unwind time.

by Janetha on May 20, 2013

in tips

wow. what a whirlwind the past four days have been. i left you all on thursday morning and have been working on and attending blend retreat up until sunday afternoon. blend retreat was an incredible, amazing, fantastic event. i am taking a big sigh of relief that it all went off without a hitch! there were a few snags here and there, but i think i can confidently say that the retreat was a success! everyone had tons of fun, ate delicious food, enjoyed group fitness activities, and made life-long friends. that last one is what it’s all about.

i would be lying if i told you i wasn’t stressed to the max in the days (even weeks!) leading up to blend. i was definitely stressing over the last details and the fact that i had red rock relay the weekend before didn’t help the stress level (or the to-do list, for that matter.) sooo.. i have decided i am going to take a day or two before i recap the retreat, simply because i need some time to take a load off and decompress. after two weekends out of town in a row, i have a few days before gearing up for my next one! this friday i will be heading to st. george for kristen’s bachelorette party. i swear my may is the craziest ever! sure, it’s a little stressful, but luckily it is all super fun stuff.

coincidentally, i was assigned to state farm’s better state of mind campaign recently. guess what they asked me to talk about? stressing less! i know, right?? i laughed, because that is something i definitely need right.this.very.minute.   so, while i take a load off and let the fabulousness of blend retreat soak in before recapping it, i am going to leave you with MY stress-less secrets and ways i keep the stress level down in my own life.

when there is stress on the high seas, you really need to take a step back and decide where your priorities lie. as much as you want to do ALL the things ALL the time, sometimes you just can’t. when the going gets tough, you need to decide what to cut out of your life so you don’t go absolutely crazy trying to do everything.

for me, this blog is not my #1 priority. it’s a hobby for me and something i definitely enjoy and LOVE. but i have a full-time job, a family, friends, and other activities that come before the blog. unfortunately, that means publishing posts gets pushed aside. sometimes i am on top of things and will arrange guest posts.. but most times i just abandon ship, and i am okay with that! worrying about blog posts was the last thing on my mind this past weekend.

if you have a lot on your plate, see what things don’t absolutely, positively have to have your attention… and let those things go. they will always be there when you have spare time again.

ohmygosh i love a good list! i make lists of lists that i need to make. i am the crazy list lady, for real. but i love them! i use the list! app on my iPhone to keep track of my life.

here is a screen shot of my lists.. they don’t even all fit on the screen!

for some reason, when i list everything out that i need to do, i feel a lot less stressed. just making the list alone and not even checking anything off yet makes me feel better. there’s something calming (and, okay.. sometimes overwhelming) about knowing exactly what items you need to get done. and, come on, the satisfaction of crossing things off your list is one of the best stress-less activities around!

you know i hate folding and hanging up laundry. it stresses me out. bad. but you want to know something so dumb? when i am doing my laundry, i will sort it into two piles: hanging up and folding. then i will sort the piles into piles: t-shirts, long sleeves, tanks, gym pants, gym tops, etc… and THEN, after sorting the sorted, i will finally fold it all. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF? it’s so, so dumb!

i am the master procrastinator, and my sorting habit is just another way for me to procrastinate the folding and hanging of the laundry. the smart thing to do is touch each piece of clothing once.. no sorting, no piles. just pick it up and fold it! it would save time AND save me the stress and anxiety i feel when i see a huge mound of clean laundry.

last night i unpacked my bags from the retreat. instead of letting the bags sit on my floor for a week, i threw everything that needed to be washed in the washer. i unpacked all the electronics and toiletries immediately. i knew that i would be having a super busy week, and nixing the procrastination of unpacking from one trip would really alleviate the stress of packing for the next trip. sure, i was super tired last night and just wanted to pass out on the couch, but i am SO glad i didn’t procrastinate unpacking. that alone peeled off a thick layer of stress and i felt so much better when it was complete!

