red rock relay recap: part 2.

by Janetha on May 14, 2013

in fun with friends,moves,travel

yoohoo! time for the actual RACE part of my red rock relay recap. if you are just tuning in, i was in moab, utah last weekend for a 70-mile relay race with five of my girlfriends. our 6-person team tackled 12 legs through moab’s la sal mountains which had beautiful back country red rock and alpine terrains.

we woke up and were in a hurry, so i had a strawberry banana core power on my way to the starting line. these don’t hurt my stomach at all! win.

our start time was 7:30 AM and candice was runner #1. the way this race works is you have a vehicle and are able to drive the course with your team and cheer on the teammate running the current leg. HOWEVER, this is not the case with the first leg… so candice was on her own for the first 7.5 miles of the relay. see ya later, cand!

while she was running, we decorated our bus. we were the GPP barbies (GPP is the gym we all go to in case you aren’t aware) and we each picked a different barbie to be. this is what the girls did last year, too, but i wasn’t on the team back then. it was fun decorating with paint, barbie dolls, and a huge human-size barbie cutout!

imageimage

we gassed up and hit the road to head to the first exchange. we wanted to liven things up a bit, so we busted out the boom box and started dancing around until candice arrived. barbie even decided to join us!

IMG_7859IMG_7870

we welcomed her with open arms and a whole lot of FOOD in the back of the car! i think i was eating constantly all day long…

imageIMG_7875

wendy ran leg #2 and nikki ran leg #3… before i knew it it was MY turn. leg #4.. gulp. the one i had been dreading.

5.5 miles with quite the climb in the blazing hot sun… and, yes, it was as hard as i had expected it to be. before taking off, i laced up my shoes, put in my ear buds, took some shroom tech sport and some endurance fuel by twinlab that wendy had brought along. she swore by it, and i needed all the help i could get hahah.

IMG_7882IMG_7884

i had major butterflies in my stomach when it was almost my turn. nikki handed off the bracelet at the exchange and at that point all the fun & games were over!

luckily my sister in law let me borrow her garmin so i knew how far (and how slow) i was going. i swear to you by the end of the first mile it felt like i had gone three. whomp, whomp. the hill just kept going up, up, up. it did flatten out in spots, but only for a bit.. and then it was time to climb again. it was SUCH a mental battle for me! the scorching sun and heat didn’t help.

i guess it was during my first leg that the rest of my team had some serious fun! i missed out on the random fire truck photoshoot… i was too busy suffering on those hills!

i was really struggling after four miles. every time my girls passed me, they would pour water on my face and back—that helped with the heat—but the hills were beating me up. then one of my favorite workout songs happened to come on (cause a scene by the format) and it seriously CARRIED me through the rest of the leg. i have always loved the lyrics and they have helped me get through level 10 sprints during body for life.. but it seems like they apply to my life even more now. it’s CRAZY what a simple song can do to your mentality! another song that came on after that was we’re at the top of the world by the juliana theory and that actually helped with the rest of the run, too.

i was SO GLAD when those 5.5 miles came to an end!! i gladly handed off to mandy and hopped back in the party bus to inhale some grapes and send a text to marshall and my mom. they were convinced i was going to die ;)

IMG_7886IMG_7889IMG_7887

the next few hours were fun! mandy ran, then candice ran her second leg, then amy ran. i LOVED the hanging out part of the race! the running part? not so much. but cheering all of the runners on was a blast and we had a lot of laughs in and out of the party bus. we were driving alongside a team of people we know and that made it lots more fun! plus, we ran out of water near the end (whoops) so they were there to save the day and share theirs!

imageimageimage

it was always fun to hop out and encourage which ever teammate was running at the moment.

yes.. those are pink high heels and a boom box. we were barbies… remember?

before i knew it, it was time for my second leg (#8). it was only 2.2 miles, but it was an even steeper climb than the first!

endurance-wise, this leg wasn’t bad at all. i am good with shorter distances. the part that sucked was my hip flexors were ACHING and my knee started tensing up about a mile in. my ankle also hurt by the end of the leg.. and after further inspection from my trainer it turns out i strained a tendon (or is it ligament? i don’t know… all i know is it hurts and i am not running for awhile!) even though i was in a little pain, i was in good spirits after my second leg and was just so happy to be DONE!

the rest of the race was good times for me since i didn’t have to worry about running anymore. i ate a bunch of food and cheered on my teammates on their final legs. we all changed into our barbie getups right before the final leg was through.

i was baking barbie! are you surprised? haha.

we linked up with amy (our final runner) and all jogged across the finish line together. it took us just over 11 hours to complete the race! (no official time.. it wasn’t a “for time” type of thing.)

