the work put in was definitely worth the end result and i couldn’t be happier about the way blend retreat 2013 turned out!

1. if you were at blend retreat, what was your favorite part?

2. have you been/would you go to a blogging conference? which one(s)?

photos stolen from lindsay, lauren.

Erica May 24, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I WANT TO GO TO BLEND SO BAD! I think you should have it in Charleston next year ;). Or Atlanta…..or Florida! Any who- what an event! The people, the food, the workouts. I want that tank top so bad. I need to order one. Have fun this weekend

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Picking one favorite part is TOO hard! I guess I would have to say it was purely the aspect of getting to meet/interact/engage in real life conversation with so many other bloggers. There were so many incredible women in attendance, that I only wish there had been more time! :) Thanks, Janetha, for all you (and Katie and Lindsay) did to make the event so special!!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut May 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hmmm favorite part of Blend?? How can I answer that?? It was ALL amazing and I am so thankful for you ladies putting it together! <3 <3

PS I LOVE your batman photobooth! Such a great idea to get one of those things!!

Linz @ Itz Linz May 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm

my favorite part?! how could i pick?!?!??!?! ok itz meeting YOU!

Mandy May 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm

So much fun just helping I can’t imagine being there the whole weekend, so sad i missed! You guys did an amaze job!

Katie May 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Annette@FitnessPerks May 24, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Such a fun recap!!!

i can’t pick a fav part, for realz, b/c it was just all SO SO fun. Seriously. Amazing job Janetha!!!!

p.s. let’s do a blogger potluck this summer again?! That was super fun :) xo

the delicate place May 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm

i’m seriously impressed that you pulled this off even bigger/better this year! i’ve only been to 1 and that was HLS in 2011 and that was enough for me haha. i think we chatted about it being a bit ridiculous actually. i felt like a complete odd ball for not getting jazzed about fro yo and sleeping in the whole weekend bc i didn’t want to work out on a little weekend getaway! i wanted to eat, shop and take in the city sights…maybe i need to find a lazy girl conference lol

lindsay May 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

LOL! I can relate. But this is so different, plus i’m dying to have a glass of wine and chat life with YOU

calee May 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU a million times over for all the work that you and Katie and Lindsay put into this (as well as all the sponsors). I haven’t had a chance to write a recap, but mine is going to sound a lot like this:

” i just wanted to have a good time and not worry about taking photos and documenting the whole experience! very bad-blogger of me, but i’m not too worried about it.

i am stealing lots photos from the GOOD bloggers for my recap. sharing is caring, right? i”

Except, you’re a really really good blogger (I think!) and I think part of being a really good blogger is knowing when to just soak it all in and enjoy it (especially when you know there will be others around that will have photos for you to borrow). You only live once! (god, I hate that phrase, but I think it really does apply here).

Favorite part of the weekend? I love free time. I know that’s lame. But I did! My only regret is not being able to be in 5 places at once. My favorite scheduled part was the Saturday AM workout and the breakfasts. Chobani’s spread was pretty insane, but I really enjoyed the muesli fusion (and the muesli fusion guy. he weirdly appeared in my dreams on Friday night so it was kind of awkward that he was behind me on the hike).

LOVE YOU! Hope you have a fantastic weekend in the sun. And don’t take tons of photos. Get a tan (or some more freckles?).

lindsay May 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm

oh and i COMPLETELY agree with Calee. she took the words right out of my mouth.. keyboard, ..

calee May 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm

what, the muesli fusion guy appeared in your dreams too?

lindsay May 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm

LOL! No i mean about the being her being a SUPER DUPER blogger. The muesli guy is all YOURS, dreams and all. hehe

lindsay May 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

i want to go back! You all are amazing. I love you. that is all.

Sara @ fitcupcaker May 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I dont even think I could pick a favorite part, I LOVED it all…from bootcamp, to all the awesome breakfasts, all the swag, and meeting everyone.. it was amazing!

Bria @ Yoga with Bria May 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast. I know you worked super hard, so congrats on pulling off yet another retreat! Maybe I’ll finally get to check it out next year. Have a great weekend :-)

purelytwins May 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

oh we want to goooo back!!! we miss everyone!!
best part was meeting you :)
and really just hanging out with friends!!
loved it!!

