staples & new stuff.

by Janetha on May 1, 2013

in groceries,meals,moves

holler. how was your first day of may? all you hoped for and maybe more? we had a little bit of snow here in utah. typical! luckily it is too warm for it to stick around, though.

after a long day of work (well, standard eight hours, it just felt longer that usual today because i had a lot to do!) i headed to GPP for BuRpEe SuRpRiSe!<—i actually despise it when i see things written like that, but couldn’t help myself for some reason. no idea what came over me! i am in a weird mood. i blame lack of sleep.

burpee surprise is a biotch. as if burpees weren’t bad enough.. this workout has you combine that ever-so-loved move with a bunch of other moves to create the ultimate burpee workout. you can go here to see the demos of each move. basically you hit the deck to do a burpee, and when you come up.. you do the move it calls for (pullup, box jump, OH press, triceps ext, or high sumo.) after 25 of one move, you go onto the next until you’re all done. fun stuff. but not really. i hate burpees and they hate me back.

this workout took me 15 minutes 11 seconds. not bad! but not as good as my PR (14:23)–oh well, can’t always get a PR, right?

after GPP i headed to golds to do a chest/triceps/shoulders workout. i have been throwing a couple lifting workouts in here and there lately. i GPP 5-6 times a week, but, at times, i do miss lifting weights like i used to. it’s been fun to lift a little here and there, but i definitely prefer GPP workouts to anything else!

after the gym i headed home and fixed dinner. the menu tonight was greek salads—a favorite in our casa! i guess i should learn how to say “house” in greek and it would be more appropriate than saying “casa”—i will save casa for taco tuesday lingo.

anyway, greek salads! i always make the chicken marinade a bit different and i rarely measure. this batch had oregano, garlic, smoked paprika, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

IMG 7540

i made tzatziki with greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, and dried dill.

IMG 7532

i whipped up a balsamic couscous pilaf (can it be called a pilaf? i don’t even know…) with whole wheat couscous, white balsamic vinegar, mediterranean feta, sun dried tomatoes salt, and pepper.

IMG 7538

all together!

IMG 7543

so good.. i could eat this daily. so simple, too!

sooo.. onto the title topic of the post! i usually do grocery shopping posts on sunday night, but i had a few posts lined up so this one got pushed to wednesday! but i am sure it makes no difference to you and you have not been losing sleep over not knowing what i bought at the grocery store. i didn’t document everything from sunday’s trip, but i did want to show you things from two categories: STAPLES that i buy EVERY week and then some NEW things that i have NEVER bought before!

staples.

every week i go to the store, i get these things. if we run out mid-week, i will typically make another trip to the store to stock up! this is not ALL our staples, obviously, but these are the staples i stocked up on on sunday. oh, and i just threw one of things i got multiples of into the photo, like the chobani and kombucha.

• french vanilla so delicious coconut milk creamer (i always have one at work and one at home!)
  • nature’s path pop tarts
  • kombucha
  • shredded cheese
  • tortillas (marshall eats a lot of quesadillas!)
  • eggs
  • egg whites
  • chicken breasts
  • ground turkey (or chicken)
  • chobani yogurt
  • whipped cream cheese (it’s gotta be whipped!)
  • tempting trail mix (aka best snack everrrr)
  • reduced sugar strawberry jam from trader joe’s (our favorite jam aside from momma b’s homemade!)

produce staples! (again, not a comprehensive list.)

• baby cucumbers
  • spinach
  • red onions
  • apples
  • cauliflower
  • tomatoes
  • bananas

new stuff.

one of my favorite things about taking my time grocery shopping on sundays is i get to peruse the aisles to find new-to-me products. i found quite a few this past trip!

these items above all happen to be fruity!

• annie’s fruit bites in strawberry
  • that’s it fruit bars–katie turned me onto these when we were in PC over the weekend!
  • dried mandarin oranges from trader joe’s
  • all fruit ends & pieces (also from trader joe’s)

these purchases above were all from whole foods!

• mini peanut butter and cheddar cheese cracker sandwiches. i used to love the ritz ones as a kid!
  • tessemae’s italian dressing. SUPER pricey, but way good. i love it. half the bottle is already gone and it’s wednesday…
  • shaved brussels sprouts. way more convenient than cooking them whole! i made a stir fry with this bag.
  • trim toniq.. apparently it helps with hunger. it was on sale and a total impulse buy and i haven’t tried it yet… maybe tomorrow!
well.. those are all the purchases i have to share with you tonight! it’s way past my bedtime, so i’m gonna jet. have a good one!

1. what are some of YOUR grocery store staples?

2. what’s your favorite salad? mine is a toss up! i love greek, cobb, and taco salads all so much.