IMG_7956image

neil (owner of GPP) was there announcing at the finish line, so we had to snag a photo with him since we were the GPP barbies and all.

the finish line was actually pretty anticlimatic and we were STARVING for REAL food.. so we zipped out of there and put our name in at zak’s pizzeria. it was a 25 minute wait, so we all parked it on the curb in exhaustion while waiting for our table.

we eventually sat down and, as much as i wanted pizza, i knew the cheese would rock my stomach. instead, i ordered a chicken wrap with the most delicious fries ever and ate a few of mandy’s pizza crusts.

you would think that after 14 hours of go-go-go we would just go to bed, but we decided to go out afterward. we went to the hotel and i took a quick shower. we walked across the street to woody’s, but after about an hour we decided bed was a better idea. we headed back to the hotel and crashed hard!

the next morning we got up bright and early, packed up our gear, and hit the road for SLC! we made it home around 2 PM.. just in time to celebrate mother’s day with momma b!

i would have to say that participating in red rock relay was a fun experience and i am super glad i decided to do it. i was hesitant and even dreading it, but i am proud that i completed my legs and that i was able to do hard things. it was definitely a mind over matter thing for me, and in the end i am happy i was able to overcome that mental block telling me i couldn’t complete this race.

i loved being part of a team and definitely preferred this kind of race to any other i have completed. the five ladies i ran with are some of the most thoughtful, fun, fabulous people i know. i am lucky to have been a part of their team and to call them friends. they have all welcomed me into their lives with open arms and i love them all to the moon!

HOWEVER… i still don’t like running. “you’ll love it!” they said. “once you are there you’ll change your mind!” they said. they were wrong.. i LOVED the non-running part. the hanging out part. the before and after part. but my mind is not changed, i just don’t like to run. i am glad i experienced the relay race, but next time i think i will just be the driver or volunteer to help out. running and me.. we are just not meant to be.

even though i don’t love it, i sure am proud of myself for doing it. it’s always good to step out of your comfort zone and prove yourself wrong!

1. what was your favorite race? or, if you have never done one.. do you want to?

2. when was the last time you stepped out of your comfort zone and what did you do?

special thanks to wendy for letting me use her pictures! please check her website at wendyhaslamphotography.com!

Lindsay's List May 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

you guys should frame that picture sitting on the curb! love it! and i’m so proud of you!

Lisa May 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I love all your pictures! It looks like such a great time (and you are absolutely beautiful!). I have to say I DO NOT love running. My favorite race to WATCH is the Spring Lake 5 .. it is a 5 mile run held every Memorial Day weekend in Spring Lake, NJ. My husband and sister run it every year (and I watch! haha) .. there are over 10,000 people that run it and it is a fun kick off to the holiday weekend.

Kady May 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Such great pics! You girls rock! The only race I have ran in was a 5k running portion of a team triathlon… I agree that cheering on teammates and getting cheered is the best part :)

cath@1970kikiproject May 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

way to go, j!!! loved reading your recaps.
moab is my most favourite place to run – such good memories of the running i did there. loved your photos!!
maybe next year you can just drive the van?!!

Erica May 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

This is SO much fun! I want to do one of these!! Baking barbie? Too cute. My favorite race- probably the half I just ran. It was a pretty run and I ran the fastest half I’ve ever run!

lindsay May 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Those are such fun races! but i think your nickname should have been BADASS BAKING BARBIE. or AMAZEBALLS BARBIE.. what? jk
;-)

Katie May 14, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I love all of these picture! How cute are youuuu?! I can hardly stand it.

lorie May 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

So proud of you girl and your great attitude. You stay true to yourself and are always willing to step out of your comfort zone. Looks like you guys made some great memories!

Lori

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 14, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Huge congrats! Those hills look terrible. But it looks like you and your team had an awesome time, which is all that matters, right? :) Kudos for giving running a chance, too. It’s not for everyone. :)

elaine c. May 15, 2013 at 1:06 am

i’m so impressed and proud to read this! been reading your blog for a while now and i’ve always loved how you say that running is not your thing — not mine either! i did sign up for my first 5k this summer. it’s the electric run done at night time. doing it with a bunch of girlfriends so it should be fun. maybe it will spark that “runner’s high” for me, but i highly doubt it :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 15, 2013 at 2:05 am

Wow you girls looked like you had an awesome time (apart from the whole running part :) hehe )

Best race I did was City to Sea here in Melbourne last year it was just a good run overall for me, there wasn’t anything particularly special about it, I just ran well and had trained well for it so it felt good.

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 15, 2013 at 6:51 am

Love all the pictures. Sounds like you made the most out of this adventure. so cool!

betty May 15, 2013 at 7:21 am

ahhhhh ’cause a scene’ and ‘we’re at the top of the world’ are two of my fav songs. i love listening to we’re at the top of the world on a spring or summer day .. it puts me in such a good mood!

glad you made it through the race! and i love your houndstooth baking gear!!

i’m still so bummed im not going to be a blend this weeknd. wah. next year.. seriously.