Evan May 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Congrats Janetha and the rest of the organizers! It looks like it was a very impressive and successful event.

'becca May 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm

My favorite part was the surprise treat bag Lizz shared with me when I got to see her this week! She knew I wanted to attend, but my boys had their state soccer tournament and was unable. Would love, love to attend next year.

Love the GPP pictures! I’m a fan of the Storm, ya know.

Kerryne May 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

My favorite part was all of it! I loved every second, but the Photo booth was the hardest I have laughed in a very long time. I loved getting away, meeting new people, hanging with my besties :) Love you, thanks for putting it together, you did an AMAZING job!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

so many ideas for next year….

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thank YOU for the work you did to make this happen! I seriously can’t explain just what BLEND has done for me! :)

Marlon @MeInTheBalance May 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I’ve never been to a blogging conference but one day I hope to make it to any of the fitness/healthy living ones some day. Until then, I’ll have to live vicariously through posts like these. Great post! :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 25, 2013 at 12:33 am

Wow looks like it was a lot to organise but you and the other girls did an amazing job!

I so wish I lived closer so I could have gone! I’ve never been to a blogging conference before but I don’t know that they have that many here in Australia but I’m going to have a look and see if I can find one as it looks like a lot of fun!

Ja @Ja on the RUN May 25, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’m so jealous looking at all these pics! Looks so much fun! I love the tees, the food, everything!!!
You are all soo gorgeous in all your pics! :)

Thanks for sharing this wonderful event! I hope I can make it next year! :)

Julie May 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This was my first one! I didn’t know a soul but met some amazing people. Even though I wanted to die during the hike, that was one of my favorite parts! I got the chance to chat with so many people.

Brittany May 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Blend Retreat always looks like so much fun. I really hope I can come next year. Although, I don’t think next year will be the same unless Momma B hosts another scone party. :)

Allison @ Life's a Bowl May 27, 2013 at 7:24 am

I’ve had a blast reading everyone’s recaps but I hope to have a better time next year actually attending the event! Great job and huge congrats to you three ladies who planned what looks like a phenomenal weekend :D

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 27, 2013 at 9:26 am

I can’t thank you girls enough for all your hard work! Miss you girls already! I’m in for 2014… tell me when and where! ;)

Kait May 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Oh man I’m sad I missed this but am SO excited for next year.! I’m happy it went so well for you again. :) xo

Nicole C May 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm

It should be obvious that finally meeting you, after yeeeaaaaars of hearing your name and then reading your blog, was my highlight. I also rank GPP as the other top contender. I’ve followed along for a while and am hoping to go in a couple weeks when I am back in Park City. I need meet a handful people welcoming people: Brittney, Carly, Becky and Katie and the first people we talked to at the cocktail hour and became friends with we’re Whitney and Orlando from Onnit.

Janetha May 28, 2013 at 7:59 am

I think you need to come hang out in Utah again soon.. or I just need to see you when I come to Vegas in July! I flippin’ love you and don’t think I saw you enough at Blend.. stupid being busy-ness.

Nicole C May 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

I could not agree more! I booked a flight back there for next Friday and I think I will be driving back Sunday with Ben. OOHHH we will have an old car to cruise around in, you and Marshall should venture out. Unless I can get Ben to drive it back in to SLC. We for sure did not get to hang out much at Blend (understandable) so let’s make it happen. Definetly get ahold of me in July too! <3 you!

Nicole C May 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

One more thing, I was reaaaaaalllyyyyyyy looking forward to my living proof tank top!

Meighan May 28, 2013 at 8:39 am

THANK YOU for all that you did! This was the HIGHLIGHT of my year, and I am so happy to have finally met you after all these years of [creepily] following you. Such a topnotch event, and the friendships gained are priceless :)

Brittney Burgett May 29, 2013 at 11:22 am

I have the hardest time keeping my eyes open!

Jen July 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Just reading this now sounds like you had an awesome time! How was the hike I heard hiking there is so pretty. Where you able to save your shoes after the hike?