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 1, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Would it be weird if I showed up at your house for Greek Salad night? Yeah, I guess it would be… Maybe I’ll just attempt my own Greek Salad instead.

sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 1, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I’m in love with the vanilla coconut milk creamer!! I almost got those candied tangerines.. how do you like them? are they a must get? planning a TJ run on Sunday! You should try the Hummus dressing.. it’s with the other cold dressing in the veggie isle.. delicious!!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness May 1, 2013 at 10:29 pm

excuse me.. mandarin’s :)

Josh Carter May 1, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I love the burpees shirt! That is awesome.
Anyone who like burpees is insane. And doing box jump right after that is intense. That will sure make you jump higher though. That’s a good workout for basketball players!

Erica May 2, 2013 at 12:41 am

That salad looks amazing! Great combination of flavors. Now I want it for dinner or lunch today! dried mandarin oranges? omgosh- buying. Are they awesome? Staples: greek yogurt, ground turkey, baking stuff to make homemade bars or muffins, milk, almond milk, oats, peanut butter, tons of fruits and vegetables. Favorite salad? oh gosh….I can’t pick :)

Annie May 2, 2013 at 1:42 am

Hi Janetha, I’m always gloomy when i see your shopping cos we don’t get hardly any of that good stuff in South Africa :) Please can i ask you something which is totally baffling me: after training seriously for 3 and a half months I’ve only lost a kilogram BUT I’ve increased my body fat percentage. I’ve been eating really well so I’m puzzled However I am quite small and petite to start with. Does this seem right to you??

So thanks to your delicious-looking couscous, I’ll be having the same tonight :) :)

ML Bishop May 2, 2013 at 1:57 am

How funny, I just discovered Tessemae’s dressings, oh my they’re good. The Lemon Chesapeake is AMAZING, you have to try.

Janetha May 2, 2013 at 11:09 am

I will get it! I wanted them ALL (And the buffalo sauce) but they are too pricey for that haha

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 2, 2013 at 4:02 am

Every week I buy salsa, salad greens, broc slaw, nuts, mushrooms, apples, oranges and bananas. These are must haves!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 2, 2013 at 5:05 am

I LOVE taco salads but I think one reason is because they’re pretty much another version of a garbage bowl salad which are my favorite. It’s a great way to use up WHATEVER is left in the fridge. :)

Tracey May 2, 2013 at 5:38 am

You should open a cafe, you come up with the best meal ideas!

Janetha May 2, 2013 at 11:08 am

That is mine and Marshall’s dream! We even say “this goes on the menu” when we eat a really good meal I made.. haha.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 2, 2013 at 5:56 am

Ohh, I haven’t had a Greek salad in ages! Might have to put that on the meal plan for next week. Cobb salads are probably my favourite though, but hard boiled egg and bacon on a salad is always delicious.

Staples: eggs, egg whites, bananas, spinach, chicken breasts, baby carrots, hummus, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, almond milk, cereal of some sort. Always have to keep well stocked on those!

Anna @AnnaTheApple May 2, 2013 at 6:03 am

Love the sound of that Greek salad. Couscous and feta are perfect for each other. With sundried tomatoes too, mm heaven!
I always buy apples – and I have to buy them in the week to top-up! Usually some frozen chicken breasts, vegetables and maybe some ice cream :-P

Jenny May 2, 2013 at 6:56 am

Ohhhh burpees…and followed by other moves, like box jumps! AH! But hurts so good I’m sure :)

Lovin’ that salad! I feel the least creative when it comes to big salads, but everything in this one is right up my alley! Love the sundried tomato addition to quinoa…yum!

Linz @ Itz Linz May 2, 2013 at 7:31 am

burpees do suck! and there was just an outbreak of salmonella in ground turkey so be careful… i made some on monday and have been eating it all week and have been fine, but my parents sent me an article… ugh!

Janetha May 2, 2013 at 11:07 am

I just read that article, too! Marshall sent it to me. I will be making my own for awhile instead now.

betty May 2, 2013 at 7:45 am

i cringe when i SeE sTuFF LiKe tHiS. gross. and i almost cringe that much when i have to go to the grocery store. i still hate it so much. my staples would probably be ground turkey, greek yogurt, eggs, chicken, cheese.. stuff like that.

Maren May 2, 2013 at 7:54 am

Oh shredded brussel sprouts…worth every penny! I am definitely a cobb salad girl! Lately I’ve been buying the bulk romaine, green onions and a bag of broccoli slaw and prepping it all right away and then I have a nice, easy, prepared salad base! TWO WEEKS!!!!