one last way to nix procrastination is to reply to emails right away. this is one i really need to work on—replying to emails is a big stress in my life. i will read them right away because they are on my iPhone, but then i don’t always reply to them in a timely manner. it would be so much easier (and smarter!) to just reply to each email immediately after reading rather than putting it off. not only does it make the to-do list longer, but it also adds stress because, in the back of my cluttered head, i am always thinking about those emails. yesterday (after unpacking my bags) i sat down for an hour and replied to many emails. i didn’t get to them all, but at least i carved a big chunk of them out of my work load and felt better afterward.

i challenge you to cut back on procrastination if it’s a bad habit for you, and i will do the same. then we can both stress less!

life gets busy, stress piles up. you don’t have to be superwoman all the time and do it all. recruit help! the blend retreat to-do list was 573 miles long and there is NO WAY katie, lindsay, and i could have done it without recruiting the help of many of our family members and friends. it’s okay to ask for help!

relying on others will help cut back on stress. you can also rely on convenience. i like to make my meals at home for the most part, but i am no stranger to convenience items. sometimes relying on takeout and pre-packaged foods can really help you stress less. the last thing i wanted to do last night was make dinner, so i went to target and bought some frozen tortellini and jarred pasta sauce and called it dinner. cereal works well in this situation, too. i am a pro at making cereal for dinner!

those are my stress-less tips for you tonight. like i said, i am going to take a timeout from blogging (well—continue my timeout, i guess, since i have already been MIA since last thursday) and when i return i will tell you all about my experience at blend retreat. i am sure you have seen many, many recaps on other blogs. i am truly grateful for everyone involved in the event and, without a doubt, all the stress involved was definitely worth the experience we all had!!

1. what are YOUR stress-less tips?

2. what is your worst habit? me=procrastination station for SURE!

Red_SF_logo_horz_small_RGB
There to help you. That’s getting to a better State.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by State Farm via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of State Farm.

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 20, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thank you SO much for all of the time, effort, and energy you put into Blend. It was a memorable weekend to say the least. I had the BEST time with some amazing people. You rock! Your stress is much appreciated :).

Nicole C May 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Carly,
You are one outrageously fun and beautiful girl! I am so happy Heather and I got to meet and hang out with you!

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 21, 2013 at 11:03 am

Me too! I’m so happy you ladies came :). And I’m even happier that I didn’t scare you guys away on Saturday night. Hahaha!

Nicole C May 21, 2013 at 11:13 am

No, I think we adored you even more after that night, your outgraeous personality is something I love. Saturday night will officially be referred to as fight club, we don’t talk about it ;)

lindsay May 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I think LIndsays (list) is rubbing off on you.

Love you! Love your list. Balls were included.
;-)

Erica May 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I cannot wait to hear more about Blend! I loved seeing the pictures…but I was insanely jealous ;). Especially because Randy was there and you know I”m obsessed with him hehe. Hope you’re getting some major relaxing in. GREAT job

Megan May 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

LOVE your list on how to de-stress! I need to work on prioritizing since I, like you, have a full-time job and other obligations beyond the blog. Thanks for the reminder!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Blend was a fabulous success. Thank you for organizing such a wonderful event. Now, take a deep breath, relax and decompress!! You definitely deserve it. :)

Ja @Ja on the RUN May 20, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I love reading all posts about this Blend retreat! Looks like a very fun event! :) It’s amazing that you all got to meet. :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

You girls look like you had an amazing time! I wish I lived closer so I could have gone :)

I love my lists as well, I find if I can write everything down and know everything I need to do I get less stressed because its not in my head it is actually on paper and then I can more easily see the priorities.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm

These are some fabulous tips! I hate folding laundry as well. It’s literally my least favorite household chore.