Tamara May 15, 2013 at 8:38 am

Wow, J, that looks super fun… and INTENSE!! I’m so proud of you! I enjoy running a bit, but I’m not fast and I don’t know that I could hang in your altitudes with that kind of hill situation. Way to go! You must have used some really good sunscreen, too. You all look so cute in your Barbie tanks and accessories.

I did Warrior Dash in 2011 and 2012. It was fun, but definitely a big challenge. Last year’s even moreso, since it involved some swimming… SO not my strong suit. I did it, though. I blogged about it and even planned to do it again this year, but I just sold my ticket last week. I decided 2x was enough and I will now move on to plain ol’ 5Ks. :)

xo

Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl May 15, 2013 at 8:51 am

I love that even though you HATE running you’re still willing to push yourself to do it. :) I don’t know if I have a favorite race, but I think the Electric run coming up is going to be one I’ll adore forever. My team is planning to be RIDICULOUS with our outfits and the group is such a fun bunch of guys. I can’t wait.

Nicole C May 15, 2013 at 9:05 am

I really like doing the Duathlon races, I should try a bike one though because I don’t like the running so much. I’ve done a Duathlon the past 2 years, my Mom even did it with me last year. I’m sad to miss it this month but I will be at BLEND! Woo!

Signing up to run a 5k alone and being mentally tough to finish without stopping, was stepping out of my comfort zone. I’m sure most people have done that no problem but it was tough to not give in and stop. Signing up for Blend is also stepping out of my comfort zone too but I’ve worked on not being so shy for my whole life so here’s to a good time.

Sami May 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

of all the amazing things you’ve done in this post… i’m going to compliment you on the weirdest one, i’m sure. but seriously. someone else out there has to be thinking it… your eyes look so awesome! maybe it’s the lash extensions or something, but seriously. stunning! only you could manange to look gorgeous during a race. really.

love ya :)

Melissa May 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

love it! Sorry about your leg though.

I love relays, I’ve run 3 long distance, 6 marathon relays, and 3 short ones.

Annette@FitnessPerks May 15, 2013 at 11:29 am

Such great photos! And love the Barbie theme so so much!!

COngrats on doing something tough for you–and for getting outside your comfort zone. A great, great example to us all. :) I go in phases with running, for sure. I like it, but don’t looooovve. it. hah

momma b. May 15, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I’m so proud of you! I know all about the “I hate to run” thing – in that regard we are for sure related!! I would totally love the hanging out, volunteering and cheering on part – we can fight over who will be driver next year :-)

For a few seconds I thought about training for an ironman – haha, I still have a 25 year old brain hanging out in my 60 year old body!!

Glad you were part of such a great group of ladies – Barbies rule for sure!

I love you!!
xo

Lisa May 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm

How awesome! Looks like such a fun race, well intense too. And the pictures are gorgeous too! So bright, you guys look good for working out:)
Congrats on finishing it!
For a non loving runner you sure kick some booty! It’s awesome to get out of that comfort zone and do something different. I’ve been trying to do that more lately!

Victoria May 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

That looks so fun! I would love to do a relay some day.

My favorite race is the Vancouver Marathon. I’ve done the half 4-5 times (lost count) and the full twice. The scenery is so beautiful and the weather is usually great. Not to mention Vancouver is one of my favorite places.

Sadly, I can’t remember the last time I stepped outside my comfort zone. Maybe it’s time I do that.

ali moll May 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Congrats Janetha! Looks like you barbies had a blast! I know you don’t like running, so I am super excited that you did it! You always inspire me!

Have a FAB day!

Kenzie @ sarcasminspandex May 15, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cause a Scene by The Format. It is on my running playlist for every race. Beat+lyrics=perfect running song. One time it played at the gym on a playlist I made and I got made fun of to no end.

BroccoliHut May 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Awesome recap! Running up a gradual hill is the WORST. Congrats to you for doing it for almost 8 miles!
My favorite race would either have to be Color Me Rad (I mean who doesn’t love getting pummeled with colored cornstarch?) or a 5K that was hosted at my hometown’s zoo.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Someday I want to do one of these relay runs – they just seem so fun! But I’ll pass on extreme heat and lots of hills. Fast and flat, please! ;)

calee May 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

love that you guys did a barbie theme. and i’m proud of you for running this because i know how much you LOVE to run. ;) see ya soon!

maria May 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Love that song by The Format. Used to listen to it a lot a few years ago, but had forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Terry Powers May 19, 2013 at 5:52 am

Relay runs are fun – your’s take that to the next level!
Thanks for sharing, I’ll be looking to use some of your ideas at our next event!

Terry

Erin @ LiveLifeActive.com May 24, 2013 at 7:56 am

That looks like so much fun!!!