eva’s bakery for lunch.

by Janetha on April 23, 2013

in eating out

hi, guys!

i tried a new-to-me restaurant today and wanted to share.. all SLC locals need to try eva’s bakery.

eva’s bakery is owned by the same person as eva small plates & drinks (which i have been to once before and LOVED.) this french cafe offers baked goodies, gourmet coffee and tea, and a small breakfast and lunch menu. i met nikki and mandy there today for lunch. mandy is going to mexico so we wanted to get together prior to her departure.

image  we are a human oreo cookie

the bakery, which is nestled on main street between 1st and 2nd south, is small inside, but very adorable! i loved the interior decor—from the furnishings to the light fixtures to the art. it was all super cute.

IMG_7271 IMG_7270

i ordered the roasted chicken salad which included romaine, apples, candied walnuts, fresh basil, and an apple vinaigrette.

my salad was incredible. the chicken was moist, the apples were crisp, and the vinaigrette was perfectly tangy.

nikki and mandy both ordered the special: a club sandwich on wheat with an arugula & asiago side salad.

you can see the cafe menu here. i believe their breads and pastries change often.

their desserts all looked INCREDIBLE. they even had vegan options for those who are into that sort of thing.

mandy got the lemon blackberry goat cheese cheesecake to go. i tasted it and it gets my seal of approval!

i am cutting tonight’s post short because there is a lot to do and very little time to do it in. you know how that goes! have a great tuesday night and/or wednesday!

1. what is the last new-to-you restaurant you tried (and what did you order?)

2. favorite bakery item? i am still dreaming of tartine’s cinnamon rolls… over two years later!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Those desserts look like they’re to die for. I’d never heard of goat cheese in cheesecake, but it sounds heavenly. Definitely going to have to either scrounge that up somewhere or make it! I’m in love with goat cheese.

The last new-to-me restaurant I tried was one that uses only local, organic ingredients. (Speaking of how much I love goat cheese) I got their goat cheese salad, which included grilled chicken, slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese, sundried tomatoes, apple slices, sprouts, a warm goat cheese medallion, and some kind of sundried tomato dressing. It was literally the best salad I’ve ever had.

Erica April 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm

The salad looks amazing! apple vinaigrette? YUM!

Heather @ Heather's Dish April 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Ugh, I just want one of everything – it all looks so good!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 23, 2013 at 9:07 pm

goat cheese cheesecake sounds so good! The last time my parents were in town we tried a new to us restaurant, azur. It is a nicer restaurant than I ever eat at but my stepdad and I both had the salmon with a lobster polenta and it’s probably one of the best restaurant meals I have had in a really long time.

Lisa April 23, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Wow everything look and sounds amazing!
And goat cheese in cheesecake oh my goshhh. If I could have dairy without dying in stomach pain, I’d be all over that. Actually, I think I’d risk the pain for that. Goat cheese is my favorite ever.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 24, 2013 at 5:42 am

I want to attack that dessert table, everything looks fabulous!

Teri {a foodie stays fit} April 24, 2013 at 6:41 am

Favorite bakery item is the kouign amann at Les Madeline’s in SLC. THE BEST EVER.

<3 you

Janetha April 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

I have to go now! I have never been.

Melissa April 24, 2013 at 7:37 am

my favorite bakery items in the Honey Nut Cinnamon roll at Haby’s Bakery in Castroville, where my parents live.

Sadly, I haven’t had one in about 8 years. And now that I am GF, I cant have anything they sell.

I also LOVED dark bread, which they also sell

Janetha April 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

are you kidding.. that sounds AMAZE

Ja @Ja on the RUN April 24, 2013 at 8:58 am

Everything looks yummy! :)

Jessica April 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

The last two posts I have tried to read on my iphone and there is a pic of a bowl of soup that takes over the entire screen and I cant read your post :( any ideas on if it is on my end or yours?
Your salad looks awesome!

Janetha April 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

Yikes! That is no good.. I will look into it. You are the first who has said this, thanks for the heads up!

Nicole C April 24, 2013 at 9:34 am

I went to a beautiful place in Napa over the weekend called Fish Story. Everything was quite delicious but my fish in chips were probably the best I have ever had. Ohhhhh and let me tell you, the gelato place called Frati Gelato Cafe, down the road from Fish Story, is hands down the best gelato ever. I am still dreaming of it, good thing I didn’t see the cannoli until we were headed out.

I don’t really have a favorite bakery item, I did have a millefeuille in Paris was almost too pretty to eat. I believe it was at Angelinas.

Linz @ Itz Linz April 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm

blackberry goat cheese cheesecake?! oh my gosh this sounds ridiculous!!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm

That looks like the cutest bakery! I love trying new places, it’s one of my favorite upsides to living in the city. I tried a lot of new restaurants this past weekend since i was out of town, so much fun!

BroccoliHut April 24, 2013 at 7:22 pm

That salad sounds fantastic! I love apples + cheese.
My favorite bakery item is a big, fat everything bagel. I used to eat them every morning in 10th grade, so my love for them goes way back :)

Sarah Beecroft April 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

Fellow SLC resident here. I LOVE that place and have been a few times since it opened. As far as pastries go, I highly recommend the kouign-amann. It’s to die for.

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 26, 2013 at 6:55 am

What a precious restaurant! I would totally be drawn in just by the outside design. [I also choose wine based on the label, and books by their covers.]

The concept of vegan options in a French boulangerie? Love.

[Confession: I don’t really know what boulangerie means, but I am going to use it anyway. And I think it means bakery. I DO know French food isn’t generally vegan friendly. ;)]