red rock relay recap: part 1.

by Janetha on May 13, 2013

in fun with friends,travel

i’m back! i was in moab all weekend for the red rock relay. we left friday and got back sunday. it was a quick trip, but we packed a lot stuff in and i am here to tell the tale.

friday!

friday we left the SLC bright and early around 11 AM. because we weren’t taking off too early, i took my mom to breakfast for mother’s day breakfast. she had never been to sunshine cafe, so i treated her to the deliciousness. i had the garden scramble and she had the denver omelet. i got her a lulu tank and some quest bars along with two funny cards—because one is never enough!

IMG_7749IMG_7750

after breakfast i packed up the car with all my junk for the trip and then met my ladies at GPP. my boss was nice enough to lend us his suburban. we played tetris to get everything situated in the vehicle and then hit the road!

i was chugging my water like it was my job and i also snacked on this, that, and the other. we all had to pee soo bad by the time we made it to price. it was bad. we abandoned the boss bus immediately upon entering the gas station parking lot. mandy fled so fast that she actually ended up with two different flip flops on her feet. i was laughing at it so hard from my stall. two right feet!

we decided to have a picnic in the parking lot. we had SO MUCH FOOD between the six of us! i had some bacon wrapped chicken, sweet potato fries, a hard boiled egg, cucumbers and hummus, and half of a peanut butter sandwich. my non-blogging friends help me be a better food blogger ;)

IMG_7773IMG_7775

i filled up the gas tank and then we were back on the road!

we had a lot of fun on the way down! maybe too much fun, in fact, because we got distracted and ended up lost. whoops! i guess we missed a turn somewhere along the line. of course we all had to pee again and there was no gas station in sight.. so we took it to the wilderness. the good news was we were close! only 20 miles from moab.

we got to moab right before registration started for red rock relay. that’s a good thing, since we were the people in charge of working registration.. haha. we arrived and got right to work! we checked people in and handed them their race bags. it was a lot of fun and there was tons of energy among all the participants!

after awhile we took a break, tagged the sign with our team name (the GPP barbies) and had some more bacon wrapped chicken at the car for dinner.

we went back to registration to finish things up before it closed at 9 PM. after registration we checked into our hotel. hi candice!

even though we had a race to run in the morning, we wanted to go out for a bit. a few of us decided to go to eddie mcstiff’s for a snack and some socializing.  we split the mediterranean skewers and they were delicious. i also had a mojito—not quite as amazing as the ones in costa rica, but it was still good.

IMG_7833 (2)

we wandered next door for a bit to check out the local scene. turns out a band was playing at woody’s so we tuned in for a bit.

it was a good time, but we knew our wake up call would come early, so we went back to the hotel after just a little bit. even after the long day of driving and working, it was hard to fall asleep. maybe it was nerves from knowing the race was the next morning.. but i think i finally dozed off around 1 AM. that definitely made the 7 AM alarm seem extra annoying…

next post will be the actual race recap! this one was already pretty long, so i decided to split it up!

have a great night.. i am off to work on final touches of blend retreat. can’t believe it’s on friday! eeee!

1. where was your last road trip destination?

2. what did you do over the weekend? missed you guys!

Purelytwins May 13, 2013 at 6:16 pm

you girls are silly…love it!! love road trips!

Erica May 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm

SO fun! What a great group :). Yummy eats too. Way to go out the night before the run ;). What did I do this weekend? Lots of family stuff, taught, ate some delicious food (and lots of candy ;))

Ja @Ja on the RUN May 13, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Oooh I love this! I love roadtrips especially with good company of friends!
Looking forward for your race recap! :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 13, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I did the Mother’s Day Classic with my mum and sister an 8km walk that helps raise money for breast cancer research.

I can’t remember the last road trip I did, yours looked like fun though!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 13, 2013 at 9:56 pm

So much good-looking food!! And it sounds like so much fun, too!

The last road trip I was on was with my family to Disney world quite a few years back! It was long, and cramped, and we never ended up driving to Disney again!

Nik May 14, 2013 at 12:50 am

Love this post Love that you’re in my life! Can’t wait to read what you have to say about the actual race! haha!! xoxo

Anna @AnnaTheApple May 14, 2013 at 1:52 am

Road trips with friends are always so much fun. But I always have to pea at least once, I have a bladder the size of a walnut!!
Picnic in a car park sounds strange but fun hehe.

Lisa May 14, 2013 at 4:09 am

It looks like you had a great time! :-)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 14, 2013 at 4:20 am

Haha! Love the food posing! Too cute! Looks like you had an amazing time! My last road trip was back in January when the man-friend and I went down to Atlanta! We had a lot of fun visiting friends, shopping IKEA and omg, there was so much fooooooooood! Lol

My weekend was pretty low key…my mom had to work on Mother’s Day but my sister and I decided to surprise her in the middle of her shift! She was so excited! The look on her face when we walked through the door was priceless!

Corrie Anne May 14, 2013 at 7:49 am

That looks so fun!!! My last weekend like that was some of my girlfriends coming out to Denver — I missed the road tripping part, but we had a blast!

Nicole C May 14, 2013 at 8:46 am

Dude, I think the last road trip I took was from Pittsburgh to Niagara Falls last year, that counts right? I need to check seeing the Falls off my bucket list while vacationing in PA.

I ran my 5k this weekend without stopping, I’m jazzed about it. That means the GPP and Fitmixer workouts have been working. Check that off my list as well. Then I got invited to go see The Rolling Stones, so I couldn’t really turn that down!

Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl May 14, 2013 at 8:47 am

I haven’t done a road trip in ages! I guess a semi-small one was to Richmond VA for my sister’s birthday weekend. My older sister and I carpooled and had a lot of good convos on the way.

This weekend I had a bachelorette party, a soccer game (where I got pelted in the face by the ball), and a concert! It was fun but crazy busy!

Becky @ Olives n Wine May 14, 2013 at 8:53 am

I can totally relate on the running to the bathroom during a roadtrip!! I am always the one to drink too much water or coffee and begging my husband to stop at the next rest stop ;) Can’t wait for the rest of your updates!

jessiker May 14, 2013 at 9:28 am

Love it! That photo of you at the gas station is the cutest. I adore it. Can’t wait to hear about your race. So proud of you, you little power-house!!! Also, I miss you. I know you’re super busy but hopefully I’ll see you before we go to St. George.

Annette@FitnessPerks May 14, 2013 at 9:56 am

HAHA. Love the 2 diff flip flops. HAH.

Can’t wait to hear the rest!

the delicate place May 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

woo moab! looks gorgeous. my last road trip was unfortunately a 6 hr trip to philly for a death in the fam. my weekend was wayyyyy too adult but sort of fun too. we are rehabbing a 1920s home and were choosing a couch and countertop colors/wallpaper (yep, some wallpaper…just on 1 or 2 walls though) i could never handle the entire house eeps!

Kristin May 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I love road trips!! It looks like you guys had a great time! Thanks for sharing!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie May 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I love road trips! You looked like you guys had a blast! We will be traveling to the beach in a week and a half!! I can’t wait (can you tell by all my !s haha)

calee May 16, 2013 at 11:50 am

love the pic of you and your friend with the lipstick. cuteness.

and have to point out that my work has me so ingrained in acronyms that I thought moab was MOAB and was wondering what the hell it stood for when you were blogging about it (because i’ve honestly been skimming lately with limited time to catch up on everybody).