Lists help keep me sane! I have a really short attention span and a terrible memory, so if I don’t write something down I’ll usually forget about it, which leads to more stress later when I either (1) forgot about it until right before or (2) forgot about it until after. Neither are great scenarios to be in!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Blend was amazing and it was so awesome getting to see you again! Thank YOU for the work you did to make it happen again. I already can’t wait for next year… ;) But for now, take some time to unwind, you deserve it!

purelytwins May 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm

procrastination challenge accepted ;)
it was a huge honor to meet you (and a second time for Michelle)!
seriously we adore you and admire you so much!! can’t wait until we can hang out again!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast May 20, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yes! Decompress! You’ve so earned it. Thank you again for the HUGE amount of work you did… if there were any glitches, they were only obvious to you organizers- everything was amazing.
As for stress, I’m definitely a list person too. And delegating!

KaraHadley May 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I LOVE lists! They really do help me see what I have to do so there aren’t a million things running through my head. Also, when I make a list I star the top 5 priorities. That way I know the most important things I have to do so I tackle those first because otherwise, even if I’m checking things off, I’ll still feel stressed knowing the big things are still hanging over me.

candice@hungrymotherrunner May 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm

You did amazing this weekend! You really are the most organized person I know!
I procrastinate too.. but sometimes I deal better when I do. I’m weird like that.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 21, 2013 at 2:56 am

You, Katie, and Lindsay did an AMAZING job with Blend this year…I mean seriously, above and beyond anything I expected! I can only imagine how stressful those days leading up to it must’ve been. I would have lost my marbles for sure! These stress-less tips are perfect for me and really couldn’t have come at a better time since I’ve been saying I need to do something to manage my stress. Blend was a “getaway and forget” kind of trip for me, but now that I’m back to life for real, it’s time to prioritize! I am the worst at procrastination and responding to emails is a BIG thing for me too…definitely need to work on that!

Enjoy your STRESS-FREE time off and have fun at the bachelorette party!

Love you! xoxox

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 21, 2013 at 5:34 am

So glad that Blend was such a success! From what I’ve read it looks like you guys did an excellent job planning and everyone had a fantastic time.

And great tips to stress less! Don’t procrastinate is a big one. I never used to in school, but as an adult I can tend to more and I’m always so much happier when I just get things done and out of the way as soon as possible. Lists are also my friend!

Tamara May 21, 2013 at 7:07 am

So glad you had fun! The pics are great. I’ll look forward to a recap whenever you get around to it. Never any pressure over here… I hardly blog 2x a month, so I more than understand the prioritizing. AND the procrastinating, which is definitely my biggest impediment to stress-free living! xoxo

De @ Cooking for the Other Half May 21, 2013 at 7:27 am

THANK YOU times a zillion for such an incredible weekend. I cannot tell you how much we all appreciated the work you three put into it. You are amazing!

Stacey May 21, 2013 at 9:02 am

I’m not a procrastinator at all, so I can’t relate there but I am a list maker. I feel much more at ease when it’s all written down and the pressure isn’t put upon me to remember everything. Now I just have to remember to take my lists with me.

One thing that has worked well for me is to keep a notepad and pencil on my night stand. I am always remembering things in the middle of the night or when I lay down so I found it easier to just write it down and then I can fall asleep in peace. Otherwise I would get up to do it or think about it all night… both interrupting my sleep. Plus it’s always fun to see your hand writing from the middle of the night :)

Nicole C May 21, 2013 at 9:52 am

My stress less tip is to just walk away. Think about what is stressing myself out and if it is worth it. It’s an obvious answer that working out helps but my way to forget, is my dogs. My day is better every time I come home and see them. For the ultimate stress less tip, the Narrows at Zion. Heaven on earth for me.

Now I have to think about my habits! For some reason, I don’t think things completely through before asking a question. However, this mainly happens with Ben and it’s incredibly frustrating when he catches me on it :)

I will now be searching for the list app! I’m 100% with you on that but it’s because I forget things nowadays. I’m a pen and paper list maker though so we’ll see how the app goes.

Finally, thanks to you, Lindsay and Katie for your wonderous Blend minds. I’m beyond happy I got to meet all you girls there.