Corrie Anne May 2, 2013 at 7:56 am

I’ve really gotten into that coconut milk creamer too – so good. I always buy sweet potatoes, avocados, and usually a chocolove. :)

Alissa May 2, 2013 at 8:16 am

Grrr… burpees! My staples include apples, chicken, ground meat, ground sausage, & spinach.

Sam May 2, 2013 at 8:42 am

I love that shirt! How do I get one??

Janetha May 2, 2013 at 11:07 am

My gym made them! I will see if they are ordering more.. if they do, would you want one? It would be $25 plus shipping. Let me know and let me know what size, too!

Sam May 3, 2013 at 7:20 am

Yes please! Not sure about the size. how do they run, are they normal tank top material?

jen @nutcaseinpoint May 2, 2013 at 10:30 am

Staples: Berries, bananas, red peppers, snap peas, unsweetened almond milk.. now I’m hungry

I rotate favorites for salads. I goes between chopped chicken, with fruit in the mix, balsamic..again, still hungry!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

Burpeees…..hurts so good!

I want that Greek salad. Yummmm! Must make soon here!

Shari May 2, 2013 at 11:28 am

spiti – Greek for house.

Tamara May 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I love so many salads. Definitely Greek and taco. And the one I blogged about this week is a current fave.

Staples: baby spinach, bananas, Fage 2% Greek yogurt, oats, eggs, apples, blueberries, baby bell peppers, green onions, tortillas (LOVE quesadiillas), shredded cheddar (for the quesadillas), peanut butter, Ezekiel bread, avocado and/or guacamole… I’m sure I’m omitting a ton of things!

emily (a nutritionist eats) May 2, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I want that salad. My staples? Salad greens, eggs, vegetables for dinner, greek yogurt. Then I end up getting a ton of other random stuff too .

Jess May 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My favourite salad has to be with feta cheese, asparagus, finely chopped carrots, beetroot and chicken…love it!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I buy a lot of the same staples! Chobani, eggs, cheese…I’m thinking I really need to add trail mix to that list! I don’t buy it every week but it’s such a great snack I should really buy it more. Lately I’ve been obsessed with Trader Joe’s mixed dried fruit (it has blueberries, cherries, golden raisins, etc) it’s so good to just grab a handful of for a quick snack. Love it. And Greek salad for dinner looks delicious!

BroccoliHut May 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm

That Greek salad looks SOO good! I make Greek salads pretty often too, but I’m too lazy to make tzatziki.
My grocery store staples include: bananas (LOTS), apples, peppers, almond milk, cottage cheese, eggs, Life cereal, and peanut butter. I used to buy natural PB in bulk at Costco (Kirkland brand) until they stopped selling it. Boo!

Katie May 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I actually wore my ‘burpees hate you too’ shirt for that workout yesterday too! Seriously, though…we hated each other. A lot.

Christina D May 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Love the tank! Any chance GPP is selling those online? I poked around on their website a bit and couldn’t find anything but I’d love to have one :)

Janetha May 2, 2013 at 10:33 pm

They do! Not online but let me know if you want to order one. $25 plus shipping!

Christina May 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm

yes I definitely want to order one! probably a size large so it’s a little roomy. let me know how to pay for it :)

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige May 3, 2013 at 8:02 am

Whoa – that workout does look killer! I can’t imagine doing 25 burpees + 25 OH presses – hello shoulders from the push up/press combo! Nice :)
My staples lately include: proteins (chicken thighs, ground beef, salmon) + frozen veggies + sweet potatoes. Impulse buys that always wind up in my cart (soooo kinda staples?) include coconut butter, different gf breads, and ice cream. haha

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie May 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm

recently my favorite salad is chicken with hot sauce, spinach, celery, bleu cheese, and ranch dressing

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I have VERY similar staples, and I will also go mid-week if I run out. Despite buying the same things every week, I never seem to get timing right (or actual rate of consumption). Also, I shop at 12,000 different stores, so if something is on sale that I normally buy tons of…say, Chobani…then I might go back multiple times in the week because I feel like I better take advantage. [I don’t want to tell you how many 99 cent pineapples I bought from Kroger last week. Staggered. So they’d ripen at different times.]

Jenny May 20, 2013 at 12:10 am

That seems like a lot of processed foods…

Janetha May 20, 2013 at 9:40 am

Is there a problem with including some processed foods in your diet? I believe in balance. A little convenience food won’t kill you–especially not these ones which don’t have any funky ingredients.

Ariana February 9, 2014 at 1:11 am

That looks like a badass burpee workout! I can’t wait to give it a shot. And I think you’ve inspired a new dish for next week’s meal prep ;) Thanks for sharing!