Annette@FitnessPerks May 21, 2013 at 10:07 am

Thank YOUUUUUU for such an amazing time at BLEND! I was so impressed–and it was so so so so fun!!! <3

Stress free tips: get a lot of sleep. :)

Stephanie May 21, 2013 at 10:10 am

#1 Stress-less tip = YOGA…Hot yoga especially, because it’s hard to concentrate on anything but exactly what you’re doing when it’s 105 degrees and you’re pouring sweat…but along with that sweat goes a whole lot of stress, and I always leave feeling more capable of handling whatever life has to throw at me! I’m a total procrastinator too, and I find that if I don’t take care of myself through things like working out, I tend to feel way less inclined to do things that need to get done for others (like work deadlines, etc)…airplane/oxygen mask theory: you have to take care of yourself first!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl May 21, 2013 at 10:35 am

I had a blast following all of the pictures on IG this past weekend… But next year, I wanna join in on the fun festivities! Congrats on a successful weekend – everything that I’ve read and seen has been truly awesome!

Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl May 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

I’m a TERRIBLE procrastinator as well! And also jealous I couldn’t make BLEND this year. Next time for sure!!!

Amanda @runtothefinish May 21, 2013 at 11:24 am

Girl you are making it all happen and I think that movers get a little stressed because we want to do it all :) great tips!!! And great event!

You also have me DYING to do red rock next year. I have long wanted to go there and as a relay well this runner would be out of my mind happy

the delicate place May 21, 2013 at 11:52 am

CONGRATS ON THE RETREAT!!!!! i’m learning stress less tips everyday! one of mine is quiet meditation before i go to sleep…just really trying to breathe deeply and slowly and stop thinking!

my worst habit can be my intensity…sometimes i just have a hard time bringing it down and being patient. i bring it all the time haha. good/bad depending on the situation!

Roz@weightingfor50 May 21, 2013 at 11:56 am

Congratulations on Blend!!! Glad it went well. Love the photos (and love that the dogs were there!) Now you can relax and take care of YOU!
Sleep and yoga (not necessarily at the same time :)) are good for stress. Spending time with people you love and have laughs with help too. Take care Janetha!!

kimberlybowsher@gmail.com May 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Blend was so much fun! And I thought it went off hitch-less even with the Saturday morning drizzle. You guys did an amazing job organizing all that and getting us all out there. Can’t wait to do it all over again. I’m also taking a couple days to sort life out again before posting my recap. Life has been so hectic – with the kids, with work, and with so many fun trips and adventures. The good news is our house is clean (but only because we haven’t been home for more than bed time!)

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige May 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm

From where I’m standing, Blend was a 100% success! It was SO much fun, and I loved hanging out with you :)
Great tips for less stress. When I get superstressed, I tend to turn into a hermit for a day or two and just decompress. I also love lists! I always put easy items on top (call back so and so, deposit check, etc) so that way I feel less stressed when I get to the bigger items, like writing a workout program or other work-related tasks.

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 22, 2013 at 6:28 am

You definitely deserve some unwinding! I am bad about responding to e-mails right away, for sure, but also asking for help. I’m always thinking I can do everything. [I’m not sure if this is because I have control issues or I really just don’t want to inconvenience anyone. I’m going to go with control issues. ;)]

calee May 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm

procrastination is one of my worst habits, but i work super well under pressure, so i guess it evens out.

glad i got to see you and meet momma b, your sister, and your doggies (not marshall tho… he seemed so shy and potentially overwhelmed with crazy blogger ladies).

candice s May 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Congrats on a successful weekend. You are so good at what you do.

Enjoy some down time this weekend.

Thanks again for the box of goodies.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 22, 2013 at 5:51 pm

THANK YOU a million times for Blend and all your hard work. You are amazing friend… all three of you are! I’m so blessed to have you as a “blend” :) Rest up now… you deserve it.

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut May 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

Okay I thought I was taking a lot of pictures…but I don’t have a single picture of us together! Next year! ;)

Thank you thank you for arranging this and going through all the hassle and chaos that is coordinating a retreat! I know everyone (including me!) is so thankful!! <3